Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    That new Woolen shop in Ashe Street seems to be taking ages to open. The shopfront is finished for ages but no sign of it opening. Wonder what the delay is.

They must have seen your post, it was open today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Adiboo wrote: »
    They must have seen your post, it was open today.

Was it? I didn’t even notice! And the take away in Castle Street that I thought had closed was open when I passed before 6pm this evening! Panic over! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Is "Top of the Rock" Video Store still operating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

I believe it is.. John Mac still going strong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

He had announced he was closing last year but he’s still open!

• Advertisement

Aslan and the Hothouse Flowers are to play free gigs in Denny street for the Rose of Tralee! I am personally very happy. Love both, especially the Hothouse Flowers who I've seen live a few times and they are brilliant!
    Can't wait!
    http://traleetoday.ie/aslan-and-hothouse-flowers-to-play-free-concerts-during-rose-festival/?fbclid=IwAR3yt9qUKzL_wtqPJyddaQPztAo6X9Ztm1OtMu8Fxc9L9W2bpvpXn5yGA6c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

^^^^^
    That post could have been written 30 years ago!

Love em or hate em, Aslan are out of this world live.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

Is it possible to find men fedora hat in Tralee? If not, anywhere in Munster..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

sudaltsov wrote: »

TK Maxx and Debenhams have them from time to time, that's where my father gets his

Erik Shun wrote: »
    TK Maxx and Debenhams have them from time to time, that's where my father gets his
    Thanks! The choice is not great in the latter... and the former needs constant hunting:) seems only Dublin. If not London:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

He had announced he was closing last year but he’s still open!

Apparently someone in Connolly Park still has a VHS video player so he has to stay open for them!!!

Did you try Ryles menswear? If nothing in Tralee maybe try Killarney.

Did you try Ryles menswear? If nothing in Tralee maybe try Killarney.

Where in Killarney then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

ongarboy wrote: »
    Apparently someone in Connolly Park still has a VHS video player so he has to stay open for them!!!

I LOL'ed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Where in Killarney then?

Sorry I don’t know. Post on the Killarney thread also for some suggestions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

https://www.radiokerry.ie/one-four-tralee-businesses-contribute-rose-festival-street-entertainment/

Shocking statistic considering what the festival does for the town and county.

They should list the contributors it might shame some of the other business into contributing.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Clab mor wrote: »
    https://www.radiokerry.ie/one-four-tralee-businesses-contribute-rose-festival-street-entertainment/

They should list the contributors it might shame some of the other business into contributing.

Definitely. And something like a sticker with the year on it or something to put on the front door/window so people will know.

They used to list everyone who contributed in the brochure up to a few years ago. They now seem to only list the main big sponsors.

I can understand why not everyone does contribute though, there are still a lot of businesses struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

Why? Some businesses simply don't have it to give and certainly don't benefit anywhere near as much as some of the other businesses from the festival - this I know from direct experience

Xodar wrote: »
    Why? Some businesses simply don't have it to give and certainly don't benefit anywhere near as much as some of the other businesses from the festival - this I know from direct experience

I agree, Its totally unfair on a business who can't afford it. No one is obliged to pay this, its a voluntary contribution. Anyone who does contribute can give as little or as much as they wish. I didn't like when they used to list the businesses who did give in order of Gold, silver & bronze. As if to say, well here are are big spenders and bronze are the ones who didn't give as much.

Our business used to be on the bronze list many times, and I found it a bit insulting if I'm honest! Its not a competition who is the best at paying. I recall a few times giving the cheque to a committee member, and their face said it all when they looked at how much we gave!

• Advertisement

I agree, Its totally unfair on a business who can't afford it. No one is obliged to pay this, its a voluntary contribution. Anyone who does contribute can give as little or as much as they wish. I didn't like when they used to list the businesses who did give in order of Gold, silver & bronze. As if to say, well here are are big spenders and bronze are the ones who didn't give as much.

Our business used to be on the bronze list many times, and I found it a bit insulting if I'm honest! Its not a competition who is the best at paying. I recall a few times giving the cheque to a committee member, and their face said it all when they looked at how much we gave!

I guess it depends on the business and its nature and location.

Why????

Because those that do give deserve some credit!!!

If your not in a position to contribute that’s fine but many businesses are and don’t!! That statistic is shameful really and there’s no way that 3 out of 4 businesses are struggling that much that they can’t contribute something even small to the festival.

My guess is that is doesn’t even need to be cash it could be a benefit in kind or small scale sponsorship scenario. From what I can gather from a piece in the Kerry’s Eye and the CEO on Radio Kerry recently very few business even attempt to engage with the festival.

I guess the question of “what’s in it for my business” is the wrong attitude really.
    It’s about the greater picture in terms of what it does for the town as a whole, it’s a partnership endeavour with the town.

Business people of the town should be embarrassed at the fact that outsiders contribute more to the festival than the actual business in town!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

If your not in a position to contribute that’s fine but many businesses are and don’t!! That statistic is shameful really and there’s no way that 3 out of 4 businesses are struggling that much that they can’t contribute something even small to the festival.

There are plenty of business' in tralee that would see no difference (to their business) if the festival went away tomorrow. Why would they contribute something to the festival? If everyone should contribute, then why are you not complaining that the locals are not chipping in with a door to door collection?

Why????

Because those that do give deserve some credit!!!

My guess is that is doesn’t even need to be cash it could be a benefit in kind or small scale sponsorship scenario. From what I can gather from a piece in the Kerry’s Eye and the CEO on Radio Kerry recently very few business even attempt to engage with the festival.

I guess the question of “what’s in it for my business” is the wrong attitude really.
    It’s about the greater picture in terms of what it does for the town as a whole, it’s a partnership endeavour with the town.

Business people of the town should be embarrassed at the fact that outsiders contribute more to the festival than the actual business in town!!!!

What used to always grind my gears was them chipper vans that used to turn up for the festival and charge ludicrous prices and disappear as soon as it was over.

oeb wrote: »
    There are plenty of business' in tralee that would see no difference (to their business) if the festival went away tomorrow. Why would they contribute something to the festival? If everyone should contribute, then why are you not complaining that the locals are not chipping in with a door to door collection?

Plenty ??? I don’t think so!!!

Prob a handful of solicitors insurance companies and niche shops & clothes boutiques etc.

Pubs Hotels Coffee Shops (of which there are many) Restaurants Chippers Off Licences. There are far more businesses in the town centre that do well from the festival than there are that don’t and most definitely greater that 1 in 4.

Many locals do contribute by means of volunteering both for the festival and also in other roles like civil defence red cross tidy towns etc

I never said it was all about cash.

What used to always grind my gears was them chipper vans that used to turn up for the festival and charge ludicrous prices and disappear as soon as it was over.

I’m inclined to think those chipper vans don’t just turn up but they apply and pay for a pitch to trade as with countless of festivals around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

Prob a handful of solicitors insurance companies and niche shops & clothes boutiques etc.

Pubs Hotels Coffee Shops (of which there are many) Restaurants Chippers Off Licences. There are far more businesses in the town centre that do well from the festival than there are that don’t and most definitely greater that 1 in 4.

Many locals do contribute by means of volunteering both for the festival and also in other roles like civil defence red cross tidy towns etc

This would appear to be a very narrow view of the businesses in the town.

Go back to the mid to late '80's into the mid' 90's and a lot of the businesses in town benefited from the festival - even then, some more than others (pubs, restaurants, hotels, eateries and a lot of the businesses in the Mall, clothes shops etc). Take 1 business that would probably see no difference if the festival never happened - Hugh Culluty: how many TV's etc would he have sold during the Festival more than any other week during the year - very little.

Then in the late '90's the festival was (effectively) taken over by Guinness (or Diagio) and all the' free' street entertainment was no longer free. The once crowded Mall, Denny St & Castle St were shockingly quiet.

Even the host hotel (for a long time) - the Brandon saw it die down. You couldn't walk around Princess St due to the throngs of people and then? Nothing.

Either you're not will g to admit or are simply not aware that there are businesses in the center of town that are on their knees and the festival doesn't make a blind bit of difference to their business any more and they are expected to float the bill?

Again, I have 1st hand experience of a business in the center of a Tralee for 40 years.

I’m inclined to think those chipper vans don’t just turn up but they apply and pay for a pitch to trade as with countless of festivals around the country.

Maybe. I'd still rather give my money to a restaurant that's there all year and employing local people.

Ya you read that right. Local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What is it about so?

You seem to be complaining about lack of financial support, especially from Coffee Shops.

What will they get out of it if they give some self appointed fundraiser a cheque?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

This would appear to be a very narrow view of the businesses in the town.

Go back to the mid to late '80's into the mid' 90's and a lot of the businesses in town benefited from the festival - even then, some more than others (pubs, restaurants, hotels, eateries and a lot of the businesses in the Mall, clothes shops etc). Take 1 business that would probably see no difference if the festival never happened - Hugh Culluty: how many TV's etc would he have sold during the Festival more than any other week during the year - very little.

Then in the late '90's the festival was (effectively) taken over by Guinness (or Diagio) and all the' free' street entertainment was no longer free. The once crowded Mall, Denny St & Castle St were shockingly quiet.

Even the host hotel (for a long time) - the Brandon saw it die down. You couldn't walk around Princess St due to the throngs of people and then? Nothing.

Either you're not will g to admit or are simply not aware that there are businesses in the center of town that are on their knees and the festival doesn't make a blind bit of difference to their business any more and they are expected to float the bill?

Again, I have 1st hand experience of a business in the center of a Tralee for 40 years.

"THE FESTIVAL OF KERRY" is now a 'private company' and it was purchased a few years ago by Mr O'Gara.

Advertisement