Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Therapie were meant to be opening about 2 years ago in the old Lee Records store in Castle st, but apparently they had issues with planning and didn't go ahead with it. I thought I heard they were looking to open in a different location in Tralee, but maybe they are still planning to go into the original unit.

Looks like its a Daybreak that's going into the old Sweeneys unit in Castle street. I don't know when they are due to open, but I assume its in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Good to hear there is a convenience store opening in the town centre again. Walk down the main streets of Dublin, Cork or Limerick and you'll pass numerous Spars, Centras etc but nothing similar in Tralee's main strip from Bridge Street all the way to Clash. Dunnes, Tesco and Supervalu are fine but they are all off the main thoroughfare and the petrol stations are too peripheral.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I noticed there's a job advertised on indeed.ie for a store manager for a health food business called Nourish. Apparently they are due to open in Dunnes NCR in July. It looks like from their website they have opened in a few Dunnes stores already. I wonder will it be some sort of concession store within Dunnes? !

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I noticed there's a job advertised on indeed.ie for a store manager for a health food business called Nourish. Apparently they are due to open in Dunnes NCR in July. It looks like from their website they have opened in a few Dunnes stores already. I wonder will it be some sort of concession store within Dunnes? !

I think they are a formerly-independent retailer that were bought up by Dunnes in recent years; like Cafe Sol, Whelan's Butchers etc.

Edit: In the case of Nourish, it appears it's a partnership rather than a takeover. Although I suspect Dunnes's intention is to take them over sooner or later.

Quackster wrote: »
    I think they are a formerly-independent retailer that were bought up by Dunnes in recent years; like Cafe Sol, Whelan's Butchers etc.

Edit: In the case of Nourish, it appears it's a partnership rather than a takeover. Although I suspect Dunnes's intention is to take them over sooner or later.

I wonder where in the store they will be located? Maybe there will be a bit of an area cleared with them as sort of a concession store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

No it’s reopening as a shop. A local man is reopening it, it will be great to see it open again. I’d love to know where Therapie is going? Is the old Lee Record shop still empty ?

Specsavers would seem a likely fit. I'm pretty sure there would be no need for a change of use application for planning as it would be in the same general theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

kn wrote: »
    Specsavers would seem a likely fit. I'm pretty sure there would be no need for a change of use application for planning as it would be in the same general theme.

Yeah you’re right, it’s the perfect spot. Space out the front for retail and loads of room out the back for treatments.

There looks to be work going on in the old Xtra Vision unit, so Starbucks must be starting their fit out etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

There looks to be work going on in the old Xtra Vision unit, so Starbucks must be starting their fit out etc.

Indeed, manager hired and opening next month

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Indeed, manager hired and opening next month

Will it be a drive through like Shannon Airport one? I remember reading they had requested it, assume would loop round

• Advertisement

Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    Will it be a drive through like Shannon Airport one? I remember reading they had requested it, assume would loop round

They had sought planning for a drive through and they seem to have put in windows to the side of the building, so it looks as thought it may well be.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

They had sought planning for a drive through and they seem to have put in windows to the side of the building, so it looks as thought it may well be.

I presume traffic flow will have to be reversed, as in come out by the off licence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Good to see diggers at work at the old Bridge Inn development in front of Seanogs. Some deep basement excavations going on. I was concerned there for a while as it seemed nothing was happening for months.

UI just came across a new business opening on Instagram called Mizzoni Pizza! No details on their account yet as to where or when. I lived in Dublin for a few years and there are a few Mizzoni Pizza places there and I remember they did great food.

Edited to say that apparently they are opening in the horan centre, but where exactly I’m not sure. I’m thinking maybe in that carvery place. They may be adding it into the existing business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

UI just came across a new business opening on Instagram called Mizzoni Pizza! No details on their account yet as to where or when. I lived in Dublin for a few years and there are a few Mizzoni Pizza places there and I remember they did great food.

Edited to say that apparently they are opening in the horan centre, but where exactly I’m not sure. I’m thinking maybe in that carvery place. They may be adding it into the existing business.
    I reckon it's the polish cafe.
    They were telling me a few weeks ago about doing pizza in the evenings.

The council wouldn't let them do sit down so it's take away. Hopefully things have changed since and we can sit down

The council wouldn't let them do sit down so it's take away. Hopefully things have changed since and we can sit down

What Polish café is in the Horan centre? Or do they run the carvery up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

The old John Griffin Butchers in Horan Center is run by Polish lads. Lovely food and great portions. Hopefully they will be doing pizza, I'd say they will do great business. There are tables and chairs inside there so I'd presume you'd be able to have your pizza there if you wanted - take away would suit me though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

The Polish cafe on the mall?

bobdcow wrote: »
    The old John Griffin Butchers in Horan Center is run by Polish lads. Lovely food and great portions. Hopefully they will be doing pizza, I'd say they will do great business. There are tables and chairs inside there so I'd presume you'd be able to have your pizza there if you wanted - take away would suit me though
    Adiboo wrote: »

no, the Carvery in the Horans center is run by Polish guys. Looks like it will be in there.

It looks like there's some work going on in the empty butchers unit in Castle Street (used to be O'Connells butchers for years). Anyone know if there's something due to open in there?

That Js Custom wear seems to have gone out of the unit up beside the Slieve Mish bar. It never seemed to be open, and its emptied out again. Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

It looks like there's some work going on in the empty butchers unit in Castle Street (used to be O'Connells butchers for years). Anyone know if there's something due to open in there?

That Js Custom wear seems to have gone out of the unit up beside the Slieve Mish bar. It never seemed to be open, and its emptied out again. Strange.

I know there was another council order issued against O'Connell's due to the building being in serious disrepair...so I'm guessing it's to do with that

I know there was another council order issued against O'Connell's due to the building being in serious disrepair...so I'm guessing it's to do with that

Yeah I noticed that up on the window. I wonder why more landlords with long term empty retail units don’t convert them into residential and they would be guaranteed rent with the amount of people looking for accommodation. I know cost is a big factor, many landlords may not be able to afford it. Plus planning is an issue obviously. There have been a few retail units changed into residential accommodation in Castle Street and I noticed a couple in rock street recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Is anything happening to the old Nissan Unit in Manor, the old sign is gone from the building (it did say opening in 2019, so I can assume they took it down) but there seems to be very little work going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Forge83

bobdcow wrote: »
    Is anything happening to the old Nissan Unit in Manor, the old sign is gone from the building (it did say opening in 2019, so I can assume they took it down) but there seems to be very little work going on there.

Fitzgibbon interiors hoping to open before the end of the month last time I heard.
    Workers in there every day I’ve been in Manor bar Sundays. They added a full second floor to a massive unit so a lot of work done. They were painting display pods during the week so I’d imagine the next phase will be adding product displays.

Not singling you out but I don't know what part of my post was difficult having read the replies...it must be my accent :D

The cafe is near Argos at the Horan centre and is run by polish lads.
    Great food and reasonable for those on the lookout for both.

They told me they will be getting a pizza oven in for pizza in the evenings.
    The council won't allow sit down due to it possibly becoming a gathering spot for unruly teenagers etc.

So to recap.......

Cafe....polish..Horan centre.....pizza..... takeaway...:D :D.
    I'll have to ask my kids to write next time...they've picked up a Kerry accent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Not singling you out but I don't know what part of my post was difficult having read the replies...it must be my accent :D

The cafe is near Argos at the Horan centre and is run by polish lads.
    Great food and reasonable for those on the lookout for both.

They told me they will be getting a pizza oven in for pizza in the evenings.
    The council won't allow sit down due to it possibly becoming a gathering spot for unruly teenagers etc.

So to recap.......

Cafe....polish..Horan centre.....pizza..... takeaway...:D :D.
    I'll have to ask my kids to write next time...they've picked up a Kerry accent ;)

Thats not a Cafe

Thats not a Cafe

What would you call then? It's not a restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I'd personally call it a deli.

The cafe part had me thinking the cafe in town next to CEX. Think it's Polish run.

I'd personally call it a deli.

The cafe part had me thinking the cafe in town next to CEX. Think it's Polish run.

Ah,the complexities of the English language. Polish isn't as difficult by comparison. :)

Anyway, when is this rain going to end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

Ah,the complexities of the English language. Polish isn't as difficult by comparison. :)

Anyway, when is this rain going to end?

Nigdy ðŸ˜

Advertisement