Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I'm not even sure how schools can go back without a vaccine tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

They have to keep the reproduction rate at 1 or below, which means 1 infected person will only infect 1 other. This means the amount of people with the virus stays about the same all the time. It’s apparently around that now with everything shut down although they are not saying for sure. Any change with more integration of people will drive it up surely. So it’s the classic, and sadly economically costly, catch 22.
    The amount of people going into ICU has to be kept manageable, that’s the key issue. If that gets out of hand things get messy.
    If the virus gets out of hand it will be almost impossible to reign in again like a house fire when the fire brigade get there too late.
    So, a difficult and delicate balance has to be arranged.

The pub scene was in a pretty terrible state before this, now people are going to get used to not going to the pub and arrange other things. Iv been doing things like hangout group calls at home with friends and it’s been far more fun than many a night out in town, I don’t have to drive and I can drink a few bottles with no hassle. The younger people had no interest in the pub scene anyway and the older people will probably be more wary of it now going ahead.

Also, online shopping will become a much bigger thing, kicking the already decimated high street retail section hard. Debenhams are the first of many to go, watch this space. The only shops that have a better chance of survival are businesses where you have to be physically there to avail of the service, barbers, hairdressers, makeup, food, that sort of thing. All this was already happening before the virus, but the change will accelerate now.
    Restaurants, if they open soon, will now have to have strict social distances set inside them, as will all places where people congregate. Funerals, churches, schools, hotels, all of these places are going to be very different.

Home working will become a far more usual situation when possible.

So a sea change is coming.

As an aside, as I mentioned before, suicide rates and road death numbers must be different from normal expected figures, I’d like to see how these figures are skewed too.

Also, we are including nursing home deaths here, which is about half or so of the total to date, but the UK don’t which means their actual figure must be much higher.

I personally think the government are doing the best they can in the situation they are in despite the bashing they are getting from other political parties.

Finally, if it’s on Facebook or comes in on WhatsApp it’s probably clickbait lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

With Debenhams gone..... Has Warehouse, Oasis, Topshop and the likes gone also?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Who was looking for fence paint? There are buckets of it in Homesavers, black and grey, didn't see a 'wood' colour one. Don't think it's as big as a 10lt bucket but a good big one anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

LilacNails wrote: »

They were just concession stores in Debenhams, they are not owned by Debenhams. However, all three of those stores are already in trouble. Topshop closed loads of their main stores last year. And now Warehouse & Oasis are in trouble in the UK, so that will affect Irish stores.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

phormium wrote: »
    Who was looking for fence paint? There are buckets of it in Homesavers, black and grey, didn't see a 'wood' colour one. Don't think it's as big as a 10lt bucket but a good big one anyway.

I need the brown version. I found a bucket of it in my garage which is less than half full, but its 2 years since I last used it, so not sure it will be much good, or enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    It will be a strange one this year not to have the festival on, or any festival for that matter! I heard that electric picnic were still planning to go ahead in September but that's unlikely. Its going to be the weirdest year ever!

Is the festival cancelled??? Presume u mean Rose of Tralee???

I didn’t hear it. Pity but I guess it was inevitable really!!!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The Irish operations of Warehouse and Oasis have been liquidated by their UK parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Oasis warehouse went into liquidation couple days ago

Clab mor wrote: »
    Is the festival cancelled??? Presume u mean Rose of Tralee???

I didn’t hear it. Pity but I guess it was inevitable really!!!

No confirmation of it. I was just asking did people think it would be cancelled. They did say it may happen in September, but I can't imagine they could do it at all. I just wonder when they will update. Maybe not until May when the government give an indication on whether the restrictions will be extended further

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Warehouse has gone into liquidation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

They have to keep the reproduction rate at 1 or below, which means 1 infected person will only infect 1 other. This means the amount of people with the virus stays about the same all the time. It’s apparently around that now with everything shut down although they are not saying for sure. Any change with more integration of people will drive it up surely. So it’s the classic, and sadly economically costly, catch 22.
    The amount of people going into ICU has to be kept manageable, that’s the key issue. If that gets out of hand things get messy.
    If the virus gets out of hand it will be almost impossible to reign in again like a house fire when the fire brigade get there too late.
    So, a difficult and delicate balance has to be arranged.

The pub scene was in a pretty terrible state before this, now people are going to get used to not going to the pub and arrange other things. Iv been doing things like hangout group calls at home with friends and it’s been far more fun than many a night out in town, I don’t have to drive and I can drink a few bottles with no hassle. The younger people had no interest in the pub scene anyway and the older people will probably be more wary of it now going ahead.

Also, online shopping will become a much bigger thing, kicking the already decimated high street retail section hard. Debenhams are the first of many to go, watch this space. The only shops that have a better chance of survival are businesses where you have to be physically there to avail of the service, barbers, hairdressers, makeup, food, that sort of thing. All this was already happening before the virus, but the change will accelerate now.
    Restaurants, if they open soon, will now have to have strict social distances set inside them, as will all places where people congregate. Funerals, churches, schools, hotels, all of these places are going to be very different.

Home working will become a far more usual situation when possible.

So a sea change is coming.

As an aside, as I mentioned before, suicide rates and road death numbers must be different from normal expected figures, I’d like to see how these figures are skewed too.

Also, we are including nursing home deaths here, which is about half or so of the total to date, but the UK don’t which means their actual figure must be much higher.

I personally think the government are doing the best they can in the situation they are in despite the bashing they are getting from other political parties.

Finally, if it’s on Facebook or comes in on WhatsApp it’s probably clickbait lies!

People love speculating on what the world will be like post Covid 19. Dramatic statements such as "a sea change is coming" or "the world as we know it is changed forever" are making waves, but I predict that all will eventually return to normal. The famous quote of "Plus ca change" comes to mind here ie the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Just look at the 20th century! Two world wars, a plethora of smaller wars, the global pandemic of Spanish flu and at the end of it all, life went back to normal and all moved on. And progressed to bigger and better things. It will be no different this time once the vaccine becomes freely available to all.

The "sea change" will be life in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Warehouse and Oasis went belly up yesterday I think.

No confirmation of it. I was just asking did people think it would be cancelled. They did say it may happen in September, but I can't imagine they could do it at all. I just wonder when they will update. Maybe not until May when the government give an indication on whether the restrictions will be extended further

There won't be a 'festival' as you or I know it. At best there will be some sort of makey uppey TV event and even that seems to be getting less and less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Oasis and Warehouse had liquidators appointed in the High Court yesterday, nothing to do with Debenhams, UK business in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

acequion wrote: »
    People love speculating on what the world will be like post Covid 19. Dramatic statements such as "a sea change is coming" or "the world as we know it is changed forever" are making waves, but I predict that all will eventually return to normal. The famous quote of "Plus ca change" comes to mind here ie the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Just look at the 20th century! Two world wars, a plethora of smaller wars, the global pandemic of Spanish flu and at the end of it all, life went back to normal and all moved on. And progressed to bigger and better things. It will be no different this time once the vaccine becomes freely available to all.

The "sea change" will be life in the meantime.

Nothing went back to normal after two World Wars, especially for "old" empires, which fell apart, and once powerful countries lost their positions in the World. As a result of WW2, the US became "the" world power, and the Dollar became the world trading currency.

Even with the Spanish Flu, nothing went back to normal, not for the families of the millions who died from it, and the countries in which they lived.

This time around, taking Ireland for example, a lot of "one off" shops won't survive, especially if they're full of seasonal stock that no one will want to buy when they open up again. A lot of pubs, cafes, and restaurants etc will also disappear, all over the country.

In all cases "new normal" is the normal, because no one knows what the World would have been like had all the "events" not taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

What happened to the policy of confining all Covid discussions to the Covid thread?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

newman10 wrote: »
    Oasis and Warehouse had liquidators appointed in the High Court yesterday, nothing to do with Debenhams, UK business in trouble

Would anybody else like to point out that Oasis and Warehouse have been liquidated while we're at it..?!?! :D

JonathonS wrote: »
    What happened to the policy of confining all Covid discussions to the Covid thread?

Preferably yes people should keep Covid19 posts to the new thread, especially If its statistics, numbers, cases etc. General chat about it relating to Tralee, eg. the festival etc, can stay here.[

Quackster wrote: »
    Would anybody else like to point out that Oasis and Warehouse have been liquidated while we're at it..?!?! :D

Tralee do you know springs to mind! :D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Tralee do you know springs to mind! :D:rolleyes:

Is that still going??

cms88 wrote: »
    Is that still going??

It sure is!

It sure is!

I'd to leave it. Got sick of seeing the same queations asked over and over again

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

cms88 wrote:
    I'd to leave it. Got sick of seeing the same queations asked over and over again

But how will you know when Penny's is open hun .

But how will you know when Penny's is open hun .

Actually my main issue is finding where to get a cake. No one on it would ever say of anywhere

I keep picking up bans from the place...I feel like an auld Burlington factory worker... 1 week on, 1 week off
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I keep picking up bans from the place...I feel like an auld Burlington factory worker... 1 week on, 1 week off
    :)

Showing your age Panda!

Was at the kiddies Christmas party, one year.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Showing your age Panda!

I was Santa, you probably sat on my lap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Showing your age Panda!

I remember going to them in early 80s as a child as my uncle worked there. I just couldn't believe that there was a place where you could eat endless sweets, crisps, cakes and fizzy drinks...it was like Willy Wonkas chocolate factory to me!

Advertisement