Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Had a coffee in gloria jeans recently and was shocked at the price. It was dearer than Dublin for what was a mediocre coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Had a coffee in gloria jeans recently and was shocked at the price. It was dearer than Dublin for what was a mediocre coffee.

How much in the difference?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

New traffic light set up is a nightmare at the bus station. Massive tail backs coming from Oakpark.

adam88 wrote: »
    New traffic light set up is a nightmare at the bus station. Massive tail backs coming from Oakpark.

Got stuck there this morning. First traffic jam I've experienced since moving down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ongarboy wrote: »
    It was someone from Killarney that objected to Starbucks ....why:confused::confused: How does it impact him where locals and visitors to Tralee choose to have their coffee? According to the link below, his objection was around insufficient parking in the area.....er hello, there's a vacant site for parking in front of Debenhams that's always empty apart from maybe the week before Christmas. Sounds like a competitor not happy with new competition and dressing it up as concern for the locality (similar to RGDATA objecting to every Lidl and Aldi that is proposed)

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/302891.htm

"Condition 3: Hours of operation between 0800 and 2000 only."

8 PM seems a little early to be closing every day, considering that it's 9PM or 10PM in the Limerick Starbucks .

• Advertisement

How much in the difference?

It was over 3 in GJ's . Never paid more than 2.80in Dublin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The problem is the green light isn’t changing really quickly and barely letting 3 cars 5eough before going to red again. It’s crazy there this evening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

It was over 3 in GJ's . Never paid more than 2.80in Dublin

Was that for just an Americano? The small sized cappuccino or lattes are smaller than a small in Costa and more expensive, and worse tasting than Costa! I go to the Ugly Mug in town mostly, they sell Badger & Dodo coffee which is really nice. If in Manor we would get a coffee in Costa or the Bookshelf.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Was that for just an Americano? The small sized cappuccino or lattes are smaller than a small in Costa and more expensive, and worse tasting than Costa! I go to the Ugly Mug in town mostly, they sell Badger & Dodo coffee which is really nice. If in Manor we would get a coffee in Costa or the Bookshelf.

It was regular. Must check out the ugly mug. The roast house does a nice coffee.
    I didn't think I'd be paying Dublin prices in Kerry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

I tend to find Gloria Jeans a bit underwhelming and tending on the expensive side too. Costa is OK but I find it a bit lacking in something, probably atmosphere or a sense of 'home baked as opposed to mass produced snacks'.
    I'd second The Roast House and The Daily Grind is also good as is Yummy café. Ugly Mug is pretty good and I wish them well in their endeavours but I don't quite get the vibe about it that I've read about and heard from others.

• Advertisement

It was regular. Must check out the ugly mug. The roast house does a nice coffee.

They have all upped their prices since the 9%vat was increased too!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's my experience as a mochaholic, that the likes of Starbucks, Costa, and Insomnia charge the same prices all over the country.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's my experience as a mochaholic, that the likes of Starbucks, Costa, and Insomnia charge the same prices all over the country.

They do , but so do McDonald's and burger king.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Is this a temporary arrangement while Coffey's lay the new water main in Boherbue and its one way inbound?

Is this a temporary arrangement while Coffey's lay the new water main in Boherbue and its one way inbound?

Don't think so. They have put in a new feeder light and actually removed the old traffic lights completely. They seem to have the timer on wrong so the green is changing too quickly to red.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Don't think so. They have put in a new feeder light and actually removed the old traffic lights completely. They seem to have the timer on wrong so the green is changing too quickly to red.

How can unqualified lay people like us spot the flaws immediately with this set up yet trained and well compensated "professional" traffic management consultants who obviously designed and activated this set up were not able to monitor and adjust the light sequencing accordingly for the approach roads that have the busiest traffic flows??!! I welcome the introduction of feeder lights for all approaches but they need to be sequenced better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

The old Bridge Inn / Minstrels bar and Sol travel will be demolished over the next few weeks and a 5 story 26 bed guesthouse..bar/restaurant and a retail unit will be built in their place...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Are Sol Travel still operating in Tralee?

E mac wrote: »
    Are Sol Travel still operating in Tralee?

Yes, they are just a few doors up from Bridge street dental, opposite the church.

It doesn’t look like the old Vals is reopening after all. I had heard that one of the Balkyroe hotel guys was taking it over, but I’ve seen a for sale sign go back up in the past couple of weeks. No sign of any work going on in there.

Also, Fabric is reopening as a gym. It’s being taken on by Maeve Frawley who has a fitness studio in Monavalley. She also owns a gym in Newcastle west. All 5e best to her. She a lovely woman and a very hard worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The old Bridge Inn / Minstrels bar and Sol travel will be demolished over the next few weeks and a 5 story 26 bed guesthouse..bar/restaurant and a retail unit will be built in their place...

Some more info below. Road closures from Mar 26-29 in the area to facilitate the demolition. It will be a great upgrade to that area as those buildings have been deteriorating for years.

http://traleetoday.ie/work-on-development-at-former-bridge-inn-expected-to-begin-this-month/

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

ongarboy wrote: »
    How can unqualified lay people like us spot the flaws immediately ..
    It looks like this is a work in progress. There are still barriers and hoods over the pedestrian lights on the Edward St / NCR corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

I find since the Aldi store on JJ Sheehy road completed its renovation..that people just pull up and park on the road outside the store front.
    Unacceptable behaviour as it cuts across a cycle lane and makes crossing the road for pedestrians even more hazardous than normal...would the gardai not just spend an hour or 2 there someday booking people and that would stop it very quickly

I find since the Aldi store on JJ Sheehy road completed its renovation..that people just pull up and park on the road outside the store front.
    Unacceptable behaviour as it cuts across a cycle lane and makes crossing the road for pedestrians even more hazardous than normal...would the gardai not just spend an hour or 2 there someday booking people and that would stop it very quickly

Have you asked them?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

GAA heads are the worst offenders. Any time a match is on, they'll park with reckless abandon in that lane outside Aldi and the mandatory cycle lanes on both sides of the road. The sheer arrogance and ignorance of such **** is breathtaking!

Similarly on Brewery Road with mass goers and the weirdos who watch dogs running round in circles. And the lazy ****es who park in the cycle lanes on Dan Spring road rather than actually pulling into the Green to collect their bubble-wrapped snowflake kids.

Gardai, it appears, couldn't care less and so anarchy reins.

Quackster wrote: »
    GAA heads are the worst offenders. Any time a match is on, they'll park with reckless abandon in that lane outside Aldi and the mandatory cycle lanes on both sides of the road. The sheer arrogance and ignorance of such **** is breathtaking!

Similarly on Brewery Road with mass goers and the weirdos who watch dogs running round in circles. And the lazy ****es who park in the cycle lanes on Dan Spring road rather than actually pulling into the Green to collect their bubble-wrapped snowflake kids.

Is that a horse running in listowel?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Quackster wrote: »

Guess you feel better now having got that off your chest !!!!
    Bring back hanging

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Boherbee back to normal with two way traffic returning earlier today

Boherbee back to normal with two way traffic returning earlier today

I was just about to post the same thing. Just in time for the parade. They will have to start doing the actual water connections to the buildings soon though, which may mean more digging up, but on the paths I think. Then Castle street is next, but I don't know when that's due to begin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Is that a horse running in listowel?;)

:D

Advertisement