Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

It seems a family unit of 7 is amongst the figures..
    It's these family clusters that will spike numbers..and maybe cause a bit of panic if you look at the figures in isolation....
    Yes..the numbers will increase... but the rate will slow I believe...could take time... but I genuinely believe that amongst all the countries in Europe...we have the best plan of action in place....how many of us would have thought that the week we went to the polls?

It seems a family unit of 7 is amongst the figures..
    It's these family clusters that will spike numbers..and maybe cause a bit of panic if you look at the figures in isolation....
    Yes..the numbers will increase... but the rate will slow I believe...could take time... but I genuinely believe that amongst all the countries in Europe...we have the best plan of action in place....how many of us would have thought that the week we went to the polls?

I echo this chaps excellent, succinct analysis.

While we are far from out of the woods the response of the government has been Herculean.

Taking Wales as an example of Tory inaction, population 3.6 million population and 28 dead already as of yesterday.

Far, far too early to say if we are winning this fight but some perspective is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Quackster wrote: »
    I'd actually expect the opposite as the daily figures for the past week or more have been artificially limited by the number of tests that could be processed in 24 hours.

In recent days testing capacity has been ramped up, and will continue to over the coming days too.

At the same time, the decision to focus testing on cases that are more likely to be positive will see the percentage of tests returning positive results abruptly jump too.

So we could see a further acceleration in daily new confirmed cases over the next week or so before it starts to ease off and then hopefully decline.

But I agree, our testing regime has been top-notch and we should be proud of the work the HSE has been doing on it.

Had my test for tomorrow cancelled. They are prioritising risk groups. We'll never have the full story on the numbers infected. I'm in isolation for another week. Great weather for gardening

I echo this chaps excellent, succinct analysis.

While we are far from out of the woods the response of the government has been Herculean.

Taking Wales as an example of Tory inaction, population 3.6 million population and 28 dead already as of yesterday.

Far, far too early to say if we are winning this fight but some perspective is required.

I was listening to a report on rte radio from medical staff saying they don't have the ppe available and are being infected and infecting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

5 more cases in Kerry, so 38 in all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Would be very interested to see the 38 broken down to see what towns have what . I'd imagine tralee could he quite high

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

At least it was a much smaller increase compared to yesterday! Trying to see a positive in all of this...trying! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Is it true one of the deaths was in Kerry?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Sos88sos88 wrote: »

No reported deaths in Kerry up to now. There was one reported in the South today, but as of yet no word on if it was here or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Ciarrai76 wrote:
    No reported deaths in Kerry up to now. There was one reported in the South today, but as of yet no word on if it was here or not.

Ah the old WhatsApp rumour train is in overdrive. Seen a couple of them saying Kerry

• Advertisement

Ah the old WhatsApp rumour train is in overdrive. Seen a couple of them saying Kerry

Its the first death in the South of the country, it could be anywhere! Cork have high rates of covid19 so quite a high chance its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Sadly, first of many. The closer to home, the more scary it’s going to get. Be amazed if Ireland gets away with less than 100.

If groups of people (not just young) would stop all gathering together as if its some sort of summer holiday we might actually be able to get back to normal sooner! Some People just don't seem to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

...what towns have what. I'd imagine TRALEE could be quite high

Castle St, Rock St and estates like Connolly & Brendan’s Pk riddled, but in self LOCKDOWN, unreported and untested btw. Seems Facebook is more in tune locally. Stay at home.

amadain wrote: »
    Castle St, Rock St and estates like Connolly & Brendan’s Pk riddled, but in self LOCKDOWN, unreported and untested btw. Seems Facebook is more in tune locally. Stay at home.

What Makes you think these areas would be Riddled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

What Makes you think these areas would be Riddled ?

I would imagine it’s their close proximity to a certain public house and takeaway restaurant.

I would imagine it’s their close proximity to a certain public house and takeaway restaurant.

Oh I understand that. However I wouldn't Class Castle Street as close proximity.
    I wonder is there another Establishment in Castle Street we are unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

Oh I understand that. However I wouldn't Class Castle Street as close proximity.
    I wonder is there another Establishment in Castle Street we are unaware of.

I think the Friday night everyone came back from Cheltenham all the bars in town were fairly full.

Total cleaning have 5L bottles of liquid soap in stock.
    Also has sanitiser

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I believe so. Not sure why it’s all being kept so quiet and under the radar.

What will be the most interesting statistics of this, and not wishing to upset people, will be things like the suicide and road death rates. It’s a unique thing to shut the country up for a number of weeks to create a sort of reverse situation to normal.
    You would think that the suicide rate would go up, due to the imposed isolation and the lack of social outlets for people, and conversely the road death rate should go down markedly because there will be less people on the roads, and in theory less drink and drug driving.
    According to the Kerry’s eye, crime rates have dropped significantly already.
    Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

A local woman has posted on Facebook that her mother in-law has passed away from Covid_19
    (Death wasn't in Ireland)

Just making it a little more real for some today unfortunately

To inject some mirth at this grim time, Borris Johnson now has it.

Comments sections the world over are going to be lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What will be the most interesting statistics of this, and not wishing to upset people, will be things like the suicide and road death rates. It’s a unique thing to shut the country up for a number of weeks to create a sort of reverse situation to normal.
    You would think that the suicide rate would go up, due to the imposed isolation and the lack of social outlets for people, and conversely the road death rate should go down markedly because there will be less people on the roads, and in theory less drink and drug driving.
    Time will tell.

I think suicide rates will actually drop due to the reduction in excessive gambling and drinking and drug taking.

It would be very interesting to see any relevant statistics when this is all over.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

amadain wrote: »
    Sadly, first of many. The closer to home, the more scary it’s going to get. Be amazed if Ireland gets away with less than 100.

I sure we will have gone well past 100 by this time next week. I think we will definitely hit 4 if not 5 figures.

Never mind the Chinese numbers - they are a complete work of fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I think I had it but obviously don't know that for a fact until they make this antibody test available. In short 3 weeks ago I was in contact with a friend who was not feeling well for a few days but though it was a cold rather than this virus. So 4 days later I developed a heat in the cheeks and the cough, but no fever beyond the heat in the cheeks. It lasted for all of a few hours. But I have noticed another one of the symptoms since, aches on the upper arms. At the time I thought of course that without the fever etc and only lasted a few hours it was not corona virus. But on reflection now I think I had it but only very mildly as it seems this fever does not develop in all cases.

Time will tell.

Presumably they don't want to say anything publicly unless/until the family want to do so.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kn wrote: »
    I sure we will have gone well past 100 by this time next week. I think we will definitely hit 4 if not 5 figures.

Never mind the Chinese numbers - they are a complete work of fiction.

The worst-case-scenario upper limit is 25k to 50k deaths nationally.

It's interesting to note that we seem to be showing the same trend as other countries in that around two-thirds of fatalities are male. All deaths so far are in individuals who picked up the infection in a health-care facility.

No new cases reported for Kerry today . However a 302 leap across the board.

No new cases reported for Kerry today . However a 302 leap across the board.

I don't think the county figures are out yet, just have the national details so far.

• Advertisement

Just updated now - six new Kerry cases, brings us up to 44.

Advertisement