Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

adam88 wrote: »
    There defo needs to be pressure put on owners to either use the property as commercial or sell up. How it can be done I don’t know. Maybe force them into it via rates etc.

Does anyone actually know why nothing has ever been done with the Old Oak bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

adam88 wrote: »
    I’m curious??? Interesting toilets??

Also the pub that was up the lane way next to Walsh brothers shoes, did that just close down and stay in the family?? Seems to be a lot of people/families just sitting on assets around the town.
    West pork and bacon in rock street another example. Lived in the flats for a few years many moons ago

ha ha...let's just say the gents were a bit on the primitive side and exposed to the elements!! (ie you were basically p*** outdoors in a yard)

To answer your other question, the same could be said about valuable residential properties as well as retail properties that fall into neglect or seem abandoned. Some owners (either through inheritence, being elderly themselves or otherwise) just don't have the financial need nor could be bothered to sell/do up/rent out which I imagine is one of the reasons you see properties lying idle. The derelict/vacant levy was designed to discourage same and prompt people to be proactive with such properties. Whether it has worked remains to be seen....

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I hear that Homesavers are opening in Tralee. No idea of where, presumably in Manor somewhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    I hear that Homesavers are opening in Tralee. No idea of where, presumably in Manor somewhere.

Never heard of them!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's one in Ballysimon, opposite B&Q. It always seems to be crowded, so it must be good :p

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

ongarboy wrote: »
    The derelict/vacant levy was designed to discourage same and prompt people to be proactive with such properties. Whether it has worked remains to be seen....

Its not working. It only applies to sites of 500 sq metres or more (5,400 sq ft). The majority of sites urban vacant sites don't qualify. Eoghan Murphy could change this, but has chosen not to. Another piece of legislation that initially seems to be a solution, but turns out to maintain the constitutional protection of landlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There's one in Ballysimon, opposite B&Q. It always seems to be crowded, so it must be good :p

Now theres whats missing ..b&q.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

JonathonS wrote: »
    Its not working. It only applies to sites of 500 sq metres or more (5,400 sq ft). The majority of sites urban vacant sites don't qualify. Eoghan Murphy could change this, but has chosen not to. Another piece of legislation that initially seems to be a solution, but turns out to maintain the constitutional protection of landlords.

And with a housing crises, you would think landlords would see the opportunity to maybe change these buildings into apartments/houses. I see a couple of places in Castle street have changed usage from retail to residential. It would at least help in some small way with the housing problem.

I just saw someone share on facebook that they are now hiring. They will have a recruitment day on July 1st in Manor west hotel.

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I just saw someone share on facebook that they are now hiring. They will have a recruitment day on July 1st in Manor west hotel.

Thinking of possible locations, maybe the vacant unit beside Landers that used to be a carpet and furniture store.

Thinking of possible locations, maybe the vacant unit beside Landers that used to be a carpet and furniture store.

Or the unit next to Curry's?
    They look like they are mix between Mr. Price and Homestore & More.

Just checked them out on Facebook and that's exactly what I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Conflicts with my professionally orchestrated vintage festival ��

Gardaí investigate burning of giant straw teddy in Co Kerry
    Kilflynn festival organisers perplexed as to why its mascot ‘Ted’ set on fire this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

amadain wrote: »
    Gardaí investigate burning of giant straw teddy in Co Kerry
    Kilflynn festival organisers perplexed as to why its mascot ‘Ted’ set on fire this year

Kerry's own "Burning Man(teddy)" Festival :D

Kerry's own "Burning Man(teddy)" Festival :D

They should have a Wicker Man made for when they catch the culprits. :p

Or the unit next to Curry's?

It looks like it is going to be next to Currys

http://traleetoday.ie/homeware-chain-staff-for-new-store-in-manor-west-retail-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

ejmaztec wrote: »

I read that as they are going to be in past the bookshelf

g1983d wrote: »

Yes, you're right, my eyeball/brain link must be on the fritz :p

g1983d wrote: »

Yeah, their model seems to be similar to Mr Price in terms of getting cheap leases in secondary retail parks so that'd rule out Manor West I would have thought.

But I've no doubt folk confuse Manor West with the retail parks to the east of it.

• Advertisement

What unit near the bookshelf would be big enough for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There seems to be quite a few units in and around Mr Price, Corcorans. Maybe one of them. Is it me or is the layout of those units over behind Bookshelf/McGurks a bit all over the place? No uniformity to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

There is an empty unit next to Corcorans - the last tenant was the Karting track, but that's going back a few years now since that left.

We were walking by the Parklands building (opposite Siamsa) and we commented on how run down the building has gotten. The apartments above aren't too bad, but the retail units are a mess. There are broken/missing glass from windows on the upper floors, with pallets just leaning against the missing one. The units below are just empty and nothing seems to be happening in them. I thought Guineys were meant to be moving into a large area of it? I heard that about a year ago and nothing has happened since. The place looks awful.

Spotted more road works signs going up in Castle street today. No idea what's going to be happening, hopefully not more digging up the road though.

Posted up on Kerry County council page. It’s regarding the Baileys pub building. Looks extremely structurally unsafe!

Following the structural assessment of a building on Castle Street in Tralee this afternoon, and in consultation with An Garda Síochána, Kerry County Council has decided to close the street to all vehicular traffic until further notice in the interest of public safety.

Limited pedestrian access will be maintained but there will be no access for vehicles to the street between the junctions of Ashe Street and Edward Street.

Kerry County Council structural engineers are liaising with the owner of the building with a view to addressing the structural issues at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Posted up on Kerry County council page. It’s regarding the Baileys pub building. Looks extremely structurally unsafe!

Following the structural assessment of a building on Castle Street in Tralee this afternoon, and in consultation with An Garda Síochána, Kerry County Council has decided to close the street to all vehicular traffic until further notice in the interest of public safety.

Limited pedestrian access will be maintained but there will be no access for vehicles to the street between the junctions of Ashe Street and Edward Street.

Kerry County Council structural engineers are liaising with the owner of the building with a view to addressing the structural issues at the earliest opportunity.

Gosh, that sounds serious. Is the pub closed? That is going to hurt them badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

It must have been very unsafe for the old tenants I believe it was European Estate Agents - or did any renovation works cause it to be unsafe?

Gosh, that sounds serious. Is the pub closed? That is going to hurt them badly.

As far as I know the pub is still open with access from the rear door in courthouse lane.

• Advertisement

bobdcow wrote: »
    It must have been very unsafe for the old tenants I believe it was European Estate Agents - or did any renovation works cause it to be unsafe?

It could have been the renovations that caused it. But I often noticed when the estate agents were open that they had regular leaks from just inside the windows & always seemed to have buckets there. I wonder was there some sort of underlying issues they were unaware of.
    The street was still closed off today & appears it will be until further notice. I wonder if it may need to be somehow demolished as it looked extremely bad at the front of building with huge cracks going up the front. Not a good start to their renovations!

Advertisement