Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Had our bord bia inspection today and failed on not having a calving gate, is this a new thing as we never needed one before. We have a calving pen and quiet dairy cows calf no bother.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Henwin wrote: »
    Had our bord bia inspection today and failed on not having a calving gate, is this a new thing as we never needed one before. We have a calving pen and quiet dairy cows calf no bother.

I'd say you are on the wrong thread? This is the Tralee thread, did you mean to post in a farming forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Spotted this in the Examiner.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/tralee-planning-row-over-manor-west-extension-949739.html

Is there really a need for another DIY/Garden centre operator in Tralee - especially to be located next door to Woodies? Can't see how it would be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

ongarboy wrote: »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/tralee-planning-row-over-manor-west-extension-949739.html

Is there really a need for another DIY/Garden centre operator in Tralee - especially to be located next door to Woodies? Can't see how it would be viable.

A bit hypocritical from Woodies/Grafton as they obviously took business from the town center when they opened. As for flooding, I’m sure they will address that issue.

However I would agree there is no need for it. Ballyseedy garden center is only out the road. Between local nurseries, flower shops, woodies etc, this market is well covered. It will only lead to the closure of smaller retailers around the town so Kerry county council should reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

ongarboy wrote: »

As a garden centre, Woodies is shite, so I would absolutely welcome a better one to Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Forge83 wrote: »
    A bit hypocritical from Woodies/Grafton as they obviously took business from the town center when they opened. As for flooding, I’m sure they will address that issue.

However I would agree there is no need for it. Ballyseedy garden center is only out the road. Between local nurseries, flower shops, woodies etc, this market is well covered. It will only lead to the closure of smaller retailers around the town so Kerry county council should reconsider.

Ballyseedy is more a cafe and shop than garden centre, very disappointing garden centre. All the others are outside town and not accessible to non-drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Adiboo wrote: »
    Ballyseedy is more a cafe and shop than garden centre, very disappointing garden centre. All the others are outside town and not accessible to non-drivers.

I find it strange that Ballyseedy Garden Centre now operates the cafe at the Co-op Superstore, Raheen, after replacing Cafe Noir. :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ejmaztec wrote: »

I find it strange that Ballyseedy Garden Centre now operates the cafe at the Co-op Superstore, Raheen, after replacing Cafe Noir. :confused:

They do the cafe in the Wetlands too. They must feel they’re doing well in the cafe side of things.

I suspect their profit margin from food/coffee etc is far higher than what they earn from selling bags of soil or hanging baskets, hence their focus on food and beverage.

Don't they also have a place in Cork near Fota?

Duplicate post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Did Michael healy ray ever get planning permission for the Nancy Myles pub or what's happening to it now day
    Enjoyed it in my collage day !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Did Michael healy ray ever get planning permission for the Nancy Myles pub or what's happening to it now day
    Enjoyed it in my collage day !!

I think he holds a weekly clinic in there. His planning permission was rejected because he was proposing a tenement slum.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I think he holds a weekly clinic in there. His planning permission was rejected because he was proposing a tenement slum.

He must be delighted

Hard luck to Kerry today, such a shame. But no doubt they will be back next year!

Apparently there's no 'homecoming' to Tralee tomorrow, just straight to Killarney, which is very disappointing.

Did anyone head down to the square today to watch the match? Great weather for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Hard luck to Kerry today, such a shame. But no doubt they will be back next year!

Apparently there's no 'homecoming' to Tralee tomorrow, just straight to Killarney, which is very disappointing.

Did anyone head down to the square today to watch the match? Great weather for it!

I was talking to a fellow member of the supporters club in Croke Park today and he said the players requested Killarney. I think a decision was made a few years ago that in the event of losing the final there would only be a homecoming in one town. As the captain is from Killarney it makes sense.

Disappointing day today but overall a great year. Having been to every one of the sixteen games they played since February I have to say the future is very bright and while we are understandably gutted tonight the over riding feeling is one of pride.

I saw an old photo in the Tralee advertiser of people queuing for a sale in Derry’s shoes. It shows The Russel Bar in where Shindig used to be. I knew it was previously a pub but I never knew that was the name. I don’t know what year the photo was taken, but it looks like it was in the 80’s, judging by the fashion! Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

In the 60's and 70's this bar was called the Anchor Bar. There was a long dispute covered in the papers where the previous owner picketed the premises for months with a placard "No goodwill here".

In the 60's and 70's this bar was called the Anchor Bar. There was a long dispute covered in the papers where the previous owner picketed the premises for months with a placard "No goodwill here".

Speaking of that old pub, I thought the Brogue bought it and had plans to make it into a bar again. Anyone know what’s happening with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Speaking of that old pub, I thought the Brogue bought it and had plans to make it into a bar again. Anyone know what’s happening with it?

There was definitely planning permission on it last year to turn it into a bar again

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

adam88 wrote: »
    There was definitely planning permission on it last year to turn it into a bar again
    Once the license has been transferred a premises may NEVER become a licensed premises again.............

• Advertisement

Once the license has been transferred a premises may NEVER become a licensed premises again.............

There was planning permission on it last year for a bar anyway

There was planning permission on it last year for a bar anyway[/quote
    Planning is a separate issue to licensing....

There was planning permission on it last year for a bar anyway[/quote
    Planning is a separate issue to licensing....

Surely they’d have done their homework before they would have put themselves through the cost of planning etc

Surely they’d have done their homework before they would have put themselves through the cost of planning etc

Their adviser may not have been aware of that particular licensing issue.It would have no bearing on a planning application..I will find a relevant case later on when I get home and post it for reference purposes.

I heard that the Old Oak no longer has a licence either. And recently heard something might be going in there, but it may not be true if that's the case with the no licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I heard that the Old Oak no longer has a licence either. And recently heard something might be going in there, but it may not be true if that's the case with the no licence.

One of the finest bars going in it's time. How longs it been closed up now? 2005 I'm guessing? Right in the middle of the good old days and well before the **** hit the fan. Such a waste.

One of the finest bars going in it's time. How longs it been closed up now? 2005 I'm guessing? Right in the middle of the good old days and well before the **** hit the fan. Such a waste.

Yes, I think it was around 2004/2005. I think the last time I was in there was in 2001 when I went to see the Walls play. It is a great place for live music. Its a shame it wasn't reopened as a live music venue. Could be similar to Whelans in Dublin.

It was repainted outside recently. Apparently it has now got pigeons living inside it as they have got in a damaged window I think. Its probably wrecked inside. It would need a total refurbishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Yes, I think it was around 2004/2005. I think the last time I was in there was in 2001 when I went to see the Walls play. It is a great place for live music. Its a shame it wasn't reopened as a live music venue. Could be similar to Whelans in Dublin.

It was repainted outside recently. Apparently it has now got pigeons living inside it as they have got in a damaged window I think. Its probably wrecked inside. It would need a total refurbishment.

Fancy going halves on it lol.

Shame the fella just didn't sell it and let someone else do something productive with it.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Their adviser may not have been aware of that particular licensing issue.It would have no bearing on a planning application..I will find a relevant case later on when I get home and post it for reference purposes.

Section 18 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2000 only allows a new licence to be created for a premises that never previously had a licence.

• Advertisement

A theatre license would be an option if someone was to open it as a live music venue.

Advertisement