Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Fracture wrote: »
    It's great being able to get a pint for that price but the type of crowd a place like that gathers isnt good.

I'm not too familiar with the practice of licensing etc. or what branch of government is responsible for it, but the owner of Wetherspoons is an extremely pro-Brexit advocate. I wonder if that will affect any more of them being allowed to open if Britain crashes out without a deal. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I'm not too familiar with the practice of licensing etc. or what branch of government is responsible for it, but the owner of Wetherspoons is an extremely pro-Brexit advocate. I wonder if that will affect any more of them being allowed to open if Britain crashes out without a deal. Just a thought.

It's possible, but I'd imagine that expanding his business and where he stands on Brexit are two seperate issues. I'd imagine Brexit wouldn't stop him expanding his empire.
    I can't imagine a law either that would prohibit anyone opening multiple businesses around the world just because the company is British and a supporter of Brexit, but nothing would shock me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Why would it matter a crap what side of the Brexit fence hes on ?.. I hope he opens dozens more around the country

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Is there any update as to when Castle Street will reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Is there any update as to when Castle Street will reopen?

A taxi driver told me yesterday he's heard it will still be a few weeks yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Adiboo wrote: »
    A taxi driver told me yesterday he's heard it will still be a few weeks yet.

Yikes, that's not good for the town centre! Feel sorry for Bailey's corner having to close for a while!

jim salter wrote: »

It doesn't say in the article he's from Tralee, just says he's from Kerry but living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Double post

It doesn't say in the article he's from Tralee, just says he's from Kerry but living in Dublin.

I grew up with him ;)

• Advertisement

jim salter wrote: »
    I grew up with him ;)

I see! Nice guy obviously :rolleyes: I remember seeing that video when it went viral, it was awful.

I see! Nice guy obviously :rolleyes: I remember seeing that video when it went viral, it was awful.

Yeah, saw it at the time, didn't think much of it until I saw his name mentioned in that article today. It's shocking but I'm not surprised (if you get me), it's strange how people change. When I knew him (early/mid teens) he wouldn't have been like that. Met him in late 20's and I'm not surprised by this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yikes, that's not good for the town centre! Feel sorry for Bailey's corner having to close for a while!

Especially during the height of summer when it would get much of the tourist trade.

On the earlier post about Gra closing in the former Croi restaurant on the Square - that's a shame! I checked out the owner's video on Facebook and he cited lack of tourists and custom in general. It's worrying to think one of the nicest restaurants in Tralee was unable to succeed. I wonder should they have just stayed in the square and not have tried to juggle two restaurants? Is the Princes Street venue doing well for them, I wonder? Something about that restaurant in Princes St (when it was ran under several previous guises) never did it for me - it never felt cosy or particularly inviting. I remenber once when it was a Mexican style restaurant, we were actually shivering as we ate - it was that cold!

ongarboy wrote: »
    Especially during the height of summer when it would get much of the tourist trade.

On the earlier post about Gra closing in the former Croi restaurant on the Square - that's a shame! I checked out the owner's video on Facebook and he cited lack of tourists and custom in general. It's worrying to think one of the nicest restaurants in Tralee was unable to succeed. I wonder should they have just stayed in the square and not have tried to juggle two restaurants? Is the Princes Street venue doing well for them, I wonder? Something about that restaurant in Princes St (when it was ran under several previous guises) never did it for me - it never felt cosy or particularly inviting. I remenber once when it was a Mexican style restaurant, we were actually shivering as we ate - it was that cold!

Kevin, who was the one in that video saying that they were closing Gra is now completely gone from Croi too. He's parted ways with them, so not sure what is happening. Apparently Noel the head chef is going to run it himself. Maybe now that Croi has established itself, means it will be ok in a new location. Rates in the town centre are very high, so may have been one of the reasons for the move to the Princes St location. Hopefully it will do well for them & they continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

The current and on going saga of the relocation of the court house Is all too familiar and it’s seems as though we will soon be in the same situation as we were with Marks and Spenser all those years ago.

I fear if the dept of justice don’t get their way in the denny site that the whole lot will be located outside the town centre in ballymullen barracks.

I understand people’s anger at the use of the denny site for such a project I’m sure when Kerry Group gifted it to the town they had never envisioned that it would be used as the site of a new court house.

I’m torn between the two, the current set up is just not workable any more and the dept of justice are adamant than renovating is not an option. Personally I don’t think it should be renovated it does need a new purpose built building.

I’m not sure what advantages the court house has with been located in town centre. I can’t see it contributing hugely to the towns businesses maybe I’m wrong. One huge advantage Is that if it is located on outskirts of town it will stop many undesirable characters roaming around the town centre on court day.

Hard one to call I just hope those campaigning and threatening to stand infront of diggers at the denny site understand that there is a potential for it to just be taken completely from the town altogether. Like what happened with Marks and Spenser that time a lot of people and businesses could end up with egg on their faces.

As much an all as we think we have a say in this we really don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I took a stroll out in Fenit the last night, out towards the diving boards. I'm aware that a group is in the process of getting them back, but can anyone remember why they were taken away in the first place? I used to have great fun on them growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

bobdcow wrote: »
    I took a stroll out in Fenit the last night, out towards the diving boards. I'm aware that a group is in the process of getting them back, but can anyone remember why they were taken away in the first place? I used to have great fun on them growing up.

Insurance I think ......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Clab mor wrote: »
    The current and on going saga of the relocation of the court house Is all too familiar and it’s seems as though we will soon be in the same situation as we were with Marks and Spenser all those years ago.

I fear if the dept of justice don’t get their way in the denny site that the whole lot will be located outside the town centre in ballymullen barracks.

I understand people’s anger at the use of the denny site for such a project I’m sure when Kerry Group gifted it to the town they had never envisioned that it would be used as the site of a new court house.

I’m torn between the two, the current set up is just not workable any more and the dept of justice are adamant than renovating is not an option. Personally I don’t think it should be renovated it does need a new purpose built building.

I’m not sure what advantages the court house has with been located in town centre. I can’t see it contributing hugely to the towns businesses maybe I’m wrong. One huge advantage Is that if it is located on outskirts of town it will stop many undesirable characters roaming around the town centre on court day.

Hard one to call I just hope those campaigning and threatening to stand infront of diggers at the denny site understand that there is a potential for it to just be taken completely from the town altogether. Like what happened with Marks and Spenser that time a lot of people and businesses could end up with egg on their faces.

As much an all as we think we have a say in this we really don’t.

I had to google that to be honest, it rang a bell but I was doubting my memory.

After reading the first article that popped up I still find it hard to believe it actually happened.

Then I googled Denny Street Courthouse plan.

In all fairness, it's a no brainer that a new state of the art Courthouse should be built there.

The employment it will create in design, planning, construction and maintenance alone will have a huge positive knock on effect, and it also free's up the old building for new development.

It will revitalise the site and serve the community in every sense of the word.

Imagine the amount of time and money we the taxpayers will save by having a purpose built courthouse built next to a Garda station, and how much better the people of Tralee will be served by having more Gardai available to respond to call outs and emergencies.

Someone needs to the maths on this.

It mystifies me how anyone with a social conscience could object to a new courthouse being developed on a free site which is next to the Garda Station?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

bobdcow wrote: »

I thought they were due to re-open this summer, but obviously it hasn't happened. I think it was due to insurance originally, but that's not really going to change now and it will still be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

from today's Irish Times - about time someone spoke up about this, it took months to repair the broken barrier on the Castleisland bypass.

Concerns that unrepaired barriers on motorways threaten commuters
    Kerry motorbike enthusiast says hazardous spikes are regularly left for long spells in the middle of dual carriageways

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/concerns-that-unrepaired-barriers-on-motorways-threaten-commuters-1.3960885

• Advertisement

JonathonS wrote: »
    from today's Irish Times - about time someone spoke up about this, it took months to repair the broken barrier on the Castleisland bypass.

Concerns that unrepaired barriers on motorways threaten commuters
    Kerry motorbike enthusiast says hazardous spikes are regularly left for long spells in the middle of dual carriageways

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/concerns-that-unrepaired-barriers-on-motorways-threaten-commuters-1.3960885

I read the article and if it is a cost issue to repair the broken sections due to motorists speeding and breaking them, then surely they can go through the motorists insurance or fine the motorist the cost of repair?

I thought they were due to re-open this summer, but obviously it hasn't happened. I think it was due to insurance originally, but that's not really going to change now and it will still be an issue?

No sign of movement there yet on replacing them, at this stage I'd assume it will be next summer before they are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/greyhound-board-withdraws-financial-support-from-rose-of-tralee-after-malicious-threats-938184.html

Interesting consequence of recent expose documentary on Irish greyhound racing!!

Roses were being threatened online because of the festivals Greyhound Board sponsorship! That sort of abuse is just as deplorable as animal cruelty!

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/greyhound-board-withdraws-financial-support-from-rose-of-tralee-after-malicious-threats-938184.html

Interesting consequence of recent expose documentary on Irish greyhound racing!!

Roses were being threatened online because of the festivals Greyhound Board sponsorship! That sort of abuse is just as deplorable as animal cruelty!

I forgot to post a week or so ago that I saw loads of negative posts on the rose of Tralee facebook page. All critising the festival on their association with the greyhound industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

It's all part of this new movement where if I don't enjoy something, nobody else should either. Barry's and FBD pulling sponsorship from cork was a spineless PR stunt because of pressure from these groups. They also took photos of a member of staff there and was posting it on their Facebook gossip columns.

As an aside, I'm a dog lover who doesn't go to the track because I don't like it. Vote with your feet and your pockets and these groups should let people do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I see Tralee has been chosen as a finalist in the 2019 Foodie destinations of Ireland.

The winner will be chosen by an online vote, so much potential for business if this award was won.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/tralee-named-finalist-2019-foodie-destinations/

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

uchimata83 wrote: »
    It's all part of this new movement where if I don't enjoy something, nobody else should either. Barry's and FBD pulling sponsorship from cork was a spineless PR stunt because of pressure from these groups. They also took photos of a member of staff there and was posting it on their Facebook gossip columns.

As an aside, I'm a dog lover who doesn't go to the track because I don't like it. Vote with your feet and your pockets and these groups should let people do the same

A movement started by an attention seeker from the North who last year married a pirate ghost from 300 years ago, unfortunately it didn't work and they got separated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tralee-Fenit greenway to begin construction in Autumn

Will be a fabulous amenity when complete

https://www.radiokerry.ie/work-begin-traleefenit-greenway-autumn/

uchimata83 wrote: »

Totally agree with you!

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Tralee-Fenit greenway to begin construction in Autumn

Will be a fabulous amenity when complete

https://www.radiokerry.ie/work-begin-traleefenit-greenway-autumn/

It’s great news. It will be a great addition to the town. I hope it’s finished for next summer.

Advertisement