Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Do anyone know, when is the new "Tralee Primary Medical Centre" is due to open in Edwards street? or is it like the Children Hospital in Dublin !!

Clounalour medical centre are moving in there, and very soon too. I was in their doctors surgery a couple of weeks ago and they had a notice up to say it would be around the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

ongarboy wrote: »
    Not looking good for Debenhams globally which have gone into administration with 50 yet to be announced stores to close. It said the most under-performing stores would shut - hopefully Tralee isn't part of that list!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47864580

My understanding of DEBENHAMS situation is that administration and store closures apply to Debenhams UK Ltd.I dont think Debenhams IRL Ltd is affected as the stores are supposedly profitable
    However i guess if the major bussiness falls it may bring down the smaller operation too

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Regarding the Primary Care Centre, it seems like they have signs for Flynn Construction plastered on the windows for the last 2 years suggesting work underway but no actual visible progress!

Par for the course when dealing with the HSE unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

No only Late Bars. The Abbey, Hennessy’s, The Blasket and Benners Hotel.
    Do they charge an admission after a certain hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Do they charge an admission after a certain hour?

The others definitely don't although Abbey used to charge a fiver but I think that has been scrapped too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The others definitely don't although Abbey used to charge a fiver but I think that has been scrapped too.

I know it costs a few bob extra to pay for overheads for a late bar but in all fairness any place charging an admission fee would want to be offering something to justify it with.

The market for late night drinking has taken a wallop.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think the Abbey had to stop charging because no one seems to be going there anymore, its all The Blasket and Hennessy's now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I know it costs a few bob extra to pay for overheads for a late bar but in all fairness any place charging an admission fee would want to be offering something to justify it with.

The market for late night drinking has taken a wallop.

It's been documented that apparently Generation X and Y(ie those born before 1990) were the last generation of big drinkers. Millennials in general have less interest in consuming alcohol and are more interested in their physical health and appearance and alcohol conflicts with that. Also, the only way people met, communicated, hooked up, dated etc in the pre-smartphone era was often in the pub or nightclub/disco where drink went hand in hand. There isn't that dependency on drinking or late night venues as much any longer to interact with others when you can do it all from your phone hence the disappearance or reduction of bars and clubs everywhere - not just Tralee.

I'm actually surprised that Tralee can still sustain the number of bars it still has. How do some of them survive financially Sunday to Thursday nights (and days) when they are not even that particularly busy on Friday or Saturday nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any recommendations for an independent mechanic in Tralee for a basic enough car service? Any good reviews or otherwise of George Poff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Any recommendations for an independent mechanic in Tralee for a basic enough car service? Any good reviews or otherwise of George Poff?

Cunningham motors in Clash are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Polish lad across the way from applegreen down by Lidl The father swear by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The guy down next to Windmill Glazing is good too. Use him myself

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CinderKone

Does anyone know if there is a gym/weights room that can be used just during the Easter period - a week before and after?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

CinderKone wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a gym/weights room that can be used just during the Easter period - a week before and after?

Hercules gym in Monavalley can be used pay as you go. They may have shorter opening hours during the Easter weekend. https://www.facebook.com/hercules.tbc/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm assuming that TK Maxx's Homesense isn't opening up in the old tile/carpet place in Manor West now, as the unit now has "To Let" signs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Ben Slimm is one of the earliest out with his posters - presumably a deliberate strategy by Labour to build up his profile, also plenty of Norma Foley, Sammy Locke and Seán Kelly billboards around.

Ben Slimm is one of the earliest out with his posters - presumably a deliberate strategy by Labour to build up his profile, also plenty of Norma Foley, Sammy Locke and Seán Kelly billboards around.

I wish election posters weren’t allowed!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm assuming that TK Maxx's Homesense isn't opening up in the old tile/carpet place in Manor West now, as the unit now has "To Let" signs on it.

Pity that. Maybe they felt they didn’t need to do it in the end. Fitzgibbons Furniture are going into the big round glass unit at the Smyths end of the retail park. Apparently they will be in for June.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

In fairness, the Councillors have regularly voted to ban them from the town centre (largely due to Tidy Towns) - maybe we should copy France, and have a specific suburban area to display them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I heard that healy ray chap is good!!! He really supports football. ;)

I don't know any of them down here. Haven't transferred my vote from Dublin and won't be voting for the first time in 30 years.

• Advertisement

I heard that healy ray chap is good!!! He really supports football. ;)

I don't know any of them down here. Haven't transferred my vote from Dublin and won't be voting for the first time in 30 years.

Where are you based?

If you're in the Tralee area, Treasa Ferris, Terry O'Brien and Norma Foley are all fairly hard-working, with Jim Finucane the main FG candidate if you're that way inclined - also have Green, Independent and left-wing candidates here.

Did I hear that Mickey Sheehy’s son is running for local elections?

Did I hear that Mickey Sheehy’s son is running for local elections?

Yes, called round to our estate at the weekend - him, Norma Foley and Johnny Wall running for FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you're in the Tralee area, Treasa Ferris, Terry O'Brien and Norma Foley are all fairly hard-working, with Jim Finucane the main FG candidate if you're that way inclined - also have Green, Independent and left-wing candidates here.

A quick look and 2 of them I wouldn't vote for straight away based on party.

A quick look and 2 of them I wouldn't vote for straight away based on party.

Which is precisely why I highlighted one each from the major ones - didn't want to presume your politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Pity that. Maybe they felt they didn’t need to do it in the end.

I think there were objections from some of the big name tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Pity that. Maybe they felt they didn’t need to do it in the end. Fitzgibbons Furniture are going into the big round glass unit at the Smyths end of the retail park. Apparently they will be in for June.

It will be September before they are in. They are adding a full second floor so a lot of work to do on the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Killarney have operated a successful voluntary poster free zone for many years now. It is respected by all local politicians and only occasionally breaks down when contractors operating for nationally based campaigns erect posters. "Killarney Looking Good" usually put them straight after a few hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Be election posters flying if Storm Hannah hits us as hard as they say its going to be

Advertisement