Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    They were in trouble a few years ago. Awful for the staff. That area is going to have more empty units than filled now.
    A clever landlord would offer them a unit rent-free for 18 or 24 months just to have it occupied and generating footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

They were in trouble a few years ago. Awful for the staff. That area is going to have more empty units than filled now.

Good few units closed down there now, I see the shop that was next to Pizza Time closed down as well, the rent must be very high

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Good few units closed down there now, I see the shop that was next to Pizza Time closed down as well, the rent must be very high

That was Rockalily. She has gone online now, so she’s still in business.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    A clever landlord would offer them a unit rent-free for 18 or 24 months just to have it occupied and generating footfall.

Yeah, now they will have trouble filling them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Quackster wrote: »
    Guessing by the locations of many of the stores closing, the likely reason for them closing is greedy landlords refusing rent reductions.

Hopefully this might force their hands and some will come back with offers that would enable at least some of the affected stores to remain open.

The problem with these "greedy landlords " is that they've to pay back mortgages and other loans on these properties.

I blame the government and the little green fairies in north kerry :D..well we have to blame someone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The problem with these "greedy landlords " is that they've to pay back mortgages and other loans on these properties.

I blame the government and the little green fairies in north kerry :D..well we have to blame someone :rolleyes:
    Empty units ain't gonna pay back any loans. :rolleyes:

I had to pop up to Manor today to get a couple of things. The traffic was insane up around the roundabout near the ford garage and up on towards Mcdonalds into town. Slow going into the retail park, but not as bad.

I was expecting it to be manic in Manor, but the only queue that was a bit long was into Smyth's. The rest of the shops were fine. I don't know if there was some sort of accident in the area as I heard sirens, but the traffic was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I had to pop up to Manor today to get a couple of things. The traffic was insane up around the roundabout near the ford garage and up on towards Mcdonalds into town. Slow going into the retail park, but not as bad.

I was expecting it to be manic in Manor, but the only queue that was a bit long was into Smyth's. The rest of the shops were fine. I don't know if there was some sort of accident in the area as I heard sirens, but the traffic was crazy.

I saw something similar Friday last week seemed to be a long tailback from roundabout at Adams/Burger King going into town. I'm equally no wiser as I was going to manor also. Has Starbucks affected traffic much since opening?

E mac wrote: »
    I saw something similar Friday last week seemed to be a long tailback from roundabout at Adams/Burger King going into town. I'm equally no wiser as I was going to manor also. Has Starbucks affected traffic much since opening?

I don't think Starbucks would be the cause, but the queue of cars going into Starbucks is pretty crazy! I have been in there twice, and both times I've walked in as I have no time or interest in sitting in my car that long waiting for a coffee! The last time we went up we had trouble just getting out of our car space after as the cars going into the queue for Starbucks were blocking us. Its a bit of a disaster up there to be honest. There's not enough room for 2 drive-thru's in the same area. Its so off putting. I wonder are Fine Wines impressed as you can't even turn right into park outside their shop, you seem to have to join the drive-thru queue! Although I have seen people just turn right as its ridiculous up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I don't think Starbucks would be the cause, but the queue of cars going into Starbucks is pretty crazy! I have been in there twice, and both times I've walked in as I have no time or interest in sitting in my car that long waiting for a coffee! The last time we went up we had trouble just getting out of our car space after as the cars going into the queue for Starbucks were blocking us. Its a bit of a disaster up there to be honest. There's not enough room for 2 drive-thru's in the same area. Its so off putting. I wonder are Fine Wines impressed as you can't even turn right into park outside their shop, you seem to have to join the drive-thru queue! Although I have seen people just turn right as its ridiculous up there.

Lockdown hoarding? Is there a Covid testing center there? With the rumors of Level 5 returning, I wouldn't be surprised if it were panic buying.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Lockdown hoarding? Is there a Covid testing center there? With the rumors of Level 5 returning, I wouldn't be surprised if it were panic buying.

The test centre isn't in that area, its down near Ballymullen. We drove that direction after and there was no traffic near the test centre.

When we got into Manor carpark it was full, but the shops weren't crazy. As I mentioned, the only long queue we saw was into Smyths toy shop, the rest were fine. We didn't go into Tesco though so I don't know how busy they were. The overflow carpark near Woodies was almost empty too. Not all the traffic was going into manor, a lot were heading towards the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Is it worth the hassle? I'm only an occasional coffee drinker so I don't see the attraction. Those that I do know who can't survive an hour without coffee (my mother being one) don't rate Starbucks at all....

E mac wrote: »
    Is it worth the hassle? I'm only an occasional coffee drinker so I don't see the attraction. Those that I do know who can't survive an hour without coffee (my mother being one) don't rate Starbucks at all....

I'm not a big coffee drinker, so I'm not too fussed. It's not amazing coffee but I've had worse! Both times we went we knew the places we do like coffee from were closed so it was just easier.
    I just don't get the point of it being a drive thru!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'm not a big coffee drinker, so I'm not too fussed. It's not amazing coffee but I've had worse! Both times we went we knew the places we do like coffee from were closed so it was just easier.
    I just don't get the point of it being a drive thru!
    Is The Roast House open? The coffee there is worth the trip.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Is The Roast House open? The coffee there is worth the trip.

Only Monday to friday at the moment for take-away. We have only been to Starbucks on a Sunday afternoon. My favourite for coffee is the Ugly Mug/The Glasshouse. The Bookshelf is good too. But when they are closed then we go elsewhere...

I've not been into a coffee shop since March.
    Order my coffee online. Have my bean to cup machine and bring a coffee with me if I go out

I've not been into a coffee shop since March.
    Order my coffee online. Have my bean to cup machine and bring a coffee with me if I go out

We are considering a bean to cup coffee machine for Christmas! I am not sure what to get but nothing too expensive. As long as it has a milk frother so I can make a cappuccino or latte!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I came in from Killarney around 1.30ish and there was a huge backlog of traffic in the McDonalds queue, way back out on the actual road which was confusing things a bit I'd say.

phormium wrote: »
    I came in from Killarney around 1.30ish and there was a huge backlog of traffic in the McDonalds queue, way back out on the actual road which was confusing things a bit I'd say.

Yeah, I think that was the bulk of the traffic congestion. It was about 3pm when we were coming from the bypass direction and it was crazy then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It's sad to see places close down lately since the pandemic. I've only heard of one other hotel closed in North Kerry lately with an outbreak. Does any one else know if Covid broke out in any other hotel in Tralee? Starbucks must be doing well. I've not gone there yet since they opened. The traffic has always put me off from going in there by drive-thru. For level 3 is it only open for drive-thru not to go in does anyone know or is that for level 4?

• Advertisement

We are considering a bean to cup coffee machine for Christmas! I am not sure what to get but nothing too expensive. As long as it has a milk frother so I can make a cappuccino or latte!

I've a delonghi. Best buy ever. Particularly since March. Working from home.
    Watch out for amazon Black Friday. There is x also a thread on it in BA forum

Thanks! I think the one I spotted a while back was a delonghi. I will hang on until Black Friday for a good deal!

There will be roadworks at the level crossing in Clash from Tuesday 20th October until Saturday 24th October. No access by car or foot during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

There will be roadworks at the level crossing in Clash from Tuesday 29th October until Saturday 24th October. No access by car or foot during that time.

Are they going to work back in time!

Are they going to work back in time!

sorry typo...fixed on original post

I was looking into them aswell I’ve the morphy Richards coffee machine since last lockdown just wondering which Delonghi machine you opted for? The espresso one in the 200euro range I had my eye on if we on lockdown again. It’s handy to have when not able to get a takeaway coffee for a while. You get sick of the ordinary coffee!! Black Friday should do good deals aswell!

There will be roadworks at the level crossing in Clash from Tuesday 20th October until Saturday 24th October. No access by car or foot during that time.

I heard that alright. Alternative ways of getting around the town at least.

starlit wrote: »
    I was looking into them aswell I’ve the morphy Richards coffee machine since last lockdown just wondering which Delonghi machine you opted for? The espresso one in the 200euro range I had my eye on if we on lockdown again. It’s handy to have when not able to get a takeaway coffee for a while. You get sick of the ordinary coffee!! Black Friday should do good deals aswell!

Check out the magnifica thread in BA

Unfortunately CH chemist have cancelled their Santa's grotto this year and the Christmas parade. The County museum has also cancelled their Festive Hall.

I doubt any kids will be able to really do a proper Santa visit this year, certainly no sitting on Santa's lap for a photo etc. It will be a very different Christmas this year...especially the run up to it :(

• Advertisement

Shops all seem pretty normal in town. No queues in anywhere, especially Penneys! I know someone was up in Smyths and no queue at all in. Tomorrow may be a different story!

One good thing is I got a very last minute hair appointment today, so I'm sorted for another while!! I know the barbers and hairdressers in town are working flat out to give people appointments.

Advertisement