Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

Ah phone shop...what one hand giveth, the other taketh away
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Opening a travel agency as we enter 2020?? Apart from the odd pensioner or rare person who is not online savvy, do people still use them to book flights and hotels? I think I last used one around 2002....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,043 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ongarboy wrote: »
    Opening a travel agency as we enter 2020?? Apart from the odd pensioner or rare person who is not online savvy, do people still use them to book flights and hotels? I think I last used one around 2002....

Perhaps some people like facing a human being when they part with big bucks for a holiday, and don't want to read that their online booking agent has gone down the crapper and taken their money with them?

I've never used a travel agent in my life, not even online, but I can understand why some people do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There are two other travel agencies in Tralee so it’s not that strange. I’m very tech savvy, but I would rather go to a travel agent to plan a holiday than do it myself. I haven’t been on holiday in 5 years but last time we did I used an agent. It’s a lot less time consuming and they can find the deals that I havent the time to search for. Also used Slatterys travel for our honeymoon in 2009, no way we could have planned it by ourselves. I am hoping to go to a wedding abroad late next year and plan to use an agent to get the best deal. Each to their own though.

Ithink it’s great to see them open. They obviously feel the demand is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

These days the travel agent just uses the online booking sites . We went to one last year and I noticed she was using TUI.

We got all the info and booked.it ourselves through TUI saving a couple of hundred euro on the price that was quoted by the agent. I assume.this was their booking or handling fee ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

bobdcow wrote: »
    My wife was saying that Benners will open the night club during the festive period, I don't know how true that is but it would be nice place to go if its true.

Just saw on Benners facebook page that the nightclub is open on the 20th, 21st, 23rd and 26th December!

The Grand will also have their nightclub open over Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Just saw on Benners facebook page that the nightclub is open on the 20th, 21st, 23rd and 26th December!

The Grand will also have their nightclub open over Christmas!

Even if Benners or the Grand opened the nightclubs once a month with a different local charity getting the money from the night

Would it work I wonder?

It would be at least making an attempt to get a bit of nightlife going in the town again

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I like the travel agent when we don't have the funds to pay up front, on the day we book. It's nice to be able to pay weekly and not take out a loan for the holiday. That's the main reason I'd use a Travel Agent.

bobdcow wrote: »
    I like the travel agent when we don't have the funds to pay up front, on the day we book. It's nice to be able to pay weekly and not take out a loan for the holiday. That's the main reason I'd use a Travel Agent.

Good point! That's another reason we have used them in the past. Hoping to do the same again for next year!

I saw on Tralee Historical page that someone mentioned the Osborne bar in Edward St being painted. Does anyone know if it's reopening as a pub or is it just been cleaned up externally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

bobdcow wrote:

You can do that with TUI . 75PP deposit and pay the rest over time .

I saw on Tralee Historical page that someone mentioned the Osborne bar in Edward St being painted. Does anyone know if it's reopening as a pub or is it just been cleaned up externally?

I think it’s just being tidied up. It was painted outside today. Don’t think anything Is going in. I Was told There is no licence in there now.

Dunnes Stores on NCR reopened their cafe this week, just in time for the Christmas rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

We gain one in Dunnes, lose one in Wetlands!

Very disappointed today to discover Ballyseedy Cafe in Wetlands is closing next week, kitchen already closed so no nice brekky there today, had to make do with a scone!

Hopefully someone else will open up quickly, it's a lovely spot so close to town with handy parking for a coffee or lunch.

phormium wrote: »
    We gain one in Dunnes, lose one in Wetlands!

Very disappointed today to discover Ballyseedy Cafe in Wetlands is closing next week, kitchen already closed so no nice brekky there today, had to make do with a scone!

Hopefully someone else will open up quickly, it's a lovely spot so close to town with handy parking for a coffee or lunch.

That's a shame. It was a lovely addition to the Wetlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FarmerSmith

I’m a bit out of the loop - where would be good for
    an early dinner (around 6pm) with 2 kids (6&3).

We’ve done La Scala & Pizzatime recently so want somewhere else but I can’t think of anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

We’ve done La Scala & Pizzatime recently so want somewhere else but I can’t think of anywhere.

Benners Hotel do very nice meals or the Sunshine Palace is very good if you like Chinese food.

Great service in both too which always makes the experience more enjoyable.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Disappointed to hear that too. Thought it was doing quite well since Ballyseede took over. Was a bit quieter ok the last time I was there.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Can’t go wrong with the Brogue Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

TigerTim wrote: »
    Disappointed to hear that too. Thought it was doing quite well since Ballyseede took over. Was a bit quieter ok the last time I was there.

T.

Disappointed here too, always was lively whenever we were there, but was always at a weekend, maybe it wasnt doing enough during the week to be viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I went by there yesterday and it was locked. Is the garden centre still operating?

I went by there yesterday and it was locked. Is the garden centre still operating?

Yeah they are still open. I saw the Wetlands mention they and the cafe were closing early on Sunday due to storm, so it must have been open over weekend. Ballyseedy have an ad in Kerry’s Eye and it mentions their Wetlands cafe. So not sure what’s going on.

Good news. I understand it will also have a drive thru facility.

Speaking of cafes, KCC are seeking tenders to run the cafe at Wetlands. If a great and highly reputable restaurant like Ballyseedy couldn't profit from it, I can't see anyone else doing so. If say the location really struggles outside summer months and weekends...

Check out this article: "Expressions of interest sought to operate Tralee café" on the Radio Kerry app
    https://5uo3.app.link/71CFsvN2k2

Good news. I understand it will also have a drive thru facility.

Speaking of cafes, KCC are seeking tenders to run the cafe at Wetlands. If a great and highly reputable restaurant like Ballyseedy couldn't profit from it, I can't see anyone else doing so. If say the location really struggles outside summer months and weekends...

Check out this article: "Expressions of interest sought to operate Tralee café" on the Radio Kerry app
    https://5uo3.app.link/71CFsvN2k2

I would be surprised if Ballyseedy had managed to wipe out their €4 million debt over the last 6 years....economies of scale... belts need to be tightened.. consolidate etc

I would be surprised if Ballyseedy had managed to wipe out their €4 million debt over the last 6 years....economies of scale... belts need to be tightened.. consolidate etc

They opened up in Raheen, co. Limerick recently, and they are opening another two cafés in a Co-op Superstore in Midleton and Carrigaline, according to their facebook page.

They opened up in Raheen, co. Limerick recently, and they are opening another two cafés in a Co-op Superstore in Midleton and Carrigaline, according to their facebook page.

Yes indeed, but they were tenders..cost less than the existing one for the Wetlands....the previous tenant of the Wetlands reckoned it took him nearly 3 years before he started turning a proper profit..
    The KCC will have to seriously drop their price for anyone to take it on as a going concern I think

Did anyone go down to the square on Saturday for the 'snow day' that was organised? I didn't make it down, but I heard it was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Did they say where Starbucks will be located in Tralee and when they open or is yet to be announced on Facebook? First I heard of it coming to Tralee. I didn't get to the town only to Manor West that day. Should have been a good Christmas vibe around in Tralee town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

We're getting a Starbucks? Ah well, better coffee than Costa, I suppose.

Advertisement