Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Clab mor wrote: »
    So we’re Aslan tonight

I find it very hard to understand how people constantly complain about Tralee on this thread.

They seem determined to run the place down with their negative attitude.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I find it very hard to understand how people constantly complain about Tralee on this thread.

They seem determined to run the place down with their negative attitude.

I can't see where people were complaining?

But there are differences of opinions allowed, and people are entitled to say if they don't like something about the town. Its not running the place down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

So we’re Aslan tonight

I couldn't go to Aslan, but I could hear them from my house & they sounded great. I would have loved to have gone. Was anyone here at it?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I can't see where people were complaining?

But there are differences of opinions allowed, and people are entitled to say if they don't like something about the town. Its not running the place down.

Seriously?

Try reading your own posts.

• Advertisement

Seriously?

Ok....not even going there with you again....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I haven't seen or heard any negativity.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Seriously?

Fair criticism is not 'running down' the town. We don't live in a utopia.

Quackster wrote: »
    Fair criticism is not 'running down' the town. We don't live in a utopia.

I accept and respect that.

The point I should have made was this thread should be more proactive in highlighting the positives of the town.

This thread might be the one of the first place's someone from abroad or living in Ireland checks when thinking about visiting the town.

What is the point of posting criticism of Tralee here when there are places and people in the town designated to deal with complaints?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I accept and respect that.

The point I should have made was this thread should be more proactive in highlighting the positives of the town.

This thread might be the one of the first place's someone from abroad or living in Ireland checks when thinking about visiting the town.

What is the point of posting criticism of Tralee here when there are places and people in the town designated to deal with complaints?

I think it's that the forum's primary intention is for people who are from and/or live in Tralee to discuss anything Tralee-related. Warts and all.

I accept that as it's publicly accessible, outsiders can access it and might form a negative opinion based on any criticisms they may read but the same could happen if they picked up a local paper. That's no reason to brush the sh1t under the carpet IMO.

This forum isn't a PR mouthpiece for the town, nor should it be. But at the same time, positive opinions are as valid and welcome here as negative ones, as long as they're based on objective fact.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    I think it's that the forum's primary intention is for people who are from and/or live in Tralee to discuss anything Tralee-related. Warts and all.

I accept that as it's publicly accessible, outsiders can access it and might form a negative opinion based on any criticisms they may read but the same could happen if they picked up a local paper. That's no reason to brush the sh1t under the carpet IMO.

This forum isn't a PR mouthpiece for the town, nor should it be. But at the same time, positive opinions are as valid and welcome here as negative ones, as long as they're based on objective fact.

Well at least if they pick up a local paper they will be in the town spending a few bob and supporting local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

I couldn't go to Aslan, but I could hear them from my house & they sounded great. I would have loved to have gone. Was anyone here at it?

Spent a bit of time around town over the weekend. In comparison to other years, thought there was a nice atmosphere around. The bandstand was a nice addition to the square!!!

Spent a bit of time around town over the weekend. In comparison to other years, thought there was a nice atmosphere around. The bandstand was a nice addition to the square!!!

Yeah the bandstand was nice! They should keep using in the future. We Went downtown Sunday afternoon and we spent most of the time in the park with our little boy. Weather was lovely and there was a lovely atmosphere down there. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Just read that Toireasa Ferris is stepping down from the Council. She’ll be a great loss to the town but I understand she has medical issues that need tending to. Wish her all the best

adam88 wrote: »
    Just read that Toireasa Ferris is stepping down from the Council. She’ll be a great loss to the town but I understand she has medical issues that need tending to. Wish her all the best

Just read it too. Sad to hear it, she’s great at her job, and A lovely person. Her health and family are more important. All the very best to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Anybody used Multi Maintenance Services, have seen them advertised in the Trailer Advertiser.

Anybody used Multi Maintenance Services, have seen them advertised in the Trailer Advertiser.

Yes, I’ve used them a few times for various things. I find them good. They are about to do another job for me soo, in our garden. They also have done chimney cleaning for us which I need done soon too. James is a lovely guy to deal with. I would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Yes, I’ve used them a few times for various things. I find them good. They are about to do another job for me soo, in our garden. They also have done chimney cleaning for us which I need done soon too. James is a lovely guy to deal with. I would recommend them.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just read it too. Sad to hear it, she’s great at her job, and A lovely person. Her health and family are more important. All the very best to her.

I wouldn't share her politics but I always admire her passion and drive for improving Tralee and championing access to vital services etc. A loss to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

• Advertisement

Has anyone been into the new coffee shop 'Syphon' in Courthouse lane? They are serving the Bean in Dingle coffee beans and its really nice.

I think they plan to open in the evenings, doing cocktails. Not sure when that's happening yet. The guy who was running Roundy's up until recently, Stuart, is behind it.

Has anyone been into the new coffee shop 'Syphon' in Courthouse lane? They are serving the Bean in Dingle coffee beans and its really nice.

I think they plan to open in the evenings, doing cocktails. Not sure when that's happening yet. The guy who was running Roundy's up until recently, Stuart, is behind it.

Was it called something else briefly a few months ago? I was there earlier this year when I'm certain it was called something else. Must check it out next time I'm back in Tralee. It definitely has the makings and vibe of some place you'd go in the evening too for a drink etc. Loving all these independent, experimental places opening up around the town. Cheese Shop at back of Garda station also another cool place to visit for great coffee and unusual dishes/treats.

PS - I finally tried out Ugly Mug on a recent visit home but only because we got a seat. We had to turn away the last few times we attempted as all seats were always taken (good complaint I'm sure for the owners but could definitely do with a larger space). I enjoyed the food and vibe so would go back again.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Was it called something else briefly a few months ago? I was there earlier this year when I'm certain it was called something else. Must check it out next time I'm back in Tralee. It definitely has the makings and vibe of some place you'd go in the evening too for a drink etc. Loving all these independent, experimental places opening up around the town. Cheese Shop at back of Garda station also another cool place to visit for great coffee and unusual dishes/treats.

PS - I finally tried out Ugly Mug on a recent visit home but only because we got a seat. We had to turn away the last few times we attempted as all seats were always taken (good complaint I'm sure for the owners but could definitely do with a larger space). I enjoyed the food and vibe so would go back again.

Ugly mug are opening a bigger second place in the Lee strand building up the road, the corner unit right next to Lidl. It won’t be called the ugly mug though, think it’s called the Glasshouse, but same owners. They are due to open this month. He will have more seating and do more food.

That place in courthouse lane was previously briefly called Lost Society. One of the guys from that place is working in Syphon.

Ugly mug are opening a bigger second place in the Lee strand building up the road, the corner unit right next to Lidl. It won’t be called the ugly mug though, think it’s called the Glasshouse, but same owners. They are due to open this month. He will have more seating and do more food.

That place in courthouse lane was previously briefly called Lost Society. One of the guys from that place is working in Syphon.

That's really good news to hear about the Lee Strand building and will be very handy for bus and rail travelers too who arrive early to have a place for tea/coffee and wait comfortably (and of course all the visitors to the new Primary Care centre).

Went up to Manor today and popped into that new Homesavers store. It was busy. It’s pretty much a mixture of Dealz, mr Price and home,store & more. Nice friendly staff. It seems to be the Irish version of the UK store B&M as I could see their labels on a lot of stock.

The juice bar in Manor shopping centre is closed down. I hadn’t heard anything about it being gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Went up to Manor today and popped into that new Homesavers store. It was busy. It’s pretty much a mixture of Dealz, mr Price and home,store & more. Nice friendly staff. It seems to be the Irish version of the UK store B&M as I could see their labels on a lot of stock.

The juice bar in Manor shopping centre is closed down. I hadn’t heard anything about it being gone.
    Was in there too today, it wont do Mr Price any favours I would think, its a more polished set up, although Mr Price has a bigger range I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Was in there too today, it wont do Mr Price any favours I would think, its a more polished set up, although Mr Price has a bigger range I think.

Mr Price is also cheaper for sweets/biscuits etc. Both shops will just pull people away from the supermarkets and convenience stores.
    However they do have a Lucky charms cereal which are very hard to get. Yum yum.

I wonder sometimes how Mr Price can sell a bottle of Volvic water for 50cent yet an Applegreen is 2 euro. How do they get away with it along with Circle K,spars,centra etc. Why do we continue to shop in these stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Forge83 wrote: »
    Mr Price is also cheaper for sweets/biscuits etc. Both shops will just pull people away from the supermarkets and convenience stores.

I wonder sometimes how Mr Price can sell a bottle of Volvic water for 50cent yet an Applegreen is 2 euro. How do they get away with it along with Circle K,spars,centra etc. Why do we continue to shop in these stores.

One word.. convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Forge83 wrote: »

I think some of sweets etc in Mr Price are bought in bulk from bigger UK chains, and the Best before date can sometimes be a touch near.

• Advertisement

The All-Ireland replay will be shown on a big screen in the Square on Saturday! Good move to set that up and the weather is meant to be good at the weekend too. Should be a good atmosphere.

Advertisement