Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Irish water will be working in the boherbee area of town starting next Monday... traffic will be 1 way until the works are completed...in approx 3 months

We were told 5 weeks by them last week! Now today its going to take 3 months! Chamber alliance didn't seem to know about it until today and said the whole road would be closed, which it won't be. Traffic will be a Nightmare!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    We were told 5 weeks by them last week! Now today its going to take 3 months! Chamber alliance didn't seem to know about it until today and said the whole road would be closed, which it won't be. Traffic will be a Nightmare!!!

Fun times ahead....I'll be robbing all their cones anyways on my way to work ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Apparently The old Vals pub is to reopen and in the next couple of months!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Was in one section of the Manor West today with an octogenarian friend who needed to renew his driving licence. He was amazed at the sheer wide open space within the building we were in. The toilet facilities are as good as you'd see anywhere and there was a huge variety of business's all under one roof which seemed to be tipping away. There's a modern looking barber unit set up which was busy, Tesco was busy and all the other units were doing alright for a Thursday afternoon.

I picked up a top and my buddy got a rain jacket in Debenham's both at about 70% off with warranty for life. He got his licence business done nice and quickly, did a bit of shopping in Tesco and he couldn't be happier with his visit to Tralee.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Irish water will be working in the boherbee area of town starting next Monday... traffic will be 1 way until the works are completed...in approx 3 months

I don't understand why a meeting with residents & businesses wasn't set up to give everyone the correct information. The letter we received from Irish water last week said works would take 5 weeks. The official from Irish water also told us that it would be done in sections, from one end of Boherbee, down to Castle STreet. We have received very conflicting information and no correspondence from the council. Its ridiculous. As a business in the area we are not happy, nor are other businesses in the area. Mainly due to the lack of information.

3 months is a long time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

I don't understand why a meeting with residents & businesses wasn't set up to give everyone the correct information. The letter we received from Irish water last week said works would take 5 weeks. The official from Irish water also told us that it would be done in sections, from one end of Boherbee, down to Castle STreet. We have received very conflicting information and no correspondence from the council. Its ridiculous. As a business in the area we are not happy, nor are other businesses in the area. Mainly due to the lack of information.

3 months is a long time!!

only business i can really see suffering from a one way system be the off licence or maybe viva burg and even at that plenty of near by carparks not the end of the world and the work needs doing - will be madness at school time though :eek:

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    only business i can really see suffering from a one way system be the off licence or maybe viva burg and even at that plenty of near by carparks not the end of the world and the work needs doing - will be madness at school time though :eek:

Boherbee would be the hub road into town in the morning for bank workers and all the shops in the town centre....it's going to be disastrous.
    There would be a furniture store, bakers , hairdressers carpet shop and some office spaces rented as well.

Florist and bakery are also going to suffer. As well as Dom o’Donnells. No idea how any deliveries will get to businesses and we don’t know if it’s going to be closed in sections. We can’t get a straight answer from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Florist and bakery are also going to suffer. As well as Dom o’Donnells. No idea how any deliveries will get to businesses and we don’t know if it’s going to be closed in sections. We can’t get a straight answer from anyone.

Do you know in which direction the one way system will operate ?

Do you know in which direction the one way system will operate ?

We don't even know that, we still don't have much information. Getting different bits of info all day. I am waiting to hear back from Tralee Chamber alliance who were to meet with the council today, so hopefully they will have some clear information for us.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure will it be a 1 way....or more of a stop/go system....that's more likely... but will bring traffic to a standstill at school times

An update on the road works from the Tralee Chamber alliance facebook page:

UPDATE:
    Castle Street to Moyderwell Watermain Works
    As of this evening the following is the update from KCC/Irish Water on the planned works. As more definitive details are made available we will continue to engage with KCC/Irish Water on behalf of our members and the wider local business community to minimise disruption and work to reduce the timeframe.
    From KCC:
    “The actual works to go ahead immediately are from Moyderwell Cross to The Grotto.
    This job will be done over 5 weeks starting Monday 11th February.
    There will be a one-way traffic system, involving Edward St, John Joe Sheehy Rd., Boherbee and Upr. Castle St., in place. Traffic will be allowed ‘down’ Boherbee from the Grotto end.
    The Benner’s – Moyderwell length is also to be subsequently done (after) in the coming period, but the exact time schedule for this section has not yet been decided. There are issues, including that of traffic, to be resolved.
    No decision has been made on the traffic system for that part of the job.
    A Road Opening Licence has not yet been issued by KCC to the contractor for that part of the job.”

Great crowd around the town today & this evening by all accounts. The pubs will be happy tonight! Good result in the match too!

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Good win for ye, hightailed it back to civilization myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Good win for ye, hightailed it back to civilization myself.

You mean we lost??

Well for you getting back to the big smoke (less). I told them I work it wasn't worth while them turning up!!!

I've to face them again Monday.

There really should be a stop go system in Boherbee while they do this road works. It’s too much having all traffic coming from town centre havubgnto turn left onto Edward Street. The traffic is nuts there’s now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

There really should be a stop go system in Boherbee while they do this road works. It’s too much having all traffic coming from town centre havubgnto turn left onto Edward Street. The traffic is nuts there’s now.

I saw traffic forcing its way down boherbee against the one way system today a little after 3pm...if that keeps up it's going to lead to some nasty accidents

I saw traffic forcing its way down boherbee against the one way system today a little after 3pm...if that keeps up it's going to lead to some nasty accidents

Yep, it’s happening all day. People paying no attention or just chancing their arm. Really bad traffic management by the council on this one.

Boherbee is a disaster at the moment. They have blocked off so much of the road that it is very hard to cross over. The school lollypop man can't seem to get the kids safely across the road at the moment as there is no access up to Slatt's carpark. Its a safety issue if an ambulance or fire engine needed to get to any of the properties, they have barricaded off so much of the path. The traffic management is a joke and today I saw someone come up castle street against cars and then turned right onto Moyderwell!! The businesses in the street are not happy and can't get answers from anyone. Its just a disaster.

edited to update:
    They have now opened back up access from Boherbee into Slatt's carpark. This morning there was no access, and no signs to say it was blocked and no way through which was forcing cars to reverse back up into the carpark when they realised!

Edited again to say they downed tools at 3pm for the weekend! There is thankfully access to Slatts lane/carpark though.

There seemed to be some sort of sinkhole appear in Oakpark, between the entrance to Riverside and Oaklands. I was driving up yesterday eve and drove into a great big dip in road that I didn't notice and it seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. They had a huge big hole dug in the road this morning fixing it. It couldn't have been just a pothole as the area they dug today was quite big.

Nice to see better traffic management plan there with timer lights, compared to the joke of a traffic management in Boherbee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

i drove down boherbue yesterday at 11 am and encountered 3 ignorant idiots driving up and causing chaos, guards should be doing something rather than spotting talent down at the run

Jack & Jones in Abbey court are closing. Apparently the rent is being increased and as their lease is up they won’t be renewing it. They have a sale on at the moment. They havent ruled out reopening in another unit, but I don’t think they know when or where yet.

Unfair on the staff who have more or less lost their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

A colleague has asked me is there anyone who does one to one irish conversational lessons in Tralee? Anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

loads of Irish teachers do grinds for school kids.

Just hire one of them. Would be expensive enough though, 30-50 an hour.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    A colleague has asked me is there anyone who does one to one irish conversational lessons in Tralee? Anyone help?

Maybe contact Gaelcholaiste Chiarrai Irish secondary school. They may have a list of tutors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

i drove down boherbue yesterday at 11 am and encountered 3 ignorant idiots driving up and causing chaos, guards should be doing something rather than spotting talent down at the run

Everyone seems to be ignoring the signage at Boherbee. Not that it is especially clear in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Is there an election coming up soon? I noticed a poster for a politician on poles whilst driving from Listowel to Tralee today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Is there an election coming up soon? I noticed a poster for a politician on poles whilst driving from Listowel to Tralee today.

Not till the end of May (Local and MEP elections are on the 24th)

kn wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be ignoring the signage at Boherbee. Not that it is especially clear in the first place.

Saw the Gardai stopping a woman at the barriers who was trying to drive up. Two seconds later a guy came out of the laneway and turned left straight up the one way part where they are now working further up Boherbee. People are taking very little notice of the signs, which as you said aren't very clear anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

oeb wrote: »
    Not till the end of May (Local and MEP elections are on the 24th)

She's getting an early start so. I hadn't heard of her before seeing the poster.
    Couldn't make out which party - the letters are indistinct because of typeset and colour background. That might be intentional though.

Advertisement