Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Not sure there is from Ard na Li. I could be wrong, but pretty sure there isn't. You can from Laurel Court (in behind Spar shop), but I don't think you can from Ard na Li side.

Yeah it doesn't look like there is from Google maps but just said I'd ask in case. I hate running up Oakpark Road because it's so straight you can see for miles up the hill! At least I've found I can detour in Cluain Dara and back out the entrance to Ard na Li which is better than nothing.

Another one I'd like to figure out is if there's any route from St Brendan's Road over to Oakpark Road between the dog track and Killeen. Or something that parallels Oakpark road on the left as you head up, I made the mistake of running all the way into the back of Oakview a few weeks ago thinking it must surely link back up but ended up at a wall!

The permeability for pedestrians on the other side from Cluain/Lios Dara through Lios Beg to Ard na Li is great. It's so much more pleasant to walk/jog/cycle through there instead of along the main road. Pity the other side seems to be all walls and gates blocking off access.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah it doesn't look like there is from Google maps but just said I'd ask in case. I hate running up Oakpark Road because it's so straight you can see for miles up the hill! At least I've found I can detour in Cluain Dara and back out the entrance to Ard na Li which is better than nothing.

Another one I'd like to figure out is if there's any route from St Brendan's Road over to Oakpark Road between the dog track and Killeen. Or something that parallels Oakpark road on the left as you head up, I made the mistake of running all the way into the back of Oakview a few weeks ago thinking it must surely link back up but ended up at a wall!

The permeability for pedestrians on the other side from Cluain/Lios Dara through Lios Beg to Ard na Li is great. It's so much more pleasant to walk/jog/cycle through there instead of along the main road. Pity the other side seems to be all walls and gates blocking off access.

I am not sure, unless you just keep going up St. Brendan's road, towards Monavalley, then you can cut down Kileen road and back onto Oakpark. But as for a route in between, I don't think there is? I used to do a lot of walking in that area when my little boy was still in a pram, and I tried a few different routes in that area to avoid the boredom of the same thing!

For instance there seems to be a lovely walkway at the back of Oakview Village that runs parallel to Front Field but it's blocked by big steel gates at both ends going by Google Streetview. Big horrible steel fence blocking the back of Blackrock from the back of Riverside Drive as well.

I am not sure, unless you just keep going up St. Brendan's road, towards Monavalley, then you can cut down Kileen road and back onto Oakpark. But as for a route in between, I don't think there is? I used to do a lot of walking in that area when my little boy was still in a pram, and I tried a few different routes in that area to avoid the boredom of the same thing!

Yeah basically was hoping to be able to go part way of Brendan's Road and cut across through the estates over to Oakpark Road without having to go all the way up to Killeen Road. Seems to be nothing though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sometimes residents associations block pedestrian access routes between estates to prevent potential anti social behavior or people using their estate as a pedestrian rat run.

Westcourt in Caherslee to Balloonagh estate was blocked off as was an informal shortcut from Riverside/Oakview village to Blackrock are a couple of examples I can think of.

The OnTheGoMap app is really good for identifying shortest route from A to B and even includes grassy or non official paths through estates or greens when you select your start and end destination on the map. I've discovered so many new running routes during the initial pandemic 2/5km restriction with the help of it. The app is great for tracking how far you ran also!

https://onthegomap.com/#/create

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Sometimes residents associations block pedestrian access routes between estates to prevent potential anti social behavior or people using their estate as a pedestrian rat run.

Westcourt in Caherslee to Balloonagh estate was blocked off as was an informal shortcut from Riverside/Oakview village to Blackrock are a couple of examples I can think of.

The OnTheGoMap app is really good for identifying shortest route from A to B and even includes grassy or non official paths through estates or greens when you select your start and end destination on the map. I've discovered so many new running routes during the initial pandemic 2/5km restriction with the help of it. The app is great for tracking how far you ran also!

https://onthegomap.com/#/create

Yeah it's not an argument I'm particularly sympathetic to but I guess that's the reason for most of these barriers.

Thanks for the site, it doesn't look like there's any useful routes for me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah basically was hoping to be able to go part way of Brendan's Road and cut across through the estates over to Oakpark Road without having to go all the way up to Killeen Road. Seems to be nothing though unfortunately.

Where there's a will... :D

But seriously, there are no shortcuts either from Ard na Li to Racecourse Road or from Brendan's Road to Oakpark Road between Brewery Road and Killeen.
    You can get from Cluain Dara/Lisdara out past the south campus and then up Clash Road to the other side of Racecourse Road if you want to avoid Oakpark Road, but it would still be a long rising stretch. There are 4 or 5 different connections between Cluain Dara/Lisdara/Lisbeg and Ard na Li, but Old Golf Links Road for instance ends at a wall. Even walking around the complex can be difficult at times since they build that gate between the swimming pool and the playing pitches (you can walk around the pitches though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

There used to be a laneway connecting the top of Ard na Li to near Racecourse Lawn but was closed up, I want to say nearly 18 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

phormium wrote: »
    I eat scones all over the town or used to anyway pre pandemic :)

Haven't been to Ballygarry so can't comment on those but I love the raspberry ones in The Bookshelf, Ballyseedy Garden Centre do nice brown ones too, Daily Grind ones are passable but as their coffee is so nice I put up with them :)

None of the other coffee shops made any major impression on me so these are my regulars!

Love the bookshelf scones!! And the coffee is great.

• Advertisement

Apparently there was some sort of robbery of jewellery in town today around 3pm. No other details apart from a car was seen in the area but no idea what shop etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Apparently there was some sort of robbery of jewellery in town today around 3pm. No other details apart from a car was seen in the area but no idea what shop etc!

Gardai flew through town today and up Edward st.

Gardai flew through town today and up Edward st.

Wonder was it that jewellery shop on Edward Street (O'Connells?)

It was Billy Nolan's that had jewellery robbed on Saturday. Two engagement rings were stolen. I was actually not long after leaving Yummy's when this happened!
    http://traleetoday.ie/gardai-appeal-again-for-information-after-jewellery-theft-incident/?fbclid=IwAR0W1D6_4_3w7PpKZ-VBgkmmXS5h-EbIpnTrWsczTrVKXQekopqeZhn0sBU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It was Billy Nolan's that had jewellery robbed on Saturday. Two engagement rings were stolen. I was actually not long after leaving Yummy's when this happened!
    http://traleetoday.ie/gardai-appeal-again-for-information-after-jewellery-theft-incident/?fbclid=IwAR0W1D6_4_3w7PpKZ-VBgkmmXS5h-EbIpnTrWsczTrVKXQekopqeZhn0sBU
    Horrible experience for the staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Horrible experience for the staff!

Well, I guess. Being from the US, this wouldn't even make local news. One of the many reasons to be thankful for living in Ireland. And that someone cares for the staff, too, good stuff.

It could be much, *much* worse out there. Even in Tralee :P:P:P

Sean Taaffe hair salon has posted up that one of their staff members in their Tralee salon has tested positive for covid19.

https://www.facebook.com/seantaaffehair/
    'Important notice
    It’s with regret that we have to announce that one of our Tralee team members has tested positive for covid 19.
    As a precaution we are closing our Tralee salon effective immediately for a number of days .
    All team members will be tested and we will not re open unless it’s completely safe to do so .
    We are so sorry for any disruption and inconvenience caused by this .
    There are thankfully only 5 clients ( 5 too many ) that are considered close contacts and we are in contact with them at this time .
    We thank you all for your support and will update you as things progress .

Sean and the management team'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Bad time to be running a cafe now in Tralee. All due to shut down to indoor dining. Gonna be a tough few weeks for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Sean Taaffe hair salon has posted up that one of their staff members in their Tralee salon has tested positive for covid19.

https://www.facebook.com/seantaaffehair/
    'Important notice
    It’s with regret that we have to announce that one of our Tralee team members has tested positive for covid 19.
    As a precaution we are closing our Tralee salon effective immediately for a number of days .
    All team members will be tested and we will not re open unless it’s completely safe to do so .
    We are so sorry for any disruption and inconvenience caused by this .
    There are thankfully only 5 clients ( 5 too many ) that are considered close contacts and we are in contact with them at this time .
    We thank you all for your support and will update you as things progress .

Sean and the management team'

FairPlay to them for being open and honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

adam88 wrote: »
    Bad time to be running a cafe now in Tralee. All due to shut down to indoor dining. Gonna be a tough few weeks for them.

Blast it anyway! The only little outing I indulge at the moment is the odd cafe coffee, don't fancy sitting outside in the cold. It really is difficult for business and for retail, I never go down town anymore, that's any impulse buys gone too.

• Advertisement

phormium wrote: »
    Blast it anyway! The only little outing I indulge at the moment is the odd cafe coffee, don't fancy sitting outside in the cold. It really is difficult for business and for retail, I never go down town anymore, that's any impulse buys gone too.

So disappointing. Its our little Saturday morning/afternoon thing to do now with our little boy. Very hard for these businesses, especially the pubs who are barely back open and now closed again for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Does anyone know if the Mall tavern or Baileys are open next week for takeaway- sandwiches etc.?
    I will be working in Tralee on Monday and l usually eat at either one of those two places.
    Thanks

Yummy Cafe have decided to close until the level 3 restrictions are lifted. They don't feel its worth opening for take away and the limit of 15 outside is too restrictive. I don't blame them. Its very unfair on the cafes & restaurants.

The Rose hotel has to close temporarily due to a staff member testing positive for covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's not the only Kerry hotel with staff recently testing positive.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

It's not the only Kerry hotel with staff recently testing positive.

I haven't heard of any others. The Rose hotel posted it up on their fb page today.

Update: thankfully the thief of the 2 rings was caught and arrested!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Pamela Scott to close 12 of its 24 shops due to Covid
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1015/1171714-12-pamela-scott-shops-to-close/

Tralee one of the stores closing unfortunately.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1015/1171714-12-pamela-scott-shops-to-close/

Guessing by the locations of many of the stores closing, the likely reason for them closing is greedy landlords refusing rent reductions.

Hopefully this might force their hands and some will come back with offers that would enable at least some of the affected stores to remain open.

• Advertisement

They were in trouble a few years ago. Awful for the staff. That area is going to have more empty units than filled now.

Advertisement