Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Kellihers hardware are opening a toy shop upstairs in their store! 5hey have done a bit of upgrading of the store in general. They moved the paint department into a stand-alone unit out the back near the carpark.
    That shop has so much stock!

And they're now open during lunch. Finally!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Dunnes Stores NCR did a big job on their carpark, resurfacing and repainting the car spaces. They have put in extra disabled spaces and extra parent and child spaces. But the normal spaces are just as tight as ever. They missed a trick there by not making them a bit wider. They would have probably lost a few spaces doing it, but everyone complains how narrow their car spaces are!

They did a big job to their lighting inside too, looks really well in there. Apparently their new café is opening in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kellihers hardware are opening a toy shop upstairs in their store! 5hey have done a bit of upgrading of the store in general. They moved the paint department into a stand-alone unit out the back near the carpark.
    That shop has so much stock!

Where's kellihers hardware?

Honest question :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Its in Rock Street, just a few doors up from Garvey's Supervalu. Quite a big hardware store, been there for a long long time!

Not sure how long actually...anyone know how long Kellihers hardware in business?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You must not have grown up in Tralee.😊 It's probably one of the town's retail institutions of the last 100 years, but less so in the last 25 I'd say. Saying that I feel it hasn't moved with the times. As someone said, if they only copped on in 2019 that closing for lunch is a bad business move, it shows how outdated their business approach has been. Place always seems cluttered and overloaded with stock. Odd that they are opening a toy store when World of Wonder up from them and Caballs has to close theirs.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    You must not have grown up in Tralee.�� It's probably one of the town's retail institutions of the last 100 years, but less so in the last 25 I'd say. Saying that I feel it hasn't moved with the times. As someone said, if they only copped on in 2019 that closing for lunch is a bad business move, it shows how outdated their business approach has been. Place always seems cluttered and overloaded with stock. Odd that they are opening a toy store when World of Wonder up from them and Caballs has to close theirs.

Eventhough they are now meant to be open through lunch, I could have sworn they were closed one lunch time recently when I passed in the car as I commented that I thought they now opened for lunch and they had a sign up saying they were closed!? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

When's the 'Tralee meet up' taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You must not have grown up in Tralee.�� It's probably one of the town's retail institutions of the last 100 years, but less so in the last 25 I'd say. Saying that I feel it hasn't moved with the times. As someone said, if they only copped on in 2019 that closing for lunch is a bad business move, it shows how outdated their business approach has been. Place always seems cluttered and overloaded with stock. Odd that they are opening a toy store when World of Wonder up from them and Caballs has to close theirs.

I remember when they eventually allowed people to pay with debit and credit cards, it was a momentous occasion :p

I think most of the longstanding hardware stores in towns across the country are a lot cheaper than the likes of Woodies, given that they all seem to own the properties and don't pay huge rents to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You must not have grown up in Tralee.ðŸ˜.

Got my right to remain recently :)

It doesn't take quiet as long to go home anymore after a weekend in Tralee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I remember when they eventually allowed people to pay with debit and credit cards, it was a momentous occasion :p

I think most of the longstanding hardware stores in towns across the country are a lot cheaper than the likes of Woodies, given that they all seem to own the properties and don't pay huge rents to anyone.

Woodies must be working on profit margins in the thousands of %, anytime I am badly stuck for something I always get a shock at the prices.

I needed a few long wood screws recently, 11 euro for 25. Hardware shop = 3.75 for 25.
    Another day I needed a meter of electric cable Woodies 28 euro for a 15m roll of it, Electrical shop = 1 euro a meter.

They are generally located in easy access spots with plenty of parking which apart from heavy advertising must be the only reason they are still a viable business. I can't see them lasting more than a couple of more years in Ireland.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Woodies must be working on profit margins in the thousands of %, anytime I am badly stuck for something I always get a shock at the prices.

I needed a few long wood screws recently, 11 euro for 25. Hardware shop = 3.75 for 25.
    Another day I needed a meter of electric cable Woodies 28 euro for a 15m roll of it, Electrical shop = 1 euro a meter.

They are generally located in easy access spots with plenty of parking which apart from heavy advertising must be the only reason they are still a viable business. I can't see them lasting more than a couple of more years in Ireland.

Woodies are owned by Grafton Group. Believe me, They are going nowhere. Woodies pray on Joe Public who don’t know they are being ripped off in there.

As for Kellihers, yes a bit behind the times but they seem to always have what you need in stock at a good price.
    As for the Toy shop, Caballs was viable, just closed due to retirement. I think one of the staff members from Caballs may be involved in the Kellihers venture so enough experience to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Woodies are hardly a fly by night operation. They've been operating for 30 years and over 15 in Tralee. As the other poster said, they're not going anywhere. They have strong brand awareness and convenient parking in retail parks which are natural draws in themselves. Like Spar or Centra, people will pay more for convenience.

Woodies are hardly a fly by night operation. They've been operating for 30 years and over 15 in Tralee. As the other poster said, they're not going anywhere. They have strong brand awareness and convenient parking in retail parks which are natural draws in themselves. Like Spar or Centra, people will pay more for convenience.

I never compared them to a fly by night operation.

The reason I don't see them lasting more than a couple of more years is I think the overpricing is beyond the point of compensating for convenience and more and more people become aware of this sooner or later.

They seem to have targeted the an elderly customer base years ago the demographic of which will now be more inclined to just ask someone else to either do the small job or source the materials needed.

No tradesman is going to source materials for a job in Woodie's when other suppliers have the same or better products at a fraction of the price and will also give credit and offer delivery.

I think they're near the end of the road as a business success, I could be totally wrong.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

I never compared them to a fly by night operation.

The reason I don't see them lasting more than a couple of more years is I think the overpricing is beyond the point of compensating for convenience and more and more people become aware of this sooner or later.

They seem to have targeted the an elderly customer base years ago the demographic of which will now be more inclined to just ask someone else to either do the small job or source the materials needed.

No tradesman is going to source materials for a job in Woodie's when other suppliers have the same or better products at a fraction of the price and will also give credit and offer delivery.

I think they're near the end of the road as a business success, I could be totally wrong.

Your totally wrong I’m afraid.
    19% increase in profits in 2018.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/operating-profit-jumps-19pc-at-woodies-diy-owner-boosted-by-irish-performance-37864192.html

Forge83 wrote: »

Did you actually read the article?

It is referring to Grafton Group making a 19% profit in 2018, not Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I would actually have thought their target market was the exact opposite of the older shopper. I am 60 and know full well that if I want to buy some of that stuff I'd head for Kellihers and then maybe what used to be McCowens, they have another name change now and I can't remember it. Woodies would probably be my last port of call other than for a ramble around every now and then, I do buy the odd thing there but only when I'm sure it's a good deal.

But if I asked my daughter or her husband, mid 30s, to get some screws or general hardware type stuff the first place she would think of would be Woodies or actually more B&Q where she lives, another over priced outfit but convenient, open Sundays etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Quackster wrote: »
    And they're now open during lunch. Finally!

Just checked today & not open at lunch. Pain.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    Just checked today & not open at lunch. Pain.

T.

I passed at lunch recently too and they were closed. Strange. Why can’t they do staggered lunch breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ComputerTech

I was in Youghal, Co. Cork over the weekend and I've seen that the old Lidi store was being worked on ... the new owners are "JKSY" who are the rival to "IKEA" and will open just before Christmas.
    I was of the understanding that they were to come to TRALEE !!!! .... so much for new outlets on the way to Tralee.

I was in Youghal, Co. Cork over the weekend and I've seen that the old Lidi store was being worked on ... the new owners are "JKSY" who are the rival to "IKEA" and will open just before Christmas.
    I was of the understanding that they were to come to TRALEE !!!! .... so much for new outlets on the way to Tralee.

There's been no confirmation on it yet, still in talks I think. Probably be next year now before anything happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I passed at lunch recently too and they were closed. Strange. Why can’t they do staggered lunch breaks!

I was in there a few months back when they first started opening at lunch and overheard two young staff members saying the older staff will take their lunch at normal 1-2 time and the young guys will take theirs at 2-3. Shame they seem not to be continuing it. I've often gone down specifically to shop in there forgetting about the lunch hour to find it closed.

That'd be an interesting move. Although I would have thought it makes sense where they are beside Supervalu, given that it's the favoured supermarket of pensioners. Subdividing the Tesco unit would require planning permission as well and there's no application to do so as of now.

So it does look like it will be operating from an internally separate unit accessed through Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

So it does look like it will be operating from an internally separate unit accessed through Tesco!

I think that’s a wicked bad move by them, people use rock st cause it’s so convenient, if it’s down in Tesco’s I may as well go to the main P.O.

adam88 wrote: »
    I think that’s a wicked bad move by them, people use rock st cause it’s so convenient, if it’s down in Tesco’s I may as well go to the main P.O.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by that move. Fair enough if they need a bigger unit, but why move in with Tescos? Seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Is the Rock St office definitely closing down? Could the one going into Tesco just be a little post kiosk type thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Dont know how true it is, but I heard that Garveys have bought the Rock St PO building
    I think they will do okay down in Tescos with a nice modern set up, there is certainly plenty of footfall (and parking) in that part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Rock street post office isnt moving to Tesco

Seems to be a rumour that's got out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Pretty sure I seen an article about it in either Kerry's Eye or Kerryman last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Did anyone hear anything about Denny Lane closing down? Apparently they have a closed for renovations sign up but that people have said they won’t be reopening and many people have bookings for Christmas etc.
    *Edited to add that according to posts on Facebook, they are closed for good.

I also heard that Mozart’s are closing too (Saturday apparently). Sad news all round. Not nice to hear this bad news.

I heard the same in relation to both apparently. Wasn't sure if it was true. The Denny Lane place did a great €10 special soup & main on a Tuesday.

• Advertisement

The postmaster is quoted in last week's Kerry's Eye saying that they are in negotiations. So more than just a rumour.

Advertisement