Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I wonder is Regatta closing down and maybe that’s where the wooden shop is going into? There’s a to let sign up on that unit for a few months now and they have sale on everything there at the moment. Might not be, just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I wonder is Regatta closing down and maybe that’s where the wooden shop is going into? There’s a to let sign up on that unit for a few months now and they have sale on everything there at the moment. Might not be, just a thought.

They have been told it's closing...not sure if anything else in due in there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Are there any decent fish shops like Wright's or beshoffs in Howth.

I miss Dublin for fish:-(

In Tralee? You have Quinlan's..or Quinlan's...and then theres Quinlan's...wide choice indeed !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

As mentioned there is Quinlans, which is very good, but there is also a fresh fish shop in Manor, Dingle Fish I think it’s called, in by McDonalds

There are fresh fish counters in Garveys, Dunnes and the big Tesco in Manor.

• Advertisement

In Tralee? You have Quinlan's..or Quinlan's...and then theres Quinlan's...wide choice indeed !

Anything outside of town in any of the fishing ports? Dingle Fenit or wherever else there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is O'Dowds fish shop still open in that little square behind Penneys? Can't say I've noticed it in years but maybe it's long gone?

Also Spa Seafoods a short 5km on way to Fenit is a good option!

Anything outside of town in any of the fishing ports? Dingle Fenit or wherever else there is!

I thought you were aiming for the real fish n' chips like they do in beshoffs, ... fishmongers ciarrai is correct, there is that place in manor besides Quinlan's in town.
    Dingle... there's bound to be loads I'd say...I remember buying mackerel directly from the boat 20 odd years ago... probably the last time I bought fresh fish I think

I thought you were aiming for the real fish n' chips like they do in beshoffs, ... for fishmongers.. ciarrai is correct, there is that place in manor besides Quinlan's in town.
    Dingle... there's bound to be loads I'd say...I remember buying mackerel directly from the boat 20 odd years ago... probably the last time I bought fresh fish I think

Fishmonger rather than a chipper. One of the costs of moving from the capital to the kingdom )

Used to buy a months supply in howth and freeze it. Tried the one in manor but wasn't too impressed with the quality.

Fishmonger rather than a chipper. One of the costs of moving from the capital to the kingdom )

Used to buy a months supply in howth and freeze it. Tried the one in manor but wasn't too impressed with the quality.

Spa Seafoods just outside town on the way to Fenit is good. I don't know if you can buy directly off trawlers anywhere. Maybe in Dingle. Have you tried Quinlans in the town centre for their fresh fish?

• Advertisement

Quinlan's actually got a delivery this morning at 9am, I think they get 3 fresh a week.. worth a shot anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

On Quinlans. If you go and read the info. It seems a fair bit of their fish is farmed.

Which is kinda false advertisinv from a fish shop if ya ask me

On Quinlans. If you go and read the info. It seems a fair bit of their fish is farmed.

Which is kinda false advertisinv from a fish shop if ya ask me

90% of fresh salmon sold is farmed, .. nothing new here as there are quotas in place
    Smoked salmon can be farmed or wild.
    Shellfish will be farmed....
    cod, whiting, halibut etc are all wild

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

My FIL lives out camp direction, and he has a lad from dingle direction who drops fresh fish out to him once a week on his way into town to supply some of the shops. I'll see if I can get the guys details off him for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

oeb wrote: »
    My FIL lives out camp direction, and he has a lad from dingle direction who drops fresh fish out to him once a week on his way into town to supply some of the shops. I'll see if I can get the guys details off him for you.

That's Sheehys fish, does house calls around Camp and probably all along route from Dingle every Wednesday, nice fish too. Have a restaurant in Dingle too called Anchor Down. Didn't think he continued on to Tralee after those deliveries though as he calls to my house quite late on Wednesday and while he has a great selection in the van it's all laid out like a fish counter, never noticed large amounts in there.

Either way it's good fish and fairly sure they have a sales outlet too in Dingle, might be a little kiosk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

phormium wrote: »
    That's Sheehys fish, does house calls around Camp and probably all along route from Dingle every Wednesday, nice fish too. Have a restaurant in Dingle too called Anchor Down. Didn't think he continued on to Tralee after those deliveries though as he calls to my house quite late on Wednesday and while he has a great selection in the van it's all laid out like a fish counter, never noticed large amounts in there.

Either way it's good fish and fairly sure they have a sales outlet too in Dingle, might be a little kiosk.

I just assumed he was heading into Tralee afterwards. Saw the van once or twice when I was out there, had never spoken to him though.

oeb wrote: »
    I just assumed he was heading into Tralee afterwards. Saw the van once or twice when I was out there, had never spoken to him though.

I'll check him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

For many years there was only one fishmonger in town Dowds in the small square at the back of Penny’s. Before that there was one on Bridge st.

Quinlans one of the best fish outfits in the country in my opinion. Based out of cahersiveen they land the fish from their own boats. The operate fish shops in cahersiveen, Reynard, killarney killorglin and Tralee. In recent years they have taken a leaf from Macdonaghs in Galway and have operated fish and chip shops catering to tourists and locals alike. The also cook up fish pies n stuff. Their farmed salmon is excellent and is farmed in Ireland (not the imported Scottish or Norwegian stuff).

Spa seafoods is also excellent. I have never got fish in manor so can’t comment.
    The Scottish salmon in Garveys SV is not very nice.

All in all I think quinlans is a great Kerry success story and they deserve to be upported.

RevBJ

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

For anyone living near Castleisland Daly's is worth a look. Another Cahersiveen success story.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Best place to get a nice takeaway in town lads? Haven't gotten one in years. French/Italian or some form Asian food be it Thai/Indian/Chinese would be our preference

• Advertisement

Best place to get a nice takeaway in town lads? Haven't gotten one in years. French/Italian or some form Asian food be it Thai/Indian/Chinese would be our preference

I really like Lana in Ashe street for Asian food. You can order online with them and they do take-away, but only collection, no delivery.
    Padoga in Manor is a nice Chinese too, and they now have online orders and they deliver.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I really like Lana in Ashe street for Asian food. You can order online with them and they do take-away, but only collection, no delivery.
    Padoga in Manor is a nice Chinese too, and they now have online orders and they deliver.
    Second Lana and the free ice cream.
    Was recommended to me when we moved to Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Lana for me. Asian fusion type

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I think the Rose garden is a decent Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Did anyone hear the rumour of Val O Shea's/Dante's reopening?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I didn't but would be delighted if that was true. It's a lovely corner period building that is a shame to see shuttered and dead.

However, I question the financial viability of opening more pubs as we enter the 2020s. There is an ongoing cultural and social shift away from drinking in the pub multiple nights a week (or even one night for that matter). Younger people do not use pubs to interact with friends or find partners/hook ups etc when they've got Snapchat/Instagram/Tinder etc. Drink driving is (thankfully) socially unacceptable too, particularly among younger generations.

It would be great to see it reopen,but I think it’s been a rumour for a while now. I thought I heard the Licence was sold there?

I did hear that the old Fabric was going to turned into a gym. Don’t know how true it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I was in the old No 4 on the Square a couple of Fridays ago and it was near empty even with music going. So I would question the viability of another pub down that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

kn wrote: »
    I was in the old No 4 on the Square a couple of Fridays ago and it was near empty even with music going. So I would question the viability of another pub down that direction.

Why was it so quiet though? Maybe the wrong time of the year?

I used to love Tralee. Well I still do. I've always found it a nice town.

I work up the country and for some reason it has a name for being a rough town. Off the top of my head I don't think I've ever seen any problems there

• Advertisement

The Regatta shop in Ashe street has a relocation sale of up to 70% off everything. They are moving upstairs in Shaws it says on their poster.

Advertisement