Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Has anyone here been to the festive Christmas thing in the Museum in the last couple of years? Trying to decide whether to book it or not. Is it suitable for a 3 year old? He seems more aware of Christmas & Santa this year so thinking it might be worth chancing. Is it worth the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Has anyone here been to the festive Christmas thing in the Museum in the last couple of years? Trying to decide whether to book it or not. Is it suitable for a 3 year old? He seems more aware of Christmas & Santa this year so thinking it might be worth chancing. Is it worth the money?

Went last year with our 6 year old, it was only fair tbh, we were in Crag Cave the year before and it was much better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Dont know how true it is, but I heard that Garveys have bought the Rock St PO building
    I think they will do okay down in Tescos with a nice modern set up, there is certainly plenty of footfall (and parking) in that part of town.

That would make sense for Garveys to buy it as they wrap around it on three sides!

The PO should move into Caballs as it would maintain the same catchment area. Plenty of space there. Although not sure if I'd like that landmark red building painted gaudy An Post green....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kn wrote: »
    I heard the same in relation to both apparently. Wasn't sure if it was true. The Denny Lane place did a great €10 special soup & main on a Tuesday.

Denny lane is gone. Friend worked there.:(
    I never knew Tralee had more than one post office!!

Ive a lot to learn :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Denny lane is gone. Friend worked there.:(
    I never knew Tralee had more than one post office!!

Ive a lot to learn :D

There are 3 post offices in Tralee! Another one up in Ballymullen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ongarboy wrote: »
    That would make sense for Garveys to buy it as they wrap around it on three sides!

The PO should move into Caballs as it would maintain the same catchment area. Plenty of space there. Although not sure if I'd like that landmark red building painted gaudy An Post green....

I think Garveys offered incventives to locate the Listowel post office on their premises. It seems to be a SuperValu pattern, as Twohig's SuperValu in Abbeyfeale has also got the post office on their premises.

If Rock Street is closing down, I think Garvey's would be a bit miffed if Tesco got their hands on the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

I always use Ballymullen if I just want a post office, different if you are parked down town anyway either of the other two is fine but you can't beat Ballymullen for ease of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Troberto

Quackster wrote: »
    The postmaster is quoted in last week's Kerry's Eye saying that they are in negotiations. So more than just a rumour.

Back in Tralee last week after 12 months travelling so catching up on all the “rumours”, in the Kerry’s Eye and elsewhere. I see Baileys are open again after their mishap, can’t wait to see the new section open. I heard over weekend that post office in Rock street was looking at the old large Spar building in Caherslee but that seems just too big. Speaking of Spar, I see For Sale signs gone off the old shop in Monavalley too, Supposed to be apartments going in there ?? As if more are needed in Tralee.
    Finally any sign of anyone Re-opening the burger bar in Monavalley, was it Jers place ?

I see there’s some sort of pop up shop going into the old Benneton unit in the square. Not sure how long it will be there for given it’s a pop up shop.

CH has reopened today after their big renovation job. Looking forward to seeing it when I'm in town tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Ger's place only recently closed so I would doubt it will open again soon, like was said previous it is competition with the Burger Shack which is one of the best in town

We were in Town today and had a look in windows of the new Guineys, looks very impressive to be fair, a very far cry from the old place!
    Also went in to Golden Discs, great to see it, but as I browsed around the shelves, it was hard not to think they are fighting against the tide.

Guineys is re-opening in their new store on Thursday. Much better unit, much more accessible. I never liked the place they were in, always felt so cluttered and messy.

I like the new Golden disks shop. Lots of room to move around and some good deals. Very busy in there yesterday. They are opening new stores all the time, so I guess they feel the business is there. The vinyls seem very expensive though.

There's some sort of pop up fashion shop gone into the old Benneton unit. Not sure what its about, and how long its meant to be there for?

Guineys is re-opening in their new store on Thursday. Much better unit, much more accessible. I never liked the place they were in, always felt so cluttered and messy.

I like the new Golden disks shop. Lots of room to move around and some good deals. Very busy in there yesterday. They are opening new stores all the time, so I guess they feel the business is there. The vinyls seem very expensive though.

There's some sort of pop up fashion shop gone into the old Benneton unit. Not sure what its about, and how long its meant to be there for?

No idea on that, but given the time of year, I'd imagine they will be gone again in early January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You've obviously never been in their Dublin shops :D

Where will the new shop be?.....asking for my wife ;)

You've obviously never been in their Dublin shops :D

Where will the new shop be?.....asking for my wife ;)

not far from current shop, just down a bit opposite the carpark (same building as underground carpark is).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I see the Tesco is taking shape. The new PO is going to be at the far end. Surprise surprise that you have to walk through the entire shop to get to it. I imagine they are getting a licence from Tesco to operate in there rather than fully fledged lease with attendant property rights. And that the rent will be either free or at a relatively peppercorn rate with the traffic they will drive in their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

kn wrote: »
    I see the Tesco is taking shape. The new PO is going to be at the far end. Surprise surprise that you have to walk through the entire shop to get to it.......

The General PO In Edward st will just get a lot busier imho

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Forge83

Does Tralee really need 3 post offices?
    Seems a bit mad. Surely the general po could cope easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ComputerTech

Tralee cara credit union has closed its online banks as they have deliberately change all users online password????
    Then you are advised to contact cara credit union on 066 7122373 in order for them to reactivate your now suspended as a user can only make 3 attempts to log-in.
    So your now advised to contact by phone on the above number. This is inpossable to do as the call will go dead and no agents are available to talk to customers.
    I first phone and left a message with "Webmaster" within cara credit union.
    The only way to contact is to call to its office's in person and join its long long queues.
    What a way to run a new banking service ... Last weekend it atm machine was out of service on a bank holiday weekend
    Pure and utter contempt for it's customers!!!!!!!

Mod edit: Removed unnecessary caps. Please don't post in this manner again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Tralee cara credit union has closed its online banks as they have deliberately change all users online password????
    Then you are advised to contact cara credit union on 066 7122373 in order for them to reactivate your now suspended as a user can only make 3 attempts to log-in.
    So your now advised to contact by phone on the above number. This is inpossable to do as the call will go dead and no agents are available to talk to customers.
    The only way to contact is to call to its office's in person and join its long long queues.
    What a way to run a new banking service ... Last weekend it atm machine was out of service on a bank holiday weekend

Just logged into my Cara CU online banking using my existing pin & password and all working as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

Just logged into my Cara CU online banking using my existing pin & password and all working as normal.

Same here, no problems at all.

Popped into the new Guiney's this evening. Same auld tat and a cheap fit-out but much more spacious so doesn't feel cluttered like the old store. Sign up saying upstairs will be open in the new year, whatever they'll have up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Popped into the new Guiney's this evening. Same auld tat and a cheap fit-out but much more spacious so doesn't feel cluttered like the old store. Sign up saying upstairs will be open in the new year, whatever they'll have up there.

Their curtains, bed linen and maybe rugs are actually ok. Everything else they sell does seem to have a cheapness look about them. Still, great to see such a large unit occupied and lit up on the dark evenings as it was a rather drab area when vacant.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Their curtains, bed linen and maybe rugs are actually ok. Everything else they sell does seem to have a cheapness look about them. Still, great to see such a large unit occupied and lit up on the dark evenings as it was a rather drab area when vacant.

Yeah, they're good for picking up the odd bit of hardware/homeware but looking at their clothes instantly transports me back to types of shops I vaguely remember as a young kid in the 80s! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

No issue either, they recently changed their login sequence to comply with EU laws, Perhaps you entered details wrong. I've never had issue with their online service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Also, there wouldn't be "long long" queues as you would just be going to their customer service desk (1) to report an online issue and that counter never has queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

where has the bif carpet and flooring store that used to be near Noykes gone, has it moved or closed down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

goat2 wrote: »
    where has the bif carpet and flooring store that used to be near Noykes gone, has it moved or closed down

That closed some time ago, but wasn't it the same Factory Carpets people that have a unit at Monavalley?

https://www.factorycarpets.ie/

Advertisement