Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Ah yes but that's essential shopping! :) If one was sticking to the guidelines religiously you couldn't consider a few plants essential. Now I have just been for exercise outside my 2km because that gets you nowhere except around a few busy streets so I'm not preaching but the whole interpretation of 'essential' is flawed.

Takeaways apparently come under essential as do off licences which I don't understand but a few plants or a pot of paint to stop us going dolally from looking at the four walls is non essential!

I'm on a few FB pages related to business and they'd cut the legs from under you if you suggested going somewhere for a few plants but they are happy out downing glasses of wine every night to help them cope but God forbid one didn't want the wine but wanted a geranium to help you cope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

phormium wrote: »
    Ah yes but that's essential shopping! :) If one was sticking to the guidelines religiously you couldn't consider a few plants essential. Now I have just been for exercise outside my 2km because that gets you nowhere except around a few busy streets so I'm not preaching but the whole interpretation of 'essential' is flawed.

Takeaways apparently come under essential as do off licences which I don't understand but a few plants or a pot of paint to stop us going dolally from looking at the four walls is non essential!

I'm on a few FB pages related to business and they'd cut the legs from under you if you suggested going somewhere for a few plants but they are happy out downing glasses of wine every night to help them cope but God forbid one didn't want the wine but wanted a geranium to help you cope :)

Thanks guys for the replies and so true phormium re the geranium versus the wine, lol. Tho an aul drop of wine helps as well.:pac:

Great help there re the Spar in Caherslee and re Shanahans. I was so virtuous over Easter tidying up the garden that all it needs now is the bit of colour and thank heaven for this beautiful weather! Nothing like sunshine and flowers for the mental health imo.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was talking to Brian in Shanahans this week. They are about 2 days behind in, dealing with orders.
    Best to text or email your order.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

acequion wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the replies and so true phormium re the geranium versus the wine, lol. Tho an aul drop of wine helps as well.:pac:

Great help there re the Spar in Caherslee and re Shanahans. I was so virtuous over Easter tidying up the garden that all it needs now is the bit of colour and thank heaven for this beautiful weather! Nothing like sunshine and flowers for the mental health imo.:)

Just on those flowers, are they ok to put outside in pots now? Are the nights not a bit cold for them at the moment or will they be ok? I actually planted wild flowers last spring/summer, and put some into pots and they have re-grown a lot the last couple of weeks. The beds not so much. I need to do a bit more planting in our garden as we don't have much in the way of flowers, a lot of green! We chopped own a big overgrown bush that was an eyesore for too long! I now need to get someone to get rid of the stump and somehow level out the area we cleared. As well as take away a lot of garden rubbish! Hopefully we can get that done in a few weeks if they lift some restrictions.
    I'm not very good at gardening, but would love someone to come in and do some proper planting for me and build some bedding around the edges.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I noticed Pat McDonald Paints have had to close their phone lines for a few days as they need to get on top of the orders they have! I saw a few complaints on their comments saying the wrong paint was delivered and they couldn't even get back in touch to tell them!

I didn't get any fence paint yet, but a neighbour told me they got some in Boyles up in Clash. I had totally forgotten they were up there! Must give them a buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had a look at the ballyseedy plants in corrib.
    A tray of bedding plants 4.50. I nearly choked. 2.49 in Lidl. 3 for €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Just checked my docket from Shanahans delivery yesterday, tray of lobelia bedding 2.95, normal enough price, not sure if they have a special offer on more than one as I only got one.

kn wrote: »

The clip of them dancing in Blennerville was shown on the James Cordon show in the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 59,608 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Here's the clip of above from the James Corden show:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

The amount of people around town yesterday was crazy. Old, young, parents with kids etc couples in the likes of Dunnes. Not a gurad to be seen anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ever since the Keelings story there has been a change. People, understandably, are asking themselves why should they be adhering to the 2km limit and only for shopping or exercise when they are seeing people flying in without as much as a bye or leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Ever since the Keelings story there has been a change. People, understandably, are asking themselves why should they be adhering to the 2km limit and only for shopping or exercise when they are seeing people flying in without as much as a bye or leave.

Well it's like this. The Agricultural industry is essential for us to survive. We need vegetables and fruits to keep us healthy and strong during this unprecedented virus pandemic.

We do not have enough of our own people who are willing to do that work, and the industry is engaging people with good skills from other European countries who are willing to do so.

I'm sure that protective measures will be in place to keep any chance of infections blocked.

Without those people who are coming to help us, when we get to shopping there may not be enough food or produce for us to buy.
    Exercising would then be not be viable without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I noticed Pat McDonald Paints have had to close their phone lines for a few days as they need to get on top of the orders they have! I saw a few complaints on their comments saying the wrong paint was delivered and they couldn't even get back in touch to tell them!

I didn't get any fence paint yet, but a neighbour told me they got some in Boyles up in Clash. I had totally forgotten they were up there! Must give them a buzz.

Very hard to get Ronseal fencelife ... no deliveries have arrived into Boyles yet ... theres cuprol alright... more expensive but better than that cheap watery ****....

What we did in the snapper house was use left over weathershield on shed and fence and ot looks awesome.... same colour fence and shed as house ....

Our neighbor was so impressed she did same to....

A lot of the people who were complaing about that saying ''we can't leave out house'' etc were never following thr gidelines anyway. Seen plenty of people i know like this.

As has already been pointed out if people are really that worried about it they can apply for the jobs themselves.

Very hard to get Ronseal fencelife ... no deliveries have arrived into Boyles yet ... theres cuprol alright... more expensive but better than that cheap watery ****....

What we did in the snapper house was use left over weathershield on shed and fence and ot looks awesome.... same colour fence and shed as house ....

Our neighbor was so impressed she did same to....

I actually prefer the Cuprinol one to ronseal. I got that one a few years ago, and forgot I had on the last time I did. I must ring them to order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Troberto

Whatever about the idiots who won’t stay at home and think the problem is over, whilst I agree people are getting frustrated and feeling cooped up, I’m not sure the Keeling “non story” can be considered to blame. It is a fact that most Irish people will not carry out the vital work that is crop harvesting. In fact, several EU members were looking for exemptions for travel for these essential workers. The alternative is that the crop would be left to rot in the ground. Furthermore, Keelings did EVERYTHING right and in accordance with the best practices issued . Attached article is a worthwhile factual based read.
    https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/government-has-failed-keelings-and-its-workers-1.4236276?mode=amp.
    Well it's like this. The Agricultural industry is essential for us to survive. We need vegetables and fruits to keep us healthy and strong during this unprecedented virus pandemic.

We do not have enough of our own people who are willing to do that work, and the industry is engaging people with good skills from other European countries who are willing to do so.

I'm sure that protective measures will be in place to keep any chance of infections blocked.

Without those people who are coming to help us, when we get to shopping there may not be enough food or produce for us to buy.
    Exercising would then be not be viable without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Troberto

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/by-your-leave
    They had permission, granted by the EU, of which we are a member state.
    They had permission because they are essential workers, providing food for the rest of us who don’t want to get our hands dirty picking fruit.
    All we are asked to do is stay at home to protect everyone and we’re even allowed to travel to buy the strawberries they pick and put on our local shops shelves for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

I just saw on Facebook that the Ugly Mug is reopening tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

I just saw on Facebook that the Ugly Mug is reopening tomorrow.

Small note - Its takeout only and 1 person allowed in at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

user52873 wrote: »
    Small note - Its takeout only and 1 person allowed in at a time.

Its only giving people an excuse to leave the house. Going for a coffee is not an essential trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

It's official - the festival is off for this year. No looking to hold it later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

It's official - the festival is off for this year. No looking to hold it later in the year.

Yeah, think a few people had to have a word in O'Gara's ear about this.
    It was a non runner from the start and thankfully nobody's health is being put at risk now.

Yeah, think a few people had to have a word in O'Gara's ear about this.
    It was a non runner from the start and thankfully nobody's health is being put at risk now.

I'm surprised he still called it off tbh

Its only giving people an excuse to leave the house. Going for a coffee is not an essential trip.

Its more than likely selling food to take away too, so no different to other food outlets which are allowed to do take-away. He's probably been trying to find a way to do it. There's takeaway coffee for sale in many shops too, even around the corner in Daybreak. My husband works in town, so he, and the guys he works with be glad to be able to get coffee and food from there for their breaks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Personally I think it's folly...it's definitely not essential...and there's no way he will turn a profit while doing this...
    he might be doing it to get a break from his missus Ciarrai..... :D

Personally I think it's folly...it's definitely not essential...and there's no way he will turn a profit while doing this...
    he might be doing it to get a break from his missus Ciarrai..... :D

Maybe he is, he also has 2 small kids at home, so I don't blame him for needing a break! :D I am delighted to go into work when I can!

Madden’s are opening now too. The floodgates are opening. Guaranteed more will reopen now. Foolish.

Madden’s are opening now too. The floodgates are opening. Guaranteed more will reopen now. Foolish.

They've been open all along afaik doing take away.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, it's a bit foolish to be jumping the guns but you can't entirely blame people for lockdown fatigue setting in after more than a month of it. Especially as we may require several more lockdowns over the next twelve months, the present one shouldn't last one day more than necessary.

There is an argument to be made too for easing the infection rate up to 20-30% over the next few months or we could be facing an absolute catastrophy come next winter's flu season.

In any case, if the national lockdown is extended for several more weeks because of an outbreak that's been largely confined to the Dublin region, there will be absolute canaries! There have already been rumblings to that effect from some local politicians.

• Advertisement

cms88 wrote: »
    They've been open all along afaik doing take away.

I wouldn’t know for certain as I’ve been at home. I’m just going by their Facebook pages.

Advertisement