Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Am I the only one who is looking forward to the revamp of the town centre? Most of the comments I see on social media are negative. I think it's a positive. It's about time our town was modernised a bit. They have to start somewhere.

I'm in favour of anything that might result in a bit of level footpath around the town anyway..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kerryked wrote: »
    I'm in favour of anything that might result in a bit of level footpath around the town anyway..

Yeah! The amount of claims that council must have against them for people tripping & falling on those paths!

I wonder will there be much disruption to Denny street when they start, being that the festival is less than a month away and they plan to start Denny street first!?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Yeah! The amount of claims that council must have against them for people tripping & falling on those paths!

I wonder will there be much disruption to Denny street when they start, being that the festival is less than a month away and they plan to start Denny street first!?

I guess the sensible thing might be to just re-format the parking space before the festival, leave it for the two weeks and come back and work on the rest of it...but then again, I'm no county council engineer (I've got a brain :rolleyes: )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kerryked wrote: »
    I guess the sensible thing might be to just re-format the parking space before the festival, leave it for the two weeks and come back and work on the rest of it...but then again, I'm no county council engineer (I've got a brain :rolleyes: )

:D
    I get the impression they will do Denny st regardless & the mall later in the year. There are no music acts on Denny street for the festival this year, it's moved to the square! Not sure that's going to work, but maybe it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Has anyone here ever used the AHAR (Animal Heaven Animal Rescue) place in Castleisland?

• Advertisement

I get the impression they will do Denny st regardless & the mall later in the year. There are no music acts on Denny street for the festival this year, it's moved to the square! Not sure that's going to work, but maybe it will.

Oh really?

Haven't seen/looked for much about the festival this year tbh. Seems like they're kind of downsizing on the music acts then? They has the stage in the square and on Denny St. for the last few years hadn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Has anyone here ever used the AHAR (Animal Heaven Animal Rescue) place in Castleisland?

A lot of people would be opposed to AHAR, Also a lot of volunteers that have previously worked there have left and told shared their stories of what happens behind closed doors.
    https://www.facebook.com/Stop-AHAR-animal-heaven-animal-rescue-444187049018853/?fref=ts
    Sharon Shannon has also pulled her support. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-curious-tale-of-sharon-shannon-the-blue-macaw-and-the-animal-rescue-centre-31577768.html

pcuser wrote: »
    A lot of people would be opposed to AHAR, Also a lot of volunteers that have previously worked there have left and told shared their stories of what happens behind closed doors.
    https://www.facebook.com/Stop-AHAR-animal-heaven-animal-rescue-444187049018853/?fref=ts
    Sharon Shannon has also pulled her support. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-curious-tale-of-sharon-shannon-the-blue-macaw-and-the-animal-rescue-centre-31577768.html

Have a few pups and was thinking about dropping them out there if I cant find homes for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I see a lot of people mentioning Wendy from Animal Help Net Kerry - she may be a good port of call for info on who or where would take a pup.

http://https://www.facebook.com/Animal-Help-Net-Kerry-301915546512709/?fref=ts

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bobdcow wrote: »
    I believe the Tralee/Fenit is well behind other counties that started the process at the same time. I think there was segment on Radio Kerry about it a few months back, other counties just got on with the work and received the grants and are making great progress. It will be a great addition and I can't wait to use it, hopefully there will be grant money to move it on sooner rather than later.

Other counties haven't had to deal with Kerry landowners in building their greenways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of! Thank god I'm stuck at home at the moment so I don't have to see it! Lol

Why Ciarrai ? My three are enthusiastic pokemon goers-gets gamers up off their ass and walking up to 10km to find virtual pokemon-think its the best game ever

There was a piece on the radio today, Nintendo have made 64 million from Pokemon Go in 11 days :-) We had kiddies peeping over our wall - I presume looking for Pokemon! None to be found or my wife would have found them. I'd be playing it but it's not compatible with my phone :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

If you're a grown adult and you're running around chasing Pokemon I think you should take a long hard look at your life and wonder what went wrong :D

Why Ciarrai ? My three are enthusiastic pokemon goers-gets gamers up off their ass and walking up to 10km to find virtual pokemon-think its the best game ever

Just My opinion I guess! That's ok isnt it? Not my thing. Each to their own & all that!.....

If you're a grown adult and you're running around chasing Pokemon I think you should take a long hard look at your life and wonder what went wrong :D

Exactly! Kids doing it, fair enough, it's a game, adults.....eh no!

OMG - i'd be playing it if my phone would would take it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Exactly! Kids doing it, fair enough, it's a game, adults.....eh no!

Adults grew up with the cartoon and the original games though, the games were massive back in the day so the appeal is tere for adults.

siblers wrote: »
    Adults grew up with the cartoon and the original games though, the games were massive back in the day so the appeal is tere for adults.

I was way past that stuff age wise, so I can't quite relate I guess! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I was way past that stuff age wise, so I can't quite relate I guess! :rolleyes:

Me too....thank jebus

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Denny Street will stil be a hive of activity!!! There is a sort of 3D digital projection on the front on the Ashe Hall building on Wednesday Thursday and Friday nights...... Never before seen in Kerry

Saturday Sunday and Tuesday nights will still have a stage in place in Denny st with like free entertainment there on Sunday afternonn and evening!

Yeah the square will have the main headline acts but this is a positive, it'll create a better athmosphere and will be partially covered allowing seated areas.......

i remember when the parade route was changed a while back..... That was never going to work either but it did......

It's worth a try 500 people in Denny street is a ****e athmosphere.......500 in the square will be somewhat different......

Let's be positive people of Tralee...... Change isn't always bad....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

I think anyone who feels the need to look down on other people enjoying a game which encourages exercise and social interaction and doesnt affect them in anyway need to have a long hard look at their life :rolleyes:

There was a powercut apparently all over town for about 35 mins this morning - ruined the breakfast I was cooking

The Pokemon came out in 1995 - so even if you were 10 back then you would be early 30's now - people have a great grá for the old NES/gameboy games - we grew up with them, and there must be some great times in homes now with the adults playing with the children out and about - I think it's a great thing.

Clab mor wrote: »
    Denny Street will stil be a hive of activity!!! There is a sort of 3D digital projection on the front on the Ashe Hall building on Wednesday Thursday and Friday nights...... Never before seen in Kerry

Saturday Sunday and Tuesday nights will still have a stage in place in Denny st with like free entertainment there on Sunday afternonn and evening!

Yeah the square will have the main headline acts but this is a positive, it'll create a better athmosphere and will be partially covered allowing seated areas.......

i remember when the parade route was changed a while back..... That was never going to work either but it did......

It's worth a try 500 people in Denny street is a ****e athmosphere.......500 in the square will be somewhat different......

Let's be positive people of Tralee...... Change isn't always bad....

No one was being negative. Just pointing out what is happening. Thanks for updating us, we weren't sure what was going on while those works were going to be on & if it would affect the street entertainment etc. Things like the street stalls will probably have to be moved from Denny st too & will the parade still go up Denny st?

bobdcow wrote: »
    There was a powercut apparently all over town for about 35 mins this morning - ruined the breakfast I was cooking

Yeah, something to do with an incident in the Laharn station this morning. Not sure what they mean, but they said no injuries. Ours was back in Oakpark within 15 mins. Many parts of Kerry affected.

we were out for about 35, but it seems to be back all over Tralee now at this stage - it's amazing how much we rely on electricity and it's near panic when it goes - the worst for me is the alarms going off all over the estate when the power goes off!

If anyone is looking for ideas of things to do this weekend, here's a few things happening, according to traleetoday.ie

http://traleetoday.ie/six-things-around-tralee-weekend-2/

AN explosion at a power station on the outskirts of Tralee caused the major power outage across the county this morning.

About 50,000 people around the county in Tralee, Killarney, Dingle, west Kerry and south Kerry were without power from just after 9am. The ESB are carrying out a full investigation into what happened at the transmission station in Laharn on the Listowel Road.

No one was injured in the explosion. Work is ongoing to repair the equipment but power was restored in most homes around the county by 11am.

http://traleetoday.ie/incident-laharn-station/

To be fair to the ESB, they are very efficient here in Tralee anyway for restoring power as quickly as they have always done, I can't remember many power outages that have lasted a significant amount of time. (hours).

• Advertisement

A fella from the ESB was saying on the Radio that the problem has been temporary fixed and that there will be planned power cuts in the next few weeks to fix the problem.

Advertisement