Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    They hadn't closed down, just closed for Covid-19. They were due to move premises, but that's put on hold for now. They haven't gone out of business.

Where they moving to??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Clab mor wrote: »
    Where they moving to??

I don't know. They were meant to be leaving where they are as the lease was due to expire and I heard they wouldn't be renewing it. I think at one point they were looking to move up to Manor, but that seems to have fallen through. I assume they will have to keep looking now.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I don't know. They were meant to be leaving where they are as the lease was due to expire and I heard they wouldn't be renewing it. I think at one point they were looking to move up to Manor, but that seems to have fallen through. I assume they will have to keep looking now.
    Looks to me that JYSK are planning to open in Manor now, pending receipt of planning permission for the mezzanine in the vacant unit.

Also talk of another chain taking over some Debenhams stores. Should that be M&S, then I would expect Tralee to be one of the stores to reopen (along with Mahon Point & Waterford).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Quackster wrote: »
    Looks to me that JYSK are planning to open in Manor now, pending receipt of planning permission for the mezzanine in the vacant unit.

Also talk of another chain taking over some Debenhams stores. Should that be M&S, then I would expect Tralee to be one of the stores to reopen (along with Mahon Point & Waterford).
    Would be great if the Debenhams staff could find re-employment with Marks

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Would love to see stores opening in town centre, especially the dunnes unit but never made sense to me why jysk would open there.
    Many is perfect for them selling furniture etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Decathlon are viewing the old Debenhams in Mahon Point and imho I cant see M&S going in there
    Covid has changed the whole concept of Retailing and the way we shop, it dows not suit the Dept.Store Format

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/11/debenhams-ready-to-cut-2500-jobs-in-new-blow-to-high-street

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0813/1159033-brown-thomas-arnotts/

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

starlit wrote: »
    Are they I thought they had closed down the last time I was in Tralee town.

Just a thought.........People (customers) must realise that if the want shops, they must use them, make an effort not just to come and see what a size is like, take a photo and then search Amazon.

Why is there a Q for Starbucks when you have local Coffee Shops, the choice is yours or you will end up like many "county towns"

Lack of customers leads to a lack of Shops, it's a downward cycle and if it starts it usually doesn't stop !!

These Retailers pay Rates to keep your town services going, they employ staff contributing to the economy, they give the donations and spot prizes, the list is quite long......

Have a look at Tralee from a Retailers point of view and be honest with yourself, would you open a non food business in Tralee ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Certainly no shortage of cafés, between the Daily Grind, the Roast House, and too many to mention on Ashe Street, and all offering high-quality coffee - indeed the future of the Courthouse is probably the biggest threat to many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Certainly no shortage of cafés, between the Daily Grind, the Roast House, and too many to mention on Ashe Street, and all offering high-quality coffee - indeed the future of the Courthouse is probably the biggest threat to many of them.

Was just discussing that yesterday! There's been some rumours that the old barracks would make a good site for the new courthouse and we were joking that we'd be getting some lovely coffee houses in our neck of the woods to keep the legal eagles caffainated and sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Speaking of eating out, just tried Sforno on Edward Street tonight - all our meals were excellent and reasonably priced, the owners and staff were friendly, and starting to fill up as we were leaving, so they're off to a good start at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Did anyone pass by Birds Bazaar this evening? Were there crowds?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Adiboo wrote: »
    Did anyone pass by Birds Bazaar this evening? Were there crowds?

Passed around 4, traffic was busy because of rubber necking but there didn't seem to be much of a crowd then.
    5 or 6 people on the more popular rides

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Was just discussing that yesterday! There's been some rumours that the old barracks would make a good site for the new courthouse and we were joking that we'd be getting some lovely coffee houses in our neck of the woods to keep the legal eagles caffainated and sharp.
    The Denny site is the only gig in town when it comes to the location of new courthouse. Expect that to be officially signed off on shortly.

Speaking of eating out, just tried Sforno on Edward Street tonight - all our meals were excellent and reasonably priced, the owners and staff were friendly, and starting to fill up as we were leaving, so they're off to a good start at least.
    That's great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

kn wrote: »
    I am told that the Gardai are wandering into a certain bar in the Square on at least a couple of times a day and that it is now closing after 9pm because of course there is no off site food to bring in.

I walked passed Baily’s Corner last night and the new area at the front window was absolutely jammers. I didn’t see any Pizza either on the table. It must be a right kick in the teeth for all compliant bars that cannot open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I walked passed Baily’s Corner last night and the new area at the front window was absolutely jammers. I didn’t see any Pizza either on the table. It must be a right kick in the teeth for all compliant bars that cannot open.

People are not necessarily eating for the whole 105 minutes. You can have your food consumed and cleared from table in 15 minutes and then continue with your drinks for the remainder of your allotted time. No one is breaking the guidelines doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

ongarboy wrote: »
    People are not necessarily eating for the whole 105 minutes. You can have your food consumed and cleared from table in 15 minutes and then continue with your drinks for the remainder of your allotted time. No one is breaking the guidelines doing that.

Fair enough but it was a lot of people jammed into a very, very small space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I did the same last night and that drew my attention as well. There was a group of about 8 just inside the window. No social distancing in view either. They of course could have had a meal prior to me passing by, this was about 9.30.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I heard the Gardai were into a lot of of the bar/restaurants last night and ensuring places were closing when they should etc. There were meant to be a lot of groups down from up the country and the Grand was supposed to be very busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I heard the Gardai were into a lot of of the bar/restaurants last night and ensuring places were closing when they should etc. There were meant to be a lot of groups down from up the country and the Grand was supposed to be very busy!

I bet you they didn't go near their bar Seán Ógs.

• Advertisement

I bet you they didn't go near their bar Seán Ógs.

From what I was told they did! Not sure how true it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0814/1159255-retailer-seeking-to-reopen-some-debenhams-stores/

I wonder which retailer is interested in the Irish Debenham stores and whether Tralee would be one of the locations? Apparently Mike Ashley's Sports Direct/USC/Brand Max chain is looking at taking over some of Debenham's shuttered UK stores. Maybe they're the retailer in question for Ireland. Not sure Tralee could support 2 Sports Direct stores though.

I think Homesense would be a good fit for the empty Debenhams unit, I remember there was talk of them moving into the old Carpet Right spot, but I guess that fizzled out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

See the main man in Spillanes passed away last week, Mike. Just after a meal there. Reduced menu, nobody propping up the bar. A roaring take away business going, girl who served us said the kitchen has never been as busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭trafficlight

Hey, does anyone know of anywhere in Tralee where people could just meet for a coffee after 6.30pm and not have to order a full meal, just coffee like?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

Hey, does anyone know of anywhere in Tralee where people could just meet for a coffee after 6.30pm and not have to order a full meal, just coffee like?

Most of the filling stations have seating areas and coffee machines. Just an option.

Corrib oil filling station has big food court inside with insomnia coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I've never had a problem in Benners hotel just getting a tea or coffee.

kn wrote: »
    I've never had a problem in Benners hotel just getting a tea or coffee.
    Likewise in the Rose. I can't see it being a problem in any hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Anyone see a drone flying over Oakpark in the past few days. Saw if flying from direction of Forge cross down towards town on Sunday afternoon around 4. Again Tuesday morn about 8.30 it passed down fairly fast over the Muing/Derrylea side of the Listowel & headed towards town until I lost sight of it & returned a few mins later on the other side of the Listowel road , more over Oakpark Demesne/ Oakley Park. Wonder was it legit or some scumbag scoping the area?.

T.

Advertisement