Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

amadain wrote: »
    Ignore any rise in the number of reported cases. The most important stat that really matters is that the daily reported death rate has peaked (at 54, now down to 36) and is thnakfully on a downward spiral.

Comparing these 210 deaths (forecast 283) from the Corona Covid-19 Virus ‘Pandumbic’ to our Annual Death Rate we get a percentage of 0.0068% of the annual death rate.
    We 'LOCKed DOWN' the entire country for this tiny figure, endangering the economic livelihood of thousands, while the the Govt is now spending millions and millions to keep it propped up.
    Remember our Healthcare system was in crisis before all this! and they didn't throw half as much money at it.

You're up there with Gemma O'Doherty with your lunatic statements if you think the lock down was unnecessary. Did you not see what happened in Northern Italy and now in New York city where they didn't lock down quick enough? Morgues were overflowing with dead bodies. Hospitals were stretched to their worst crisis in history because of it. 1000s dead there and rising.

There's no point in you listing out other normal causes of deaths and their numbers as virtually all of them (cancer, strokes, heart attacks etc) are not contagious. Covid 19 is deadly contagious already infecting 5400 people in the republic despite the early lock down measures. It would've been multiples of that if we didn't lock down when we did and contained the rapid spread. You most likely would have been grieving the death of loved ones belong to you if we didn't lock down. If your income has been affected by this, I sympathize with you and everyone else who also has but the economic cost was/is worth less than the human cost.

Some of the ignorance I'm reading online still continues to shock me! What next, 5G masts spread the virus....oh wait...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

We 'LOCKed DOWN' the entire country for this tiny figure, endangering the economic livelihood of thousands, while the the Govt is now spending millions and millions to keep it propped up.
    Remember our Healthcare system was in crisis before all this! and they didn't throw half as much money at it.

Two weeks ago, before the lockdown, you were on this thread screaming for a lockdown!!

Now you're doing a complete 180..?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

TO BE VERY CLEAR

Lockdown WAS necessary ! (In fact we were too late in doing so imvho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

TO BE VERY CLEAR

Lockdown WAS necessary ! (In fact we were too late in doing so imvho)
    Username is apt :D
    Thre figures would have been a lot worse on for the lockdown. I wouldnt be so certain that numbers have peaked. More to come.

PHASE 1 is almost complete as the ‘death curve’ is on the way down, and our cooperation successfully stopped a massive flood on our Hospital systems by lowering the ‘case curve’ and stemming the spread. In fact most of our hospitals are half empty (apart from virus related cases) with empty beds for the first time in years !

PHASE 2 is now getting people back to work ASAP, albeit in a ‘very controlled and restricted’ manner.
    TESTING is an absolute priority in this phase. Protection for elderly and in particular Nursing Homes or similar residential homes. Easing travel restrictions for ‘qualifying’ persons. Maintaining and controlling social distancing measures. Letting tree surgeons get on with their solitary jobs. Getting Hospital Consultants back to see their more important and critical patients. Providing PPE where it’s vital and needed, etc, etc, etc. Recreation and School issues need to be solved, and the sooner the better for an important ‘feel good factor’ to return.
    Thus preventing an economic suicide and getting back to a ’new’ normal life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I'm afraid people can't go back to work yet....and won't be able to for some time.
    The virus hasn't gone away...it won't be going away... once you let the general population mingle...it will surge....
    Herd immunity won't apply here as by their very nature.. Coronavirus' have a higher reinfection rate than you think ..the Chinese think covid_19 is showing rates between 5-14% ... early days for results.. so it might even out at About 8%....but that's still too high
    We're in for a long haul here... social distancing.... limited numbers shopping...this will be the norm for the rest of the year imo

Looking further out we will also need a new ‘health passport’ with an ‘approved health stamp’ in order to visit other countries and get the Airlines back in the skies. Who’s going to Spain this summer ?????

Strict controls and policing will be paramount as we flatten the curve.
    Testing must provide 100% immunity to infection.
    Protecting the most vulnerable in our society will have priority but please bear in mind, we’re only taking about a tiny number of annual deaths.

Did you know that Norway & Sweden did NOT lockdown, and have a look at their v small death rate.

Did you know that Norway & Sweden did NOT lockdown, and have a look at their v small death rate.

Yes...have a look... Sweden's death rate rose by approx 20% yesterday to over 470..... they're deep in the brown stuff now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Research is indicating that countries that had the BCG vaccine programme for TB have only 1/10th of the infection rate of those that did not have the BCG vaccine. We had it here from 1947-2015 so we all all, bar the over 75's had it. It would appear that the TB vaccine is effective in that even if you get it it will be milder. It is now being rolled out in Melbourne among Health care workers as a test and also in the Netherlands.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/confronting-coronavirus-can-the-bcg-vaccination-protect-you-from-covid-19-1.4223811
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-more-striking-evidence-bcg-vaccine-might-protect-against-covid-19-1.4222110

Earlier research from China showed that the O blood type (about half of us in Ireland) appear to deal with the virus better with a milder dose. And smoking increases your risk factor by 14 times which is thought to explain why men are dying at much greater rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Yes...have a look... Sweden's death rate rose by approx 20% yesterday to over 470..... they're deep in the brown stuff now.

Jumped to 591 now. Amadain apt username alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

kn wrote: »

Earlier research from China showed that the O blood type (about half of us in Ireland) appear to deal with the virus better with a milder dose.

I thought that was debunked as the Chinese put huge importance on blood type so possibly biased info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

That Gemma O'Doherty video is disturbing, in this day and age people like her with views like that can gain followers very quickly.

Like everyone has their own opinion which is fair enough but to say that this virus "doesn't exist" was just going too far imo

210 deaths from a virus that "doesn't exist"

I do hope Leo and the lads stick to their guns and not give into the pressure that is going to come on them to re open the country too soon,

Stick together, look out for each other and we'll all come through this.

Quackster wrote: »
    Thankfully the regulations giving the gardai the powers to enforce the 2km limit are finally being given effect from midnight tonight.

Put manners on the turds not respecting the spirit of the lockdown in good time for Easter weekend.

I wish they were in power last night when a well known former Kerry footballer was flouting social distancing rules and being part of a get together in back garden across the road from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

There's so much misinformation and speculation going on in public discussion sites, people need to be circumspect and only pay attention to actual health professionals' reports and advice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Adiboo wrote: »
    I wish they were in power last night when a well known former Kerry footballer was flouting social distancing rules and being part of a get together in back garden across the road from me.

Did you call the Gardaí? I'm sure they would still call to house parties etc!?

There's so much misinformation and speculation going on in public discussion sites, people need to be circumspect and only pay attention to actual health professionals' reports and advice.

Soooooo... you're saying 5G towers aren't causing Covid_19 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

That Gemma O'Doherty video is disturbing, in this day and age people like her with views like that can gain followers very quickly.

Like everyone has their own opinion which is fair enough but to say that this virus "doesn't exist" was just going too far imo

210 deaths from a virus that "doesn't exist"

I do hope Leo and the lads stick to their guns and not give into the pressure that is going to come on them to re open the country too soon,

Stick together, look out for each other and we'll all come through this.
    I feel sorry for her, she's obviously mentally disturbed. Best ignored.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Did you call the Gardaí? I'm sure they would still call to house parties etc!?

Yep, Garda on the phone said he would send a car up if one was available, but if they didn't want to heed their advice there was nothing they could do unfortunately.

If only the party was today...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yep, Garda on the phone said he would send a car up if one was available, but if they didn't want to heed their advice there was nothing they could do unfortunately.

If only the party was today...

I would be publicly calling them out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I thought that was debunked as the Chinese put huge importance on blood type so possibly biased info.

No. There was a question about it on the BBC one night & the expert confirmed that there appeared to be some validity to it. It was a study that was applied to both Wuhan & Shenzhen & both confirmed the numbers vis a vis O blood type in the local population. It showed that although O blood was circa 40% in the local populations the admissions were circa 30% O blood type. The best guess as to why is that O blood is missing one of the sugars on the cells that COVID viruses latch onto. Or course you would like to see some confirmation in a Western study.

Quackster wrote: »
    I would be publicly calling them out on it.

As you are a Mod, I will assume it is okay to do. It was Marc O Se.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Not surprised to hear a Footballer footballer at this .

They probably sent the other Kerry footballer Aidan O'Mahony over to slap him on the wrist . :D

Not surprised to hear a Footballer footballer at this .

They probably sent the other Kerry footballer Aidan O'Mahony over to slap him on the wrist . :D

Me either, but he's also a teacher. Thought he would have better sense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

not surprised its him, saw him driving extremely dangerously a few months ago. Small child in front seat, no seatbelt and he was using his phone, handset while chatting away and driving. Couldn't get his reg to report it, plus I was driving. So irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

not surprised its him, saw him driving extremely dangerously a few months ago. Small child in front seat, no seatbelt and he was using his phone, handset while chatting away and driving. Couldn't get his reg to report it, plus I was driving. So irresponsible.

Some of those "celebrities" think that responsible behaviour doesn't apply to them. Many of the GAA players are ok, but there is a coterie of them that thinks they can circumvent good behaviour.
    Gosh this quarantine must be getting to me. I'm ranting here.:mad:

Leaves his dog run rampant on the main road too. The dog has run over across the road to me to bark at my ankles on many occasions.

He lives next door to my aunt, so I know it's his.

Oh, he drives a sponsored car from one of the dealers around town, easy to spot if you see him do it again.

• Advertisement

Some of those "celebrities" think that responsible behaviour doesn't apply to them. Many of the GAA players are ok, but there is a coterie of them that thinks they can circumvent good behaviour.
    Gosh this quarantine must be getting to me. I'm ranting here.:mad:

It annoys me that the whole ****ing country is sacrificing, actually the majority of the world is sacrificing something right now. But it's okay for entitled people like him to think it doesn't apply to them.

Don't know who's worse, him as a guest who went to someones house, or the neighbour of mine who invited them up.

Advertisement