Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Finally the council put in a right turn feeder light at the Edward Street junction onto John Joe Sheehy Road! It’s been impossible to turn right there, especially since they diverted traffic from road works. Will be so much easier now.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Finally the council put in a right turn feeder light at the Edward Street junction onto John Joe Sheehy Road! It’s been impossible to turn right there, especially since they diverted traffic from road works. Will be so much easier now.

And it's causing much increased congestion of traffic coming from Oakpark because the right-arrow lights are not properly sequenced to the respective levels of traffic turning right at the junction from each direction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    And it's causing much increased congestion of traffic coming from Oakpark because the right-arrow lights are not properly sequenced to the respective levels of traffic turning right at the junction from each direction.

Yeah I got caught in the tailback from that! Hopefully it’s sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

She's getting an early start so. I hadn't heard of her before seeing the poster.
    Couldn't make out which party - the letters are indistinct because of typeset and colour background. That might be intentional though.

I think I saw some of Sean Kellys posters down by the garden center too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Big yawn for Tralee.

Any positive news?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Big yawn for Tralee.

Any positive news?

It's stopped raining for a while!!

It sure rains a lot in Kerry::(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Big yawn for Tralee.

Any positive news?

Kerry V Mayo is a sell out apparently

The 16th of March is going to be a busy one with the marathon on and the match on later that evening

Should make for a good Paddy's weekend in Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Is there an election coming up soon? I noticed a poster for a politician on poles whilst driving from Listowel to Tralee today.

If its an election poster its illegal. There is a growing trend of politicians putting up posters, which are almost identical to election posters, to advertise an event which (they think) is of great public interest. Such posters are unfortunately exempted under the Planning and Development Regulations, 2001-2015, but one of the conditions states "No such advertisement shall be exhibited more than 2.5 metres above ground level or be glued, pasted or otherwise affixed to any structure other than an advertisement structure."

Queries etc should be addressed to the Planning Dept in Kerry CoCo.

You may read a summary of the Regs on election posters on the Dept of Communications, Climate Action and Environment website :https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/environment/topics/waste/litter/Pages/Election-Posters0331-3567.aspx

The Planning Regs (pdf): https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad%2C32879%2Cen.pdf

I saw an election poster for Cllr. Aoife Thornton up on the Listowel road. I couldn't tell what it said as it was falling off the pole!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I saw an election poster for Cllr. Aoife Thornton up on the Listowel road. I couldn't tell what it said as it was falling off the pole!

Ya I've seen those too. Something to do with some meeting and impact of something or other. Don't think it was Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Ya I've seen those too. Something to do with some meeting and impact of something or other. Don't think it was Brexit.

Saw poster of her on a esb pole here about a meeting on local issues that took place in village last night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

All this talk about her being up the pole will have people jumping to conclusions!! :D:D:D

ongarboy wrote: »
    All this talk about her being up the pole will have people jumping to conclusions!! :D:D:D

I know her too, really nice lady. I went to the same secondary school as her! She's actually a first cousin of Eamonn Fitzmaurice.

Great to see Banna Strand come second in TripAdvisor’s 2019 Travellers’ Choice awards for beaches! Six Kerry beaches featured on the list, also including Inch strand at number 3 and Coumeenoole Beach just outside Dun Chaoin in at number 6 (one of my favourite beaches!).

Top 10 beaches in Ireland
    1. Inchdoney Beach, Clonakilty
    2. Banna Strand, Tralee
    3. Inch Beach, Inch
    4. Strandhill Beach, Strandhill
    5. Derrynane Beach, Caherdaniel
    6. Coumeenoole Beach, Dingle
    7. Lahinch Beach, Lahinch
    8. Rossbeigh Beach, Glenbeigh
    9. Ladies Beach, Ballybunion
    10.Portmarnock Beach, Portmarnock

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/tripadvisor-s-top-irish-beach-revealed-1.3806688?fbclid=IwAR1FK95CETLjBjaST8-sCDlwGRhUWgZdDmbWWEYfQSFcV6ju1a6_ndrXyNY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Great to see Banna Strand come second in TripAdvisor’s 2019 Travellers’ Choice awards for beaches!
    Three Kerry beaches featured on the list, also including Inch strand at number 3 and Coumeenoole Beach just outside Dun Chaoin in at number 6 (one of my favourite beaches!).

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/tripadvisor-s-top-irish-beach-revealed-1.3806688?fbclid=IwAR1FK95CETLjBjaST8-sCDlwGRhUWgZdDmbWWEYfQSFcV6ju1a6_ndrXyNY

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Sorry, yes its 6. Thanks!

Roundys bar is closed for a couple of weeks as the owners plan to take it over again and do a bit of renovations. They are looking for staff by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Roundys bar is closed for a couple of weeks as the owners plan to take it over again and do a bit of renovations. They are looking for staff by the way!

Doesn't seem to have the greatest luck that place...I've been there twice in my life.. just a little out of sight,out of mind in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Is that the place down near the Ashe hotel?

Is that the place down near the Ashe hotel?

Yes, that’s the one. Nice bar. The previous management have been running it for the last 5 years.

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to have the greatest luck that place...I've been there twice in my life.. just a little out of sight,out of mind in my case.

I haven’t been out much the past 3 years since having a baby, but it tends to be my go to pub, mainly as I love the cocktails! Good music in there too. But n the small side so not always comfortable! Hopefully the owners will keep it in the same theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CinderKone

Sells Hoegaarden in a large glass!

It's looking like at least 2019 before works start on a permanent dome/events centre!

I posted this in 2017 when I read the permanent dome would start to be built. It’s now March 2019 and I’ve Not heard a thing about it!? Anyone know what’s happening with it?

I see CH Chemists are investing in a €1.5 million upgrade of their store in town and will temporarily move some of their services to empty units in Abbey Court. The new look revamped store will open during the summer.

Also, I see An Bord Pleanala have given permission to change the old Xtravision unit in Manor West to be a cafe and dismissed objections by third parties. I believe it is Starbucks who are behind the this application.

Finally, the Tralee Chamber Alliance and town council have written to Dunnes Stores CEO Margaret Heffernan to complain about their long vacant store in the town centre lying idle and asked that her company either sell it, re-open it or do something proactive with it. Unlikely to find any sympathy from profit at whatever cost Dunnes but hopefully something might happen!

ongarboy wrote: »
    I see CH Chemists are investing in a €1.5 million upgrade of their store in town and will temporarily move some of their services to empty units in Abbey Court. The new look revamped store will open during the summer.

Also, I see An Bord Pleanala have given permission to change the old Xtravision unit in Manor West to be a cafe and dismissed objections by third parties. I believe it is Starbucks who are behind the this application.

Finally, the Tralee Chamber Alliance and town council have written to Dunnes Stores CEO Margaret Heffernan to complain about their long vacant store in the town centre lying idle and asked that her company either sell it, re-open it or do something proactive with it. Unlikely to find any sympathy from profit at whatever cost Dunnes but hopefully something might happen!

Starbucks applied for planning permission in march of last year to convert the old xtravision store...the wheels turn slowly.. but no way they could refuse permission

Also DV8 have been in talks to take on the old Dunnes building but it seems to be at a bit of a standstill these times

Starbucks applied for planning permission in march of last year to convert the old xtravision store...the wheels turn slowly.. but no way they could refuse permission

Also DV8 have been in talks to take on the old Dunnes building but it seems to be at a bit of a standstill these times

It was someone from Killarney that objected to Starbucks ....why:confused::confused: How does it impact him where locals and visitors to Tralee choose to have their coffee? According to the link below, his objection was around insufficient parking in the area.....er hello, there's a vacant site for parking in front of Debenhams that's always empty apart from maybe the week before Christmas. Sounds like a competitor not happy with new competition and dressing it up as concern for the locality (similar to RGDATA objecting to every Lidl and Aldi that is proposed)

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/302891.htm

CH are moving into the old Seancara and O’Neils pharmacy units in abbey court while they do their renovations. Their pharmacy and opticians are staying in current unti as they have back door access to them. Look forward to seeing their new upgraded store when it’s done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

At least Starbucks will be far enough out of town not to effect the businesses there.

At least Starbucks will be far enough out of town not to effect the businesses there.

You mean Gloria Jeans and the new Costa store..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Gloria jeans have taken a bit of a hit since Costa opened I'd imagine

Advertisement