Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Xodar wrote: »
    This would appear to be a very narrow view of the businesses in the town.

Go back to the mid to late '80's into the mid' 90's and a lot of the businesses in town benefited from the festival - even then, some more than others (pubs, restaurants, hotels, eateries and a lot of the businesses in the Mall, clothes shops etc). Take 1 business that would probably see no difference if the festival never happened - Hugh Culluty: how many TV's etc would he have sold during the Festival more than any other week during the year - very little.

Then in the late '90's the festival was (effectively) taken over by Guinness (or Diagio) and all the' free' street entertainment was no longer free. The once crowded Mall, Denny St & Castle St were shockingly quiet.

Even the host hotel (for a long time) - the Brandon saw it die down. You couldn't walk around Princess St due to the throngs of people and then? Nothing.

Either you're not will g to admit or are simply not aware that there are businesses in the center of town that are on their knees and the festival doesn't make a blind bit of difference to their business any more and they are expected to float the bill?

Again, I have 1st hand experience of a business in the center of a Tralee for 40 years.

First off no one is expecting anyone to float a bill??? The street entertainment is a joint venture between the town and the festival???

Hugh Culloty will tell you himself it’s two of three weeks after the festival that he’ll make a few extra quid when there a surplus of extra money in the town off the back of the festival. The owners and employees of shops working overtime and making extra as a result of the festival will in turn cause a knock on in spending weeks later.

You can argue all you want about the 80 and 90 but it’s about time you stopped living in the past.

The town has a higher ratio of business that make a killing from the festival than those that don’t so the fact of the matter is a 1 in 4 ratio of business supporting the festival is shameful. Considering it generates about 6 million Euro for the town.

Some business may be on their knees as you put it (I’ve yet to hear any business tell anyone business is booming by the way) but can you imagine what it would be like without the festival.

amadain wrote: »
    "THE FESTIVAL OF KERRY" is now a 'private company' and it was purchased a few years ago by Mr O'Gara.

Correct ðŸ‘

And it’s main aim is the Rose Of Tralee (competition) not the street festival??? The street festival is added to enhance the Rose of Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

amadain wrote: »
    "THE FESTIVAL OF KERRY" is now a 'private company' and it was purchased a few years ago by Mr O'Gara.

I just can’t get my head around this. How did a festival end up as a private company. I’m sure Mr O’Gara and a few key individuals are paid very well from these donations

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I think the festival is a great boost for some business's, but I can also see that many business's gain very little.
    Take a typical family that go down town of an evening. They will stroll around, buy something from the market stalls (who I doubt the Coffee shops/restuarants are delighted to see flogging food outside their doors) watch a band playing, and leave a wad of cash to Birds amusements.
    Not a lot there for the town business's..

adam88 wrote: »
    I just can’t get my head around this. How did a festival end up as a private company. I’m sure Mr O’Gara and a few key individuals are paid very well from these donations

When the festival went bust back in the day it was purchased along with the associated debts.

Most large festivals especially music festivals are private companies or subsidiaries it’s not that complicated?

Of course some people are paid? It’s their jobs? There running the festival and rose centres all around the world throughout the year??

I would think the paid staff would be quite small however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

Clab mor wrote: »
    First off no one is expecting anyone to float a bill??? The street entertainment is a joint venture between the town and the festival???

Hugh Culloty will tell you himself it’s two of three weeks after the festival that he’ll make a few extra quid when there a surplus of extra money in the town off the back of the festival. The owners and employees of shops working overtime and making extra as a result of the festival will in turn cause a knock on in spending weeks later.

You can argue all you want about the 80 and 90 but it’s about time you stopped living in the past.

The town has a higher ratio of business that make a killing from the festival than those that don’t so the fact of the matter is a 1 in 4 ratio of business supporting the festival is shameful. Considering it generates about 6 million Euro for the town.

Some business may be on their knees as you put it (I’ve yet to hear any business tell anyone business is booming by the way) but can you imagine what it would be like without the festival.

Not living in the past.

As stated the 'festival' is a privately run entity. Why should businesses be expected to put the hand in their pockets to support something that is not beneficial to them.

You se to think that the festival is some sort of mythical creature that benefits all businesses in Tralee... the simple fact is that it doesn't. It benefits some of the businesses. Again conflating different things to strengthen a straw man argument.

When the festival is beneficial to a business and said business can afford to contribute and does its mutually beneficial - great. When the festival no longer benefits a business why should said business contribute?

Sounds like you may have interests in the festival being supported by more than 1 in 4 businesses.. I can tell you my business sees little or none of this magical €6m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Looks like there's a right can of worms being opened here.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Xodar wrote: »
    Not living in the past.

As stated the 'festival' is a privately run entity. Why should businesses be expected to put the hand in their pockets to support something that is not beneficial to them.

You se to think that the festival is some sort of mythical creature that benefits all businesses in Tralee... the simple fact is that it doesn't. It benefits some of the businesses. Again conflating different things to strengthen a straw man argument.

When the festival is beneficial to a business and said business can afford to contribute and does its mutually beneficial - great. When the festival no longer benefits a business why should said business contribute?

Sounds like you may have interests in the festival being supported by more than 1 in 4 businesses.. I can tell you my business sees little or none of this magical €6m.

The (privately run part) of festival is the Rose of Tralee and everything that goes on in the dome. The street entertainment part is supplemental to this and is supposed to be a joint venture between the festival and businesses.

It doesn’t matter what your selling or what u claim not to be making as a business but the festival including street entertainment is good for the town and as a result is good for (all) businesses.

There are many many people visit tralee throughout the year on the backing of the Rose Of Tralee and its associations all around the world.

Whilst u may not be making money immediately and directly from the festival there are knock in effects and benefits all year round for the town as a whole.

Tralee unfortunately I fear will never shake the negativity that locals and businesses throw at it. Rather than come together with a focus on boosting the town in an international light people are happy bash and criticise something which most town in Ireland would give their right arm for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

What is happening with this permanent 'dome'/event centre? I remember reading a few years ago that they were hoping to have it built by 2019....I haven't heard anything bout it in the past couple of years. Wasn't the plan to build it next to the Rose hotel? What's the story now?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    What is happening with this permanent 'dome'/event centre? I remember reading a few years ago that they were hoping to have it built by 2019....I haven't heard anything bout it in the past couple of years. Wasn't the plan to build it next to the Rose hotel? What's the story now?

I’d say now it’ll be many moons before a project of that scale will ever come to fruition.

When it was last mooted by the ceo in the papers and radio there was talks of a joint venture with the hotel but it would need another few large financial backers or partners to work. I can’t see it happening in the near future.

Personally I think it would be a poor move the INEC in Killarney has the monopoly on this type of entertainment and I’m not sure if there’s room for two large event centres so close.

Was it last year or year before Nathan Carter was in the square in tralee for festival and you could still buy tickets on the night??? He was in INEC 6 weeks later at over double the price and sold out in less than a day of tickets going on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

In last weeks Kerryman on the looking into the past page that they do every week, it was reports from 1994 and they had a report about a permanent dome for the Rose of Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Clab mor wrote: »
    https://www.radiokerry.ie/one-four-tralee-businesses-contribute-rose-festival-street-entertainment/

Shocking statistic considering what the festival does for the town and county.

They should list the contributors it might shame some of the other business into contributing.

We're off and running :D

xxyyzz wrote: »
    We're off and running :D

Your late to the party!!!

Stick on the lycra and head for a cycle!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/town-in-line-for-huge-retail-boost-38181056.html

Hmm.. .is this just a rumour headline or is there concrete evidence? Any retailer can say they're considering new locations. I wonder which ones the Chamber were referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/town-in-line-for-huge-retail-boost-38181056.html

Hmm.. .is this just a rumour headline or is there concrete evidence? Any retailer can say they're considering new locations. I wonder which ones the Chamber were referring to?

I hope this is not a load if white smoke. Where are these large retailers going to go??? Dunnes wont sell and the owners of the shopping centre have no interest in leasing out any of the units!!! Just sitting on the property as an investment.
    They are the only buildings in the town centre that could accommodate any "large retailer" . Either way what power do the chamber alliance have??? It will come down to rents/rates and location and they have no control over any of those.
    Hope I am wrong as our town needs it. And I mean town centre not manor!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I saw a sign by Corcorans Furniture in the old world of wonder toy shop on rock street saying opening soon! Wonder if they bought the building there?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Would they have enough business for 2 shops in the town? the one in manor is a fine shop, they're only there about 2 years when BTS left the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Ah yes. It's that special time of year again where Clab shows up to run down anyone even slightly criticising the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

In other news. Had a last minute organised work going away party in The Ashe over the weekend. ...... it was brilliant. Food was great , staff were helpful and pleasant and the atmosphere was great as well. Really enjoyed it and even went for lunch there today. I’d have never thought about there for lunch or food but defo be in my go too list in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

He had announced he was closing last year but he’s still open!

Passed "Top of the Rock" Video at the weekend, unfortunately it looks like its gone.

RevBJ

• Advertisement

Passed "Top of the Rock" Video at the weekend, unfortunately it looks like its gone.

RevBJ

End of an era!

Some good news for the town....Tralee jumped to 5th place in Ireland in the IBAL (Irish Business Against Litter) frankings, jumping from 30th place back in January! That's a fantastic achievement. Well done to all involved!

http://traleetoday.ie/tralee-jumps-to-fifth-place-in-ibal-rankings/?fbclid=IwAR28FixtnrNb-B6a1rDaspn9Kz4fC7P_dSHvIN4oT20iPCKD3HHU-mJWtQ8

• Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Excellent news and a fantastic improvement. Big kudos to all involved (I'm guessing they are mainly civic-minded volunteers in the main(?), but regardless, well done!)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://traleetoday.ie/gardai-urge-people-to-stop-engaging-in-road-bowling-around-tralee/

Interesting. Imagine organizing a five aside on the North Circular Road?!! Is this a recent phenomenon of playing road bowling on roads without permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CinderKone

Yes, I noticed that last summer - the whole of Kearney's Road was blocked in several places by players. Rather a large object if it hit a car or cyclist.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

CinderKone wrote: »
    Yes, I noticed that last summer - the whole of Kearney's Road was blocked in several places by players. Rather a large object if it hit a car or cyclist.

I remember it being played on that road years and years ago so it's definitely not just a recent phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

FYI

Where does it start from?
    thinking of bringing either the kids or my camera over...... decisions, decisions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Where does it start from?
    thinking of bringing either the kids or my camera over...... decisions, decisions :)

Most likely the village. Maybe check the Facebook page. Kilflynn vintage festival

• Advertisement

Feile na Blath park festival is on this weekend. Hope the weather is ok. Its not feeling too summery yet :(

https://www.facebook.com/parkfestivaltralee/

https://www.facebook.com/events/652424228509684/

Advertisement