Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

phormium wrote: »
    Funny enough I have heard that some Dunnes and Tesco outlets had their clothes section taped off initially especially in some of the bigger Dublin stores but it seems that disappeared at some stage too. Must have been a different memo day one to managers!

You can be sure Dunnes wont miss out on a opp like that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Any barbers opening?

Very unlikely any hairdresser or barbers will be open for another while. I know they are putting plans in place for reopening, such as Perspex screens and PPE equipment and sanitisation training, but they won't be opening next week for sure. Who know when

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The_Mac wrote: »
    While we all ponder that, perhaps the organisers might realise the way they have treated some of the women in the past with turfing them out of their hotels rooms in the early hours of the morning is pretty appalling.

Also, since the money they'll have for budgeting saved by skipping a year, d'you reckon we'll actually get a good act down for once, or will it just be more fellas who came 3rd place in the X Factor, or the likes of washed-up acts like Aslan? Even getting someone who'd be considered able to play for the INEC who's name is not Nathan Carter would be good.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Aslan! They are great live. Last year was the first year the played the festival in a long time. I didn't get to go down, but I could hear them from where I live. I did get to see the Hothouse Flowers and they were excellent. Last year's lineup was pretty good. It would be good to have a few more like that. But the xfactor ones are there for the younger generation. Not all the acts are going to be to everyones taste.

I think the people are starting to forget the shítshow see are in...a few donuts aren't essential...and from what the papers are saying this morning, it seems to lockdown will be extended by 2 weeks...not sure what powers the gardai have in closing businesses... but it's going to be interesting to see what happens next week... because if a few more small businesses open...we can all go back to work and sod the regulations

I suppose up to now, some businesses were putting the wheels in motion to be able to reopen after the 5th. But now that there is a strong likelihood of the restrictions being extended again, they won't be able to. Its getting very hard for everyone now. The closer to the summer it gets, the more worrying it is getting for businesses.

It will be a strange summer with pubs closed! And with no tourists around. We will all be glad when this year is over. And usually I am not one for wishing time away, but this year I am!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I think the people are starting to forget the shítshow see are in...a few donuts aren't essential...and from what the papers are saying this morning, it seems to lockdown will be extended by 2 weeks...not sure what powers the gardai have in closing businesses... but it's going to be interesting to see what happens next week... because if a few more small businesses open...we can all go back to work and sod the regulations

Despite the fact that the virus has been suppressed here, they're proposing extending the national lockdown because Dublin and some other parts are still riddled with disease.

With that kind of over-cautious approach, they're really threatening to lose the widespread support of the people and will make implementing subsequent lockdowns if/when necessary much more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Quackster wrote: »
    Despite the fact that the virus has been suppressed here, they're proposing extending the national lockdown because Dublin and some other parts are still riddled with disease.

With that kind of over-cautious approach, they're really threatening to lose the widespread support of the people and will make implementing subsequent lockdowns if/when necessary much more difficult.

Do you really want all those diseased corkonians coming over the border to infect us? :)

Do you really want all those diseased corkonians coming over the border to infect us? :)

No reason why the 2km limit couldn't be increased to 10km or 20km.

I expect we'll see widespread disregard for the regulations in the coming days as the government starts to lose the support of a significant proportion of the population - especially as we watch much of the rest of Europe, including countries much worse affected than us, progressively reopen.

I personally am really mentally struggling now and think I've no option but to start taking a much laxer attitude from next Tuesday to keep myself sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

It's a national issue..once you open up the country and travel begins..the disease spreads....the June bank holiday could be horrific for contagious contact..
    Just look at Germany...large population... brilliant hospitals...had the numbers suppressed...opened up the country..and bang..numbers shooting up again inside 2 weeks .. transmission rate at the 1.0 figure according to some reports... lockdown imminent again
    Personally I think we have another 5 - 6 weeks lockdown ahead of us... with only slight concessions...
    Construction... hardware...cafes for takeaway only.
    Harvey Norman...TK Maxx etc..not until after that time
    Pubs, hairdressers, restaurants...not anytime before the end of August.

The government has been damn good imo... but now they need to get tough and just come out and tell people the likely reality.... otherwise people are walking around thinking they can nearly go about their lives from Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

The_Mac wrote: »
    While we all ponder that, perhaps the organisers might realise the way they have treated some of the women in the past with turfing them out of their hotels rooms in the early hours of the morning is pretty appalling.

Also, since the money they'll have for budgeting saved by skipping a year, d'you reckon we'll actually get a good act down for once, or will it just be more fellas who came 3rd place in the X Factor, or the likes of washed-up acts like Aslan? Even getting someone who'd be considered able to play for the INEC who's name is not Nathan Carter would be good.

I find that hard to believe to be honest. Certainly in the more recent set up since O Gara took over it seems unlikely any roses would be turfed out as you call it. It doesn’t seem in keeping with what Anthony O Gara has been trying to build from listening to him.

I can’t see there being any extra money next year? I’d imagine the festival is a year to year thing in terms of cash flow. No sponsorship or events this year so no money I’d say it’s a start fresh every year type thing.

I thought the line up of acts over the last few years was pretty good. Aslan was very good last year. The high kings were good too another year. That’s about all your going to get for a free concert I guess. It grand to have someone who would be considered INEC worthy but it’s on average 40-60 euro to see that act where your getting tralee gig for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

cms88 wrote: »
    IMO that's justified. I know of businesses who wanted to set up on the Mall/Denny Street and were told they already had someone who would have been from outside of Kerry! So i can see why some are. Also every year they complain about local businesses not supporing it yet they don't suppost the businesses!

I know for a fact cause I checked last year (I was curious of cost) there’s actually an application process for street traders each year open to all locals and non locals. Money for a pitch goes directly back into the festival so I can’t imaging anyone being turned down who’s willing to pay the money for a pitch???? I remember when I checked that the rates were decent enough nothing outrageous??

Out of interest how would you see as a way the festival should be supporting local business?????? You obviously don’t think generating 10million euro in the town is enough??? What else can the festival do to support local business.

Apologies I do always seem to end up taking the side of the festival god knows why. They don’t get everything right all of the time that’s for sure and I do have my own criticisms from time to time. I do genuinely think that it does get it’s fair share of unnecessary criticism though and as a town we should be doing more to support it.

A year off will be good I think ?? Who knows it might even become the normal at every second year????

• Advertisement

It's a national issue..once you open up the country and travel begins..the disease spreads....the June bank holiday could be horrific for contagious contact..
    Just look at Germany...large population... brilliant hospitals...had the numbers suppressed...opened up the country..and bang..numbers shooting up again inside 2 weeks .. transmission rate at the 1.0 figure according to some reports... lockdown imminent again
    Personally I think we have another 5 - 6 weeks lockdown ahead of us... with only slight concessions...
    Construction... hardware...cafes for takeaway only.
    Harvey Norman...TK Maxx etc..not until after that time
    Pubs, hairdressers, restaurants...not anytime before the end of August.

The government has been damn good imo... but now they need to get tough and just come out and tell people the likely reality.... otherwise people are walking around thinking they can nearly go about their lives from Monday

Pushing the inevitable second wave into the winter flu season is setting us up for utter catastrophe. We need to allow the outbreak to spread in a controlled manner during the summer months so we have at least partial herd immunity coming into the autumn. But instead, the government is behaving like a rabbit caught in headlights, afraid to make any changes at all.

Meanwhile, while so many obsess about minimising covid infections and deaths, excess non-covid deaths are racking up as people are not being treated for cancer, heart disease etc. Either out of completely unjustified fear or because they're a private patient who has had their essential treatment inexplicably cancelled. While the private hospitals are lying almost empty. Bonkers stuff.

By maintaining a ban on non-local travel, there is no reason why different levels of restriction can't apply in different parts of the country and the legislation specifically allows for that. But the government appears to be too cowardly to take that approach for fear of offending the Dubliners. If Kerry was the one remaining covid hotspot, I've no doubt they'd take a rather different approach.

Alas, I can no longer support the course of action our government is taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a bit of Aslan! They are great live. Last year was the first year the played the festival in a long time. I didn't get to go down, but I could hear them from where I live. I did get to see the Hothouse Flowers and they were excellent. Last year's lineup was pretty good. It would be good to have a few more like that. But the xfactor ones are there for the younger generation. Not all the acts are going to be to everyones taste.

We went to that gig too and it was outstanding, even if it was the usual 25 euro a head we would have thought it great value.

How can someone complain when it's free?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Pushing the inevitable second wave into the winter flu season is setting us up for utter catastrophe. We need to allow the outbreak to spread in a controlled manner during the summer months so we have at least partial herd immunity coming into the autumn. But instead, the government is behaving like a rabbit caught in headlights, afraid to make any changes at all.

Meanwhile, while so many obsess about minimising covid infections and deaths, excess non-covid deaths are racking up as people are not being treated for cancer, heart disease etc. Either out of completely unjustified fear or because they're a private patient who has had their essential treatment inexplicably cancelled. While the private hospitals are lying almost empty. Bonkers stuff.

By maintaining a ban on non-local travel, there is no reason why different levels of restriction can't apply in different parts of the country and the legislation specifically allows for that. But the government appears to be too cowardly to take that approach for fear of offending the Dubliners. If Kerry was the one remaining covid hotspot, I've no doubt they'd take a rather different approach.

Alas, I can no longer support the course of action our government is taking.

We haven't had a first wave....we have suppressed it before it took off .. Tony Holohan said that

Herd immunity doesn't exist with covid... England were going to try it . ..the results would have been catastrophic
    New Zealand considered it..
    J Arden then said it would cost possibly tens of thousands of lives... Coronavirus by their nature are not one off occurances... South Korea, who are one of the leaders in suppressing the virus have 223 reinfection tests as of yesterday.

I don't think your post is unusual at the moment though...some people are thinking the same way as yourself.... and (I believe) the reality we have at the moment is what we will have for the rest of this year.
    Inter county travel will be kept to a minimum...out social circles will be kept tight...social distancing is here to stay for the immediate future.
    Flu...There would be 60-120 direct deaths every year from flu...with lockdown....and distancing in place.. that number would fall this year ..and remember..that's a whole year... we've had over 1000 covid deaths in 5 weeks...and that's with restrictions!
    The numbers are coming down...they will drop further... but again...we have another 4- 6 weeks of this ahead of us. . again..imo.

On a personal note...I would know some of the posters here...your good self I don't know ..but if you're struggling..ask for help please.. i lost a family member yesterday who was struggling and these are tough times for us all .. anyone that says they are flying thru this are only kidding themselves ..we are all having horrid days...it's just trying to find a way to work thru and keep the fears at bay.
    Be well .

We haven't had a first wave....we have suppressed it before it took off .. Tony Holohan said that

Herd immunity doesn't exist with covid... England were going to try it . ..the results would have been catastrophic
    New Zealand considered it..
    J Arden then said it would cost possibly tens of thousands of lives... Coronavirus by their nature are not one off occurances... South Korea, who are one of the leaders in suppressing the virus have 223 reinfection tests as of yesterday.

I don't think your post is unusual at the moment though...some people are thinking the same way as yourself.... and (I believe) the reality we have at the moment is what we will have for the rest of this year.
    Inter county travel will be kept to a minimum...out social circles will be kept tight...social distancing is here to stay for the immediate future.
    Flu...There would be 60-120 direct deaths every year from flu...with lockdown....and distancing in place.. that number would fall this year ..and remember..that's a whole year... we've had over 1000 covid deaths in 5 weeks...and that's with restrictions!
    The numbers are coming down...they will drop further... but again...we have another 4- 6 weeks of this ahead of us. . again..imo.

On a personal note...I would know some of the posters here...your good self I don't know ..but if you're struggling..ask for help please.. i lost a family member yesterday who was struggling and these are tough times for us all .. anyone that says they are flying thru this are only kidding themselves ..we are all having horrid days...it's just trying to find a way to work thru and keep the fears at bay.
    Be well .

There is no proven reinfection. A widely-posited theory for those small number of specific cases from South Korea is that the patients haven't fully cleared the virus from their systems and then suffer a relapse.

Again, suggesting that herd immunity doesn't exist is nonsensical as we don't have hard evidence one way or the other due to the virus being new. But due to the virus's very low mutation rate and from studies of its close relative SARS, it's fair to surmise that there will be at least some degree of short-to-medium-term herd immunity.

Adopting a policy of minimising covid deaths that causes an excessive number of non-covid deaths makes absolutely no sense and neither does keeping the whole country under lockdown when the outbreak has retreated back to certain specific areas.

A vaccine is a long, long way off and this virus is here for good so we need to adopt a sustainable strategy. This is not a sustainable strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Be well .
    Sorry to hear that

There is no proven reinfection. A widely-posited theory for those small number of specific cases from South Korea is that the patients haven't fully cleared the virus from their systems and then suffer a relapse.

Again, suggesting that herd immunity doesn't exist is nonsensical as we don't have hard evidence one way or the other due to the virus being new. But due to the virus's very low mutation rate and from studies of its close relative SARS, it's fair to surmise that there will be at least some degree of short-to-medium-term herd immunity.

Adopting a policy of minimising covid deaths that causes an excessive number of non-covid deaths makes absolutely no sense and neither does keeping the whole country under lockdown when the outbreak has retreated back to certain specific areas.

A vaccine is a long, long way off and this virus is here for good so we need to adopt a sustainable strategy. This is not a sustainable strategy.

Firstly..the reinfection/ reactivation isn't proven
    The Chinese were getting readings last month of between 4-13%...
    Neither reactivation...nor reinfection are proven.. but what can't be denied is it's one or perhaps both of them... and perhaps reactivation is the one we don't want ..a seemingly healthy person can infect people while not being symptomatic.

I'm sorry... but herd immunity is out... Listen to Tony Holohan and be guided, he's already said this ..and he's taking his lead from the WHO ..
    herd immunity, without a vaccine is not a preventive measure...that's not in doubt.
    So what you'd be doing is reinfecting/reactivating thousands..and killing thousands more...so forget it..the science doesn't back up the fairytale.

We stay under lockdown for another month...we come out..we social distance...we don't have GAA games..no pubs...no big gatherings.. and we do this until a vaccine is found...there is no other way in afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Managed To nab myself Some Ronseal Red Ceader Fence Paint yesterday.
    Couldn't believe my luck. Last place i expected to find in a farm supply store in Ardfert.

Went in to buy a yard brush and Spotted the last 2 Buckets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Nice one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Managed To nab myself Some Ronseal Red Ceader Fence Paint yesterday.
    Couldn't believe my luck. Last place i expected to find in a farm supply store in Ardfert.

Nice one, Kev! Enjoy the painting!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

We stay under lockdown for another month...we come out..we social distance...we don't have GAA games..no pubs...no big gatherings.. and we do this until a vaccine is found...there is no other way in afraid

My thoughts too, and have been for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ardferts answer to Lidl:D:D

Firstly..the reinfection/ reactivation isn't proven
    The Chinese were getting readings last month of between 4-13%...
    Neither reactivation...nor reinfection are proven.. but what can't be denied is it's one or perhaps both of them... and perhaps reactivation is the one we don't want ..a seemingly healthy person can infect people while not being symptomatic.

I'm sorry... but herd immunity is out... Listen to Tony Holohan and be guided, he's already said this ..and he's taking his lead from the WHO ..
    herd immunity, without a vaccine is not a preventive measure...that's not in doubt.
    So what you'd be doing is reinfecting/reactivating thousands..and killing thousands more...so forget it..the science doesn't back up the fairytale.

I'm afraid what you're describing is a cure that's worse than the disease in terms of the quantity of adverse health outcomes an extended inflexible lockdown will result in.

I don't have your blind faith in Tony Holohan or any other individual medic. Medical opinions vary, judging by the variance in how different countries are responding with different approaches on lockdowns, face masks, testing/tracing etc.

I, for one, will no longer be able to strictly adhere to the current lockdown conditions from next Tuesday if there is no relaxation - particularly if data continues to suggest that there no longer appears to be community transmission in Kerry.

We need regional variance in the lockdown conditions in keeping with the regional variance in the presence of the virus in the community. Relax them where they are too strict. Tighten them where they are not strict enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

What would change for you between now and Tuesday .

Would you be forced to return to work ?

What would change for you between now and Tuesday .

Would you be forced to return to work ?

As I said, the restrictions should be relaxed as appropriate in the parts of the country where community suppression is being suppressed.

A hell of a lot of social media posts saying that quite a few local businesses will be opening on Tuesday...
    I'm not sure how I feel about this... the lockdown measures are still in place...the businesses are not necessary...and I've seen no sign of any of them marking off the streets for social distancing etc.

Will the gardai have powers to close any of these who are openly breaking the rules...or are we all allowed go into town and do as we please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

A hell of a lot of social media posts saying that quite a few local businesses will be opening on Tuesday...
    I'm not sure how I feel about this... the lockdown measures are still in place...the businesses are not necessary...and I've seen no sign of any of them marking off the streets for social distancing etc.

Will the gardai have powers to close any of these who are openly breaking the rules...or are we all allowed go into town and do as we please?

First off, sorry for your loss.

I'm not on Facebook (thankfully) or twitter.
    Regarding the opening of businesses on social media that you've seen - they wouldn't be allowed to open unless the are of a certain category.
    I'm sure to each and every business, they see themselves as necessary for their families.

The country needs to get going again.
    Locking down for the unforeseeable isn't a runner.
    Obviously, all the social distancing measures need to be upheld, and I have voiced my concern loudly to a few individuals in supermarkets recently.

Good to see a pathway at last to resuming businesses to what will be a new norm..

Feeling more positive after today's briefing by Leo. Its going to take a while, but we have a much better idea of what is to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Is there anywhere i could buy a large amount of hand sanitiser? Trying to plan for re-opening

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Is there anywhere i could buy a large amount of hand sanitiser? Trying to plan for re-opening

Try total cleaning supplies in the horan centre. Or chance Cliffords cash and carry. Think they had some recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 ComputerTech

Try the Pope of Rome ! ... you might have a better chance.

Advertisement