Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Anyone know any shortcut travelling between Tralee and Asdee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

The_Kitty wrote: »
    Anyone know any shortcut travelling between Tralee and Asdee?

No real shortcut..
    Tralee to Lisselton (via Abbeydorney and Lixnaw- dut to Dale Road being closed), then from Lisselton take the Ballylongford/Tarbert Road. Asdee will be signposted along the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

As well as the weather, early nights closing in, I detect a mood of dejection about all of this around town. We all know that Christmas is now effectively cancelled - pubs won't be re-opening for it for sure. I think it likely that we are not going to be in a much better place in 6 weeks and there will be a nasty mood about what was all this for. The populace might get very restless come early December especially if you have the Guards going around window twitching.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There will be quite a few shops opening late tomorrow evening in the town centre and in Manor.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

kn wrote: »
    As well as the weather, early nights closing in, I detect a mood of dejection about all of this around town. We all know that Christmas is now effectively cancelled - pubs won't be re-opening for it for sure. I think it likely that we are not going to be in a much better place in 6 weeks and there will be a nasty mood about what was all this for. The populace might get very restless come early December especially if you have the Guards going around window twitching.

Besides driving around a lot more than usual and checkpoints the guards didn't seem to be doing much in the first lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Something needs to be done about the traffic lights in Edward street going onto Castle street. It is only allowing about 4 cars through before changing to red. I have reported it twice to the council, but they've done nothing. Its also becoming a bottle neck on that road with the way cars are parked on either side. Its getting very frustrating!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kn wrote: »
    We are likely to see images from Belgium, and likely elsewhere in Europe, in the next few weeks akin to what we saw from Italy and Spain in February/March. That will focus minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The_Kitty wrote: »
    Besides driving around a lot more than usual and checkpoints the guards didn't seem to be doing much in the first lockdown.

I met them every Saturday morning when I wad going shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Something needs to be done about the traffic lights in Edward street going onto Castle street. It is only allowing about 4 cars through before changing to red. I have reported it twice to the council, but they've done nothing. Its also becoming a bottle neck on that road with the way cars are parked on either side. Its getting very frustrating!

Even when you get the green lights, pedestrians are oblivious and walk in front of you when you get the 4 second opportunity to go. I can never understand how such pedestrians are fearless about getting killed on the roads the way they never look left or right or observe lights when crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

ongarboy wrote: »
    Even when you get the green lights, pedestrians are oblivious and walk in front of you when you get the 4 second opportunity to go. I can never understand how such pedestrians are fearless about getting killed on the roads the way they never look left or right or observe lights when crossing.

We're just looking for an opportunity for a good claim. I'll be looking out for you next time......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 traleeblowin

Last evening my daughter and 2 friends went to the Ashe hotel looking to have a bite and drinks before lockdown. They were told it would be an hour wait so they walked to the Grand Hotel. They were told to wait 15 minutes for a table but then apparently a few friends of Mr Boyle arrived and were given the next available table. When the girls complained they were ushered into the Dining Room which was half full and the bar was also nearly full. They got their orders and then the Gardai arrived and Mr Boyle ran away and the Gardai said this is a joke and left.
    This is totally unacceptable and I think the Gardai and the court services should rethink where they bring people doing Jury service for lunch which my income tax is paying for.

Last evening my daughter and 2 friends went to the Ashe hotel looking to have a bite and drinks before lockdown. They were told it would be an hour wait so they walked to the Grand Hotel. They were told to wait 15 minutes for a table but then apparently a few friends of Mr Boyle arrived and were given the next available table. When the girls complained they were ushered into the Dining Room which was half full and the bar was also nearly full. They got their orders and then the Gardai arrived and Mr Boyle ran away and the Gardai said this is a joke and left.
    This is totally unacceptable and I think the Gardai and the court services should rethink where they bring people doing Jury service for lunch which my income tax is paying for.

I didn’t think the Grand were doing table service as they don’t really have any outdoor seating? Apart from about 4 tiny tables out on the Main Street.

Agreed but the restrictions say that establishments can only serve customers outdoors and to a maximum of 15 customers so why was the bar full and the dining room half full ?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Agreed but the restrictions say that establishments can only serve customers outdoors and to a maximum of 15 customers so why was the bar full and the dining room half full ?

It was half full because of people like your daughter complaining. Dinner with two friends from two households, you must be trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I'm sorry but who's MrBoyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Firbolg

E mac wrote: »
    I'm sorry but who's MrBoyle?
    Local Mafia boss.

Forge83 wrote: »
    It was half full because of people like your daughter complaining. Dinner with two friends from two households, you must be trolling.

Dinner with 2 sisters from 1 household. Not trolling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Why didn't they just turn around and leave?

If your daughter and her friends went inside to have dinner, they were breaking the restrictions in place at the time.

Quackster wrote: »
    If your daughter and her friends went inside to have dinner, they were breaking the restrictions in place at the time.

100%.
    The worst thing is all the sensible people do the right thing so aren’t there to point it out. The idiots congregate together and make things worse for everyone just because there is nobody there to tell them otherwise. It’s catch 22.

• Advertisement

I believe you. Thousands wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Went for a walk around town earlier on. I think there are a few shops open that are slightly stretching the definition of 'essential'.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

I went to fenit this morning a few families on the beach

Bailey43 wrote: »
    I went to fenit this morning a few families on the beach

??? is that not allowed? They may live there or in the 5km area!?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

keane2097 wrote: »
    Went for a walk around town earlier on. I think there are a few shops open that are slightly stretching the definition of 'essential'.

It's understandable that retailers would stretch things a bit, given that they spent money following the guidelines to become "Covid friendly" after the last lockdown, only to find their efforts and money wasted.

Has CH Chemist kept open all of their store or is it just the pharmacy & opticians (at the back of the shop)?

Widespread around the country by all accounts.

Haven't noticed any reduction in traffic around town either. Do folk not understand the general 'stay at home' instruction?

Quackster wrote: »
    Widespread around the country by all accounts.

Haven't noticed any reduction in traffic around town either. Do folk not understand the general 'stay at home' instruction?

I don't know if people are going to take that as seriously this time to be honest!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't know if people are going to take that as seriously this time to be honest!
    If folk don't take it seriously, it won't be very effective so either it'll just be further extended into December and beyond or a more draconian lockdown will be imposed.

• Advertisement

I also heard - and I don't even want to credit this one tbh - that the toy shop above Kellihers is staying open basically pretending to be part of the hardware shop :-/
    Is that any different though to Dunnes & Tesco keeping their drapery & homewares sections open?

Advertisement