Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

we spent 10 mins in the drive thru at Starbucks this morning - kids were delighted.
    Biggest hold up seemed to be people deciding what to get at the order microphone. Once you got to the window it was only about a 2 minute wait. Staff were very busy there this morning - all working hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

That's great! I was just about message if Starbucks has opened yet in Tralee. Is it just a drive-thru no cafe? Similar to McDonald's Drive thru? I spotted Starbucks had been built recently on the Manor West side of Tralee but it was not ready to open for customers. Has Costa opened yet? It wasn't the last time I was in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

starlit wrote: »
    That's great! I was just about message if Starbucks has opened yet in Tralee. Is it just a drive-thru no cafe? Similar to McDonald's Drive thru? I spotted Starbucks had been built recently on the Manor West side of Tralee but it was not ready to open for customers. Has Costa opened yet? It wasn't the last time I was in Tralee.

It will have inside seating too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

There's a thread on Kerry broadband I would advise the OP to check out. As a former customer of Kerry broadband I would be advising to avoid avoid avoid.

OP you never say where in the area your situated . In the town or outside as this will have an impact on what's available to you.

This, avoid Kerry Broadband like the plague. I had an absolute nightmare with them. Basically if you are in town you can most likely get fibre either through eir or Siro. Eir fibre is also being sold by sky and digiweb who have far better customer service than Eir.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

starlit wrote: »

Costa hasn't reopened yet. Apparently the Manor one will reopen around the 20th July (not sure of exact date). There doesn't seem to be a date for the town centre one yet. Someone did say that they haven't reopened in the UK yet either, but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Mention of the "Fat mile" got me thinking. Anyone remember when the Matt Talbot road was called the "Ho Chi Minh " trail (from Vietnam). I remember it was called this after it opened. North to South.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Costa hasn't reopened yet. Apparently the Manor one will reopen around the 20th July (not sure of exact date). There doesn't seem to be a date for the town centre one yet. Someone did say that they haven't reopened in the UK yet either, but I'm not sure.

I seen people inside the one in Manor on Thursday afternoon. So would seem they're opeing up soon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Water is off in the OakPark area and surrounds. Burst pipe apparently.

From Irish water twitter:
    #IWKerry: Repairs to a burst water main may affect supply to Clash, Oakpark, Caherslee, The Kerries, Blennerville, Ballyroe, Clogherbrien & surrounds in Tralee. Crews are working to restore supply as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jack Imhoff

I see that Tralee soprano Miriam Murphy has passed away in her London home.
    Kerry School of Music graduate and a real success story.
    At dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dilis

An Cearnóg bar are doing an extensive range of frozen pizzas and pints today.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see that Tralee soprano Miriam Murphy has passed away in her London home.
    Kerry School of Music graduate and a real success story.
    At dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dilis

Sad to hear that. She couldn't be more than aged 50 as I remember as a child being in the Bons Secours choir and she was also in it. A beautiful voice. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

I just see Killarney have Meade the very sensible decision of asking birds Amusements not to visit the town this year due to Covid 19 fears.

Meanwhile in Tralee our councillors are pushing them to come and pushing to run the park festival in conjunction with it!!!!

What a silly bunch we have!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Clab mor wrote: »
    I just see Killarney have Meade the very sensible decision of asking birds Amusements not to visit the town this year due to Covid 19 fears.

Meanwhile in Tralee our councillors are pushing them to come and pushing to run the park festival in conjunction with it!!!!

We can always be sensible and stay away and ensure our kids do the same.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    We can always be sensible and stay away and ensure our kids do the same.

Absolutely but the problem here is not everyone will and like the pubs and the beaches on a fine day people, (especially the young) will navigate towards something like birds amusements and a park festival.

This virus spreads rapidly and just because your not there doesn’t mean you can’t be effected or impacted by it. Someone who’s picked it up at Birds Amusements or Park Festival could very easily pass it to you while you are doing your shopping or going about your normal daily life!!!!

From what I read on Tralee Today Tralee councillors are looking at the end of August. Right before kids are supposed to go back to school absolute geniuses!!!!!

I think the larger problem lies with Killarney at the moment tbh.
    Organised house parties.. people with covid travelling from Dublin to take part and possibly infecting residents.
    The bars letting crowds congregate, quite a lot of American tourists around...it's a going to end badly
    When you have tourist driven businesses campaigning for a return to normal...it's a recipe for disaster.
    Killarney will be in trouble before Tralee gets fully reopened at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Clab mor wrote: »

Where did you see theuev asked them to not come?

https://www.killarneytoday.com/birds-euroshow-ready-roll-killarney/

I think the larger problem lies with Killarney at the moment tbh.
    Organised house parties.. people with covid travelling from Dublin to take part and possibly infecting residents.
    The bars letting crowds congregate, quite a lot of American tourists around...it's a going to end badly
    When you have tourist driven businesses campaigning for a return to normal...it's a recipe for disaster.
    Killarney will be in trouble before Tralee gets fully reopened at this stage

If you think people from Dublin and beyond are not travelling to Tralee or that organised house parties are not taken place in tralee you are very sadly mistaken.

I actually think Tralee is at an advantage when it comes to getting business flowing again. Thankfully we don’t rely on tourism as much as Killarney. It’s going to be next year realistically before Killarney sees any proper business improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

I took the kids to McDonald’s drivetru today. Now that Starbucks has opened the place is absolute chaos! Somebody will be killed up there and car accidents will be daily.
    I know it will ease when seating opens but they either need traffic lights or possibly extend the car park with an exit into Manor West shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

My best mate works in a well known Killarney bar and food place and they have been busy even with social distancing etc.

• Advertisement

kn wrote: »
    My best mate works in a well known Killarney bar and food place and they have been busy even with social distancing etc.

We went to Killarney on Wednesday & had food in one of the bars there. No problem with social distancing. No one asked us for contact details though!?

We saw a group of youngsters trying to get into a few different bars in the town, but they seemed to be turned away from most.

It was a very wet afternoon, so not a huge crowd around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

An Cearnóg bar are doing an extensive range of frozen pizzas and pints today.......

They should be closed down, only acting the maggot for the sake of a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

The infection rates are rising- this time among people in their 40's, and a high percent who are under 25.
    I think the prevailing attitude is that young people only experience mild symptoms. That may be the case in the majority; however, as more is being learned about the Covid 19 virus, more than a few are experiencing life-changing affects. Heart, liver and lung diseases are being attributed to the novel coronavirus, and even deaths, by those who are not in the perceived vulnerable age group.
    It is imperative to keep following the medical advisors' guidance and stay safe.

Can we keep actual Covid19 related information (infection rates etc) to the covid19 thread please! It clogs up too much of this thread. Thanks. MOD

Forge83 wrote: »
    I took the kids to McDonald’s drivetru today. Now that Starbucks has opened the place is absolute chaos! Somebody will be killed up there and car accidents will be daily.
    I know it will ease when seating opens but they either need traffic lights or possibly extend the car park with an exit into Manor West shopping centre.

its hard to see how planning was given for another drive through up there. Its too busy in that one area between McDonalds, the petrol station, various shops down the end. There's not a great deal of parking either. Its going to be too hard to get in or out of the place. The main road is so busy during the day, it will cause havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    its hard to see how planning was given for another drive through up there. Its too busy in that one area between McDonalds, the petrol station, various shops down the end. There's not a great deal of parking either. Its going to be too hard to get in or out of the place. The main road is so busy during the day, it will cause havoc.

Makes the walk for a coffee shorter for all the council staff though:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Ciarrai76 wrote:

In their defence planning was given pre covid. I can't remember ever quing on the main road for McDonalds pre covid. So you can see how it's just all came together at the wrong time.

I was at starbucks today and yeah it's a nightmare. Hopefully with places opening up to public we will see a bit of this easing up but when I asked the lady at the counter of starbucks she said it wont be till at least another month before they open their doors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I can't understand people's obsession with sh#t takeaway coffee. You'd get far better in town from Amaretto's etc.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I can't understand people's obsession with sh#t takeaway coffee. You'd get far better in town from Amaretto's etc.

Why does it matter? Each to their own! You might like what someone considers sh*t beer! Everyone likes their own things, that's life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I see the Dish Cafe on Russel St will no longer be opening due to the Covid situation. A pity, as the grub was pretty good there, and I did enjoy the breakfast.

Advertisement