Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Passed by Mannixs old shop at Clash roundabout today. New shop called Toni's opening with traditional store frontage. I couldn't quite figure out if it's going to be a convenience store or cafe or both as the signage said Teas, Coffees and Sandwiches.

Also spotted a dog grooming (Kiera's) shop next to Linnanes pub on Rock St, again with attractive bright shopfront. Nice to see new businesses opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

My uncle is tralee born and bread, one of the old stock, if I can call him that!! We were chatting today about the Sportsfield bar that has been sold, and I mentioned the Roof Top bar owned by the Roches, he said I've been in nearly every pub in Tralee but I don't remember that one.

Am I dreaming, was there a bar upstairs in castle street years ago called the Roof Top bar??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bobdcow wrote: »
    My uncle is tralee born and bread, one of the old stock, if I can call him that!! We were chatting today about the Sportsfield bar that has been sold, and I mentioned the Roof Top bar owned by the Roches, he said I've been in nearly every pub in Tralee but I don't remember that one.

Am I dreaming, was there a bar upstairs in castle street years ago called the Roof Top bar??

I think there was,there was a list of all the old pubs on here one time

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Apparently the Kerry County Council is calling for the legalisation of medicinal marijuana. Never thought I'd see our council trying to head the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

The rooftop bar did indeed exist . Went in there many a time when I couldn't get into spirals. Great place to go when underage .

It was above Willie ryles clothes shop .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

The_Mac wrote: »
    Was passing by McDonalds there on my way back from BTS, they have the sign for the 2 story planning permission up.
    A guy told me recently that Mc Donalds Tralee was averaging €50k profit per DAY!
    Surely not?!

The rooftop bar did indeed exist . Went in there many a time when I couldn't get into spirals. Great place to go when underage .

It was above Willie ryles clothes shop .

If memory serves it then briefly became a restaurant called Chez Max or something??? This would have been back in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

ongarboy wrote:
    If memory serves it then briefly became a restaurant called Chez Max or something??? This would have been back in the 80s

That would have been before my time . I was born in 81 and didn't go there until I was 15 - 16. Was always busy festival week

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

A guy told me recently that Mc Donalds Tralee was averaging €50k profit per DAY!
    Surely not?!

At low water I'd say they are doing that.

There's a sign at 1 of the drive thru windows which says the highest number of cars per hour for the previous month, it's something like 260 an hour.
    If they spend on average €15 each and they are open for 148 hours a week according to opening hours on Google then that adds up to over half a million euro.
    Now I know that some hours will be quiet there but I'd also guess a lot of spenders are over €15 and very few are under that

g1983d wrote: »
    At low water I'd say they are doing that.

There's a sign at 1 of the drive thru windows which says the highest number of cars per hour for the previous month, it's something like 260 an hour.
    If they spend on average €15 each and they are open for 148 hours a week according to opening hours on Google then that adds up to over half a million euro.
    Now I know that some hours will be quiet there but I'd also guess a lot of spenders are over €15 and very few are under that

When you put it that way...
    Its some Goldmine then. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

ongarboy wrote: »

The restaurant was before the Rooftop bar, Colette Dowd had it at one stage, it has a nautical name, ocean spray or something?

I reckon that if they extend this as a massive 2 story one it'll put Burger King out of business for good. It'll look far more impressive. Aside from the point that as lovely as their burgers are, Burger King is too damn expensive. 9.60 if I recall right for a large bacon double cheeseburger meal, while in McDonalds I can get a large double cheeseburger meal for 5.50.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The_Mac wrote: »
    I reckon that if they extend this as a massive 2 story one it'll put Burger King out of business for good. It'll look far more impressive. Aside from the point that as lovely as their burgers are, Burger King is too damn expensive. 9.60 if I recall right for a large bacon double cheeseburger meal, while in McDonalds I can get a large double cheeseburger meal for 5.50.

We went into Burger King up there for the first time about 2 months ago. It was heaving over in McDonalds & all I wanted was a Mcflurry so decided to go to Burger King for a similar type ice cream. There was no one there. No cars parked up, no me in drive thru & it was so dark outside with many outside lights off that it looked closed. We went in & were told they had no ice cream!? That was the end of that!

You would nearly forget that Burger King is there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

You would nearly forget that Burger King is there

Its signage is terrible. You would pass it before you'd even spot it! They have no signage on either route to say its coming up & the entrance signage is terrible.

I have only been in BK a few times since it opened, and it has been very quiet every time.
    Subway seemed to be doing as much business as BK.

Trying to compete with McD's was always a mistake IMO, be it with 'Rocky Mountain' or BK.
    I guess people saw what McDonalds was earning and wanted a piece of the action.
    As it is, its hard to see that place staying open.

If the Burger King wasn't so hidden away it might be doing better,as Ciarrai said the signage for the place is very poor which cant be helping

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Surely not?!

They take in about €15k a day in cash but I've no idea how much the take in with credit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

I read somewhere (don't have link) that McDonalds Tralee is the 2nd most profitable store in Ireland after the McDonalds on Grafton Street.

Images of what the town will look like after the planned works

http://traleetoday.ie/mall-works/

• Advertisement

Images of what the town will look like after the planned works

http://traleetoday.ie/mall-works/

A lot of businesses in the town centre aren't happy with the proposed plans, especially for Denny street.
    What I can't understand is why they are going to start this work right in the middle of summer! They don't plan to be finished until the end of August, but don't they realise that the festival starts n the 17th Aug & if they are doing road works on Denny street how will that work!? This would be better to start in September.

Apparently the consultation process happened a couple of years ago for this upgrade which the council then voted for....why didn't the business people make their objections/observations formally known then instead of complaining now when it's too late to do anything?

I understand the main concession made at that time was not to route part of the two way system into the park behind the Ivy Terrace businesses.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Apparently the consultation process happened a couple of years ago for this upgrade which the council then voted for....why didn't the business people make their objections/observations formally known then instead of complaining now when it's too late to do anything?

I understand the main concession made at that time was not to route part of the two way system into the park behind the Ivy Terrace businesses.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they left it so late. Were there more changes made that they are not happy with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure why they left it so late. Were there more changes made that they are not happy with?

No, a lot of people thought it wasn't going to happen, what with council monies supposedly being tight. Think a few people got a bit of a shock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Has anybody got a contact number for the car valeting place across from McDonalds?

Was just looking at this,

http://traleetoday.ie/six-places-watch-liverpool-game-tonight/

No Greyhound Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

pickled101 wrote: »
    Please check this post http://traleetoday.ie/two-presentation-groups-make-national-finals/ and vote for the four projects from Tralee secondary schools in this competition.
    It is a great achievement to make it to the finals.

here is the link to vote, its on the bottom of the Tralee Today post.
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fh0FfTQKqcz-IuPJGYGjkZ_qMxyDbxG4nhkDnvW_AMc/viewform

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/tralee-pres-students-win-top-award-for-poop-scoop-project/

Congratulations to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Any music event worth going to for the Fleadh in Tralee? Pity about the weather

pickled101 wrote: »
    Any music event worth going to for the Fleadh in Tralee? Pity about the weather

Most pubs will have gigs I'd say.

Anyone know a good poster printing shop? I have an image of a map of Azeroth from the game World of Warcraft that I'd love to get printed.

• Advertisement

Was looking at this http://traleetoday.ie/food-comedy-fusion-kicks-off-new-concept-il-forno/

Whats the grub like in Il Forno?

Advertisement