Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Yup. Ffg and a few independents.

Labour too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Their timing is impeccable!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

A guy was arrested in Boherbee last night on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs. They also seized 340 suspected diazepam tablets.

from the Garda Síochána - Cork, Kerry & Limerick - Southern Region facebook page:

Gardaí have arrested a man on suspicion of drug driving and possession of 340 suspected diazepam tablets in Tralee last night.
    Shortly before midnight, Gardaí stopped a car and spoke to the driver who then handed over a small quantity of suspected cannabis herb. Gardaí then requested the driver to take a roadside drug test. The driver complied but took off running as they awaited the test results.
    During a short foot chase, Gardaí witnessed the man discarding a small container of suspected diazepam tablets worth approximately €700.
    The driver, a man in his 30, was arrested and brought to Tralee Garda Station where he is currently detained.
    The preliminary results from the roadside drug test indicated that the driver was also suspected of having cocaine, opiates and cannabis in his system.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

our councillors have confirmed tonight that they have no regard for the people who put them on the gravy train and have upped the property tax for next year.

Actually the property tax was not increased compared to this year, although that press release probably confused a lot of people. There is a fixed base rate from which the council can decide to go up or down by 15% max. Last year they upped it by 10% and this year by 7.5 - both compared to the same starting value. So the actual amount of tax will go down for next year (only slighty, but still...). And while I know that this might be an unpopular opinion, Ireland's property tax is ridiculously low compared to any other civilised country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Quaderno wrote: »
    Actually the property tax was not increased compared to this year, although that press release probably confused a lot of people. There is a fixed base rate from which the council can decide to go up or down by 15% max. Last year they upped it by 10% and this year by 7.5 - both compared to the same starting value. So the actual amount of tax will go down for next year (only slighty, but still...). And while I know that this might be an unpopular opinion, Ireland's property tax is ridiculously low compared to any other civilised country.

Yes, it always starts low, then governments realize it's a cash cow ripe for the milking and off they go.

I lived in NJ, when I bought my house in 1985 tax was under $1000/year. Last I looked, 30 years later, it's over $12000. Small pokey house, 2 bedrooms.

Property tax never goes down. It's new enough in Ireland that resisting it going up will benefit us all in the long run. Just because it's lower on average in Ireland doesn't mean that's bad. Further, I believe this will disproportionately impact the natives, rather than the holiday-home owners.

If the county wants to save money, start with justifying why there are 34(!) on the Council. How much would be saved if there were only 20? That's a start. A public comment period on the budget would be nice, too.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Yes, it always starts low, then governments realize it's a cash cow ripe for the milking and off they go.

I lived in NJ, when I bought my house in 1985 tax was under $1000/year. Last I looked, 30 years later, it's over $12000. Small pokey house, 2 bedrooms.

Property tax never goes down. It's new enough in Ireland that resisting it going up will benefit us all in the long run. Just because it's lower on average in Ireland doesn't mean that's bad. Further, I believe this will disproportionately impact the natives, rather than the holiday-home owners.

If the county wants to save money, start with justifying why there are 34(!) on the Council. How much would be saved if there were only 20? That's a start. A public comment period on the budget would be nice, too.

Yes, I absolutely agree. Just wanted to correct the facts re. yesterday's decision. And I am also sure it will only go up from here.
    Switzerland is probably one of the most creative countries in taxing property. They have a law that forces you to pay income tax on the amount you would have to pay in rent if you didn't own your place, on top of the actual property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Quaderno wrote: »

It's going up 7.5% from what's it s this year. That's an increase not a decrease.

It's going up 7.5% from what's it s this year. That's an increase not a decrease.

I respectfully disagree. The increase is calculated from the base rate which has been set at the last (and so far only) valuation date in 2013 - for actual rates see here.
    In September 2019 the council voted to increase the base rate by 10%, meaning a house valued at 225,000€ (example) would have cost 405€x1.1=445.50€ property tax in 2020. Yesterday the council again voted to increase the base rate, this time by 7.5%. The same house will now cost 405€x1.075=435.38€. So the actual amount that you have to pay for the same house next year just went down by just over 10€. I said the press release was confusing.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Next year it will 2.27% LESS than this year.

Which I personally think is a mistake. It should have been hiked to the maximum allowable.

Its definitely very confusing and most people have understood it as a 7.5% increase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Personally I find property tax a hard one to stomach. Work hard to build my own house which has contributed a fair amount of vat to the exchequer during the build process and then be asked for property tax which offers not a lot in return.
    At least the TV licence gets me programmes like the south westerlies on a Sunday evening.
    The year I built my house about 50k went to the exchequer between council charges, vat on products and services and income tax

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

g1983d wrote: »
    Personally I find property tax a hard one to stomach. Work hard to build my own house which has contributed a fair amount of vat to the exchequer during the build process and then be asked for property tax which offers not a lot in return.
    At least the TV licence gets me programmes like the south westerlies on a Sunday evening.
    The year I built my house about 50k went to the exchequer between council charges, vat on products and services and income tax

Its similar story with motor tax isn't it.

You could make a similar argument saying you paid VRT and VAT when your purchased your car and now cant understand why you have to pay annual motor tax and pay excise duty and VAT on petrol/diesel.

Now I don't like paying for stuff either but people who constantly complain about the property tax (and water charges before it) are the same people who will be complaining that the footpath is cracked, the street lights don't work, there is no public CCTV, the potholes are huge, the grass on the side of the Fat Mile hasn't been cut, the playground equipment is old and damaged etc and cannot see a link between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭StrikingOut

BPKS wrote: »

You could make a similar argument saying you paid VRT and VAT when your purchased your car and now cant understand why you have to pay annual motor tax and pay excise duty and VAT on petrol/diesel.

Now I don't like paying for stuff either but people who constantly complain about the property tax (and water charges before it) are the same people who will be complaining that the footpath is cracked, the street lights don't work, there is no public CCTV, the potholes are huge, the grass on the side of the Fat Mile hasn't been cut, the playground equipment is old and damaged etc and cannot see a link between the two.

True fact.

But, but, but. These were maintained before the property tax went in.
    As always, we don't have a revenue problem. We have a spending problem. Give us a vote on the budget, with a reasonable public discussion in advance of approval, then we can discuss tax levels.

FWIW I agree on water charges, water shouldn't be free we'll waste it (cf: drought restrictions when there's slightly less rain than average).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Have to say I've never complained about any one of those single things you mentioned, there is a street light broken just outside my house for months now, I have never rang anyone about it but I don't agree with the property tax so we are not necessarily the same people!

Took me years absolutely to get my house, lot of saving lot of hard work etc etc and just because I went to that bother and did without I now get taxed on the value of it! It's not a mansion by any means and I don't have the earning capacity any longer to be worrying about how this tax will finally end up.

Water charges make some sense as you can do something about it as in moderating your use to a certain degree, I installed water butts etc for watering plants, something simple that anyone can do.

phormium wrote: »
    Have to say I've never complained about any one of those single things you mentioned, there is a street light broken just outside my house for months now, I have never rang anyone about it but I don't agree with the property tax so we are not necessarily the same people!

Took me years absolutely to get my house, lot of saving lot of hard work etc etc and just because I went to that bother and did without I now get taxed on the value of it! It's not a mansion by any means and I don't have the earning capacity any longer to be worrying about how this tax will finally end up.

You can report a broken or faulty street light via the Airtricity website as they look after the maintenance of street lights (not in all private estates though).

http://airtricitysolutions.com/Content.aspx?key=report-fault

To be honest I like the dark garden, my solar lights look much better :) I'm sure if the neighbours want it fixed they will report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

But why do we pay income tax and USC which goes direct to Gov coffers Isnt it to pay for all of the above??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

But why do we pay income tax and USC which goes direct to Gov coffers Isnt it to pay for all of the above??

Because we spend more than we take in on income tax and USC and we have to fund the overspend by other means.

Anyway I'm out of this discussion.

Whats the weather like in Tralee today? What did ye think of the match at the weekend? Where can I get a nice scone?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I dont complain about road tax, though I do believe it should be incorporated into the cost of fuel, that way user pays for road maintenance.

On water i agree to charges and actually have metered water that I receive a bill for and I installed a rain water harvesting tank to conserve water.

I live outside Tralee town where there are no street lights, no footpaths, no cctv and plenty grass at the side of the road.
    As another poster said these things were all paid for before property tax, but that being said I cut the grass at the side of the road near my house, I installed my own cctv, i installed my own lights but none of that matters as its not my point.

My point is lots of houses are provided to people who need them and that is right and proper but I work hard and luckily can contribute to the exchequer and look after myself and my family and would like that I could live in my own home without being taxed on it.

I'm part of the middle squeezed I suppose and I should be a good boy and say nothing

• Advertisement

confirmation that the property tax was decreased and Kerry was one of 2 counties who lowered it!

https://www.radiokerry.ie/kerry-one-two-counties-decrease-lpt-rate/?fbclid=IwAR29VlFZJZ-nXcpWS8IomEKJ_1_AjG5tIqUxFaUsUEHKa_vGAUoLGdXLhUY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Because we spend more than we take in on income tax and USC and we have to fund the overspend by other means.

Anyway I'm out of this discussion.

Whats the weather like in Tralee today? What did ye think of the match at the weekend? Where can I get a nice scone?

Had some beautiful scones out in Ballygarry last week. actually can't remember whne I last had a scone that good.

Had some beautiful scones out in Ballygarry last week. actually can't remember whne I last had a scone that good.

Where in Ballygarry?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Where in Ballygarry?

I assume they mean the hotel...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I eat scones all over the town or used to anyway pre pandemic :)

Haven't been to Ballygarry so can't comment on those but I love the raspberry ones in The Bookshelf, Ballyseedy Garden Centre do nice brown ones too, Daily Grind ones are passable but as their coffee is so nice I put up with them :)

None of the other coffee shops made any major impression on me so these are my regulars!

phormium wrote: »
    I eat scones all over the town or used to anyway pre pandemic :)

Haven't been to Ballygarry so can't comment on those but I love the raspberry ones in The Bookshelf, Ballyseedy Garden Centre do nice brown ones too, Daily Grind ones are passable but as their coffee is so nice I put up with them :)

None of the other coffee shops made any major impression on me so these are my regulars!

The raspberry ones in the Bookshelf are gorgeous! I had a scone recently in yummy's but it was very stodgy, not to my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone know there any pedestrian access between Ard na Li and Racecourse Road without having to go out onto Oakpark road? Like a lane or something?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone know there any pedestrian access between Ard na Li and Racecourse Road without having to go out onto Oakpark road? Like a lane or something?

Not sure there is from Ard na Li. I could be wrong, but pretty sure there isn't. You can from Laurel Court (in behind Spar shop), but I don't think you can from Ard na Li side.

Advertisement