Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Traleelad wrote: »
    Starbucks drive through is one very busy spot since it’s opened. I don’t think I’ve passed yet and not seen a large q.

Stopped there today for the first time, but didn't sit in car queue, just walked in and was quicker!

I doubt Fine wines are too happy with the drive thru as you can't now turn right to park outside their shop from entrance. It makes you go into the drive thru...which you would be stuck in for ages. Customers have to park in main car park now. Not the worst thing in the world, but not ideal for a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Dublin Coach are re-starting their services from 1am tonight on the Tralee-Dublin route. Its a full return to their complete schedule with it looks like half the seats blocked off. Fares are the same as before but they are not taking cash fares but will take contactless payments as well as the online bookings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I just saw a notice on Pa Daly TD's facebook page regarding Irish Water. There will be some water outages on Wednesday, 9th Sept.

Irish Water advises that water main improvement works on Oakfield Square, Tralee may cause disruption to supply for homes and businesses on Wednesday 09 September from 09.30 to 13.00
    07 September 2020:
    Irish Water wishes to advise customers in Oakpark, Killeen, Clogherbrien, Ballyroe, Balloonagh, Kerins Park, Blennerville, Spa and surrounding areas in Tralee, that as part of water main improvement works being delivered, there will be disruption to water supply from 9.30 to 13.00 on Wednesday 09 September 2020.
    During these essential planned works, homes and businesses in the above areas area may be impacted by reduced water pressure and water outages. Following these improvement works, water supply may take 2-3 hours to return as water refills the network.
    These works are being undertaken to help facilitate the lifting of a Do Not Consume notice currently in place in the Oakfield Square area. Further assessment and testing of the affected supply at Oakfield Square will be undertaken before the removal of the Do Not Consume notice can be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Irish Water advises that water main improvement works on Oakfield Square, Tralee

Thanks, but where is Oakfield Square? I have been living in Tralee for more than a decade, but I never heard of this place before...

Quaderno wrote: »
    Thanks, but where is Oakfield Square? I have been living in Tralee for more than a decade, but I never heard of this place before...

Just over near Na Gael club, I think it should read Oakley Park...not sure if its correct on original post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I was wondering where it was too!

Just over near Na Gael club, I think it should read Oakley Park...not sure if its correct on original post?

No, I just checked the eircode-website and they refer to the estate behind the subway/butcher's/off-licence/student-accom. opposite McElligot's as "Oakfield Square". Google Maps shows the same place as "Muing West" and the main building is called Oakfield Court. Strange, I heard the name for the first time today and I have been living in the area for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

No, I just checked the eircode-website and they refer to the estate behind the subway/butcher's/off-licence/student-accom. opposite McElligot's as "Oakfield Square". Google Maps shows the same place as "Muing West" and the main building is called Oakfield Court. Strange, I heard the name for the first time today and I have been living in the area for many years.

That location is right. This was included in a planning permission in the past:

“The residents refer to this area as Oakfield Square so as to avoid confusion with the student accommodation known as Oakfield Court and which is located between the houses and the N69”

Hopefully water won’t be off for long in affected areas.

I just saw a notice on Pa Daly TD's facebook page regarding Irish Water. There will be some water outages on Wednesday, 9th Sept.

Irish Water advises that water main improvement works on Oakfield Square, Tralee may cause disruption to supply for homes and businesses on Wednesday 09 September from 09.30 to 13.00
    07 September 2020:
    Irish Water wishes to advise customers in Oakpark, Killeen, Clogherbrien, Ballyroe, Balloonagh, Kerins Park, Blennerville, Spa and surrounding areas in Tralee, that as part of water main improvement works being delivered, there will be disruption to water supply from 9.30 to 13.00 on Wednesday 09 September 2020.
    During these essential planned works, homes and businesses in the above areas area may be impacted by reduced water pressure and water outages. Following these improvement works, water supply may take 2-3 hours to return as water refills the network.
    These works are being undertaken to help facilitate the lifting of a Do Not Consume notice currently in place in the Oakfield Square area. Further assessment and testing of the affected supply at Oakfield Square will be undertaken before the removal of the Do Not Consume notice can be considered.

I just spotted on Irish Water's twitter feed that the works scheduled tomorrow (see above) are now from 3 - 6pm.

https://www.water.ie/water-supply/supply-and-service-update/?ref=KER00022044

Is the multi-storey carpark in Edward street now closed? I remember there being a for sale sign up at start of year, but it doesn't seem to have reopened since lockdown.

• Advertisement

I just saw a red squirrel in our garden in Tralee, a first for me. Did I just miss them all the time or is this a new addition to our area? I've seen a few in Killarney, but never here. Did anyone in or around Tralee observe any squirrels before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I just saw a red squirrel in our garden in Tralee, a first for me. Did I just miss them all the time or is this a new addition to our area? I've seen a few in Killarney, but never here. Did anyone in or around Tralee observe any squirrels before?

Leave out appropriate food and it will encourage them

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CinderKone

Get a few more Pine Martins as they kill far more grey squirrels than red. The red being native have a natural awareness.

CinderKone wrote: »
    Get a few more Pine Martins as they kill far more grey squirrels than red. The red being native have a natural awareness.

I don't think the grey ones made it over the Shannon yet, so they shouldn't be around here. I was genuinely happy to see the little furry guy this morning, it's a nice addition to the foxes and hedgehogs we see frequently. I'm not out in the sticks either, actually we are pretty close to the town centre. Nature is a great thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just Saw this on Radio Kerry site. This is frightening that so many unprovoked attacks are happening in Tralee. Is it the same man/men carrying out the attacks I wonder? I've never heard of so many unprovoked attacks in such a short space of time.

https://5uo3.app.link/XuxBKzEIM9

"Gardai have described several unprovoked assaults in Tralee over the past week as very alarming.

They are appealing for anyone with any information to contact them.

Last Tuesday, September 8th at 1.15 in the afternoon a man who was stopped in his car at the traffic lights at Ivy Terrace, Tralee suffered serious facial injuries when an unknown man approached his car and punched in him the face through the open driver’s window.

The victim of the serious assault was treated in University Hospital Kerry for his injuries.

Just after half past nine on Thursday (September 10th) morning, a man was punched and kicked by two men in the Boherbee area; he suffered serious injuries.

Around 1.20pm on Friday (September 11th), a teenager who was walking down Abbeycourt was pushed up against a wall by a man who punched him in the face and stomach.

Finally, at 8.20 last night (September 13th), a man in a white van pulled up in the Killerisk area of the town and began punching a man walking on the street in an unprovoked attack.

Garda Owen Walsh says the number of assaults in Tralee in the past week is of concern:

Anyone with any information on the assaults can contact Tralee Garda Station on 0667102300."

ongarboy wrote: »
    Just Saw this on Radio Kerry site. This is frightening that so many unprovoked attacks are happening in Tralee. Is it the same man/men carrying out the attacks I wonder? I've never heard of so many unprovoked attacks in such a short space of time.

https://5uo3.app.link/XuxBKzEIM9

"Gardai have described several unprovoked assaults in Tralee over the past week as very alarming.

They are appealing for anyone with any information to contact them.

Last Tuesday, September 8th at 1.15 in the afternoon a man who was stopped in his car at the traffic lights at Ivy Terrace, Tralee suffered serious facial injuries when an unknown man approached his car and punched in him the face through the open driver’s window.

The victim of the serious assault was treated in University Hospital Kerry for his injuries.

Just after half past nine on Thursday (September 10th) morning, a man was punched and kicked by two men in the Boherbee area; he suffered serious injuries.

Around 1.20pm on Friday (September 11th), a teenager who was walking down Abbeycourt was pushed up against a wall by a man who punched him in the face and stomach.

Finally, at 8.20 last night (September 13th), a man in a white van pulled up in the Killerisk area of the town and began punching a man walking on the street in an unprovoked attack.

Garda Owen Walsh says the number of assaults in Tralee in the past week is of concern:

Anyone with any information on the assaults can contact Tralee Garda Station on 0667102300."

What stood out to me in all of that was that they mostly happened in broad daylight, bar one which was in the evening, but still not late at night. It sounds to me like the same person/people doing this. Could it be an attempted mugging or something? Especially with the teacher! Very worrying.

Could anyone recommend a good RELIABLE tiler in Tralee?

I say reliable as lately some trades people seem to be getting really unreliable. They either don't turn up or when they do I can't get them to come back to me with a quote for the job! I badly need a tiler and the last guy that looked at a job for me didn't even bother to get back to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

What stood out to me in all of that was that they mostly happened in broad daylight, bar one which was in the evening, but still not late at night. It sounds to me like the same person/people doing this. Could it be an attempted mugging or something? Especially with the teacher! Very worrying.

It surely had to be the same person with probably mental issues - its hardly a number of unconnected incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Went for my usual walk yesterday evening after reading this. To say I was unsettled was an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

You would think that there is plenty of cctv in all those areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Traleelad

Anyone know what all the markings on the road and footpath in Castle Street are about??

It’s like some kind of an engineering survey with spray painted reference points etc??

Is castle street getting a face lift???

I noticed a big light had fallen from Bank of Ireland onto the pathway on Friday morning and some workmen were dealing with it at the time. thankfully no one was hurt, but apparently the light fell just seconds after 2 women had walked by!

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/women-escaped-injury-by-seconds-39534427.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone know what's being built in the green field site out beside Lohercannon?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's being built in the green field site out beside Lohercannon?

61 housing units: http://traleetoday.ie/approval-for-61-housing-units-in-lohercannon-but-cllrs-lament-loss-of-wall/

I remember someone was asking about a drone over Oakpark a couple of times recently. I saw it tonight for the first time. I was putting rubbish in the bins and heard the strangest buzzing noise which gave me a fright! Was right over my house, not too high above it. It came from Muing direction over towards Forge Cross/dromtacker.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I remember someone was asking about a drone over Oakpark a couple of times recently. I saw it tonight for the first time. I was putting rubbish in the bins and heard the strangest buzzing noise which gave me a fright! Was right over my house, not too high above it. It came from Muing direction over towards Forge Cross/dromtacker.
    I saw it circling around the Muing area while out walking around half eight last night!

Quackster wrote: »
    I saw it circling around the Muing area while out walking around half eight last night!

It must be someone from the area having a play with it in the evenings. It has quite a loud buzzing noise. I actually though there was some sort of swarm of bees above me for a second! It made me jump! :pac:

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It must be someone from the area having a play with it in the evenings. It has quite a loud buzzing noise. I actually though there was some sort of swarm of bees above me for a second! It made me jump! :pac:
    It was lit up too which makes me think that it's large enough and not some cheap thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I was in Fenit one day over by the diving boards and heard the same sort of buzzing and thought what the hell sort of insect or swarm was coming and then just above me a drone appeared! When you haven't heard that noise before it is like the sound of some giant insect, would give you a bit of a fright :)

• Advertisement

phormium wrote: »
    I was in Fenit one day over by the diving boards and heard the same sort of buzzing and thought what the hell sort of insect or swarm was coming and then just above me a drone appeared! When you haven't heard that noise before it is like the sound of some giant insect, would give you a bit of a fright :)

That's exactly what I thought it was. I actually jumped with the fright! :D

Advertisement