Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Typical with the weather. I thought it was mint to be nice this weekend too!

I ended up not being able to go to anything this weekend. Hospital last night overnight & now at home with bed rest. Oh well! thankfully everything ok, just being cautious! If weather was nice I'd be going mad!

mind yourself , last 2 weeks should fly by what with all the prep work, .... looking forward to the dsy we see the handle Ciarrai16 on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

We called in to the park around 4.30 and it was more or less dry at that time.
    Nice enough atmosphere down there. :)
    Best of luck Ciarrai76!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Troberto

God this thread has got soooo boring. Can we liven it up or is there that little happening in Tralee these days ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Troberto wrote: »
    God this thread has got soooo boring. Can we liven it up or is there that little happening in Tralee these days ??

excuse us for being so boring! What you have to add to the thread that is so exciting?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

We called in to the park around 4.30 and it was more or less dry at that time.
    Nice enough atmosphere down there. :)
    Best of luck Ciarrai76!

The park looked like it was lovely for families. Plenty to offer from what I could see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

The park looked like it was lovely for families. Plenty to offer from what I could see.
    A nicer atmosphere than the festival tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

They started putting the billboards up in the mall & Denny street Friday afternoon when I was in town! Bit on the late side! I saw no posters up anywhere, apart from a few leaflets in Costa. I had hear about it as I saw it here & Facebook, but a lot of people who are facebook users & live locally said they heard very last minute about it. Obviously not everyone will hear about it, and there's only so much advertising you can do.

My business got 1 leaflet of the event through the the post, but none dropped in for customers nor any posters.

the bill boards are essentially to inform people of the timetable of events over the weekend!!! I'd imagine times and events can be sketchy right up to the event which is why they go out last minute?!?

Personally I've seen or heard it advertised a minimum of two weeks prior to this weekend!!!

They even had the medieval reenactors on radio Kerry on Friday!!!

I picked up my flyer in the tourist kiosk..... Plenty of them there!!!! I also collected extra for my place of work as I thought it would be good to help spread the word.

Tralee people will never change ...... There happier finding faults to moan about than encouraging what was a fantastic weekend for our town ..... (I'm born and bred in Tralee btw)

I attended the weekend and thought it was fantastic. I also attended the medieval banquet Saturday night and it was fantastic. A great nights entertainment, food and wine all for 10 quid.

Clab mor wrote: »
    the bill boards are essentially to inform people of the timetable of events over the weekend!!! I'd imagine times and events can be sketchy right up to the event which is why they go out last minute?!?

Personally I've seen or heard it advertised a minimum of two weeks prior to this weekend!!!

They even had the medieval reenactors on radio Kerry on Friday!!!

I picked up my flyer in the tourist kiosk..... Plenty of them there!!!! I also collected extra for my place of work as I thought it would be good to help spread the word.

Tralee people will never change ...... There happier finding faults to moan about than encouraging what was a fantastic weekend for our town ..... (I'm born and bred in Tralee btw)

I attended the weekend and thought it was fantastic. I also attended the medieval banquet Saturday night and it was fantastic. A great nights entertainment, food and wine all for 10 quid.

Glad you enjoyed it!!!

The Omniplex cinema in Tralee are doing a special offer of €5 per show for this week only. From Monday 20th June until Thursday 23rd June.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

kn wrote: »
    Went to see the Delorentos in the Square last night. Very good band but a really poor crowd in fairness - probably no more than 300. Free concert with a well known band and they couldn't even get a crowd!!

Went down to see Chapter 2 before them with a few friends, saw them once in a pub and they were fair good. Couldn't have been more than 50 watching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

The Omniplex cinema in Tralee are doing a special offer of €5 per show for this week only. From Monday 20th June until Thursday 23rd June.

Thanks for posting, The wife wanted to go and see the Conjuring 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Clab mor wrote: »

That was good value alright. The Burger, wine, etc would have cost you a lot more than a tenner downtown alone. Fair play to Pat McCarthy getting into the spirit of it, the Mayor of Tralee on the other hand.....

pcuser wrote: »
    Thanks for posting, The wife wanted to go and see the Conjuring 2

Yikes!! Not a hope would I be able for that one! Lol enjoy! :eek:

No wonder its a fiver this week - outside of the Conjuring the selection is really poor.

Has anyone noticed a truck parked just inside entrance of the county buildings in Rathass? It has a message on it saying something about wanting their roof back regarding a building in Killarney. I can't ever get the chance to read it properly while in car. Does anyone know what it's about?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Something about the council owing them money for a roof they fitted to a leisure center in Killarney.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/campaign-over-ownership-of-roofs-for-kerry-count-centre-to-be-taken-to-killarney/

Something about the council owing them money for a roof they fitted to a leisure center in Killarney.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/campaign-over-ownership-of-roofs-for-kerry-count-centre-to-be-taken-to-killarney/

Ah I see, interesting! I'm surprised the council have allowed them to park it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Ah I see, interesting! I'm surprised the council have allowed them to park it there!

It's in the church car park.
    I think what happened is the council had a contractor build the leisure centre, the roof was subbed out to this crowd who haven't got paid by the contractor and now they are after the council for money.
    They will have long wait as council have paid their bills and contractor I assume is gone bust.

Same thing happened them in Kerry technology park.
    They had a truck parked there for a while too with something similar on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Yikes!! Not a hope would I be able for that one! Lol enjoy! :eek:

Might bring ciarrai junior along a bit quicker :)

Even more reason why I don't want to go see it! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

g1983d wrote: »
    It's in the church car park.
    I think what happened is the council had a contractor build the leisure centre, the roof was subbed out to this crowd who haven't got paid by the contractor and now they are after the council for money.
    They will have long wait as council have paid their bills and contractor I assume is gone bust.

Same thing happened them in Kerry technology park.
    They had a truck parked there for a while too with something similar on it

Funny, I noticed that sign last week too driving by quickly and wondered did I misinterpret it. If the council have already paid the contractor then they (and you and I, the tax/ratepayer) have done their bit and it's between the contractor and subcontractor. I understand the roofing crowd's dilemma but it's not fair to expect a client to have to double pay for a service just because the middle man f**d up with the payment they already received from the council. The contractor should be pursued through whatever legal avenues are available. I think the blame is being unfairly apportioned.

If you bought a 2016 Volkswagen Passat for €25K from a local dealer who went bust and they failed to pay VW Ireland the necessary proceeds for providing the car, should you pay for the car a second time because the dealer has gone bust and the distributor is chasing for it's money?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

ongarboy wrote: »
    Funny, I noticed that sign last week too driving by quickly and wondered did I misinterpret it. If the council have already paid the contractor then they (and you and I, the tax/ratepayer) have done their bit and it's between the contractor and subcontractor. I understand the roofing crowd's dilemma but it's not fair to expect a client to have to double pay for a service just because the middle man f**d up with the payment they already received from the council. The contractor should be pursued through whatever legal avenues are available. I think the blame is being unfairly apportioned.

If you bought a 2016 Volkswagen Passat for €25K from a local dealer who went bust and they failed to pay VW Ireland the necessary proceeds for providing the car, should you pay for the car a second time because the dealer has gone bust and the distributor is chasing for it's money?

The problem arose whereby state agencies such as county councils, Dept of Education and so on awarded contracts to contractors without doing the relevant "due diligence" on the contractor.

In numerous incidents, state contracts were awarded to companies who were in deep financial mire. Contractors got the job by under-cutting on price and used the payments to plug other holes, pay for other debts etc. Unfortunately the person who paid was the subcontractor - the roofer, the glazing supplier/installer, the plumbing contractors etc.

While ultimately the issue lies between the contractor and sub-contractor, the state should have been more responsible as to how they handed out contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

That looks to be the same sign that was parked in the car park of Killarney Leisure Centre in the Spring around the time of the election count.

Even more reason why I don't want to go see it! Lol

Went to see it on a date there last week. Has two good scary scenes and the rest of the movie is cheap jumpscares. Can't understand how it's getting such good reviews.

Presumably to be Christened Ciarrai16! :p

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kn wrote: »
    No wonder its a fiver this week - outside of the Conjuring the selection is really poor.

We have the worst cinema in the county in terms of selection, which is rather ironic considering it's the cinema with the most screens.

Turgid one-dimensional Hollywood ****e. I regularly go to the cinemas in Listowel or Killarney to see something interesting that's not showing in Tralee.

For example, a very good film out at the moment, Love & Friendship (which was filmed in Ireland) is showing in Killarney but not in Tralee while we get the most risable crap that is Gods of Egypt!

So off I go to spend my few Euro in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think Tralee was in some dispute with a movie distributor and doesn't show their films. I'd agree though, usually they are hogging 2 or 3 screens when a blockbuster comes out with 3D versions etc. Supply and demand I guess.

I'm a big fan of the Warcraft series, went to see the movie when it premiered. First day, only one screening of it there was! A 9PM showing. Weird because then there was a few more screenings the next week. Just couldn't fathom how a movie like that only had one showing while bloody Alice Through the Looking Glass had five.

Also, I wouldn't mind if the cinema had one of the ushers come into the place just before hand or at little intervals. We had some travellers during the showing of Warcraft who's kid was climbing all over the seats and running amok.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The_Mac wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the Warcraft series, went to see the movie when it premiered. First day, only one screening of it there was! A 9PM showing. Weird because then there was a few more screenings the next week. Just couldn't fathom how a movie like that only had one showing while bloody Alice Through the Looking Glass had five.

Because they're bloody cheapskates! The film distributors are paid a percentage of the ticket takings by the cinemas. The percentage is at its highest when each film premieres and then decreases as the weeks go by.

So a cheapskate cinema will profit by having more screenings in the second and subsequent weeks of a film's release than in the film's initial week of release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It might have been a preview viewing, they often show a film on a Thursday night but it won't be shown fully till the next week, I've never noticed the cinema in Tralee to just do a single showing the week a major films comes out.

Advertisement