Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

cms88 wrote: »
    They've been open all along afaik doing take away.

I think Maddens were doing coffee deliveries to frontline staff, including gardai, as a part of some national initiative. But I'm not sure they were actually open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Quackster wrote: »

In any case, if the national lockdown is extended for several more weeks because of an outbreak that's been largely confined to the Dublin region, there will be absolute canaries! There have already been rumblings to that effect from some local politicians.

Ah listen I got absolutely ate for suggesting on another forum that maybe there should be stricter restrictions for Dublin area (and possibly Cork but I didn't look at that in too much detail) based on Dublin having many multiples of the rate of confirmed cases in comparison to most counties. It was taken as a total city v country thing when really it is higher density built up area v lower density, seems a bit logical to me that it spread easier where you have a higher concentration of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

phormium wrote: »
    Ah listen I got absolutely ate for suggesting on another forum that maybe there should be stricter restrictions for Dublin area (and possibly Cork but I didn't look at that in too much detail) based on Dublin having many multiples of the rate of confirmed cases in comparison to most counties. It was taken as a total city v country thing when really it is higher density built up area v lower density, seems a bit logical to me that it spread easier where you have a higher concentration of people.
    That's grand in theory but in practice if you said relax retrictions in Kerry but maintain in Limerick then the beaches etc here would be flooded with Limerick people and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

kn wrote: »
    It's official - the festival is off for this year. No looking to hold it later in the year.

Without a doubt the correct move and I guess puck will follow suit.

A lot of local suppliers and business further effected by this.

It’s gona be a tough 12 months for the small businesses of Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Clab mor wrote: »
    Without a doubt the correct move and I guess puck will follow suit.

A lot of local suppliers and business further effected by this.

It’s gona be a tough 12 months for the small businesses of Tralee.

It's gonna be a tough 12 months for everyone in the world.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

It's gonna be a tough 12 months for everyone in the world.

It’s often been said that the pubs and businesses in Killorglin always needed a good puck fair to do them till the Xmas trade. I’m sure this is the same all around several other small towns. We’re in for a very bumpy ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

adam88 wrote: »
    It’s often been said that the pubs and businesses in Killorglin always needed a good puck fair to do them till the Xmas trade. I’m sure this is the same all around several other small towns. We’re in for a very bumpy ride

The chances of pub's opening between Puck and Xmas are genuinely slim enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

The chances of pub's opening between Puck and Xmas are genuinely slim enough

Pubs are to open in Italy, the most severely hit country in Europe, on June 1 so there's no reason to believe pubs won't be open here (in some restricted fashion) during the summer.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Speaking about the Rose of Tralee, what is it about it that causes people to not be able to count?

In last year's coverage, it was consistently referred to as the 60th Rose of Tralee when it was in fact the 61st. It started in 1959 so while last year was the 60th anniversary, it was the 61st staging of the event.

At least with this year's event cancelled, the 62nd staging will coincide with the 62nd anniversary so hopefully it will make things a bit easier for the mathematically challenged..!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Has anyone tried the pizzas from Mizzonis yet? How are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Adiboo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the pizzas from Mizzonis yet? How are they?

Yeah, I've tried them lots of times before.

They are very nice, have you ever tried a pizza from anywhere else?

If you haven't Mizzonis will probably blow your mind.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Yeah, I've tried them lots of times before.

They are very nice, have you ever tried a pizza from anywhere else?

If you haven't Mizzonis will probably blow your mind.

Had Mizzonis years back in Dublin, hope the Tralee branch will live up to it. We are thinking we will get the "wagon" tomorrow evening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Had Mizzonis years back in Dublin, hope the Tralee branch will live up to it. We are thinking we will get the "wagon" tomorrow evening.

I haven't had it in Tralee yet. I used to go to Mizzonis in Dublin when I lived there, but that was years ago! Must try them out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I haven't had it in Tralee yet. I used to go to Mizzonis in Dublin when I lived there, but that was years ago! Must try them out though.
    If they guys do their pizzas as good as the rest of teir food, no one will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

We got the Wagon last week, I’d highly recommend. Their garlic bread and chips were delicious too!

If they guys do their pizzas as good as the rest of teir food, no one will be disappointed.

Never gotten anything in there, but the smell when walking past would make you hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Quackster wrote: »
    Speaking about the Rose of Tralee, what is it about it that causes people to not be able to count?

In last year's coverage, it was consistently referred to as the 60th Rose of Tralee when it was in fact the 61st. It started in 1959 so while last year was the 60th anniversary, it was the 61st staging of the event.

At least with this year's event cancelled, the 62nd staging will coincide with the 62nd anniversary so hopefully it will make things a bit easier for the mathematically challenged..!! :rolleyes:

It a bit like people celebrating the new century or millennium in 2000 when technically it started in 2001!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Never gotten anything in there, but the smell when walking past would make you hungry!

I second that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

https://www.radiokerry.ie/kerry-economy-set-lose-e10-million-due-cancellation-rose-tralee-festival/

10 million euro loss to the town. The negativity from some on Twitter and Facebook delighted at the fact it’s been cancelled is appalling.

The 10 million figure I suspect is a direct revenue loss but I’d imagine there is a lot more in terms of suppliers, and people earning extra etc with overtime and short term jobs. The loss of jobs alone from this is certainly no laughing matter.

Locals and some businesses have been quite critical of the festival over the years. Perhaps a year out might make people realise the how lucky we are to have a festival as large and exposed as the rose of tralee.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder!!!!

O'Mahony's bakery in Boherbee have announced they are open for business from next Tuesday

• Advertisement

O'Mahony's bakery in Boherbee have announced they are open for business from next Tuesday

We were only just talking about them tonight as I went to Garvey's to get a birthday cake and I said it was a pity they weren't open.

I think we will start to slowly see some shops reopen in the coming weeks. People are putting plans in place for being able to do business again. A few businesses have set up websites, including Effigy and Rockalilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We were only just talking about them tonight as I went to Garvey's to get a birthday cake and I said it was a pity they weren't open.

I think we will start to slowly see some shops reopen in the coming weeks. People are putting plans in place for being able to do business again. A few businesses have set up websites, including Effigy and Rockalilly.

Any barbers opening?

Any barbers opening?

Google's your friend there

And if Tony Holohan recommends no ease of the current lockdown rules..do shops just go..."yerra.. we'll open anyways"...can't see the gardai being too impressed about people travelling more than 2km for a donut.
    I'd hate for the last 5-6 weeks of good work to be undone inside a week if this is a trend amongst shops

Well I suppose you could collect a donut on your way to or from the supermarket doing the main shopping, I'd imagine most trips there even in normal times would be as part of a shopping trip. I don't think I have ever gone into town just to get a few buns but I've often stopped there while passing

It's a bit of a catch 22 for everyone, these are all food outlets mentioned and they are allowed trade I presume being food so they must either come out and say only big name supermarkets etc can trade or accept that there will be more traffic due to people using these places that are reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Well I suppose you could collect a donut on your way to or from the supermarket doing the main shopping, I'd imagine most trips there even in normal times would be as part of a shopping trip. I don't think I have ever gone into town just to get a few buns but I've often stopped there while passing

It's a bit of a catch 22 for everyone, these are all food outlets mentioned and they are allowed trade I presume being food so they must either come out and say only big name supermarkets etc can trade or accept that there will be more traffic due to people using these places that are reopening.

Dunnes and Tesco selling clothes as the others are all closed

Funny enough I have heard that some Dunnes and Tesco outlets had their clothes section taped off initially especially in some of the bigger Dublin stores but it seems that disappeared at some stage too. Must have been a different memo day one to managers!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

https://www.radiokerry.ie/kerry-economy-set-lose-e10-million-due-cancellation-rose-tralee-festival/

10 million euro loss to the town. The negativity from some on Twitter and Facebook delighted at the fact it’s been cancelled is appalling.

The 10 million figure I suspect is a direct revenue loss but I’d imagine there is a lot more in terms of suppliers, and people earning extra etc with overtime and short term jobs. The loss of jobs alone from this is certainly no laughing matter.

Locals and some businesses have been quite critical of the festival over the years. Perhaps a year out might make people realise the how lucky we are to have a festival as large and exposed as the rose of tralee.

While we all ponder that, perhaps the organisers might realise the way they have treated some of the women in the past with turfing them out of their hotels rooms in the early hours of the morning is pretty appalling.

Also, since the money they'll have for budgeting saved by skipping a year, d'you reckon we'll actually get a good act down for once, or will it just be more fellas who came 3rd place in the X Factor, or the likes of washed-up acts like Aslan? Even getting someone who'd be considered able to play for the INEC who's name is not Nathan Carter would be good.

I think the people are starting to forget the shítshow see are in...a few donuts aren't essential...and from what the papers are saying this morning, it seems to lockdown will be extended by 2 weeks...not sure what powers the gardai have in closing businesses... but it's going to be interesting to see what happens next week... because if a few more small businesses open...we can all go back to work and sod the regulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

IMO that's justified. I know of businesses who wanted to set up on the Mall/Denny Street and were told they already had someone who would have been from outside of Kerry! So i can see why some are. Also every year they complain about local businesses not supporing it yet they don't suppost the businesses!

Advertisement