Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I remember years ago the ladies of Tralee were going mad because the film Sex And The City was not shown in Tralee so they all had to trek to Listowel to watch it. Again, I think it was down to what distributors were affiliated with Omniplex determined what was shown. Xtravision back in the day used to be a pain like that as well where certain massive hits were not available to rent at their outlets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    I remember years ago the ladies of Tralee were going mad because the film Sex And The City was not shown in Tralee so they all had to trek to Listowel to watch it. Again, I think it was down to what distributors were affiliated with Omniplex determined what was shown. Xtravision back in the day used to be a pain like that as well where certain massive hits were not available to rent at their outlets.

Yes I was one of those ladies!! We had to go to Listowel for both those SATC movies because it wasn't being shown in Tralee or Killarney!

That €5 deal they usually do on a Tuesday seems quite popular. Anytime I've gone in the past year it's been packed. I haven't been to the cinema since about Jan or Feb though. There's not been much out that I've wanted to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

siblers wrote: »
    It might have been a preview viewing, they often show a film on a Thursday night but it won't be shown fully till the next week, I've never noticed the cinema in Tralee to just do a single showing the week a major films comes out.

Nah, this was premiere night. Warcraft had strange scheduling in its global release, though. It cam out here on a Monday rather than the usual Thursday/Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Yes I was one of those ladies!! We had to go to Listowel for both those SATC movies because it wasn't being shown in Tralee or Killarney!

That €5 deal they usually do on a Tuesday seems quite popular. Anytime I've gone in the past year it's been packed. I haven't been to the cinema since about Jan or Feb though. There's not been much out that I've wanted to see.

I went to the Conjuring 6pm showing yesterday and it was well busy in there despite it being a fiver through to Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Town was rocking last night. Great atmosphere around the place with the win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

So 'Quarters' nightclub is reopening this weekend, but its been renamed....'Escape'!

http://traleetoday.ie/nightclub/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Sounds like a strip club.

Feile Peil na Nog is happening around the county this weekend, including in Tralee. I only have the programme for the Austin Stacks, but if anyone else has further info they would like to share, feel free. Best of luck to all involved!

http://www.austinstacks.ie/your-austin-stacks-feile-weekend-programme/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Feile Peil na Nog is happening around the county this weekend, including in Tralee. I only have the programme for the Austin Stacks, but if anyone else has further info they would like to share, feel free. Best of luck to all involved!

http://www.austinstacks.ie/your-austin-stacks-feile-weekend-programme/

Full fixtures guide here

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/10007287/Feile_Peil_na_nOg_2016_Fixtures_Playing_Rules

I remember playing in the Feile when it was last held here back in 1994,it was like we are going playing in the World Cup,had get pictures taken before it for the programme,new playing gear and each of us had a squad number,it was big deal,happy memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I'd swear I played in that too, it was a great event, good to see it back in Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bobdcow wrote: »
    I'd swear I played in that too, it was a great event, good to see it back in Kerry

It was held in 93 as well,

Its split over three counties now,Kerry,Cork and Limerick

Full fixtures guide here

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/10007287/Feile_Peil_na_nOg_2016_Fixtures_Playing_Rules

I remember playing in the Feile when it was last held here back in 1994,it was like we are going playing in the World Cup,had get pictures taken before it for the programme,new playing gear and each of us had a squad number,it was big deal,happy memories :D

Thanks for the link, I didn't think to look there!
    I used to play ladies football for the Stacks, but not in this as I had given up playing by 1994 due to a knee issue!

Another event for the kids this weekend is the Enchanted Fairy festival in Kilflynn. I've heard great things about this!
    https://www.facebook.com/Kilflynn-Enchanted-Fairy-Festival-474020039396035/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Thanks for the link, I didn't think to look there!
    I used to play ladies football for the Stacks, but not in this as I had given up playing by 1994 due to a knee issue!

Youd have been too old by then anyway ! :D

That truck we were talking about last week, which was parked at the county buildings is now gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

That truck we were talking about last week, which was parked at the county buildings is now gone!
    Maybe they got paid!

I think they take it out periodically and then back in to evade laws on being left abandoned or some such.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/debenhams-seeks-to-repudiate-rents-as-survival-deadline-looms-34832764.html

I can imagine that Tralee is likely one of the 'at least three' of their 11 stores that they want to get out of the lease for i.e. close. Whenever I'm over that way there are very few in there for a rather large store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

kn wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/debenhams-seeks-to-repudiate-rents-as-survival-deadline-looms-34832764.html

I can imagine that Tralee is likely one of the 'at least three' of their 11 stores that they want to get out of the lease for i.e. close. Whenever I'm over that way there are very few in there for a rather large store.

I remember Manor being noted for being good for working with the tenants during the recession to keep rents/leases reasonable which explained why the centre was always full or near fully occupied throughout the recession when so many other retail parks across the country had half their units vacant. Even if Tralee isn't one of Debenham's busier revenue generating outlets, if that store is not being crucified by upward only rent reviews dictated during the Celtic Tiger, it may not be one of the targeted stores....at least i hope not.

I'm not a frequent shopper at that store as I find their clothes unnecessarily expensive except at sales time but I'd still hate to see Tralee lose such a big name retailer like Debenhams and of course the jobs impact it would have.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ongarboy wrote: »
    kn wrote: »

I remember Manor being noted for being good for working with the tenants during the recession to keep rents/leases reasonable which explained why the centre was always full or near fully occupied throughout the recession when so many other retail parks across the country had half their units vacant. Even if Tralee isn't one of Debenham's busier revenue generating outlets, if that store is not being crucified by upward only rent reviews dictated during the Celtic Tiger, it may not be one of the targeted stores....at least i hope not.

I'm not a frequent shopper at that store as I find their clothes unnecessarily expensive except at sales time but I'd still hate to see Tralee lose such a big name retailer like Debenhams and of course the jobs impact it would have.

The Debenhams (and Tesco) units were bought by Roches Stores from Boyles when Manor was being built and Roches became Debenhams landlord when Debenhams took over their retail operations.

So Debenhams (and Tesco) would have been dealing with a completely different landlord during the recession than the rest of the businesses in Manor.

That said, all the units in Manor are now under the same ownership - an American investment fund. And by all accounts, Debenhams biggest difficulty is with the leases of their three stores still owned by Roches.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    The Debenhams (and Tesco) units were bought by Roches Stores from Boyles when Manor was being built and Roches became Debenhams landlord when Debenhams took over their retail operations.

So Debenhams (and Tesco) would have been dealing with a completely different landlord during the recession than the rest of the businesses in Manor.

That said, all the units in Manor are now under the same ownership - an American investment fund. And by all accounts, Debenhams biggest difficulty is with the leases of their three stores still owned by Roches.

But would Roches be gone now as a business, therefore not the landlord anymore. They may have sold on that lease/unit?

But would Roches be gone now as a business, therefore not the landlord anymore. They may have sold on that lease/unit?

No, it still exists as a property company. It sold its Manor units a few years ago but still owns the Debenhams buildings in Henry St, Dublin & Patrick St, Cork and I think one other.

Roches is the landlord that's been giving Debenhams the most grief, refusing to budge on their upward-only leases.

I was over in Manor today, it was mentioned here that the florist was gone in the last few weeks, but so is the large TV/Advertising sign with seats below it, makes the place look very open now.

Spotted that truck outside the county buildings again.

The truck has to be moved every so often as otherwise it would be considered a permanent structure that would require planning.

There's a new shop opening on Castle Street, near the old Fas office. Not quite sure what's going in there, but looks like maybe a clothing store.

That shop on Edward st (near post office) is a bit odd. Not quite sure what they are meant to be, but seems like some sort of health food shop. They still have no name over the door.

There was a lot of work going on in the old Streat cafe in Manor today, looked like a lot of things being removed - hopefully a new tennant soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

There's a new shop opening on Castle Street, near the old Fas office. Not quite sure what's going in there, but looks like maybe a clothing store.

That shop on Edward st (near post office) is a bit odd. Not quite sure what they are meant to be, but seems like some sort of health food shop. They still have no name over the door.

There's a link to Seancara there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Quackster wrote: »
    The truck has to be moved every so often as otherwise it would be considered a permanent structure that would require planning.

What truck is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Advertisement