Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Forge83 wrote: »
    It will be September before they are in. They are adding a full second floor so a lot of work to do on the building.

Oh right. I saw June on their facebook page. I suppose they were hoping for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Oh right. I saw June on their facebook page. I suppose they were hoping for then.

If they got lucky with everything maybe August. But there’s no way anyone could get that unit ready with a second floor and fully kitted out in 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

I quite enjoyed the hint of a pun on the sign advertising tonight's entertainment outside The Grand Hotel (bearing in mind that we're on an Orange~Red alert for anticipated high winds caused by Storm Hannah):

"Playing tonight: Autumn Wind"

:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Just read that the Irish Debenhams stores won’t face closure. They are safe apparently. https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/irish-branches-of-debenhams-avoid-closure-920545.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Just read that the Irish Debenhams stores won’t face closure. They are safe apparently. https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/irish-branches-of-debenhams-avoid-closure-920545.html

That's good news.. about 15-20 full time jobs saved there I would think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Erik Shun wrote: »

1,600 direct employees actually.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

1,600 direct employees actually.

In Tralee....I'd say doubtful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In Tralee....I'd say doubtful

The country is bigger than Tralee believe it or not.
    It's not just monsters beyond the Kerry border :)

The country is bigger than Tralee believe it or not.
    It's not just monsters beyond the Kerry border :)

True... but it's a Tralee thread..I was obviously referencing our own concerns...and he knew that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is that how small the number of full time staff is at Debenhams in Tralee? I assumed there was up to 100 staff there (including the concession - Topshop etc staff). While I knew they wouldn't all be full time, I didn't think the numbers were that small. It's still good news for part-timers or concession staff working there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is that how small the number of full time staff is at Debenhams in Tralee? I assumed there was up to 100 staff there (including the concession - Topshop etc staff). While I knew they wouldn't all be full time, I didn't think the numbers were that small. It's still good news for part-timers or concession staff working there as well.

I was in Debenhams, I would say it was in late February and spent quite a while there in the afternoon. Was surprised how few staff were on the floor/at tills compared to even 2/3 years ago. Not from Tralee but would tend to go in there if I'm ever in Manor.

Radio5 wrote: »
    I was in Debenhams, I would say it was in late February and spent quite a while there in the afternoon. Was surprised how few staff were on the floor/at tills compared to even 2/3 years ago. Not from Tralee but would tend to go in there if I'm ever in Manor.

I think I probably ever only go in there the week before Christmas and the place seems packed with staff then but I'd say a lot of them are just seasonal hires for the run up to Xmas. Glad to see Debenhams is staying put in Tralee.....for now....

On another note, I see a new housing development sprung up rather quickly on the Abbeydorney road opposite Sundays Well (I think there was a caravan park of some sort in there previously?). Good to see new housing activity in the town.

I think I probably ever only go in there the week before Christmas and the place seems packed with staff then but I'd say a lot of them are just seasonal hires for the run up to Xmas. Glad to see Debenhams is staying put in Tralee.....for now....

On another note, I see a new housing development sprung up rather quickly on the Abbeydorney road opposite Sundays Well (I think there was a caravan park of some sort in there previously?). Good to see new housing activity in the town.

Speaking of housing developments, i was driving towards the ‘fat mile’ past O’Donnells and noticed there’s an unfinished estate with some very big houses in it. Wonder what happened there? It was only started a couple of years ago and has stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Speaking of housing developments, i was driving towards the ‘fat mile’ past O’Donnells and noticed there’s an unfinished estate with some very big houses in it. Wonder what happened there? It was only started a couple of years ago and has stopped.

I'm assuming that it's this file. It looks like the development went to sleep, and then they tried to wake it up again. There are 335 pages though, but the ones right at the end give the game away :p

http://docstore.kerrycoco.ie/planningfiles/14308151.pdf

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm assuming that it's this file. It looks like the development went to sleep, and then they tried to wake it up again. There are 335 pages though, but the ones right at the end give the game away :p

http://docstore.kerrycoco.ie/planningfiles/14308151.pdf

I Can’t seem to open this document unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I was approached by guy in Dunnes Stores NCR car park yesterday evening at about 6:00.

I was awkwardly loading the shopping into the car when he thrust 2 boxes of ceramic knives into my hands. He launched into a very sophisticated sales pitch. Jamie Oliver...just finished demonstrations inside...price of a couple of pints..give me what you can...i have a few boxes left over and my bosses in Kilkenny will be mad if I go back with them. He then thrust a further 3 boxes into my hands.

He was very slick and forceful. He had midlands accent. I parted with some money and he left. I saw him approaching others in the car park as I left.

Beware!

Rev Blue Jeans

Surprised you gave him any money...unless you wanted the knives or thought they were good value. I wouldn't call "my boss will be mad if I don't sell them" as a sophisticated sales pitch. Personally, I'd have blanked him for being so intrusive.

I was in town on Saturday afternoon and noticed two chuggers practically blocking the narrow space from the Mall to the Square (between Dan Fitzeralds and Glam Pod/Quinlans Fish. Clever positioning really as no-one could avoid them as they passed through. They were trying to sell raffle tickets for some Lung foundation I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I was approached by guy in Dunnes Stores NCR car park yesterday evening at about 6:00.

I was awkwardly loading the shopping into the car when he thrust 2 boxes of ceramic knives into my hands. He launched into a very sophisticated sales pitch. Jamie Oliver...just finished demonstrations inside...price of a couple of pints..give me what you can...i have a few boxes left over and my bosses in Kilkenny will be mad if I go back with them. He then thrust a further 3 boxes into my hands.

He was very slick and forceful. He had midlands accent. I parted with some money and he left. I saw him approaching others in the car park as I left.

Beware!

Rev Blue Jeans

Should contact Deirdre Walsh on Radio Kerry about that to get the message out there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I Can’t seem to open this document unfortunately.

Did you wait for it to download, their site seems to be a bit slow?

Should contact Deirdre Walsh on Radio Kerry about that to get the message out there

Yep..and the next time he approaches you he can say.
    "ceramic knives as advertised on Radio Kerry"

:D

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Did you wait for it to download, their site seems to be a bit slow?

It downloaded and then said there was an error. I was only using my iPad, I’ll try with the laptop.

Traffic lights are being introduced at the Basin Road/James Street/O'Rahilly Villas junction according to TraleeToday.ie

Good news but Fairies Cross is also crying out for traffic lights too

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Traffic lights are being introduced at the Basin Road/James Street/O'Rahilly Villas junction according to TraleeToday.ie

Good news but Fairies Cross is also crying out for traffic lights too

Agreed on that. Fairies Cross is on the to-do list, as are both ends of Racecourse Road but it all comes down to funding at the end of the day.

Personally, I'd prefer a four-way stop junction on Basin Road but they're a bit of a rarity in this country and there seems to be a reluctance to use them (bit of a chicken-and-egg scenario).

Even more in need of addressing are the signal-controlled junctions with absolutely no pedestrian facilities (Oakpark Rd/Killeen Rd and Rock St/Maine St/Pembroke St come to mind).

Apparently, the Clounalour medical centre has started moving into the Centrepoint building across from the train station. Other clinics will be following suit shortly.

Interestingly, a planning application has now been submitted to the council to convert the 9 top floor apartments of Centrepoint into medical centre use. I had forgotten that penthouse apartments were built as part of that building. I'd say there were never occupied by residential tenants the entire time they were there??

http://mapping.kerrycoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLitev424/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=19a-19428&FromList=true

https://www.businessworld.ie/news/Global-company-to-create-100-jobs-in-Tralee-572315.html

Great news - JRI America to double it's workforce to 200 in Tralee. That's on top of other recent announcements for another firm in the KTP (100 jobs - Central Pharma) and Sigmar Recruitment (50 jobs). Not bad for provincial Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Apparently, the Clounalour medical centre has started moving into the Centrepoint building across from the train station. Other clinics will be following suit shortly.

Interestingly, a planning application has now been submitted to the council to convert the 9 top floor apartments of Centrepoint into medical centre use. I had forgotten that penthouse apartments were built as part of that building. I'd say there were never occupied by residential tenants the entire time they were there??

http://mapping.kerrycoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLitev424/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=19a-19428&FromList=true

Any wonder, I think the asking price was around €700k at the time, you'd get some house on the outskirts of tralee for that

Yeah, Clounalour medical centre have moved into the Centrepoint building since Monday or Tuesday. There is patient parking in the building carpark on the ground floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We now have a town crier

Plenty of criers outside the Abbey Inn at 3am when they see the ones they fancy shifting someone else!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Jesus do people still go there

Advertisement