Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Feile na Blath park festival is on this weekend. Hope the weather is ok. Its not feeling too summery yet :(

https://www.facebook.com/parkfestivaltralee/

https://www.facebook.com/events/652424228509684/

Conflicts with my professionally orchestrated vintage festival 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Conflicts with my professionally orchestrated vintage festival 😔

Jesus we've nothing going on for months on end and then we've 2 great things on the same weekend. We need a Tralee co ordinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I saw a sign by Corcorans Furniture in the old world of wonder toy shop on rock street saying opening soon! Wonder if they bought the building there?

Looks like you were right. Sold sign up. Corcoran’s van there today working inside.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

bobdcow wrote: »
    Would they have enough business for 2 shops in the town? the one in manor is a fine shop, they're only there about 2 years when BTS left the place.

I read in their Facebook page today that it will be an outlet store basically selling end of range stuff at discount prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Read on the Tralee Do You Know FB page that it looks that a new Courthouse is now the most likely development to happen on the old Dennys site as the current building on Ashe Street is not fit for purpose nor could be upgraded for modern court needs. A lot of the comments are unhappy with this use of the Dennys site as it feels like it totally ignored any of the public consultation feedback to make it a public realm/activities space and the fact the Dennys site was supposedly gifted to the people of Tralee. (gifted to the crooks brought before the court more like....)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    Read on the Tralee Do You Know FB page that it looks that a new Courthouse is now the most likely development to happen on the old Dennys site as the current building on Ashe Street is not fit for purpose nor could be upgraded for modern court needs. A lot of the comments are unhappy with this use of the Dennys site as it feels like it totally ignored any of the public consultation feedback to make it a public realm/activities space and the fact the Dennys site was supposedly gifted to the people of Tralee. (gifted to the crooks brought before the court more like....)

Saw that. There will be uproar over this. After all the submissions put in by the public and they will now basically be ignored! Its disgraceful. What was the point in asking any of us what we thought if they are just going to do the total opposite. There are No facilities for teens in the town as it is. Its a joke.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Absolutely nonsensical criticisms. The people of Tralee need a court house fit for purpose for the 21st century. And this is the most centrally-located site that's available to fulfill this purpose. In any case, only a fraction of the Island of Geese site will be required so the rest of the site can still be used for other public-realm purposes (a court house, by definition, is part of the public realm).

Anyone advocating attempting to upgrade the existing court house is putting their own selfish vested interests ahead of the rights of everyone who use the court house to appropriate accessible facilities.

I would hope and expect that any agreement between the OPW/Courts Service and KCC will involve KCC acquiring ownership of the existing Court House, which would make a fine addition to the town's amenity offering as an exhibition space or similar.

http://traleetoday.ie/mayor-to-meet-with-dunnes-in-weeks-about-vacant-town-centre-premises/

Tralee Council to meet Dunnes management soon to discuss what can be done with their large empty unit in Bridge Street. Wonder what might come out of those talks....

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

http://traleetoday.ie/mayor-to-meet-with-dunnes-in-weeks-about-vacant-town-centre-premises/

Tralee Council to meet Dunnes management soon to discuss what can be done with their large empty unit in Bridge Street. Wonder what might come out of those talks....

The recent outcome in Limerick gives some grounds for optimism but they ain't gonna sell unless it's to someone they can be sure won't operate it as a supermarket.

And it's been said before more then once that they have some form of attachment to it as it was one of their original supermarkets - not sure how true that is though.

I really can't understand why they don't lease it to some non-supermarket retail chain. Unless they have plans to reopen it themselves if/when market conditions allow.

I imagine Dunnes would also view any clothing retailer (H&M, River Island, Zara etc) as a competitor also so would not allow them as tenants either

• Advertisement

We went to the park today for feile na blath. Thankfully the rain had stopped by the time we got there and it ended up quite warm & sunny. There didn’t seem to be a very big crowd there compared to the last couple years. There also didn’t seem to be as much to see & do. Those big seats and props weren’t there this year. It just seemed as though it was a lot more scaled back.

I noticed that there are an awful lot of overgrown weeds in amongst all the rose bushes. They look so untidy. It’s a shame the park isn’t being looked after as well as it was when it had a full time caretaker.

sudaltsov wrote: »
    Is it possible to find men fedora hat in Tralee? If not, anywhere in Munster..

I spotted some in Dunnes NCR at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 greenandgold

I imagine Dunnes would also view any clothing retailer (H&M, River Island, Zara etc) as a competitor also so would not allow them as tenants either

Why not put the courts into Dunnes in Bridge street and what I would like to see on the Denny site is an Airdome similar to the one being built by Mayo Gaa. They are building it for football but our one could be used for concerts, picking the roses, conferences, sports, dancing, fleadhs in other words a multi functional space that could be used all year round and they are not that expensive to build according to what the one in Mayo is costing

Why not put the courts into Dunnes in Bridge street and what I would like to see on the Denny site is an Airdome similar to the one being built by Mayo Gaa. They are building it for football but our one could be used for concerts, picking the roses, conferences, sports, dancing, fleadhs in other words a multi functional space that could be used all year round and they are not that expensive to build according to what the one in Mayo is costing

I imagine a court house has to have all sorts of building requirements that a former retail store could not accommodate. The main court chambers, jury rooms, holding cells for defendants, judges private rooms, rooms for barristers/solicitors to meet with their clients etc. Tralee performs District Court and Circuit Court roles so separate courtrooms are probably required for both within the same building. I'm not totally against the Denny site being partially used for a new court house but I'd like other parts of the site to be used for general public use. An urban park or plaza that could be used for gatherings/civic events/celebrations (eg winning Kerry team returning home with the Sam Maguire etc!!) with seating, some cafes, restaurants and tourist related activities.

I like your Airdome suggestion but couldn't the so called Rose Events centre site that keeps getting postponed decade after decade (next to Rose hotel) accommodate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Anyone recommend a tyre place in Tralee? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Anyone recommend a tyre place in Tralee? Thanks

Tralee tyre centre near Gleasures funeral home across from KSPSA/Supervalu .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Tralee tyre centre near Gleasures funeral home across from KSPSA/Supervalu .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I'll be down in Tralee on Saturday night (doing the 10k). I've never been down before. Anyone have a recommendation for a bite to eat (nothing fancy required) and a nice pint? (decent craft beer would be preferable)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Not much in the line of decent craft beer in Tralee, but Croí restaurant is very good and they do stock beer from Killarney brewing company as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Any truth in the rumour that Sports Direct are closing their shop in the Mall Tralee and moving to Manor retail park?

• Advertisement

wackokid wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumour that Sports Direct are closing their shop in the Mall Tralee and moving to Manor retail park?

First I heard of it. Unlikely seeing as they only took over the Heatons building last year (?) and. I can't see them moving this soon into a lease.

Boro wrote: »
    I'll be down in Tralee on Saturday night (doing the 10k). I've never been down before. Anyone have a recommendation for a bite to eat (nothing fancy required) and a nice pint? (decent craft beer would be preferable)

There aren't enough Pubs doing any decent craft beer, but those that do would be Roundy's bar & the Blasket bar, they don't do food though. Maybe worth popping into after you have food!

Just edited to add that the Roast House in Denny street who serve food during day, do have a small range of craft beers available.

wackokid wrote: »

Sports Direct UK and Ireland attempted to bid for Debenhams when it was going through troubles earlier this year but failed in their takeover bid. Maybe that's how the rumour manifested that it would take over the Debenhams store in Manor West? I can't see it going anywhere anytime soon either - it has a prime pitch in the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Boro wrote: »

Ashe hotel do brilliant food and directly across the road us roundys bar which only do craft beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Cheers all for the feedback!

I read in the Kerry's Eye that the old Quinlans pub in the Mall/Bridge street is up for sale!

I also saw last night shared on Facebook that the old Vals building has been sold!

That Quinlans pub has a huge yard out the back that housed rather "interesting" toilets.... Could be good site investment for a savvy bidder, especially as it adjoins old Dunnes and the Shopping arcade sites!

That Quinlans pub has a huge yard out the back that housed rather "interesting" toilets.... Could be good site investment for a savvy bidder, especially as it adjoins old Dunnes and the Shopping arcade sites!

I’m curious??? Interesting toilets??

Also the pub that was up the lane way next to Walsh brothers shoes, did that just close down and stay in the family?? Seems to be a lot of people/families just sitting on assets around the town.
    West pork and bacon in rock street another example. Lived in the flats for a few years many moons ago

adam88 wrote: »
    I’m curious??? Interesting toilets??

Also the pub that was up the lane way next to Walsh brothers shoes, did that just close down and stay in the family?? Seems to be a lot of people/families just sitting on assets around the town.
    West pork and bacon in rock street another example. Lived in the flats for a few years many moons ago

I have wondered this too. There's a place across the road from that old pork & bacon shop which used to be a shop many years ago too. I can't quite remember what it was?
    Also in Rock street is the old Galvins shop. The son lives in the house above the shop, but no sign of the shop itself being rented out.

• Advertisement

There defo needs to be pressure put on owners to either use the property as commercial or sell up. How it can be done I don’t know. Maybe force them into it via rates etc.

Advertisement