Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Are the businesses able to remain operating in that section of Castle St or has it just been closed to traffic?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Are the businesses able to remain operating in that section of Castle St or has it just been closed to traffic?

Just closed to traffic. Pedestrians are allowed to walk in the area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Does anyone know the name of the roundabout between Ballygarry & Killarney road bypass (there’s a rose sculpture just off it)? Or is there a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the roundabout between Ballygarry & Killarney road bypass (there’s a rose sculpture just off it)? Or is there a name?

Theres no name on it afaik

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

It's called the Camp Roundabout (Camp is the name of the townland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

He was hoping to extend the bar out the front into that building afaik. I’d hazard a guess and say a lot of those buildings are in pretty bad shape structurally never mind leaks and creaking floors. I’d certainly be slow to head in there for a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I notice 'The Old Oak' in Rock Street was receiving a lick of red paint this evening

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

adam88 wrote: »
    He was hoping to extend the bar out the front into that building afaik. I’d hazard a guess and say a lot of those buildings are in pretty bad shape structurally never mind leaks and creaking floors. I’d certainly be slow to head in there for a drink

Had a gawk while in the area yesterday evening and it's clear the front wall is extremely structurally unstable and in immediate danger of collapse. It will have to be taken down very carefully to avoid structurally undermining the adjacent buildings.

I can only assume a structural assessment of the rear wall has raised no issues and that's why the pub to the rear of the building is still open. Although having said that, I'd be rather reluctant to step inside there myself at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does anyone know who you would contact about dedicating a bench along the Marina?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

Deleted

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Had a gawk while in the area yesterday evening and it's clear the front wall is extremely structurally unstable and in immediate danger of collapse. It will have to be taken down very carefully to avoid structurally undermining the adjacent buildings.

I can only assume a structural assessment of the rear wall has raised no issues and that's why the pub to the rear of the building is still open. Although having said that, I'd be rather reluctant to step inside there myself at the moment!

The bar is closed.

It’s open again according to its Facebook page. Wouldn’t fancy it for a nice relaxing pint mind!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does anyone know who you would contact about dedicating a bench along the Marina?

I would think you would have to contact the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yeah...if be a little apprehensive setting foot in there at the moment seeing those godawful cracks and sagging on the front...despite being open for business...I'd say business will be hurt for a while until the entire redevelopment had been corrected and finished.

Baileys Corner have posted another update in the last half an hour to say they have been forced to close until further notice.

That building looks so dangerous, they have to demolish a fair bit.

We received notification this morning from Irish water to say yet more digging up of the road is to happen from July 16th to August 2nd! Apparently some of the terrace houses in Castle street weren't on the plans to be connected (??) and now they have to be done too.
    I don't know where exactly they are talking about as the guy who dropped the letter to us said it was Boherbee, yet the letter says Castle street. Either way, its more digging of the road, more road closures, and more disruption, on top of the current footpaths that are being done in Castle street. This is literally going on 6 months now. Its beyond a joke. And during summer months when the town is up in a heap as it is, especially with some of Castle street closed due to the Bailey's corner issue. Give me strength!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Kerry county council are answerable to nobody so will do what they like.
    A massive clear out of underperforming management and staff is needed there.
    The amount of roads that are dug up a few times a year for different jobs is ridiculous.
    The Dale road between Abbeydorney and Ballyduff is closed for 3 months for inspection. The diversion route at Killahan is a worse death trap as it cannot cope with the increased traffic. The other diversion route to Lixnaw now has new roadworks which beggars belief on a diversion route.
    All this combined with huge money spent on weed killer with no records kept, massive machinery maintenance bills that would cover the cost of purchasing new machinery.
    In my village there are two council houses vacant, one over 10 years and the other nearly 2 years.
    There is massive SEAI regeneration work all over the country upgrading council estates with insulation, new air to water heating systems, Solar PV, ventilation, stoves etc. Cork,Limerick,Tipperary,Waterford etc are doing a few hundred houses per year the last few years, Kerry county council- Nothing! SEAI are granting the money for most of it so they have no excuse, they just couldn’t be bothered.
    They are a Shambles!

Forge83 wrote: »
    Kerry county council are answerable to nobody so will do what they like.
    A massive clear out of underperforming management and staff is needed there.
    The amount of roads that are dug up a few times a year for different jobs is ridiculous.
    The Dale road between Abbeydorney and Ballyduff is closed for 3 months for inspection. The diversion route at Killahan is a worse death trap as it cannot cope with the increased traffic. The other diversion route to Lixnaw now has new roadworks which beggars belief on a diversion route.
    All this combined with huge money spent on weed killer with no records kept, massive machinery maintenance bills that would cover the cost of purchasing new machinery.
    In my village there are two council houses vacant, one over 10 years and the other nearly 2 years.
    There is massive SEAI regeneration work all over the country upgrading council estates with insulation, new air to water heating systems, Solar PV, ventilation, stoves etc. Cork,Limerick,Tipperary,Waterford etc are doing a few hundred houses per year the last few years, Kerry county council- Nothing! SEAI are granting the money for most of it so they have no excuse, they just couldn’t be bothered.
    They are a Shambles!

Wind your neck in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Wind your neck in

Great input there.

Adiboo wrote: »
    Great input there.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

TBF he/she went on an awful rant about the council when it has nothing at all to do with them. They weren’t even mentioned by Ciarrai! It’s Irish Water. I’m just worried he/she will get whiplash 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I notice 'The Old Oak' in Rock Street was receiving a lick of red paint this evening

Always thought it was a likely location for a Wetherspoons. They opened in Carlow recently so Tralee must also be on their radar.

The Courthouse might come available as well of course. Spoons go for old buildings like that...... a pint of lager and a suspended sentence please, hic....... 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

TBF he/she went on an awful rant about the council when it has nothing at all to do with them. They weren’t even mentioned by Ciarrai! It’s Irish Water. I’m just worried he/she will get whiplash 😊

Did I quote Ciarrai post as a reply? Did I touch a nerve? Are you one of these job for life cushy council staff. I see you made no actual attempt to argue the actual post. So you might wind your neck in and mind your own business if you have nothing constructive to say.

To be fair, KCC do have to authorise the works, so it has a lot to do with them. They are answerable to the issues as we have spoken to chamber alliance in the past who had to have a meeting with KCC to get information from them about the the previous works in February. And they have to again request more information from them as to the most recent works, due to the fact that only 4 days notice was given!

They have authorised more road works in an area where one half of the street has been closed off due to s dangerous building. The other half has footpaths dug up causing disruption to the businesses there, one of which had to close last weekend due to dangerous access.
    This all falls back to the council!

Not sure anything is actually going in there. More than likely they were forced to paint it by the council!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

kn wrote: »
    Always thought it was a likely location for a Wetherspoons. They opened in Carlow recently so Tralee must also be on their radar.

The Courthouse might come available as well of course. Spoons go for old buildings like that...... a pint of lager and a suspended sentence please, hic....... ��

Not if they read this thread.

I think Tralee is a great spot and love to visit there, we bring the kids to the Aqua Dome every summer, call to the museum which is an amazing set up for such a small building and the public play park nearby is another brilliant facility.

We have often stayed there and enjoyed the pubs, restaurants and beautiful hotels, as well as B and B's and gotten great service and value in all of them.

Likewise the shopping centers outside of the town center itself offer a great service and are perfect for anyone not familiar with the town and worried about parking. We've met the nicest of people in Tralee and have good friends there.

If I was an investor and thinking about taking a chance with a business in Tralee this thread would put me right off to be honest. There seems to be an awful amount of doom and gloom, negativity and complaints posted here which isn't fair to the town.

Tralee is a great spot and people should be more positive.

Rant over, feel better now.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Not if they read this thread.

I think Tralee is a great spot and love to visit there, we bring the kids to the Aqua Dome every summer, call to the museum which is an amazing set up for such a small building and the public play park nearby is another brilliant facility.

We have often stayed there and enjoyed the pubs, restaurants and beautiful hotels, as well as B and B's and gotten great service and value in all of them.

Likewise the shopping centers outside of the town center itself offer a great service and are perfect for anyone not familiar with the town and worried about parking. We've met the nicest of people in Tralee and have good friends there.

If I was an investor and thinking about taking a chance with a business in Tralee this thread would put me right off to be honest. There seems to be an awful amount of doom and gloom, negativity and complaints posted here which isn't fair to the town.

Tralee is a great spot and people should be more positive.

Rant over, feel better now.

Pretty sure a few points about issues in the town won’t put off investment, it’s no different to anywhere else. And the thread isn’t all about doom & gloom. You can’t have rose tinted glasses on & pretend everything is great! The thread is to chat about various issues in town as well as the good etc. I wouldn’t expect a place I go on holidays to be perfect or expect the locals to be 100% happy either. It’s easy as a person who holidays here to see the good and fun things. Locals and businesses have to live here & make a living and it can be extremely hard with various issues ongoing.

Thankfully the town has improved a lot, but there are still a lot of unemployment and issues that need to be dealt with.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Did I quote Ciarrai post as a reply? Did I touch a nerve? Are you one of these job for life cushy council staff. I see you made no actual attempt to argue the actual post. So you might wind your neck in and mind your own business if you have nothing constructive to say.

No pet, shur why would I work 😂 that’s for fools

Look it’s grand it rant and complain about everything and everyone not doing anything for you/the town etc but why complain and not have a suggestion to make something better. Why can’t we do something for the town? Why do we as a town have to be so negative? Ok, Boherbee/Castle St looks like ****e but doesn’t Denny Street look great? Why don’t we counteract a negative with a positive? But Christ sake it actually feels like some people actually hate the place. It just gets tiresome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

My cat had kittens recently, it was probably the councils fault too!!! 🙄

The whinging and negativity is horrendous!!!

It’s all part of decommissioning the old water pipes and replacing them with new ones it’s happening all over Ireland not just Tralee lads get a grip. It’s a good thing, suck it up and move on!!!

Advertisement