Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Saw this debated ages ago on Tralee do you know and most people agreed it was traffic from Denny st that has the right of way. Some guy kept trying to argue that it was the mall...which its not as it has yield signs!
    I've seen a lot of Taxis just pull straight out without looking!

That is just down right ridiculous and scary that we have road users putting all our lives at risk this way. Back in the day before the road change layout, yes the Mall traffic had right of way but since the pedestrianization project, the Denny Street to Castle St flow is the main artery and that has right of way. The Mall is now a yielding side road and not even that during daytime when pedestrianization is in effect.

I've almost been collided with driving out of Church St (from Ashe hotel) to Ashe Street even though I've right of way by muppets speeding up from AIB towards me and not yielding (per the "new" layout of the last 5 years or so ) so that is also yet another dangerous junction. People's ignorance really shows when they are put behind a wheel....

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Denny street has right of way over the mall, flashing amber for mall traffic when green light for denny street
    What annoys me is traffic from the mall turning right down denny street, theres a sign clear as day saying no right turn.
    Same issue at st John's which is more annoying as the lights change so quickly you inevitably end up stuck on the red

Might've been mentioned before but saw Guineys opening soon posters plastered across the windows of the old furniture store on ground floor of Parklands apartments/multistorey car park. While not the most exciting brand, good to see the unit occupied.

The unit Guineys did occupy upstairs would make a good restaurant location with views onto Square. Milanos or something similar maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

ongarboy wrote: »

The unit Guineys did occupy upstairs would make a good restaurant location with views onto Square. Milanos or something similar maybe??

Would love to see a Milanos in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's two seriously good Irish bands playing free gigs.

How near would a fella be able to park if he was coming in from the Killarney side?

Would it be a walk or a taxi to the gig or what's the craic?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

How near would a fella be able to park if he was coming in from the Killarney side?

You should be able to park in the Aqua Dome carpark

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Not sure if Aqua dome closes their car park at night after the close (10'ish). You could park on the road outside it just in case, and its only about a 7 minute walk to Denny st. Either that or park around the Boherbee or Moyderwell area, there are 2 carparks in Boherbee and again only a few mins walk down.

Can't wait to see the Hothouse Flowers. I have seen them live a few times, brilliant live. I would like to see Aslan too, but had to choose which night to ask my mum to babysit!

Not sure if Aqua dome closes their car park at night after the close (10'ish). You could park on the road outside it just in case, and its only about a 7 minute walk to Denny st. Either that or park around the Boherbee or Moyderwell area, there are 2 carparks in Boherbee and again only a few mins walk down.

Can't wait to see the Hothouse Flowers. I have seen them live a few times, brilliant live. I would like to see Aslan too, but had to choose which night to ask my mum to babysit!

That's the job in all fairness, any idea what time the bands would be starting at?

Really looking forward to it now, will try to make both gigs but deffo going to the Hothouse Flowers and will try very hard to get to Aslan too.

Sunshine Palace is long overdue a visit.

Any handy spot for a few scoops before the gig or would everywhere be jammed?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

That's the job in all fairness, any idea what time the bands would be starting at?

Really looking forward to it now, will try to make both gigs but deffo going to the Hothouse Flowers and will try very hard to get to Aslan too.

Sunshine Palace is long overdue a visit.

Any handy spot for a few scoops before the gig or would everywhere be jammed?

Hothouse Flowers are on at 9.30pm on the Friday night and Aslan are also starting at 9.30pm on Sunday night. Both are sure to be great gigs! I don't think I've seen Aslan play since about 2001/2002. Even longer since I saw the hothouse flowers, who the last time I saw them was a day gig in the town park. I can't even remember what year that was!

Hothouse Flowers are on at 9.30pm on the Friday night and Aslan are also starting at 9.30pm on Sunday night. Both are sure to be great gigs! I don't think I've seen Aslan play since about 2001/2002. Even longer since I saw the hothouse flowers, who the last time I saw them was a day gig in the town park. I can't even remember what year that was!

Nice one.

The first time I saw Hothouse Flowers was a day gig, Finsbury Park 1990. The plastic pint glasses had "Swiggers with attitude" printed on them.

Happy days visiting my sister and the other trainee nurses she was sharing with, they were some girls for the craic and still are.

• Advertisement

Mirage in the mall is closing down due to retirement. I remember when they opened down in abbey court, they've been around a long time. There are a lot of buildings between there and Bridge street up for sale now. Caballs, Quinlans pub, Derrys shoes building (is he closing?), the hairdressers, which used to be a chemist, the building next to Caballs, Dunnes stores building and Pat Lovett's up the lane by Shaws (he's moved up Boherbee). Hopefully they will be bought/leased soon!

There's also the old Shindig building next to Shaws, I thought the Brogue bought it and were going to be opening something in there? What's happening with it?

Specsavers is moving into the old Mirage building on The Mall. They have planning in with the council to erect new signage to the front. Glad to see a prominent building like that get a good retailer. (even if it now means another vacant building on Castle Street...).

Hands up who remembers when it was Denis Moran's menswear!:):)

ongarboy wrote: »
    Specsavers is moving into the old Mirage building on The Mall. They have planning in with the council to erect new signage to the front. Glad to see a prominent building like that get a good retailer. (even if it now means another vacant building on Castle Street...).

Hands up who remembers when it was Denis Moran's menswear!:):)

Yes I'm old enough to remember that! :D

Good to hear Specsavers moving in there.

CH is due to reopen at the end of September. Looking forward to seeing their new store!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I know I will get shot down for saying this, but jeez, the stage at the Ashe Memorial Hall has gotten very small :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think it was the early 90s that talks of a permanent home first started

https://www.radiokerry.ie/mayor-tralee-believes-permanent-home-needed-rose-tralee-international-festival/

I know I will get shot down for saying this, but jeez, the stage at the Ashe Memorial Hall has gotten very small :eek:

I thought so too, It’s definitely a lot smaller! The stage in the square is nice. It’s a nice dry evening so hopefully there will be a good crowd around for the Hothouse Flowers.

I can't get over how few people were around Tralee last night with so much on offer.

We were one of about a dozen cars to use the Aqua Dome car park at about 8.30pm, we went into the Brandon for food and had a choice of tables. For such a well established business I would of thought it would have been busier on a Friday evening especially with so much happening around the town. As always the food and staff in there are second to none.

We strolled over to the Hothouse Flowers gig and we were able to get as close as we wanted to the stage with plenty of room.

As always with them it was a great gig with a friendly laid back atmosphere.

Even getting a drink in the nearest hotel to the gig was faster than trying to get one in my local after work and it was only a fiver for a pint of Heineken.

Hoping to make it to Aslan Sunday night.

I can't get over how few people were around Tralee last night with so much on offer.

We were one of about a dozen cars to use the Aqua Dome car park at about 8.30pm, we went into the Brandon for food and had a choice of tables. For such a well established business I would of thought it would have been busier on a Friday evening especially with so much happening around the town. As always the food and staff in there are second to none.

We strolled over to the Hothouse Flowers gig and we were able to get as close as we wanted to the stage with plenty of room.

As always with them it was a great gig with a friendly laid back atmosphere.

Even getting a drink in the nearest hotel to the gig was faster than trying to get one in my local after work and it was only a fiver for a pint of Heineken.

Hoping to make it to Aslan Sunday night.

There was a good crowd at the gig, but there didn’t seem to be a big crowd around after. Even the chipper after was quiet. The Hothouse flowers were great! Thankfully rain stayed away too!

Would love to go to Aslan but no babysitter so had to choose one night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I thought the crowd around was decent and the atmosphere was great. We will have to forget about the hayday of the town being packed and we will enjoy the festival more

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Why can't they run these things on time, it's hard to keep the kids occupied.

No sign of fireworks yet tonight and its gone 10pm. I thought they were usually a bit earlier?

Pity the weather didn't hold up tonight. Hopefully better tomorrow, want to head down to the park etc.

*Edited to add, fireworks started just before 10.15pm.

• Advertisement

There were only the 32 Roses down this year, as opposed to the 60 odd they had the last few years, which then would be whittled down to 32. Apparently a new change they made this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

I was at ballymullen parade left bang on time at 8.30????

No sign of fireworks yet tonight and its gone 10pm. I thought they were usually a bit earlier?

Pity the weather didn't hold up tonight. Hopefully better tomorrow, want to head down to the park etc.

*Edited to add, fireworks started just before 10.15pm.

Bang on time too said between 10.15 and 10.30 in programme.

Clab mor wrote: »
    Bang on time too said between 10.15 and 10.30 in programme.

That's good! I didn't think to check the programme. Wasn't in town, just sat at home wondering as it felt late! Not a dig at anyone or anything to do with festival either!

They may be down in the town centre, so it would be a while getting to them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

There were only the 32 Roses down this year, as opposed to the 60 odd they had the last few years, which then would be whittled down to 32. Apparently a new change they made this year.

Think it was judged to be unfair to have 28 families making the journey and they not even making it to the tv shows

Hothouse Flowers were on stage at the time advertised too which is very unusual for any band.

There was a lovely crowd and atmosphere in town today and the weather turned out really nice.

o;

Hothouse Flowers were on stage at the time advertised too which is very unusual for any band.

So we’re Aslan tonight

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    Think it was judged to be unfair to have 28 families making the journey and they not even making it to the tv shows

Yes - and didn't they have a godawful fly on the wall documentary the last year or year before filming the losing Roses reactions when they were told they would not make it to the televised final. That was a very unpopular tactic that attracted much criticism. Imagine a Rose and her family travelling 18000kms from New Zealand or Australia to only get as far as a qualifying heat. It's better to keep the whittled down number of Roses who will get the chance to impress on TV.

Advertisement