Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

If you run a business in the town centre then you would probably be pretty fed up of a lot of things happening. Otherwise lucky you not having to have your customers stop coming into your business due to it being so hard to get to with road works. I hope you all have great jobs, because many businesses in town are suffering due to these issues, and probably having to let staff go. I have spoken to many businesses in town who are fed up to the teeth of the lack of support from the council. Another business is closing this weekend, Gra in the square.

Yes we know water pipes have to be upgraded, but it’s gone on for SIX MONTHS!!! What business can put up with that disruption for that long?? Suck it up? Try telling that to the council when they want rates when your business trade is down or to the bank manager! It’s called the real world!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Look it’s grand it rant and complain about everything and everyone not doing anything for you/the town etc but why complain and not have a suggestion to make something better. Why can’t we do something for the town? Why do we as a town have to be so negative? Ok, Boherbee/Castle St looks like ****e but doesn’t Denny Street look great? Why don’t we counteract a negative with a positive? But Christ sake it actually feels like some people actually hate the place. It just gets tiresome.

I am always one to defend the town and have good things to say about it. But sometimes it’s just not always going to be happy happy oh this town is so amazing. People are entitled to have their opinions too!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but we must be positive. We have to stay positive otherwise what’s the point in anything? Negativity is like a cancer that spreads and destroys. It’s not going to help us as a town.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but we must be positive. We have to stay positive otherwise what’s the point in anything? Negativity is like a cancer that spreads and destroys. It’s not going to help us as a town.

I agree, and I normally am the first to defend the town on this thread, but when you have had to put up with constant disruption to your business for 6 months, with no proper notice, or consideration from the workers involved, Irish water or the council, then you would understand how fed up we are!

I know there is a public meeting on in town this Monday in the KDYS, to address issues in the town and come up with ideas etc. I won't be able to attend, but it is open to anyone to go. I think it starts at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Clab mor wrote: »
    My cat had kittens recently, it was probably the councils fault too!!! ��

The whinging and negativity is horrendous!!!

It’s all part of decommissioning the old water pipes and replacing them with new ones it’s happening all over Ireland not just Tralee lads get a grip. It’s a good thing, suck it up and move on!!!

It actually is.

People should reassess why they are posting what they do, what kind of image do they want to project?

We all know there are some unhappy business owners from Tralee posting here (you don't need to keep reminding us, everyday) but really in all fairness they'd want to snap out of the persecution complex.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

It actually is.

People should reassess why they are posting what they do, what kind of image do they want to project?

We all know there are some unhappy business owners from Tralee posting here (you don't need to keep reminding us, everyday) but really in all fairness they'd want to snap out of the persecution complex.

wow, nice! :D

FYI, No one goes on it about it every day and there's no persecution complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I agree, and I normally am the first to defend the town on this thread, but when you have had to put up with constant disruption to your business for 6 months, with no proper notice, or consideration from the workers involved, Irish water or the council, then you would understand how fed up we are!

I know there is a public meeting on in town this Monday in the KDYS, to address issues in the town and come up with ideas etc. I won't be able to attend, but it is open to anyone to go. I think it starts at 7pm.

I'm slow to disagree with you because you're a Mod and I don't know if I'd be banned or suspended for speaking up. But in my opinion, you sure do have a negative attitude.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I'm slow to disagree with you because you're a Mod and I don't know if I'd be banned or suspended for speaking up. But in my opinion, you sure do have a negative attitude.

Ok, whatever you think! :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

If you run a business in the town centre then you would probably be pretty fed up of a lot of things happening. Otherwise lucky you not having to have your customers stop coming into your business due to it being so hard to get to with road works. I hope you all have great jobs, because many businesses in town are suffering due to these issues, and probably having to let staff go. I have spoken to many businesses in town who are fed up to the teeth of the lack of support from the council. Another business is closing this weekend, Gra in the square.

Yes we know water pipes have to be upgraded, but it’s gone on for SIX MONTHS!!! What business can put up with that disruption for that long?? Suck it up? Try telling that to the council when they want rates when your business trade is down or to the bank manager! It’s called the real world!

We’ve heard this story it’s one one the reasons I stopped following the Facebook page #save tralee ❤️ love tralee 🌹slate tralee 🌹whinge about tralee <snip> and for some reason I think I have a right to speak in behalf of the people of tralee #constant whinging

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

We’ve heard this story it’s one one the reasons I stopped following the Facebook page #save tralee ❤️ love tralee 🌹slate tralee 🌹whinge about tralee/I’m Eddie Barrett and for some reason I think I have a right to speak in behalf of the people of tralee #constant whinging

It's a fair complaint from a business owners point of view, attacking them for feeling this way serves no useful purpose.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss everything about Tralee, warts and all. We shouldn't be trying to gloss over issues for fear of creating an air of negativity, that's what Killarney folk do! :D

Having said that, there is a perception that Tralee folk all-too-easily talk down their town but I think that's somewhat unfair.

As for the rant some posts back attacking KCC, there are some valid points there but KCC is not actually to blame in all cases! Will reply to it in more detail when I'm more sober! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Not sure anything is actually going in there. More than likely they were forced to paint it by the council!

You are right I'd say, it would take more than a lick of paint to get that up and running now!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

To be fair to Ciarrai76, anyone that follows this thread on a continual basis will see that she is in general, very positive about Tralee and is always helpful when people are looking for suggestions for places to stay/eat etc.
    Its fine to say things 'Suck it up' if you are not the one losing income while still facing the same bills every month.

I heard yesterday that Roundys bar was bought by the Ashe hotel!

It also looks like a place is going into the old Chez Christophe unit in courthouse lane. Apparently a cafe/wine bar type place. Saw their Instagram page & it’s apparently going to be called Syphon Coffee Bar & Lounge.

Hope that’s not to negative for some!

It also looks like a place is going into the old Chez Christophe unit in courthouse lane. Apparently a cafe/wine bar type place. Not sure of details.

Hope that’s not to negative for some! ����

Good effort

Good effort

Have you anything to add to the thread apart from pick at what everyone says??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Good effort

Wow, what an annoyance. A bit of cop on please. You claim to be sick of the negativity, yet that seems to be all you post about.

Have you anything to add to the thread apart from pick at what everyone says??

I don’t pick on what everyone says??

As a mod that’s bang out of order I think you should retract that statement!!!!

I am picking on nobody here !!!!!!

I don’t pick on what everyone says??

As a mod that’s bang out of order I think you should retract that statement!!!!

I am picking on nobody here !!!!!!

In fairness, even if it wasn't your intention, it did come across that way.

I think it's time to take a collective breath and move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

So Gra in The Square is closing? That was short-lived. I hope Croi weren't trying to over extend themselves running two restaurants. I wonder is business up for them since they moved Croi to Princes St?

Seanogs has submitted plans to the council to expand into the empty unit at 38 Bridge Street (between Coin off licence and Ela Maria) and also retention permission for the recently converted beer garden. Planning reference below if anyone is interested. That will tidy up the street some more with further occupation of empty units and of course the new Bridge Inn redevelopment.

http://mapping.kerrycoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLitev424/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=19a-19696&FromList=true

• Advertisement

That will make a fine job of the street. Apparently Seán Óg’s have already put in a new beer garden with a bar? I haven’t been down yet for a look but it’s supposed to be looking lovely. It would be fab in this weather.

Is there anything more happening with the Bridge Inn? It seems really quiet down there the past few weeks? Has work stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Pubs and bars are really going for this JM Reidys look with craft beers and gin drinkers and quirky interiors.
    Sean Ogs is a place I’m allergic to myself due to always been packed and stuffy. Maybe the new development will sort that.

I’d say it will attract a newer, younger clientele. To be fair, I’d say it’s one of the few bars in Tralee that has always had a regular constant stream in and out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

It also looks like a place is going into the old Chez Christophe unit in courthouse lane. Apparently a cafe/wine bar type place. Saw their Instagram page & it’s apparently going to be called Syphon Coffee Bar & Lounge.

Hope that’s not to negative for some!

I was in Roundys for the first time on Saturday night, its a nice small pub. I was thinking it was owned by the Ashe, the bar staff seemed to be going across into the Ahse to top up on supplies. The pub could do with an extension, smoking area and some furniture thats a little more comfortable.

Was in Carlow over the weekend and popped into their recently-opened Wetherspoons. Massive pub and busy when I was there in the early evening. Unsurprising with pints of decent beers from just €2.75. Hope they open in Tralee too and shake things up!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I think the council should extend the footpath on Sean Og's side of the street. It really is quite difficult walking there.
    The traffic is one way and there is enough room for a slightly wider footpath.

I think the council should extend the footpath on Sean Og's side of the street. It really is quite difficult walking there.
    The traffic is one way and there is enough room for a slightly wider footpath.

The plan is to remove the footpaths on Russell St & Bridge St and replace with bollards as part of the next phase of the town centre refurbishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Quackster wrote: »
    Was in Carlow over the weekend and popped into their recently-opened Wetherspoons. Massive pub and busy when I was there in the early evening. Unsurprising with pints of decent beers from just €2.75. Hope they open in Tralee too and shake things up!

It's great being able to get a pint for that price but the type of crowd a place like that gathers isnt good.

Fracture wrote: »
    It's great being able to get a pint for that price but the type of crowd a place like that gathers isnt good.

I'm not so sure about that. I've been to the recently opened Wetherspoons in Dublin's Abbey Street and been a few times to the ones in Blanchardstown and Swords - there are always bouncers at the door and the ambience/clientele is always family friendly. They seem to have a fairly strict door policy so potential troublemakers would be weeded out and barred fairly quickly.

I've always thought the KPH (Kerry Protestant Hall) on Ashe Street would make a good Wetherspoons venue - they always go for large, period style or quirkier buildings that would've had former uses as churches, banks etc and are in central locations. KPH would tick most/all of those boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

ongarboy wrote: »
    Seanogs has submitted plans to the council to expand into the empty unit at 38 Bridge Street (between Coin off licence and Ela Maria) and also retention permission for the recently converted beer garden. Planning reference below if anyone is interested. That will tidy up the street some more with further occupation of empty units and of course the new Bridge Inn redevelopment.

http://mapping.kerrycoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLitev424/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=19a-19696&FromList=true

The idea is a wine and whiskey bar that will link into the beer garden and back into the existing bar itself

Advertisement