Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    That's exactly what I thought it was. I actually jumped with the fright! :D

It shouldn't be hovering over private homes. It could be casing it out for burglary or as suggested in recent times for dognapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

kn wrote: »
    It shouldn't be hovering over private homes. It could be casing it out for burglary or as suggested in recent times for dognapping.

Are slingshots illegal in Ireland? Asking for a friend...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

Have the guards stopped patrolling the town during the day.I saw a few of the undesirables in Pearse park drinking this afternoon.People wouldn't go through the park when they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Quackster wrote: »
    It was lit up too which makes me think that it's large enough and not some cheap thing.

Say it lit up one night too so must be a decent drone.

Seen it around 8.30 in the morning as well.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Traleelad

Bailey43 wrote: »
    Have the guards stopped patrolling the town during the day.I saw a few of the undesirables in Pearse park drinking this afternoon.People wouldn't go through the park when they were there.

Saw the same yesterday in the mall sitting on benches outside elvery sports.

Passed Garda car later in denny street and I’d say they didn’t even look into the mall passing.

Saw a garda cyclist on ivy terrace also.

They seemed to be in the wrong place at wrong time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

TigerTim wrote: »
    Say it lit up one night too so must be a decent drone.

Seen it around 8.30 in the morning as well.

T.

Is it always in the Oak park area? I'd be concerned it's someone casing houses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I see that the town park has been awarded a Green Flag by An Taisce for the first time! Its looking very well this year. The new caretaker has been doing a great job. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

https://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/fears-for-2500-jobs-as-ulster-bank-closure-being-considered-39540630.html

In any other time this would be mega news. Ulster Bank I think do a lot of business banking in town.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kn wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/fears-for-2500-jobs-as-ulster-bank-closure-being-considered-39540630.html

In any other time this would be mega news. Ulster Bank I think do a lot of business banking in town.
    Yeah, since the days of Lombard & Ulster.

They would still do significant mortgage business too but they seem to have long since lost interest in competing in the personal banking market.

I can well see why NatWest would consider it best to just cut their losses at this stage and bail out. I imagine they're angling for the Irish government to step in and take it off their hands by merging it into PTSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

While it could be big news it's not the first time I've heard it! This same news have been out over several times over the years especially during the 2008/09 era, it never came to pass then because basically I don't think they could find anyone to sell it to or to take it over.

However they have cut back even further over the years with staffing etc and now since beginning of this crisis with shortened branch hours some branches are running on a tiny staff.

It's even more unlikely at the moment that anyone would be interested in them so don't know what their options are likely to be. Worrying for staff but they have been continually under that sort of cloud on and off over the years as well as all the branch closures and redundancies, they must have had more rounds of redundancy than any other bank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

phormium wrote: »
    While it could be big news it's not the first time I've heard it! This same news have been out over several times over the years especially during the 2008/09 era, it never came to pass then because basically I don't think they could find anyone to sell it to or to take it over.

However they have cut back even further over the years with staffing etc and now since beginning of this crisis with shortened branch hours some branches are running on a tiny staff.

It's even more unlikely at the moment that anyone would be interested in them so don't know what their options are likely to be. Worrying for staff but they have been continually under that sort of cloud on and off over the years as well as all the branch closures and redundancies, they must have had more rounds of redundancy than any other bank!

Ever since the IT issues from a few years back the writing has been on the wall for them. Any time you walk past it's like a goat town in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

cms88 wrote: »
    Ever since the IT issues from a few years back the writing has been on the wall for them. Any time you walk past it's like a goat town in recent years.

I was always an AIB customer, even working for them but moved to UB when no one else would offer me a mortgage during 2012, have found them to be a great bank and hope they continue

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The likeliest option is that they would simply wind up the bank, like what Danske did with National Irish Bank.

Ulster Bank's ROI and NI operations were separated a few years ago so that would simplify the process of shutting down in ROI.

Pity KBC hasn't opened one of their 'hubs' in town.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The likeliest option is that they would simply wind up the bank, like what Danske did with National Irish Bank.

Ulster Bank's ROI and NI operations were separated a few years ago so that would simplify the process of shutting down in ROI.

Pity KBC hasn't opened one of their 'hubs' in town.

Yeah, it would be great if KBC opened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yeah, it would be great if KBC opened here.

KBC recently closed some of their not long open branches in other towns such as Naas and Kilkenny as most banking needs continue to migrate to online so I don't think they'll be in expansion mode.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been in a bricks and mortar bank in the last 10 years as I can do virtually everything online. I imagine most younger people rarely set foot in a bank unless they need a mortgage or run their own business. Retail branch culling by all the banks reflects this ongoing trend.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0909/1164256-kbc-to-close-four-hubs/

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

User
    Can I ask is there a tarmac greenway out by camp or dingle direction that would suit kids bikes. Basically not cycling on side of road.
    Thanks
    Jb

I saw it circling around the Muing area while out walking around half eight last night!

Just after seeing it again now @22:20 on Mon night. Came down from the North campus area, held stationery around the Spar shop for about 20 seconds & then headed back towards the Forge cross/North campus area. Lights flashing on it.

T.

Just after seeing it again now @22:20 on Mon night. Came down from the North campus area, held stationery around the Spar shop for about 20 seconds & then headed back towards the Forge cross/North campus area. Lights flashing on it.

T.

We have figured out where its coming from. I'm not going to say which estate here as I live in it! My husband came in thinking there were a swarm of bees after chasing him from the car a while ago, and then he realised it was the drone! It was hovering for a while over our house, then we watched it go up the estate a bit and land in a back garden. It was the same direction I saw it go last week too. My husband wanted to go up and ask them what they were doing, but he wasn't sure what house it went into.

I am assuming it is just someone playing around with it rather than it being anything sinister.

Thanks Ciarrai

Good to know. It looks like a decent bit of kit so hopefully not some toerag using it.

T.

Thanks Ciarrai

Good to know. It looks like a decent bit of kit so hopefully not some toerag using it.

T.

Its funny to think both myself and my husband thought it was a load of bees about to attack us! :D The person with the drone must have got a right laugh out of us!

• Advertisement

I see the Greyhound bar has had a big refurbishment done. It looks great from the photo's I've seen online tonight!

Anyone been in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Protest yesterday led by Brendan O'Beagloich regarding housing in the Gaeltacht. Brendan's been agitating for some years with KCC for planning permission for a house on his family's land, they seem to be denying it mostly because he does all correspondence in Irish. Really annoying, there are so many homes of low quality in the area or McMansions that don't fit, but the KCC are fine with that. Coverage in the tg4 video about 7 minutes in.

https://tg4.ie/ga/player/baile/?pid=6193178579001&series=Nuacht%20TG4&genre=Cursai%20Reatha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Anyone know what the story is with that massive fire that was burning for the last 2 days back Derrymore direction? You could smell the smoke from it around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Igotadose wrote: »
    Protest yesterday led by Brendan O'Beagloich regarding housing in the Gaeltacht. Brendan's been agitating for some years with KCC for planning permission for a house on his family's land, they seem to be denying it mostly because he does all correspondence in Irish. Really annoying, there are so many homes of low quality in the area or McMansions that don't fit, but the KCC are fine with that. Coverage in the tg4 video about 7 minutes in.

https://tg4.ie/ga/player/baile/?pid=6193178579001&series=Nuacht%20TG4&genre=Cursai%20Reatha

I understood that all public bodies must be able to correspond and deal with their business in Irish if the citizen wishes to do so? The Council must be meeting at John Mitchels centre these days for distancing reasons.

The expression about bolting stable doors comes to mind when it comes to planning in Kerry.

Does anyone know what exactly is being built on the main Oakpark road, where there is an old bungalow and now there's a new entrance and walls just built? I remember there being something about some sort of medical centre or residential home, going in on that land, but not sure if that's changed or what is happening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Does anyone know what exactly is being built on the main Oakpark road, where there is an old bungalow and now there's a new entrance and walls just built? I remember there being something about some sort of medical centre or residential home, going in on that land, but not sure if that's changed or what is happening there.

Nursing home from what Ive heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Nursing home in theory, reduced from 90 bed which was refused to 72 bed which shows decision to be made on 1/10/20? Optimistic obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with that massive fire that was burning for the last 2 days back Derrymore direction? You could smell the smoke from it around the town.

A gorse fire im sure. There was a lad clearing ground out there and he is burning off what’s left. He has alerted both the council & the Brigade im told.

Nursing home in theory, reduced from 90 bed which was refused to 72 bed which shows decision to be made on 1/10/20? Optimistic obviously :)

They have been clearing the land there for a couple of years now! I wonder what will happen to that bungalow. I had assumed it was being demolished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

They have been clearing the land there for a couple of years now! I wonder what will happen to that bungalow. I had assumed it was being demolished.

Looks like that, and the site on the right of it are to be sold as development. The bigger site on the left had an enormous hole dug there last year that was filled in with layers of earth and stone over a period of time, for what reason I have no idea. It was very unusual. Some one said they were disposing of Japanese knotweed in the site by burying it but I really don’t know.

Advertisement