Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

xxyyzz wrote:
    I think they are putting a garden centre in there

Hopefully a decent one. How ballyseedy can class itself as a garden center is beyond me..

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I think the garden centre is going around the back near Randles Garage
    Werent McDonalds planning on extending the restaurant out into that yard, but then decided to refurb the existing building instead

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think the garden centre is going around the back near Randles Garage
    Werent McDonalds planning on extending the restaurant out into that yard, but then decided to refurb the existing building instead

No, not that carpark, sorry I meant the one to the side of Woodies. I should have said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I think they are putting a garden centre in there

The 'carpark' beside Woodies?

Ch chemist santa land is completly booked out already. Jebus its not even December yet

Yeah I read that this evening! Thankfully we weren't planning on doing a pay to see Santa this year, as he's still too young, but at least I'll know next year to book it early!

• Advertisement

Bit disappointed . We've done santa there every year since he was born and are on year 5. This will be the 1st year without the ch photo

Bit disappointed . We've done santa there every year since he was born and are on year 5. This will be the 1st year without the ch photo

I'd say there will be a lot of disappointed little ones. I felt my little one is just a bit young for it yet. He is only just able to say Santa Clause, but he hasn't a clue yet. He was totally freaked out when he saw Santa in Manor last year, thankfully that was free! We might do that one again just for the 3rd Christmas photo :) Next year he should be just the right age for the bigger ones!

Did you try the Museum festive hall one? its meant to be good.

Ah he will see santa alright . Work are sending us to the inec to see santa and the rte Concert do the snowman live. Just ch was sort of a tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    No, not that carpark, sorry I meant the one to the side of Woodies. I should have said.
    Oops, my mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Quackster wrote: »
    I'm assuming the cronic traffic congestion in the vicinity of the JJS Road is a direct result of the Corrib Oil Black Friday fuel sale.

Just filled up at Top Oil Cahersalee who are price-matching and, most importantly, queue-free! :D

Construction work at Aldi extension may be partly responsible.

• Advertisement

Sweeneys in Castle street is closing down! Retirement I think but closing Monday. That will be a loss to the area. There’s no convenience shop nearby, apart from supermarkets. They’ve been in business a long time! Best of luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Sweeneys in Castle street is closing down! Retirement I think but closing Monday. That will be a loss to the area. There’s no convenience shop nearby, apart from supermarkets. They’ve been in business a long time! Best of luck to them.

Yeah .heard that alright... Along with the green rooster, 2 well know establishments shutting the doors .... although Jimmy might let the Rooster by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Yeah .heard that alright... Along with the green rooster, 2 well know establishments shutting the doors .... although Jimmy might let the Rooster by all accounts.

No way, is the Green Rooster closing down!? Eat there most Friday’s as my weekly treat.

Forge83 wrote: »
    No way, is the Green Rooster closing down!? Eat there most Friday’s as my weekly treat.

It's been mentioned in the area...no official confirmation yet... but would suspect he's looking to get out, enjoy his crubeen earnings

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Anybody know where there is a toy drop off this year?

On another note, Jimmy might retire but I can't see the Rooster closing down.

On another note, Jimmy might retire but I can't see the Rooster closing down.

Most likely ...it would be a goldmine for anyone taking it on....
    Kinda wondering about Sweeny's though...been there for years...and announced today it's closing on Monday due to retirement...
    But perhaps it's just me being a cynical auld barsteward

Most likely ...it would be a goldmine for anyone taking it on....
    Kinda wondering about Sweeny's though...been there for years...and announced today it's closing on Monday due to retirement...
    But perhaps it's just me being a cynical auld barsteward

I heard that the Sweeney's building is just leased & the lease is coming up, as well as the owner of the building is selling. Most likely he won't want to sign a new lease at this stage. Plus the likelihood is the new owner might increase the rent! It does seem sudden though. Wonder why not see out Christmas and close in new year? But maybe that's down to new lease etc. That whole area will be without a convenience shop now. But I can't see it staying empty. Another franchise shop may go in there in the new year, who knows!

Seems it was on the cards for a bit... .the staff knew it was coming for a little while, but were hoping they'd get to the new year.. unfortunately not though.

Maybe Sweeney got caught selling off his cans of coke that were not for individual resale. Spotted him up in that place that's now the suit shop on numerous times buying the multi packs

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

The green rooster is advertising on facebook and instagram now, almost daily. Does Jimmy have a son who works there? It seems like someone young is taken over the social media side of it anyway. I can't see the rooster closing down, do they have a delivery service??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

bobdcow wrote: »
    The green rooster is advertising on facebook and instagram now, almost daily. Does Jimmy have a son who works there? It seems like someone young is taken over the social media side of it anyway. I can't see the rooster closing down, do they have a delivery service??

I’ve seen his daughter in there with him. To the best of my knowledge they don’t have a delivery service. Jimmy seems quite young to be retiring? It’s alwsys busy in there, a great business.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

If there is a family member working there i'd say it won't close down, daughter here is starving and mentioned a chipper :-)

bobdcow wrote: »
    If there is a family member working there i'd say it won't close down, daughter here is starving and mentioned a chipper :-)

You can buy the chipper off Jimmy... everyone's a winner!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Did they actually cook the food in those pictures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The rumours of Jimmy Greasy closing down are totally untrue I'm informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Maybe Sweeney got caught selling off his cans of coke that were not for individual resale. Spotted him up in that place that's now the suit shop on numerous times buying the multi packs

In fairness to him: the privately-owned Barry Group (one of the country’s largest wholesalers) is/was the company behind retail franchise chains Costcutter, Quik Pick, Carry Out and Buy Lo.

BuyLo could never make its mind up whether it was a wholesale cash and carry or a German style discounter.

kn wrote: »
    The rumours of Jimmy Greasy closing down are totally untrue I'm informed.

Yep, they confirmed that it’s untrue in the Kerry’s Eye this week! They are going nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Looks like Bailys Corner are seeking planning permission to extend their bar to the front at 30 Castle Street (assuming they have bought/leased the European premises next to their entrance?). It would give them much better visibility to passing tourists or visitors who may not otherwise be familiar with one of Tralee's best known hospitality gems.

http://mapping.kerrycoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLitev424/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=19a-181161&FromList=true

Streetview location

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2691888,-9.7038606,3a,75y,359.67h,101.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syqVJN1kbFnsNg75vIAgZ2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement

I noticed there's yet another hairdressers opening on Rock street (Rock n' Rollers I think its called)! I counted 7 on that street the other day, that includes the barbers there. That's mad! How do they all survive with so much competition around them!? Not to mention the others in the town centre!

Speaking of Rock street, has anyone been into that Yogoland place yet? I keep forgetting its there.

Advertisement