Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

kn wrote: »
    Abbey Inn closing down down tonight. Believe it or not.

Possible expansion for The HQ offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Forge83 wrote: »

Not by the sounds of the traleetoday article. It looks like it has been bought but hq will be unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Wow, definitely the end of an era...but maybe the era us 70s/80s/90s kids are recalling was long since gone...hope the new owners make it a social draw, whatever it will be. Great write up below.

http://traleetoday.ie/photos-after-51-years-the-abbey-inn-prepares-to-shut-its-doors/

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

That's where the wife and I got together, It was nice at times to have a drink in there and remembering a younger time in our lives :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Of course this also makes Hennessy's as the ONLY regular late house in Tralee most nights of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

Of course this also makes Hennessy's as the ONLY regular late house in Tralee most nights of the week.

Ain't that just a depressing thought

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Does the Blasket not do many late nights or is it just weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

My wife was saying that Benners will open the night club during the festive period, I don't know how true that is but it would be nice place to go if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

CinderKone wrote: »
    Used to love the Abbey before it expanded.

Lot of people saying the same thing. The clientele there at the weekend was very off putting

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Does the Blasket not do many late nights or is it just weekends?

Tuesday night anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

bobdcow wrote: »
    My wife was saying that Benners will open the night club during the festive period, I don't know how true that is but it would be nice place to go if its true.

They open it for Christmas for the last couple of years now. I think they do for bank holiday weekends too during year. They keep age limit at over 28’s too which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

They open it for Christmas for the last couple of years now. I think they do for bank holiday weekends too during year. They keep age limit at over 28’s too which is good.

Do you not mind being excluded though?!

Do you not mind being excluded though?!

ah you are too kind!:p I wish I was under 28, I wish I was under 38 in fact! lol

ah you are too kind!:p I wish I was under 28, I wish I was under 38 in fact! lol

I am only barely making the next one on the list! :eek:

I am only barely making the next one on the list! :eek:

I think I would feel old going to a nightclub now even if it was for over 28's. There needs to be one for over 40's :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

ABBEY INN
    Abbey Inn closing down tonight. Believe it or not.
    A Tralee institution gone forever!!!!
    Used to love the Abbey before it expanded.
    adam88 wrote: »
    Lot of people saying the same thing. The clientele there at the weekend was very off putting
    I just literally heard about it. Sad news. It’s been a long time coming though. Lots of good times in there when I first started going out in my late teens. Sad to see an old business going.
    Update: it is closing down after Saturday night...so last chance to get a pint, and a shift, at the bar .........
    Tempting...as I'm over in Tralee visiting relatives but I'd prefer memories of the pre spirals amazing craic. The whole place rocking to Twisted Firestarter!
    And the sawdust on the floor... yeah, I was there back then....
    Quackster wrote: »
    If it's put up for sale, I wonder will JDW give it the once over...
    It would certainly be an option for Wetherspoons. Which I really love in the UK.
    Forge83 wrote: »
    xxyyzz wrote: »
    Not by the sounds of the Tralee Today article. It looks like it has been bought but HQ will be unaffected.
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Wow, the end of an era...but maybe the era us 70s/80s/90s kids are recalling was long since gone...hope the new owners make it a social draw, whatever it will be.
    bobdcow wrote: »
    That's where the wife and I got together, it was nice at times to have a drink in there and remembering a younger time in our lives :-)
    Ain't that just a depressing thought

I notice there's not one word of sympathy or concern for ANY of the dedicated Leane family members and/or hard working staff that will lose out - just some me me me and business comments - a sad bunch imvho.

My Best Wishes for the future to all concerned !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

amadain wrote: »
    I notice there's not one word of sympathy or concern for ANY of the dedicated Leane family members and/or hard working staff that will lose out - just some me me me and business comments - a sad bunch imvho.

Jesus, what nit picking. Get off that imaginary high horse of yours.

Adiboo wrote: »
    Jesus, what nit picking. Get off that imaginary high horse of yours.

And its VERY imaginary.

What do you expect people to say?? No one has wished ill will on them, so relax would you! Please don't quote every single thing people have said about the abbey, because not one of those quotes is being rude. They are entitled to chat about it.

And if you read the comments correctly, you would see I said it was SAD to see a business closing!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

What do you expect people to say?? No one has wished ill will on them, so relax would you! Please don't quote every single thing people have said about the abbey, because not one of those quotes is being rude. They are entitled to chat about it.

And if you read the comments correctly, you would see I said it was SAD to see a business closing!!! :mad:

I heard The Abbey was taken over by NAMA last year with the owners given 12 months grace to organise their affairs.

• Advertisement

Clab mor wrote: »
    I heard The Abbey was taken over by NAMA last year with the owners given 12 months grace to organise their affairs.

Yeah, I heard Nama were involved in some way alright. Sad when a longterm business like that has no choice but to close their doors. It can happen to anyone I guess...

Yeah, I heard Nama were involved in some way alright. Sad when a longterm business like that has no choice but to close their doors. It can happen to anyone I guess...

Were they not stuck in that big building across the way from aldi???? Eden court I think the name is

Were they not stuck in that big building across the way from aldi???? Eden court I think the name is

Who was?

Who was?

Leanes

Leanes

I don’t know. Do you mean they owned the building?

I think I would feel old going to a nightclub now even if it was for over 28's. There needs to be one for over 40's :D:D

They used to have dance's in the CY a few years back for that cohort...........:P

They used to have dance's in the CY a few years back for that cohort...........:P

Thankfully I'm not THAT old! :rolleyes::P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Different Leanes

rash wrote: »
    Different Leanes

Thanks for clearing that up! I was thinking that, knew they didn't have anything to do with that place!

• Advertisement

Good to hear that two new businesses have opened in town this week. There's a new phone shop opened in Bridge st, near Cleary's and a travel agents have opened in the shopping centre. Both located very close to each other. Best of luck to all involved!

Advertisement