Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,001 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Quackster wrote: »
    Work going on in the old Benetton unit so that's my bet. The Tralee store will be small IMO, only a fraction of the size of their flagship stores.

It will more than likely be selling vinyl only, thats the model they have been growing the last year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

BPKS wrote: »
    Quackster wrote: »
    Work going on in the old Benetton unit so that's my bet. The Tralee store will be small IMO, only a fraction of the size of their flagship stores.

It will more than likely be selling vinyl only, thats the model they have been growing the last year or two

If they want to go out of business in two hours yes! They'll certainly sell vinyl due to it's increasing popularity but they will obviously sell CDs, DVDs etc like all their other stores too. They'd be foolish not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Just walked through the town centre and noticed the lights out and shutters down in The Phone Depot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Lots of vacant buildings there in around Bridge Street. Sad. That's right in the heart of the town. What's that McQuinns there. Was that a bar or something one time? Looks like it'd be a lovely bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Just walked through the town centre and noticed the lights out and shutters down in The Phone Depot.....
    Closed until Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Lots of vacant buildings there in around Bridge Street. Sad. That's right in the heart of the town. What's that McQuinns there. Was that a bar or something one time? Looks like it'd be a lovely bar.

Was there a butchers in there at one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Was there a butchers in there at one point?

I'm too young 😂

Never remember anything there.

Fancy going halves 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I'm too young 😂

Never remember anything there.

Fancy going halves 😂

I recall There was a gents clothes shop in there for a bit, something like Sean Husseys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

adam88 wrote: »
    I recall There was a gents clothes shop in there for a bit, something like Sean Husseys

I must be thinking of somewhere else so. Is mcquinns the building on corner next to cabals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I must be thinking of somewhere else so. Is mcquinns the building on corner next to cabals?

No your right, I thought you were asking about the phone depot place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

There was a clothes shop around there at one time called 'New Gent', I think the owner was Nugent!
    On Phone Depot, rather unusual to close for a few days for 'Staff Training' I would have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

And if you were even older, before New Gent it was Mr. Hipps :)

phormium wrote: »
    Luckily, that doesnt ring a bell!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

phormium wrote: »
    New Gent was a great play on words but so also was Mr. Hipps. HP = Hire Purchase, their business model was to secure with a small deposit and pay back over several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

New Gent was a great play on words but so also was Mr. Hipps. HP = Hire Purchase, their business model was to secure with a small deposit and pay back over several months.

I fondly remember buying my first pair of Levi 501’s on tick from HIPPS. I used to call down every week and pay a £1 off my account.

Luckily, that doesnt ring a bell!

Nope, not with me either! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Where was MR Hipps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Adiboo wrote: »
    Where was MR Hipps?
    I'm thankfully too young to remember but it's the unit between Quinlans fish shop and Pandora.

I do remember NewGent though, bought my first interview suit there.

Gas how clothes have become so inexpensive and disposable now. Imagine paying off a pair of jeans via hire purchase nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm thankfully too young to remember but it's the unit between Quinlans fish shop and Pandora.

I do remember NewGent though, bought my first interview suit there.

Gas how clothes have become so inexpensive and disposable now. Imagine paying off a pair of jeans via hire purchase nowadays!

I remember putting a deposit on a dress in (wait for it....) Gaywear!

Actually, now I think of it, it was a white jumpsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Nope, not with me either! :D

I haven't a clue either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't know how long Mr Hipps was there but I would say it was definitely there around early 60s and I would guess changed to New Gent in maybe mid to late 80s. I really feel that shop was there when I was going to school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Seems like a good time to re post this

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I remember putting a deposit on a dress in (wait for it....) Gaywear!

Actually, now I think of it, it was a white jumpsuit.

I have a very vague recollection of Gaywear. Was it in Castle Street?

My days of putting down deposits for clothes was in Shindig! The excite,ent when it was paid off. Shindig are celebrating 30 years in business now! Where have those years gone?? Scary! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I have a very vague recollection of Gaywear. Was it in Castle Street?

My days of putting down deposits for clothes was in Shindig! The excite,ent when it was paid off. Shindig are celebrating 30 years in business now! Where have those years gone?? Scary! :eek:

I was so much older then - I'm younger than that now.

Work going on in the old Jack & Jones unit. So possibly where Golden disks are going after all.

Work going on in the old Jack & Jones unit. So possibly where Golden disks are going after all.

That would be a good spot for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

There was a climate protest in today circling the pedestrian crossings by the huddle. Ironically slowing traffic on an already tight roundabout. There were more gards there than protesters and not many of them looked like they took time off work to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

[HTML][/HTML]
    uchimata83 wrote: »
    There was a climate protest in today circling the pedestrian crossings by the huddle. Ironically slowing traffic on an already tight roundabout. There were more gards there than protesters and not many of them looked like they took time off work to take part.

Yes. Some of the same faces there today that were out for the same sex marriage/abortion protests. You just need to convince a few to help push through the agenda of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ComputerTech

Anyone know what the incident was in the new Corrib filling station was tonight ... I never seen so many Garda cars and vans in one spot in Tralee ... filling store closed as a result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anyone know what the incident was in the new Corrib filling station was tonight ... I never seen so many Garda cars and vans in one spot in Tralee ... filling store closed as a result?

Half price meal deal with a free Mars bar.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement