Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, The Mall area was bustling this afternoon despite the mediocre weather. Went for lunch in Der Sullivan's. They've made a lovely job of the interior pub(Mall Tavern), loads of cozy booths and a more traditional style look.

I'm looking forward to going into the mall. Going to organise a dinner for a few friends so we can have a catch up!

I noticed a long queue into Penney's today. I hadn't seen a queue in since the first re-opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

went down town today to have lunch. Felt very uneasy around town. Lots of dodgy/rough people around. Had to tell my mother a few times to put her purse away. Didn’t feel one but safe and this was around 2.30

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

adam88 wrote: »
    went down town today to have lunch. Felt very uneasy around town. Lots of dodgy/rough people around. Had to tell my mother a few times to put her purse away. Didn’t feel one but safe and this was around 2.30

Funny, I was there around the same time and didn't notice anything sinister. Lots of parents and kids, workers, shoppers, people going about their business or harmlessly dwelling. People seemingly perceive the world in different ways!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Funny, I was there around the same time and didn't notice anything sinister. Lots of parents and kids, workers, shoppers, people going about their business or harmlessly dwelling. People seemingly perceive the world in different ways!

I agree. I was in town too and I didn't find any issues yesterday. It was busy but not rough.

The only issue I have is people aren't looking where they are going and not giving enough safe distance to others. So many people just walking around as normal and very few will move out of their way to let you passed. In shops people are mostly ok, but I've had people step right in front of me while I'm looking at something and not say excuse me or wait, just move right in as if I'm not there. Its frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I was in town the same time as above, I noticed it extremely busy, it looked almost like the festival season standing outside small Tesco looking towards the square. The place was black with people. I did not notice anything or anybody dodgy or untoward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 TraleeAbu

Was an interested onlooker here for while but felt i had to join up to vent my frustration at such a post. How on god's earth could anyone say they don't feel safe in Tralee Town at 2.30 in the afternoon?? Tralee is no different to any other town in Ireland yet it has become acceptable to present it in a bad way. Yes there are some undesirables about but they are in every town, even Killarney:) We need to be a bit more positive about our town!! Apologies for the rant on my debut!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I was passing the Low Field today and the little lad asked me what goes on in there - I know Dynamos own it but is it redundant now seeing as there are pitches up in Monavalley direction - out past the housing estates by the industrial park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Does anybody know if aib stay open late just for the machines? I know they used to before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I see the council are moving into the 21st C with cashless packing. Having been so used to it in Dublin, it was a pain having to have coins.

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if aib stay open late just for the machines? I know they used to before

Yes they still open until 9pm 7 days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

TraleeAbu wrote: »
    Was an interested onlooker here for while but felt i had to join up to vent my frustration at such a post. How on god's earth could anyone say they don't feel safe in Tralee Town at 2.30 in the afternoon?? Tralee is no different to any other town in Ireland yet it has become acceptable to present it in a bad way. Yes there are some undesirables about but they are in every town, even Killarney:) We need to be a bit more positive about our town!! Apologies for the rant on my debut!!!

I think Killarney's scrots are mostly here as well. Like the guy who did the stabbing at the Library a couple of years ago. In the CMH now I believe. And there was the murder of the tall Russian lad from Killarney who was living in a homeless house in Killeen.

Maybe the poster should elaborate a bit more on what made him feel unsafe that afternoon. It could be linked to the fact that Tralee Court is sitting everyday for the entire County because of social distancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

kn wrote: »
    I think Killarney's scrots are mostly here as well. Like the guy who did the stabbing at the Library a couple of years ago. In the CMH now I believe. And there was the murder of the tall Russian lad from Killarney who was living in a homeless house in Killeen.

Maybe the poster should elaborate a bit more on what made him feel unsafe that afternoon. It could be linked to the fact that Tralee Court is sitting everyday for the entire County because of social distancing etc.

I’m living in the town a long time now and just yesterday I felt very uneasy. That’s why I made the comment here cause I thought it was strange to get so many scrotes around the town all in one go. I’d recognise the locals but there were not local lads and girls, all strangers. Maybe out of town folk up for their court appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

I’m living in the town a long time now and just yesterday I felt very uneasy. That’s why I made the comment here cause I thought it was strange to get so many scrotes around the town all in one go. I’d recognise the locals but there were not local lads and girls, all strangers. Maybe out of town folk up for their court appearance

This is why the court house should be located on a self contained purpose built site outside the environs of the town centre.

http://traleetoday.ie/fundraising-walk-aims-to-reclaim-bracker-oregan-road-name-from-fat-mile/

Fat Mile is now the latest victim of political correctness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

It will always be the Fat Mile!!

I think he would be better off promoting who Bracker O Regan was. I'm not a GAA fan but would have to listen to family talking about it and being honest I have never heard of him (bar the naming of the road) and I don't know what he has done for Kerry GAA. (I know I can look it up - but I'm not that interested in it/him).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

While any charity fundraising is admirable they really made mugs of themselves with this. And the part about the mile being a British term of measurement really capped it. Are people really that soft that they would care or be insulted about things like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

As an amply arsed woman I'm not in the least bit offended by the word 'fat' and I find the colloquial name 'The Fat Mile' amusing . It certainly doesn't put me off from walking if anything it's encouraging. If I want to haul my fat arse up and down The Fat Mile and call it that, I will. I've also never heard of Bracker O'Reagan and have zero interest in a local footballer of yore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jack Imhoff

Having a look on Facebook and I see a certain butcher ..I mean obstetrician is offended by the "Fat Mile" :D

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Anyone get their Kerry staycation vouchers in the post yet? I thought they were being sent out a few weeks ago but never received anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Quackster wrote: »
    Anyone get their Kerry staycation vouchers in the post yet? I thought they were being sent out a few weeks ago but never received anything.

Yes, yesterday. €100 worth in €5,€10 & €20 vouchers. I’m not sure how valuable they are to most people but at least it’s something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Agree that it will be called the "Fat mile" for a long time & the old railway line down to Rock st. will be called the "Skinny mile".

I would love to know what genius in the Council decided on that crazy paving (Matcrete) on the footpaths. When my kids were babies you couldn't push the pram along there as they would be shaken to death, then later they wouldn't cycle there as it was too rough. I see runners using the side of the road as its not suitable for running. Crazy decision in my opinion. Tarred surface on the "Skinny mile" on the other hand is perfect for all leisure activities.

T.

Quackster wrote: »

Nope, nothing yet. I saw that Yummy's have some in their cafe!

TigerTim wrote: »
    Agree that it will be called the "Fat mile" for a long time & the old railway line down to Rock st. will be called the "Skinny mile".

I would love to know what genius in the Council decided on that crazy paving (Matcrete) on the footpaths. When my kids were babies you couldn't push the pram along there as they would be shaken to death, then later they wouldn't cycle there as it was too rough. I see runners using the side of the road as its not suitable for running. Crazy decision in my opinion. Tarred surface on the "Skinny mile" on the other hand is perfect for all leisure activities.

T.

Yes, the paving is really annoying! I tried to cycle it once and went onto the road. I haven't walked it with a pram, but I feel sorry for any poor child who has to endure it! :D

Yes, yesterday. €100 worth in €5,€10 & €20 vouchers. I’m not sure how valuable they are to most people but at least it’s something.
    Ah, fair enough. I don't think they give much off but I may be spending a few nights in a B&B in Kerry at the end of the month and every little bit helps as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CinderKone

Hi,
    Just wondering which internet provider I could use in Tralee. I’d like to come over and work in my dad's house the odd week to keep and eye on him but need a stable and strong connection. His phone is with eircom.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jack Imhoff

CinderKone wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering which internet provider I could use in Tralee. I’d like to come over and work in my dad's house the odd week to keep and eye on him but need a stable and strong connection. His phone is with eircom.
    Thanks.

If you're in the town...or suburbs...eircom is the way to go...he might even get a deal to add to his bill

Hi,
    Thanks.
    His Eir line more than likely supports VDSL broadband which is more than enough for most needs. You can get it directly from Eir, although you'll generally be paying over the odds.

Several other companies, including Vodafone and Sky, provide the same service over Eir lines. Best shop around for the cheapest deal on the likes of bonkers.ie etc.

Siro fibre is also available in some parts of town. Again, this is sold by various companies, including Vodafone. This would be completely separate from the existing Eir service. Eir also provide their own fibre in much of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

Hi,
    Thanks.

Digiweb are a good company to deal with. If you get his Eircode you can go on to their website pop it in and it will tell you what services are available at his house.

If you care about shopping local I can’t recommend Kerry Broadband enough. Based here in town. They are able to provide the same service as any of the big companies. They even have their own over the air service that is great value and super reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

If you care about shopping local I can’t recommend Kerry Broadband enough. Based here in town. They are able to provide the same service as any of the big companies. They even have their own over the air service that is great value and super reliable.

There's a thread on Kerry broadband I would advise the OP to check out. As a former customer of Kerry broadband I would be advising to avoid avoid avoid.

OP you never say where in the area your situated . In the town or outside as this will have an impact on what's available to you.

• Advertisement

Did Starbucks officially open this week?

Advertisement