Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It looks like McCowans Coal Yard yard in Dromthacker has closed down. McCowans operated in Tralee over the last century and half. The name lives on however McCowans lane.

Yep, BnM announced some months ago that they were closing several depots around the country, including Tralee. Part of the process of moving the company away from dirty fossil fuels to focus on renewables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

It seems to have gone a little unnoticed... but Liam Heaslip has passed away...for those of you that don't recognize the name, you will remember him as the gentleman that serenaded the Rose of Tralee winner every year when she was crowned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

It seems to have gone a little unnoticed... but Liam Heaslip has passed away...for those of you that don't recognize the name, you will remember him as the gentleman that serenaded the Rose of Tralee winner every year when she was crowned.

Yeah, read that on Facebook earlier this evening. RIP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Did anyone go down to the food festival?
    We were down for a short while just before lunch, and the weather was starting to dry up. Not a huge amount of people down then, but it seemed to be getting busier when we were leaving. There's a family fun day in Bank Of Ireland tomorrow too, which a food demonstration and some kids activities.

Went into Nova, a lot of high protein foods for the gym bunnies.......potatoes, meat and chicken....and a selection of coeliac friendly foods...it's a bit out of the way .. people will drive by and not even notice it's there...so might have to do some advertising to get it into people's minds that it exists

• Advertisement

Went into Nova, a lot of high protein foods for the gym bunnies.......potatoes, meat and chicken....and a selection of coeliac friendly foods...it's a bit out of the way .. people will drive by and not even notice it's there...so might have to do some advertising to get it into people's minds that it exists

Is it an Eastern European type of establishment? Haven't seen it yet but the name gives me the impression that it's a Polish supermarket for some reason.

Quackster wrote: »
    Is it an Eastern European type of establishment? Haven't seen it yet but the name gives me the impression that it's a Polish supermarket for some reason.

Close.... he's from Cork :D

The Tralee Municipal District is inviting submissions from members of the public as part of a review of the part-pedestrianisation of The Mall in Tralee.

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/home3/tralee-md-invites-opinions-on-pedestrianisation-of-the-mall-in-tralee/

I think that pedestrianisation of the Mall has been a huge success..might even suggest that the hours should be slightly extended 10-6.30

Tralee retained gold medal status in the tidy towns for the 7the year and climbed 9 points! The judges comments can be read on this link.
    http://traleetoday.ie/heres-what-the-tidy-towns-judges-said-about-tralee/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

The pedestrianisation of the Mall is a great asset to the town - it is attractive and thoughtful for the citizens who use it. I was in Tralee a few weeks ago and noticed that there were quite a few American tourists walking around. The Mall accommodates a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. I am certainly going to respond to the council's opinion poll.

The pedestrianisation of the Mall is a great asset to Tralee. It is attractive and thoughtful for the people etc.
    I was in Tralee a few weeks ago and noticed a number of American tourists walking around. The Mall accommodates for a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. I will be responding to the council's opinion poll, and I hope many other people will also do so. I cannot imagine anyone not liking it ( except taxi drivers perhaps, although I may be wrong in that.)

Sorry for the two posts - the website indicated that my first post was not printed and I did a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The pedestrianisation of the Mall is a great asset to Tralee. It is attractive and thoughtful for the people etc.
    I was in Tralee a few weeks ago and noticed a number of American tourists walking around. The Mall accommodates for a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. I will be responding to the council's opinion poll, and I hope many other people will also do so. I cannot imagine anyone not liking it ( except taxi drivers perhaps, although I may be wrong in that.)

It would be a good thing to copy and paste that into an email (traleemunicipaldistrict@kerrycoco.ie) to show your support of it - you just have to put 'The Mall' into the subject line.

You can be sure the assorted belly-achers will be firing in loads of emails so it would be good to show support as well.

This is what I sent in case anyone wants a bit of inspiration:
    Hi,

I just wanted to state my support for the pedestrianisation of the Mall.

I think it creates a great amenity in the town centre for the people of Tralee for essentially no cost. International studies have shown that the way to invigorate ailing town centres is to prioritise pedestrians and make design decisions based on what will make the place more pleasant for people to walk around.

I must say I think the Council’s decision on this was inspired and brave – very well done to all involved. If anything I would support the gradual extension of the pedestrianisation over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I know.  I think it's a great asset for the town and I also think the pedestrianisation should be extended further into the evening.  Motorists have gotten used to taking the necessary orbital routes to get from A to B now so what difference does it make if they have to continue doing it into the evening - traffic will be quieter everywhere in the town as well?
     I was reading the Kerrys Eye the last time I was home and Hugh Culloty giving out because his car based customers cannot pick up pianos or heavy and fragile electronic equipment from his store in The Mall due to these restrictions.  I acknowledge that presents a challenge but if you are selling heavy goods, you should be located in a location that is suitable for handling of such products.  That is the reason retail parks came about in out of town locations - to enable large furniture/white goods/electronic retailers to have large big box retail units with ample car parking for customers.  
    Some might argue that Culloty has been there for years but times change, as do shopping habits and the way business is conducted so if he want's to consider having a viable business in the 21st century selling such large and heavy goods, he should consider a more peripheral location with easy access and parking for customers.  Business people need to move with the times and support initiatives that benefit the majority (ie town centre pedestrianisation) rather than the vested interest minorities.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I know.  I think it's a great asset for the town and I also think the pedestrianisation should be extended further into the evening.  Motorists have gotten used to taking the necessary orbital routes to get from A to B now so what difference does it make if they have to continue doing it into the evening - traffic will be quieter everywhere in the town as well?
     I was reading the Kerrys Eye the last time I was home and Hugh Culloty giving out because his car based customers cannot pick up pianos or heavy and fragile electronic equipment from his store in The Mall due to these restrictions.  I acknowledge that presents a challenge but if you are selling heavy goods, you should be located in a location that is suitable for handling of such products.  That is the reason retail parks came about in out of town locations - to enable large furniture/white goods/electronic retailers to have large big box retail units with ample car parking for customers.  
    Some might argue that Culloty has been there for years but times change, as do shopping habits and the way business is conducted so if he want's to consider having a viable business in the 21st century selling such large and heavy goods, he should consider a more peripheral location with easy access and parking for customers.  Business people need to move with the times and support initiatives that benefit the majority (ie town centre pedestrianisation) rather than the vested interest minorities.

He was the only one who has an issue with it by the looks of it. Couldn’t he have an option of his customers collecting the items from the rear of the shop, which I was assume backs into milk market lane or thereabouts?
    It’s not deal but it’s better than nothing. He is old school though so he may not want to accept the change.

The town is looking great, the mall in particular. It brings so much more life to the place and is a great asset. As you say, it could just be kept closed to traffic. it makes no real difference now that people are used to it and the fact Denny st is now two way makes it easier to get around. It Will be the taxi drivers who go mad over it though.

There are no back exits to Cullotys shop though, he's been there since the 80's owns the building and to think he's going to move to an industrial park is just not on.
    Ps... businesses across the road had the same issue CEX and Elverys, no back entrance for goods delivery and they were vocal in saying so

There are no back exits to Cullotys shop though, he's been there since the 80's owns the building and to think he's going to move to an industrial park is just not on.
    Ps... businesses across the road had the same issue CEX and Elverys, no back entrance for goods delivery and they were vocal in saying so

No, it's entirely his decision whether he wishes to move or not but he has to accept that, like any urban area, the town centre has been evolving over time and he has no right to expect otherwise.

He'd do well to read up on King Canute.

As for goods deliveries, like any pedestrian area anywhere in the country or further afield, that's facilitated in the early morning.

Quackster wrote: »
    No, it's entirely his decision whether he wishes to move or not but he has to accept that, like any urban area, the town centre has been evolving over time and he has no right to expect otherwise.

He'd do well to read up on King Canute.

As for goods deliveries, like any pedestrian area anywhere in the country or further afield, that's facilitated in the early morning.

That's just daft, how can you expect a business to move lock stock and barrel from a building they own, to a retail park...rent a property and try to compete with the multis while offering a personal service.... because of parking...
    As for deliverys...you may want to talk to DHL who would never deliver in the town centre before 12pm

Look...it's a small point..I'm all for extending the pedestrianised hours...and I'm not sure if Cullotys are against it anymore...has anyone asked?

That's just daft, how can you expect a business to move lock stock and barrel from a building they own, to a retail park...rent a property and try to compete with the multis while offering a personal service.... because of parking...
    As for deliverys...you may want to talk to DHL who would never deliver in the town centre before 12pm

Look...it's a small point..I'm all for extending the pedestrianised hours...and I'm not sure if Cullotys are against it anymore...has anyone asked?

He was quoted in the Kerry’s Eye about 2 weeks ago as still being against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

To be fair, I dont think too many Steinway and Sons leave Culloty's, and its not as if there was loads of parking there before anyway.
    I would have thought a pedestrianised 'feel good' Mall would be good for his business, but maybe not.

Perhaps a solution for Culloty's might be to establish a delivery service, and for a nominal extra charge they might be able to cover its cost. In addition, many people would be glad to have the merchandise taken to their homes -thus saving them the hassle - and there is a nice customer relations aspect to it too. Just a thought.

Perhaps a solution for Culloty's might be to establish a delivery service, and for a nominal extra charge they might be able to cover its cost. In addition, many people would be glad to have the merchandise taken to their homes -thus saving them the hassle - and there is a nice customer relations aspect to it too. Just a thought.

That's a good idea! As was mentioned too, it was never easy to park outside there anyway, so its not that much of a difference. Its not an easy place to carry a tv out of & get it to the car. A delivery service would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    That's a good idea! As was mentioned too, it was never easy to park outside there anyway, so its not that much of a difference. Its not an easy place to carry a tv out of & get it to the car. A delivery service would be ideal.

I say it’s a long time since he sold a tv. Way overpriced when compared to Harvey Norman’s and Curry’s. I was going to support local last Xmas for speaker but he was way ott with his prices. The personal service is mice but it’s not worth ten percent premium

I'd imagine if he wasnt selling TV's, he wouldnt stock them, a business like that will always have an element of long standing customers that wont mind paying a few quid extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Now that we are on to this subject, I use soundstore for most of my buying, but where is the cheapest place in Tralee for electricals, and floorcoverings, like carpet lino such like

goat2 wrote: »
    Now that we are on to this subject, I use soundstore for most of my buying, but where is the cheapest place in Tralee for electricals, and floorcoverings, like carpet lino such like

NOt sure but the cheapest, but Slatterys in Boherbee are meant to be good. I see them recommended a lot.

adam88 wrote: »
    I say it’s a long time since he sold a tv. Way overpriced when compared to Harvey Norman’s and Curry’s. I was going to support local last Xmas for speaker but he was way ott with his prices. The personal service is mice but it’s not worth ten percent premium

The normal bricks and mortar stores make between 8-18% on brown electrical goods.... Harvey Norman for years in Ireland were making huge losses...well over €100 million....all they were doing is servicing their debt...like a country,
    we seem to have got bogged down in discussing Tony Culloty... but it's the same for Walsh's, Tomo Burke and all the other small independent dealers around the county ..they can't afford to trade at a loss...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Read there that spar in Monavalley won’t be reopening. Wonder why

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    Read there that spar in Monavalley won’t be reopening. Wonder why

Thats a strange one alright, that was a very busy shop.
    Maybe the owners feel they have enough on their plate with the 2 other shops.:confused:
    I spoke to him last year and he was all for reopening it, said they would give it a facelift (and add a seated area) while they were at it.

Advertisement