Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    All Dunnes outlets are closed Easter Sunday, the same as every other year. Same with Aldi and Lidl.

Tesco in Manor and SuperValu should be open though.

Will they definitely all close this year? I suppose they do need a break though, and deserve it!

Might have to rethink the shopping day and maybe do it tonight! I have a feeling Saturday will be bonkers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Will they definitely all close this year? I suppose they do need a break though, and deserve it!

Might have to rethink the shopping day and maybe do it tonight! I have a feeling Saturday will be bonkers!

If I give you a list, will you do mine as you're at it?
    #prettyplease

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

marno21 wrote: »
    Debenhams Ireland to enter liqudation with none of their stores to reopen

https://twitter.com/whytebarry/status/1248219581853978624

Big unit in Manor West empty now.

They're saying that they expect most of their Irish stores not to reopen, but that it'll be up to the liquidators if any stores can be saved. And the Irish website will remain in operation, for now anyway.

If they do feel they have a future in Ireland, then this would allow them to buy back any potentially profitable stores from the liquidators, minus the debts, staff and other commitments attached to the current Irish operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Come back Roche's Stores, all is forgiven.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just posted ahead of you! Yeah its a big loss to the centre. I don't know what would go in there now. The obvious one is M&S, but would they come to Tralee now!?

There is another big unit next to Curry's empty too. I did hear Elvery's may be going in there, but not sure how true that is.

I would be hopeful M&S would have an interest. They've been in expansive mood here in Ireland recently, although covid could obviously change that entirely.

Otherwise, unless Penneys or Sports Direct were interested in having a second store in town, the most likely outcome is subdivision of the unit I would think.

BT have taken over much of the old House of Fraser in Dundrum, and so I wouldn't be surprised if they were to take on the Debenhams unit in Mahon Point, but I can't imagine Tralee would be on their radar.

Unless the exit of Debenhams created an opportunity for them opening more Arnotts outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Store in distantly located west of Ireland town with long history of
    unemployment. Not going to be an easy sell.
    Even Penneys have put their Dundrum town centre expansion on ice, no doubt BT's will be doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Could you imagine the town if Penney's moved to Manor

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

2FM reporting that teenager stabbed in Tralee and in hospital, am I going crazy or did anyone else just hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Debenhams to close all stores in Ireland, they have gone into liquidation.

Awful news for staff, in particular the Tralee store.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/debenhams-stores-in-ireland-are-to-close-permanently-993161.html?fbclid=IwAR2unCac5bHEkD9eL3ulSnHe_HnKMGjtgfYI1Su268UyTLpnS7qMwpWD96Y

There goes my only reason to go into the building.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There goes my only reason to go into the building.

Yeah, pretty much the only reason I go in there too, which isn't that often either.

• Advertisement

Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    2FM reporting that teenager stabbed in Tralee and in hospital, am I going crazy or did anyone else just hear that?

Apparently its true! Happened in Kerins park/Caheranne area. Hopefully the victim will be ok. Hopefully the scumbag who stabbed him is kept in jail for a long time!

http://traleetoday.ie/teenager-stabbed-in-kerins-park-caheranne-area/?fbclid=IwAR3JmjT59hv4ahmGtc1Z6C4s53jQPGBUxfCt_Jwx-HYA1lZN7umIiJHV_ew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I heard lots of sirens a few hours ago, perhaps related.

Yeah ..it's true..i have the names...weird one...no Idea what happened

An increase of 3 cases of Covid-19 in Kerry. Seems to have kept low again the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Quackster wrote: »
    I would be hopeful M&S would have an interest. They've been in expansive mood here in Ireland recently, although covid could obviously change that entirely.

Otherwise, unless Penneys or Sports Direct were interested in having a second store in town, the most likely outcome is subdivision of the unit I would think.

BT have taken over much of the old House of Fraser in Dundrum, and so I wouldn't be surprised if they were to take on the Debenhams unit in Mahon Point, but I can't imagine Tralee would be on their radar.

Unless the exit of Debenhams created an opportunity for them opening more Arnotts outlets.

Tesco as the anchor would have a veto on M&S in the same building.

Could you imagine the town if Penney's moved to Manor

I was surprised to learn the effect Penney's had in driving traffic to the town centre. It's not my cup of tea but I'd imagine families make good use of it.

Apparently its true! Happened in Kerins park/Caheranne area. Hopefully the victim will be ok. Hopefully the scumbag who stabbed him is kept in jail for a long time!

http://traleetoday.ie/teenager-stabbed-in-kerins-park-caheranne-area/?fbclid=IwAR3JmjT59hv4ahmGtc1Z6C4s53jQPGBUxfCt_Jwx-HYA1lZN7umIiJHV_ew

Jaysus that must be some long knife what with social distancing and all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

kn wrote: »
    Tesco as the anchor would have a veto on M&S in the same building.

Would imagine the timeline on contract vetos has passed hence why curry’s and costa coffee have opened. Marks and Spencer’s a very likely candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

amadain wrote: »
    Kerry 117 +28
    210 Deaths +36
    5,709 Cases +345

New figures show
    Kerry 125 +5 and +3 in the last two days.
    263 Deaths with +25 and +28 in last two days incl. 214 with underlying medical conditions and a median average age of 81.
    6,574 Cases +365 and +500 today.

Most importantly, a small increase in the death rate is a slight worry and I would hope that a figure of less than 25 is reported tomorrow. Sadly, my predictions for less than 300 deaths may overshoot the runway.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Would imagine the timeline on contract vetos has passed hence why curry’s and costa coffee have opened. Marks and Spencer’s a very likely candidate.

Give it 6 months or so, and the Boyle’s Pension Fund will buy the entire Shopping Centre back again!!! (don’t laugh).

• Advertisement

kn wrote: »
    I was surprised to learn the effect Penney's had in driving traffic to the town centre. It's not my cup of tea but I'd imagine families make good use of it.

Penney's is a great shop! I must say I buy a good bit in there, especially for my little boy. They have improved their quality and style etc a lot in the last few years. I am a big fan of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Penney's is a great shop! I must say I buy a good bit in there, especially for my little boy. They have improved their quality and style etc a lot in the last few years. I am a big fan of it.

It's very, very limited for men. The men's section upstairs is tiny! Seems to cater to one style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Adiboo wrote: »
    It's very, very limited for men. The men's section upstairs is tiny! Seems to cater to one style.

That can be said of any department store.

Yes...have a look... Sweden's death rate rose by approx 20% yesterday to over 470..... they're deep in the brown stuff now.

Absolutely tiny for a country with over 10 Million people and it still has not shut down !

It did however protect it elderly and vulnerable with many worth while measures, but life has carried on as normal while the curve flattened regardless.
    Btw, 89,000 people died in Sweden last year so a figure of 500/700 deaths from too much Corona is sadly insignificant.

Adiboo wrote: »

That's probably more to do with the amount of women who buy clothes as opposed to men.

Absolutely tiny for a country with over 10 Million people and it still has not shut down !

It did however protect it elderly and vulnerable with many worth while measures, but life has carried on as normal while the curve flattened regardless.
    Btw, 89,000 people died in Sweden last year so a figure of 500/700 deaths from too much Corona is sadly insignificant.

A day or so later, it's over 800, would you ever stop shovelling that shíte and belittling these peoples deaths

A day or so later, it's over 800, would you ever stop shovelling that shíte and belittling these peoples deaths

Kindly keep it civil. TY.

Yes it is TINY for a country that did NOT lockdown! and SADLY a forecast figure of 1,200 for Sweden in the overall scheme of things is not even 5 days of normal death rate.

The main point being that they avoided lockdown of their economy (and the need to inject massive liquidity into their system) by simply implimenting the necessary and strict precautions to avoid a flood on their health system.

Note our hospitals are 'empty' apart from virus related patients. There's never been so many free beds available.

Time to RE-OPEN IRELAND (with the obvious strict precautions in place)

Have a GOOD FRIDAY.

Kindly keep it civil. TY.

Yes it is TINY for a country that did NOT lockdown! and SADLY a forecast figure of 1,200 for Sweden in the overall scheme of things is not even 5 days of normal death rate.

The main point being that they avoided lockdown of their economy (and the need to inject massive liquidity into their system) by simply implimenting the necessary and strict precautions to avoid a flood on their health system.

Note our hospitals are 'empty' apart from virus related patients. There's never been so many free beds available.

Time to RE-OPEN IRELAND (with the obvious strict precautions in place)

Have a GOOD FRIDAY.

Absolute rubbish and drivel in that post.....
    Sweden's death rate is rocketing by the day...by the months end, they will be in huge trouble.
    If you want to hold up a country as a model on how.to.deal with covid, look to New Zealand....locked down the country...stopped people coming in on flights...are now putting more measures in place.....1 recorded death from Covid fella, ....that's how it's done...not ignoring the problem and hoping it goes awaye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

An increase of 3 cases of Covid-19 in Kerry. Seems to have kept low again the last few days.

Wait for two weeks now as the Dublin crowd infest the county this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Absolute rubbish and drivel in that post.....
    Sweden's death rate is rocketing by the day...by the months end, they will be in huge trouble.
    If you want to hold up a country as a model on how.to.deal with covid, look to New Zealand....locked down the country...stopped people coming in on flights...are now putting more measures in place.....1 recorded death from Covid fella, ....that's how it's done...not ignoring the problem and hoping it goes awaye

but where will they be in six months, will a large amount of their population be immune. Where will we be ?I don't see the plan other than week by week and hope someone stumbles across a curve. Our ancestors will be paying for it. The eu is finished, I can see no possible way for it to survive, Italy were probably going to bring it down in the longterm anyway.

Advertisement