Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

BPKS wrote: »
    Obviously not condoning what the little gobsh1te allegedly did for a second but it seems funny that if the young fella hit another young fella and smashed his jaw in the Square there would be little or no comment about it on here.

What happened to the old sticks and stones adage?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but racism never hurts" ....
    Have to admit...I've not heard that one before

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Obviously not condoning what the little gobsh1te allegedly did for a second but it seems funny that if the young fella hit another young fella and smashed his jaw in the Square there would be little or no comment about it on here.

What happened to the old sticks and stones adage?

It’s a bit more than sticks and stones to be fair! And if a fight was all over social media and gone viral I’m sure it would be commented on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Nor sure we can talk about this anymore as he has been arrested?

Right and proper too. Excusing that type of hatred is just giving a license to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but racism never hurts" ....
    Have to admit...I've not heard that one before

Did it go viral when James McClean was being called a Fenian B@stard? I take it that is racist abuse isn't it?

Was everybody in Wigan or Darlington tarred with the same brush (like people seem to be doing with Tralee/Kerry/Kerry GAA) when some fool from Wigan or Darlington tweeted that to James McClean.

Anyway maybe I should not even have mentioned that as there is no excusing what the young fella allegedly did.

Did it go viral when James McClean was being called a Fenian B@stard? I take it that is racist abuse isn't it?

Was everybody in Wigan or Darlington tarred with the same brush (like people seem to be doing with Tralee/Kerry/Kerry GAA) when some fool from Wigan or Darlington tweeted that to James McClean.

Anyway maybe I should not even have mentioned that as there is no excusing what the young fella allegedly did.

Whataboutery is not a valid argument.
    And it's sectarian abuse you're referring to.
    The gardai have asked for it not to be discussed in social media..so I won't be referring to it anymore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Can we all stop discussing this matter now. As mentioned its now with the Gardaí and being investigated. Thanks. Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

fatalll wrote: »
    Just a note to say a few dogs have gone missing in Tralee recently, so be careful out there.

Not in this case, the dog in question has been happily reunited with its owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

When the hardware stores open on Monday, is it likely that we will see queues similar to those at ALDI a few weeks back? Need to get a few bits & pieces but dunno its is worth my while going in cos I'm working Monday at 10.

When the hardware stores open on Monday, is it likely that we will see queues similar to those at ALDI a few weeks back? Need to get a few bits & pieces but dunno its is worth my while going in cos I'm working Monday at 10.

Are they definitely opening Monday?

I need to get very specific bulbs that I can't get anywhere but hardware shops. In fact I could do with completely changing our ceiling light fitting as the bulbs are blowing all the time, so we are wasting money on replacing them and they are too hard to get. I will need to go to either Kellihers or Woodies. I can't bear the thought of the queues either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Are they definitely opening Monday?

I need to get very specific bulbs that I can't get anywhere but hardware shops. In fact I could do with completely changing our ceiling light fitting as the bulbs are blowing all the time, so we are wasting money on replacing them and they are too hard to get. I will need to go to either Kellihers or Woodies. I can't bear the thought of the queues either!
    kellihers in rock st have been open all through this.

• Advertisement

kellihers in rock st have been open all through this.

Yeah I know, but I don't know if you can just go in or do you have to ring ahead? I haven't been in town much during week so I don't know how they are operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Wouldn't they have been considered an "essential retailer"? Haven't been in the town centre much myself, but would presume they have been operating on regular working hours.

Wouldn't they have been considered an "essential retailer"? Haven't been in the town centre much myself, but would presume they have been operating on regular working hours.

They have been open, I know people were getting paint from them, but I don't think you could just walk in as normal. I don't know if you had to ring ahead to order and collect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Quackster wrote: »
    It is an offense if 'the written material, words, behaviour, visual images or sounds, as the case may be, are threatening, abusive or insulting and are intended or, having regard to all the circumstances, are likely to stir up hatred'.

Our existing hate crime laws are weak, but thankfully are on the political radar to be strengthened. In this instance though, it's not a stretch to consider what was posted an offence under existing legislation.

And no, Ian Wright would not have to make a complaint himself.

You missed out on the bit about AND are likely to stir up hatred. He didn't even publish the material. Wright did that himself.

It would be the equivalent if in a pub I said the same to your face and then you jumped up on your stool and repeated it to everyone in the bar - and then claimed that I was inciting hatred even though you were the one that broadcasted it!!

kn wrote: »
    You missed out on the bit about AND are likely to stir up hatred. He didn't even publish the material. Wright did that himself.

It would be the equivalent if in a pub I said the same to your face and then you jumped up on your stool and repeated it to everyone in the bar - and then claimed that I was inciting hatred even though you were the one that broadcasted it!!

Please stop discussing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

You can go into Kellihers, just go in the back to the left and there is sometimes a bit of a queue to get into the shop. I have seen people outside the front door too so I'd say you can go in that way as well, I was there this morning but just looking for plants so didn't actually need to go into the shop but people in and out.

phormium wrote: »
    You can go into Kellihers, just go in the back to the left and there is sometimes a bit of a queue to get into the shop. I have seen people outside the front door too so I'd say you can go in that way as well, I was there this morning but just looking for plants so didn't actually need to go into the shop but people in and out.

Perfect, thanks a mill for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

They have been open, I know people were getting paint from them, but I don't think you could just walk in as normal. I don't know if you had to ring ahead to order and collect it?

I had to grab something in there last week, went to the front door, the lady there wasn't sure what I was asking for and let me in to the shop to get it myself. Many other customers in there too, coming in from the back door and front door.

*didn't see the above reply before my comment.

Adiboo wrote: »
    I had to grab something in there last week, went to the front door, the lady there wasn't sure what I was asking for and let me in to the shop to get it myself. Many other customers in there too, coming in from the back door and front door.

*didn't see the above reply before my comment.

Thanks. I haven't been in town during week enough to have time to go down to see how they were doing business. I think my husband is going to call in and see if he can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

<snip>

No more discussion on this incident, as has been requested twice now on the thread by Moderators. Please do no post on the matter again. MOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

<snip>

No more discussion on this incident, as has been requested twice now on the thread by Moderators. Please do no post on the matter again. MOD

Apologies did not realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'd almost hold off on purchasing DIY/garden/home items for a couple of days next week as I'd say it will be manic on Monday or Tuesday with the pent up demand.In particular places like Woodies which will probably have queue systems like Dunnes slowing how many can shop at one time.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'd almost hold off on purchasing DIY/garden/home items for a couple of days next week as I'd say it will be manic on Monday or Tuesday with the pent up demand.In particular places like Woodies which will probably have queue systems like Dunnes slowing how many can shop at one time.

And given the demand for paint, it will probably be hard to get, especially out door paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Hi

Does anyone know if/when Argos are reopening, nothing on their website and no response to emails

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Please stop discussing it!!

Why?

he has not been charged by the Guards

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Salvadoor wrote: »
    Why?

Because if he is charged by them, comments on social media might affect the outcome of a trial.

Why?

It can't be any clearer

Why?

Please accept moderators requests. The Garda asked for it not to be discussed on social media so dont discuss it! Thank you. Mod.

newman10 wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know if/when Argos are reopening, nothing on their website and no response to emails

Thanks

They were restricting items on their website. I did read that people were finding it hard to contatct them. I didn’t hear when they will be allowed reopen. May not be until June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Yeah I know, but I don't know if you can just go in or do you have to ring ahead? I haven't been in town much during week so I don't know how they are operating.

Anytime I need anything I just pop in. Best to go in via the car park.

Advertisement