Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I think the fact that Tralee has literally zero nightlife these days compared to Killarney is a major drawback. And it's not so long ago we had the Brandon & Horans to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I just saw this video of Tralee filmed by a drone
    https://www.facebook.com/traleemylove/videos/822098894837656/

I spotted the old apartment building just off basin view, on the road betweeen there & princes st. I noticed it when passing recently that It’s derelict now and access is blocked off. Why has nothing been done with It? It must be derelict over 10 years at least. What a waste of land/housing etc.

Thats Tralee for you.

Joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

To the best of my knowledge Kerry Group own that and use it for storage

Correct

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

To the best of my knowledge Kerry Group own that and use it for storage

Oh I see, never knew that!
    Speaking of Basin road etc, I saw that there will be traffic lights put in at that bad junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

SeanOg's has a new beer garden and I'm hearing positive reports about it. Must try it next time I'm out in Tralee. Seemingly it was some unused outdoor space behind the Coin Off licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

ongarboy wrote: »
    SeanOg's has a new beer garden and I'm hearing positive reports about it. Must try it next time I'm out in Tralee. Seemingly it was some unused outdoor space behind the Coin Off licence.

Wonder is it behind the black gates just next to the pub at the Garda Station side

Must check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I just saw this video of Tralee filmed by a drone
    https://www.facebook.com/traleemylove/videos/822098894837656/

I spotted the old apartment building just off basin view, on the road betweeen there & princes st. I noticed it when passing recently that It’s derelict now and access is blocked off. Why has nothing been done with It? It must be derelict over 10 years at least. What a waste of land/housing etc.

Is that not (dive) minstrels bar was or have I my geography mistaken? I see some works going on there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Is that not (dive) minstrels bar was or have I my geography mistaken? I see some works going on there now.

Jesus minstrels had the worst of the worst in there. Thank god it's gone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

No, I'm talking about a red-brick building up at Basin road.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

Jesus minstrels had the worst of the worst in there. Thank god it's gone

I used to drink in Minstrels and and used to quite enjoy it...

• Advertisement

There was a lovely family day at Mitchell's today, hundreds of kids with bouncy castle everywhere and then 2 traveller families proceeded to kick the s#it out of each other in the middle of the hall. Men and women involved in the melee and kids screaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

xxyyzz wrote: »
    There was a lovely family day at Mitchell's today, hundreds of kids with bouncy castle everywhere and then 2 traveller families proceeded to kick the s#it out of each other in the middle of the hall. Men and women involved in the melee and kids screaming.
    Were the gards called?

Yep 2 squad cars. There was an off duty guard there with his family and fair play to him he got stuck in to the middle of it and got it under some kind of control til the squad cars arrived.

No, I'm talking about a red-brick building up at Basin road.

James Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

xxyyzz wrote: »

I think that post qualifies as 'hate speech' against our indigenous ethnic minority who were only expressing their culturally norms of dispute resolution.......down with that sort of thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

kn wrote: »
    I think that post qualifies as 'hate speech' against our indigenous ethnic minority who were only expressing their culturally norms of dispute resolution.......down with that sort of thing!!

Its not their fault sure, its everybody elses...

James Street

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name of that street!

While there was good news at Tralee IT that the new Sports Academy opened this week, it looks like there is a lot of financial trouble there. Numbers of students have fallen 15% since 2014 but staff numbers have remained unchanged so an oversupply. They're also saying this financial trouble could jeopardise the formation of the new Munster Technology University that Tralee and CIT will merge to become. That would be a big shame!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/it-tralee-overstaffed-lossmaking-and-facing-cashflow-difficulties-1.3894988

Has that takeaway in Castle Street, Potasta(?) closed down? Looks like another one bites the dust. That place is jinxed!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Has that takeaway in Castle Street, Potasta(?) closed down? Looks like another one bites the dust. That place is jinxed!

I'm not sure if has closed down eventhough I have been passing it almost daily, but you are right it seems to be jinxed - but when it first opened the food was good, especially the homemade chips they had. I can't remember the first incarnation of the place - I think it was an Italian Chip Shop

• Advertisement

That new Woolen shop in Ashe Street seems to be taking ages to open. The shopfront is finished for ages but no sign of it opening. Wonder what the delay is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

That new Woolen shop in Ashe Street seems to be taking ages to open. The shopfront is finished for ages but no sign of it opening. Wonder what the delay is.

They've realised It's a shíte Idea?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

bobdcow wrote: »
    I can't remember the first incarnation of the place
    Back in the day it was McAuliffe's Leather - the go to place for leather school bags - the one with the clip in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

While there was good news at Tralee IT that the new Sports Academy opened this week, it looks like there is a lot of financial trouble there. Numbers of students have fallen 15% since 2014 but staff numbers have remained unchanged so an oversupply. They're also saying this financial trouble could jeopardise the formation of the new Munster Technology University that Tralee and CIT will merge to become. That would be a big shame!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/it-tralee-overstaffed-lossmaking-and-facing-cashflow-difficulties-1.3894988

Not very optimistic reading. I hadn't realised the numbers have fallen so much. I presume the plan is to move everything to the North Campus eventually not use Clash buildings anymore.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Not very optimistic reading. I hadn't realised the numbers have fallen so much. I presume the plan is to move everything to the North Campus eventually not use Clash buildings anymore.

I wonder What percentage of students are in the Clash building now? It seemed small and cramped when I studied there in ‘97-01. I missed out on the new building in the north campus as they only opened the following September 2001. I wonder why numbers are dropping? There seemed to be a large number of foreign students in recent years.

Erik Shun wrote: »
    They've realised It's a shíte Idea?

:D

The stupid idea was them thinking they could open until 8pm EVERY night! I can imagine how busy they would be in the evening in the middle of January!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The stupid idea was them thinking they could open until 8pm EVERY night! I can imagine how busy they would be in the evening in the middle of January!

Perhaps they haven't yet finished knitting all the jumpers they're going to be selling ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I wonder What percentage of students are in the Clash building now? It seemed small and cramped when I studied there in ‘97-01. I missed out on the new building in the north campus as they only opened the following September 2001. I wonder why numbers are dropping? There seemed to be a large number of foreign students in recent years.

The college did itself a lot of harm by trying to capitalise during the recession and promoting Mickey Mouse courses and degrees. Apparently their drop out rate from people failing to get into second year and failing to complete their courses is the highest in the country. I started college in 05 and it just started around then. Unfortunately some people aren’t cut out for college and degrees but they were still ambushed into doing courses, as a result the amount of apprenticeships have fallen drastically.

adam88 wrote: »
    The college did itself a lot of harm by trying to capitalise during the recession and promoting Mickey Mouse courses and degrees. Apparently their drop out rate from people failing to get into second year and failing to complete their courses is the highest in the country. I started college in 05 and it just started around then. Unfortunately some people aren’t cut out for college and degrees but they were still ambushed into doing courses, as a result the amount of apprenticeships have fallen drastically.

The course that I Did there was far too Broad at the time and when I graduated I found it hard to get a job in the area I wanted as I had far too many different modules and I was basically not qualified in any one particular area. I did the information systems management degree and I moved to Dublin straight after. I found it hard to explain my qualification to employers. It was like being a Jack of all trades but a master of none. I was lucky that the first two years of the course was more or less a secretarial course and I learned how to properly type etc so I was able to get office work quite easily. I know they condensed the course somewhat since then as there were quite a few complaints of the same type from graduates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

g1983d wrote: »
    If they could combine it with the empty Dunnes init your ha e a serious town centre retail space, move shaws in there then and level their building to open the town centre up to the denny site

KCC are currently looking for 'Civil engineering consultancy services' for this part of the town

Tralee Town Centre Shared Space includes the public realm enhancement of the town centre including Russell Street, Bridge Street, New Road, Bridge Lane, Bill Booley Lane, Lower Castle Street and Lower Rock Street.

Advertisement