Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Banna Beach closed to the public now!

• Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Banna beach was very busy this afternoon but there seemed to be a burst pipe on the road as you approach the main carpark- a reasonable amount of flooding evident. Possibly some repair work needed which may be a partial justification for closure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Banna Beach closed to the public now!

We stupidly drove out there today, saw the jam packed carpark, drove straight back out. Don't know why we even went there, but didn't stay. Cars were like sardines! I was not going to get out of car, so we left. We found a little place a few miles down the road and had a stroll where there was very few people walking.

Anywhere outdoors is going to end up packed full of people, especially as the weather improves etc. It will end up that all public spaces closed are down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was there a market boot sale today?

Its very unlikely there would be at the moment.

One of the neighbours heard there was a death in the hospital from the virus - hopefully untrue, but we'll know when tonight's figures come out.

It may be true, there was a 4th death announced this evening, but obviously no location given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Just spotted on traleetoday.ie that Banna was actually cleared by the Gardaí due to concerns about people not adhering to the social distancing rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Google Portmarnock and also Glendalough carpark to see some serious stupidity today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    It may be true, there was a 4th death announced this evening, but obviously no location given.

The one announced this evening was in the "East" of the country. Male with underlying health issues.

Adiboo wrote: »
    The one announced this evening was in the "East" of the country. Male with underlying health issues.

Ah I see. I read there was a death but nothing mentioned where in country.

Do they work on figures from the day or two before?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just spotted on traleetoday.ie that Banna was actually cleared by the Gardaí due to concerns about people not adhering to the social distancing rules.

When was that? I went there about half five and it was nice and quiet in the main carpark so parked there. Met a lot of traffic coming against me on the way out so can only assume it was packed earlier.

When leaving just after seven, the carpark had filled up, which I thought rather strange.

Will stick to the more isolated carparks in future.

• Advertisement

In east of the country. So can only assume that rumour about UHK is just more fake news.

Quackster wrote: »
    When was that? I went there about half five and it was nice and quiet in the main carpark so parked there. Met a lot of traffic coming against me on the way out so can only assume it was packed earlier.

When leaving just after seven, the carpark had filled up, which I thought rather strange.

Will stick to the more isolated carparks in future.

We went there at about 2pm, carpark was jammed. We left straight away. I don't know what time the Gardaí came out.

One more person with Covid-19 from Kerry added to the list tonight, making it 9 in the county now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

One more person with Covid-19 from Kerry added to the list tonight, making it 9 in the county now.

All things considered that is not bad news.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

All things considered that is not bad news.

I agree! Not a big jump each day thankfully. Dublin is the worst and getting worse by the day.

It seems to be if a death happens today, it will be reported in tomorrows numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I agree! Not a big jump each day thankfully. Dublin is the worst and getting worse by the day.

Seems to spread fastest in large urban areas - Cork up to 101, and the other counties relatively scattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It seems to be if a death happens today, it will be reported in tomorrows numbers.

That's as good as it will get by any world standard.

We're lucky to have reliable sources.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

That's as good as it will get by any world standard.

We're lucky to have reliable sources.

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

kn wrote: »
    Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    I heard a name of a pub as well.

Guy that came back from Cheltenham may have infected a few locals, in the various pubs/restaurants he visited imvho.
    A few are awaiting test results I believe.

Only the tip of the iceberg, so stay safe and healthy at home.
    See Spain going on lockdown today until 11th April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Any links to the best websites for “Tralee virus” updates ?

amadain wrote: »
    Any links to the best websites for “Tralee virus” updates ?

There's no website for specific Tralee cases. HSE website is the only reliable and trusted site, but they don't tell you where any of these cases are from.

Has anyone been to main post office this morning or any shops? What can I expect today? Have not been to town in over a week.

Has anyone been to main post office this morning or any shops? What can I expect today? Have not been to town in over a week.

I don't know about the post office, but the supermarkets are fine. I did see that Dunnes North Circular road was quite busy on Saturday with a long queue outside as they are limiting to 100 people instore so you may have to wait. Saying that, when I drove past yesterday, I couldn't see a queue. Dunnes in the Horan centre isn't as busy, but you may have to wait outside also. I was in Aldi yesterday and not too busy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

If people continue to ignore HSE advice and go on with their lives as if nothing has happened, contamination will grow exponentially, and this thing will be with us for the longterm.

Young people are not immune to it - an 18 year old died from it in England, and a 36 year old healthy nurse is in ICU with it in UK also.

We can only hope that a vaccine will be found for it, and that is the best chance it will go away.

Stay safe. Self-isolate. Practice social distancing. Best of luck to all.

I don't know about the post office, but the supermarkets are fine. I did see that Dunnes North Circular road was quite busy on Saturday with a long queue outside as they are limiting to 100 people instore so you may have to wait. Saying that, when I drove past yesterday, I couldn't see a queue. Dunnes in the Horan centre isn't as busy, but you may have to wait outside also. I was in Aldi yesterday and not too busy at all.

Post Office was quiet, seems they have an okay system in there. A bit tight on space at the counter, you have to go within 2 feet of someone to pass by to get to counter.

Tesco in the square is terrible, people waiting inside the entrance and exit. Staff doing nothing to enforce any distancing. I had to tell people to move along so people could leave.

If people continue to ignore HSE advice and go on with their lives as if nothing has happened, contamination will grow exponentially, and this thing will be with us for the longterm.

Young people are not immune to it - an 18 year old died from it in England, and a 36 year old healthy nurse is in ICU with it in UK also.

We can only hope that a vaccine will be found for it, and that is the best chance it will go away.

Stay safe. Self-isolate. Practice social distancing. Best of luck to all.

Unfortunately, it is with us for the long term now, there's no getting rid of it. What we're doing is trying to make sure we don't all get it at the same time and overwhelm the health service.

And if it's anything like other coronaviruses, like the ones that cause the common cold, getting the virus (or vaccine) may only provide three to six months immunity.

Also, as you say, it affects all ages. There are plenty of reports of severe illness in even young children (although no reported fatalities in under 16s AFAIK).

But at least our government, in following the WHO advice of testing, testing, testing, is following best practice (unlike our near neighbours).

Post Office was quiet, seems they have an okay system in there. A bit tight on space at the counter, you have to go within 2 feet of someone to pass by to get to counter.

Tesco in the square is terrible, people waiting inside the entrance and exit. Staff doing nothing to enforce any distancing. I had to tell people to move along so people could leave.

By all accounts, Tesco at Manor was very busy at the weekend and no attempt to control numbers in the store either.

• Advertisement

Dunnes seem to be doing a great job, especially the NCR branch, but Horan's is good too. They are taking a lot of precautions. I have seen from Tesco in the UK, the customers are all congregating outside, in big groups. No co-ordination, and no cop on from the customers either...it works both ways!
    At least with Dunnes here, even if you have to queue outside, you have to keep a gap and they are being quite good at doing it.

Advertisement