Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

...but it's the same for Walsh's, Tomo Burke and all the other small independent dealers around the county ..they can't afford to trade at a loss...

Culloty, Walsh's and Tomo are all members of buying groups, so they are in a position to compete with Harvey N, Currys and Soundstore. Very often there is little or no difference in price between all of them them, but if there is you should haggle with the local guy for a better deal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

adam88 wrote: »
    Read there that spar in Monavalley won’t be reopening. Wonder why

Someone had mentioned a while back there were insurance issues. There may also have been a planning issue. They probably felt it wasn't worth the hassle anymore. Thankfully they are going to be refurbishing the Oakpark store though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

JonathonS wrote: »
    Culloty, Walsh's and Tomo are all members of buying groups, so they are in a position to compete with Harvey N, Currys and Soundstore. Very often there is little or no difference in price between all of them them, but if there is you should haggle with the local guy for a better deal.

Tomo Burke's are great to deal with. I've got a few things off the over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

JonathonS wrote: »

Cullotys aren't...and you ignored the part where Harvey's were losing over 100 million while trading here...it's basic economics ...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Cullotys aren't...and you ignored the part where Harvey's were losing over 100 million while trading here...it's basic economics ...

Is Expert not a purchasing group?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_(company)

In any case, back to the pedestrianisation issue, Culloty's continued opposition would put me off shopping there. Fortunately, we have Walsh Bros in the town centre as well (proving that an edge-of-town retail park isn't the only viable alternative).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Quackster wrote: »

In any case, back to the pedestrianisation issue, Culloty's continued opposition would put me off shopping there. Fortunately, we have Walsh Bros in the town centre as well (proving that an edge-of-town retail park isn't the only viable alternative).

It's a reformation of the old Natalex group...not really applicable price wise unless you sign up to take on white goods also... which Tony stopped doing,
    The point remains, that a rural buying group still can't afford to compete with a multi national that write of 10's of millions every year.
    Perhaps ask in Walsh's as to how the parking (and the town's general economy)has affected them... particularly in regards to the amount of staff working there these days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    adam88 wrote: »
    Read there that spar in Monavalley won’t be reopening. Wonder why

Someone had mentioned a while back there were insurance issues. There may also have been a planning issue. They probably felt it wasn't worth the hassle anymore. Thankfully they are going to be refurbishing the Oakpark store though!
    The immediate area is probably covered ok with the petrol station shop across the way and the recently reopened shop in Shanakill which I think also has a coffee shop within it.   It would be nice to have a decent replacement business of some sort in the old Spar unit as it has decent car parking and is a good focal point in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I've bought a few things from Culloty's over the years; laptop, electric guitar and amp and some small stuff, and was pleased with their prices for them. I didn't feel ripped-off at all. Although I do disagree with their stance on the pedestrianisation, I sent in my email to Kerry Coco, in favour of keeping it. On another matter, has anyone eaten at the Brogue Inn - I heard good things about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Troberto

Quackster wrote: »

Walsh Bros are living proof that a van and delivery service along with good friendly service and prices will allways overcome town centre issues and outsider rival multinationals

I've bought a few things from Culloty's over the years; laptop, electric guitar and amp and some small stuff, and was pleased with their prices for them. I didn't feel ripped-off at all. Although I do disagree with their stance on the pedestrianisation, I sent in my email to Kerry Coco, in favour of keeping it. On another matter, has anyone eaten at the Brogue Inn - I heard good things about it?

Brogue is great for steak and a decent pint and has a wide and varied menu too. Excellent

• Advertisement

Makes sense for them to refurbish Oakpark. Plenty of parking there. Parking was crazy in MonValley and heard they couldn’t reach agreement to sort it so selling. I’m sure someone else will develop something there.
    Nice small local would be great, walking distance and it has a liquor licence already.

Troberto wrote: »

Brogue is great for steak and a decent pint and has a wide and varied menu too. Excellent
    It won best carvery pub in Munster 2 years in a row recently too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Troberto wrote: »
    Walsh Bros are living proof that a van and delivery service along with good friendly service and prices will allways overcome town centre issues and outsider rival multinationals

My folks always bought stuff from them and I’ve bought stuff for my house off them as well. Dishwasher packed in few weeks ago, the lads arrived, took away the old one and fitted the new one for me. Very pleasant. I especially like dealing with the Walsh’s themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

1. Brogue Inn great food and service. Really enjoy going in there.
    2. Does Hugh Culloty not have a delivery service? I have often seen a branded van of theirs on the road. Maybe it’s just the owners van and only branded for advertising?
    3. Tomo Burke in Castleisland - great to deal with. Always hear great things about him.

There will be a free electrical waste collection at the Mart in Caherslee this Saturday between 10am-4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ongarboy wrote: »
    It won best carvery pub in Munster 2 years in a row recently too!

I love their breakfasts, great food, service, and plenty places to sit, I have had many there, and will be back, hope to have lunch there one of these days,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Best pizza place (sit down) in Tralee folks?

BPKS wrote: »
    Best pizza place (sit down) in Tralee folks?

Pizza Time in the square has always been good. But there’s a new place in Rock street that’s getting good reviews. I can’t remember name at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Pizza Time in the square has always been good. But there’s a new place in Rock street that’s getting good reviews. I can’t remember name at the minute

Amore Mio on Rock St.

Chez Christophe's in Courthouse Lane has a wood fired pizza oven, supposed to be good. I don't think Amore Mio's oven is wood fired

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Amore Mio on Rock St.

Chez Christophe's in Courthouse Lane has a wood fired pizza oven, supposed to be good. I don't think Amore Mio's oven is wood fired

Bella Bia hard to beat on value too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Not too long ago, a lovely looking concrete bench was placed out by the lock gates, a nice place to sit down and enjoy the view.

A couple of days ago I said to the wife "I'll be amazed if it isn't carried away some night", she came home today an said "it's fecking gone"

It's sad when things like this doesn't surprise me anymore

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Amore Mio on Rock St.

someone was telling my other half that the pizza in Chez Christophe's is amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Moved to Tralee last weekend and friends introduced us to Lana.
    Kids love it and I do too ;)
    Must try out chez Christophe.

If anyone sees any more benches lying around let me know. I need one for the garden. ( I'm from Dublin) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Anyone know or live in Ashgrove estate area out Ballyvelly?
    Whats it like etc

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Speaking of pizzas in Tralee does anyone know how long Pizza Time have been operating in town? Must be the bones of 30 years now. I remember as a child my parents going there.

E mac wrote: »
    Speaking of pizzas in Tralee does anyone know how long Pizza Time have been operating in town? Must be the bones of 30 years now. I remember as a child my parents going there.

I think its been there as long as those units were built mid 80s? I remember when that site beforehand was a makeshift car park even before Quinnsworth! The Tannery it was a known as.

E mac wrote: »

I remember being brought there as a child too. I'm not sure when it opened, but its definitely around 30 years or more! Not sure if its the same owner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I remember being brought there as a child too. I'm not sure when it opened, but its definitely around 30 years or more!

One of our obligatory trips of the summer for my kids was the Aquadome followed by Pizza Time. My eldest lad is 32 now and it was well-established when we started going. A real Tralee institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I remember going into PizzaTime in the early to mid eighties. That time the pubs closed at 11/11:30 and you could get / bring bottles of wine in after hours !
    The had a kind of Time Theme going with prints of watches and clocks on the wall. I remember the guys running the place telling me that the were sicilian.

In recent years the pizzas there have been poor quality. The best pizzas in town in recent times were from IL FORINIO on courthouse lane. I think Christophe is using the ovens there now.

RevBJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I remember going into PizzaTime in the early to mid eighties. That time the pubs closed at 11/11:30 and you could get / bring bottles of wine in after hours !
    The had a kind of Time Theme going with prints of watches and clocks on the wall. I remember the guys running the place telling me that the were sicilian.

In recent years the pizzas there have been poor quality. The best pizzas in town in recent times were from IL FORINIO on courthouse lane. I think Christophe is using the ovens there now.

RevBJ

It was owned by an Egyptian guy in the 90's I remember. Mumtaz or something like that was his name.

Advertisement