Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Try the Pope of Rome ! ... you might have a better chance.

Plenty of hand sanitiser around now. Loads of the distilleries even produced their own which can be bought in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

When I was in Homesavers last they had 5lt containers of it, not that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

When I read some to the posts I'm reminded of the Brendan Grace joke about an asteroid that was going to wipe out the Earth.

This Covid 19 virus is like nothing we have ever experienced before. It is not the common cold, or the 'Flu.
    It's a killer, affecting all ages.
    Older people are mostly in danger from the virus, but younger people are also dying from it.

It is understandably difficult for people to be in lock-down and restricted in their movements. We are all suffering the stress and strains of that, but to return to a business as usual scenario too soon will result a catastrophic outcome as the virus will spread.

We are being very good so far following the recommendations of the HSE and the medical experts, and it is working.

Well done and thanks to all the good people who are providing food, and medical sustenance to us all. Our friends and neighbours who work in the essential services communities. They are the heroes. Cheers to them.

There will be and end to the frustration and disruption sometime. Don't lose heart. We will see better days.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

When I read some to the posts I'm reminded of the Brendan Grace joke about an asteroid that was going to wipe out the Earth.

This Covid 19 virus is like nothing we have ever experienced before. It is not the common cold, or the 'Flu.
    It's a killer, affecting all ages.
    Older people are mostly in danger from the virus, but younger people are also dying from it.

It is understandably difficult for people to be in lock-down and restricted in their movements. We are all suffering the stress and strains of that, but to return to a business as usual scenario too soon will result a catastrophic outcome as the virus will spread.

We are being very good so far following the recommendations of the HSE and the medical experts, and it is working.

Well done and thanks to all the good people who are providing food, and medical sustenance to us all. Our friends and neighbours who work in the essential services communities. They are the heroes. Cheers to them.

There will be and end to the frustration and disruption sometime. Don't lose heart. We will see better days.
    My opinion on this was succinctly expressed by Paul Moynagh, professor of immunology at NUIM, in yesterday's Sindo.

He said, 'We have to ask if the return that we get for exercising full lockdown justifies closing down the entire economy and seriously threatening non-Covid healthcare. I don't think it's wise to continue on a path without some self-reflection to see can we do some things better - because it is too late after the event'.

Dr Ciara Kelly thinks similarly, 'We may need to live alongside this virus for many months to come - or even longer than that. And we cannot live under a lockdown that kills untold numbers of non-Covid patients and the economy but reduces Covid case numbers and call that a success'.

This is backed up by a new study of 24 countries, including Ireland and Sweden, which shows the virus following the same set pattern regardless of what measures have been used to suppress it. After eight weeks, all their curves have converged. What all these countries have in common are the rigourous social distancing & hygiene measures they've adopted.

Nobody (except the Gemma & John loony show) is arguing for business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Please keep discussions on Covid to the thread that was started specifically for it.

I know most of us have buckets of extra free time with little to do, but it is still a pain in the @$$ to have to wade through all the Covid stuff to find the nuggets that relate to Tralee. Please.:)

ps - I know that there are several crossover topics such as the cancellation of the Festival, and that is fine; I'm referring to the critiques of national policy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Remember Everyone, try and shop local as and after we come out of lockdown and maybe even holiday local too. Think a lot of people in Ireland will be depending on the home market this year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

I drove into Tralee town this morning to do my shopping, as I do everyday and was shocked to see so many cars around.
    Lately I have been able to park in the child bay in Garveys carpark everyday as there are no wardens around and it just makes it so much easier to get in and out.
    But today all the child bay parking was taken. I found this strange as there are supposed to be "no children left out."

Sorry about the rant but I dont think people are taking this serious at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Sully34 wrote: »
    I drove into Tralee town this morning to do my shopping, as I do everyday and was shocked to see so many cars around.
    Lately I have been able to park in the child bay in Garveys carpark everyday as there are no wardens around and it just makes it so much easier to get in and out.
    But today all the child bay parking was taken. I found this strange as there are supposed to be "no children left out."

I don't think its a case that no children are allowed to be left out. supermarkets have changed their policy on allowing a parent who may not have any choice but to bring their child with them if they are either a single parent or their partner is working. At least Dunnes have for sure. They haven't banned kids from going out! Many people park in those parent & child spaces and have no kids with them.

There is a lot of traffic around though, but there are more people starting to go back to work too in various places.

fatalll wrote: »
    Remember Everyone, try and shop local as and after we come out of lockdown and maybe even holiday local too. Think a lot of people in Ireland will be depending on the home market this year at least.

I am looking forward to a break away when we are able to. We wanted to take our little boy to Dublin zoo for his 4th birthday in July, but I don't know if that will happen, at least not until later in the summer or autumn. I don't know when we can even book a hotel again. I'm sure there will be some good deals though.

I don't actually know when the Zoo's are meant to reopen?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't think its a case that no children are allowed to be left out. supermarkets have changed their policy on allowing a parent who may not have any choice but to bring their child with them if they are either a single parent or their partner is working. At least Dunnes have for sure. They haven't banned kids from going out! Many people park in those parent & child spaces and have no kids with them.

There is a lot of traffic around though, but there are more people starting to go back to work too in various places.

Well I know if I was to enter a supermarket and seen kids in there then I would turn back around and walk out. They are the biggest carriers and be running around touching everything. No offence to single parents but they are renowned for not being able to control their kids.

I agree there is way too much traffic around

• Advertisement

Well I know if I was to enter a supermarket and seen kids in there then I would turn back around and walk out. They are the biggest carriers and be running around touching everything. No offence to single parents but they are renowned for not being able to control their kids.

I agree there is way too much traffic around

That's a very unfair statement to make!

That's a very unfair statement to make!

You're right. Just saying kids are a handful and maybe it's easier to control them with both parents rather than just one on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Why you going into town every day, would once a week be more prudent?
    And why are you parking in the parent and child spot if you dont have kids with you?

g1983d wrote: »
    Why you going into town every day, would once a week be more prudent?
    And why are you parking in the parent and child spot if you dont have kids with you?

Not much of variety in the shops out my way so better off going into town really.
    And the parent and child spots are closer to the door. Dont really want to be parking in the disability parking like I see some assholes doing

You're right. Just saying kids are a handful and maybe it's easier to control them with both parents rather than just one on their own

I've seen plenty of kids who are a handful with both parents with them...my own child included! He's well able to act up when we are out in public. I find him easier to manage on my own! I have had more tantrums to deal with when he's been out shopping with both of us than when he's been out just with me! I know how hard it is to keep a child under control when out shopping. At least my little one can still sit in the trolley so he doesn't run off. I am not sure how easy it will be when he grows out of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

You don't know either that those children were of an age that they could be in the seat of the trolley and not running around.

Dr McConkey has also said there is no evidence that children are 'super spreaders', any chance they had of being must be seriously diminished at this stage as they haven't been at school or mixing with other kids for ages.

I honestly don't think I'd bat an eye if I saw a child in a supermarket, just take all your own precautions correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Not much of variety in the shops out my way so better off going into town really.
    And the parent and child spots are closer to the door. Dont really want to be parking in the disability parking like I see some assholes doing

That's fine but with some planning one trip to the shops in Tralee per week would be plenty, people going to the shops every day is some of the reason for all the cars on the road.
    Re the parking, why not park in one of the regular parking spots, theres 100s of them in there

It is very unfair to park in that space if you have no kids with you! I hardly ever manage to get the parent and child space when shopping with my little boy. They are designed to be wider to help get babies in car seats out and kids out safely. And they are closer to the main door to safely get kids in without having to bring them through a busy carpark. The amount of times I've needed one of those space only to find a person with no kids using them. Its very frustrating and unfair. When I'm on my own without my child I would never use one!

I've seen plenty of kids who are a handful with both parents with them...my own child included! He's well able to act up when we are out in public. I find him easier to manage on my own! I have had more tantrums to deal with when he's been out shopping with both of us than when he's been out just with me! I know how hard it is to keep a child under control when out shopping. At least my little one can still sit in the trolley so he doesn't run off. I am not sure how easy it will be when he grows out of that!

Exactly!! And that is the reason why I wont go into supermarkets when there are kids there

It is very unfair to park in that space if you have no kids with you! I hardly ever manage to get the parent and child space when shopping with my little boy. They are designed to be wider to help get babies in car seats out and kids out safely. And they are closer to the main door to safely get kids in without having to bring them through a busy carpark. The amount of times I've needed one of those space only to find a person with no kids using them. Its very frustrating and unfair. When I'm on my own without my child I would never use one!

I agree. I have only being using them since children have been banned due to the pandemic

• Advertisement

I agree. I have only being using them since children have been banned due to the pandemic

But who has banned them?? No one has banned kids! Its just advised to try not to bring them if possible.
    Still not fair to use the space though. You don't know who else does need it.

g1983d wrote: »
    That's fine but with some planning one trip to the shops in Tralee per week would be plenty, people going to the shops every day is some of the reason for all the cars on the road.
    Re the parking, why not park in one of the regular parking spots, theres 100s of them in there

Oh I do my weekly shop but just come in for the daily papers.
    Do you still have to pay for the other parking spots since there are no wardens around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Tralee coming up on 6 1 News re circus stuck in town

Oh I do my weekly shop but just come in for the daily papers.
    Do you still have to pay for the other parking spots since there are no wardens around?

There were definitely wardens around for the last month or so! I've heard of plenty of people getting tickets. Not sure if they still are but I would think so.

I am looking forward to a break away when we are able to. We wanted to take our little boy to Dublin zoo for his 4th birthday in July, but I don't know if that will happen, at least not until later in the summer or autumn. I don't know when we can even book a hotel again. I'm sure there will be some good deals though.

I don't actually know when the Zoo's are meant to reopen?

Hotels are due to reopen July 20th I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I see our auld buddy Sully is back... Kinda surprised people take his posts seriously :D

kn wrote: »
    Tralee coming up on 6 1 News re circus stuck in town

Friend of mine whose uncle works in the KSPCA told me they cant afford to keep the animals anymore. So maybe time to move them along.

I went for a combined walk & shop yesterday afternoon & the traffic at the Mall/Castle St/Ashe St junction was just as busy as if it was pre lockdown.

Friend of mine whose uncle works in the KSPCA told me they cant afford to keep the animals anymore. So maybe time to move them along.

I don't believe any circus' have animals anymore.

• Advertisement

kn wrote: »
    I went for a combined walk & shop yesterday afternoon & the traffic at the Mall/Castle St/Ashe St junction was just as busy as if it was pre lockdown.

It's a disgrace

Advertisement