Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    If folk don't take it seriously, it won't be very effective so either it'll just be further extended into December and beyond or a more draconian lockdown will be imposed.

Oh I agree, but from people I've spoken to I just get the feeling everyone is fed up of being told what to do now and not happy to stay within 5km or stay at home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Oh I agree, but from people I've spoken to I just get the feeling everyone is fed up of being told what to do now and not happy to stay within 5km or stay at home etc.

The choices will become starker if people don't start copping on. Quarantine zones and curfews are where we are headed if compliance isn't bought into by enough people and the health service breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Balls - I deleted the wrong post by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

??? is that not allowed? They may live there or in the 5km area!?

Probably not allowed but the morning was too nice to be stuck inside home

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Bailey43 wrote: »
    Probably not allowed but the morning was too nice to be stuck inside home

Why is it not allowed? there's no ban on going to the beach/Fenit if you live within 5km of it!

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Balls - I deleted the wrong post by mistake

which post did you delete by mistake? I can undelete if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Bailey43 wrote: »
    I went to fenit this morning a few families on the beach}

I don’t understand what’s wrong with this. It’s okay for you to be there but not a few other families. If Fenit is within 5km of their homes what is the problem? Are people supposed to lock their children in their houses? We will see fewer and fewer favourable weather days from here on in so any break in the weather should be grabbed with both hands. All within the allotted 5km of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

5km 'limit' outside of city areas is farcical. This lockdown is farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,019 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

user52873 wrote: »
    5km 'limit' outside of city areas is farcical. This lockdown is farcical.

They don't want to see a repeat of people flocking to beaches like they did during last May during Phase 3 or whatever it was called.

The members of NPHET obviously don't leave their Ivory Towers a lot if they think people will flock to the beach or the park during November.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the number of pedestrians killed on the road over the next 6 weeks is greater than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

which post did you delete by mistake? I can undelete if you want?

Ah, we might as well move on at this point - thanks anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

BPKS wrote: »
    They don't want to see a repeat of people flocking to beaches like they did during last May during Phase 3 or whatever it was called.

The members of NPHET obviously don't leave their Ivory Towers a lot if they think people will flock to the beach or the park during November.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the number of pedestrians killed on the road over the next 6 weeks is greater than usual.

Ridiculous the amount of people walking on unsuitable roads last night,got a fright with the first group, three abreast met on a bad turn, met plenty more after but was on my guard, people don't usually walk on that road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

BPKS wrote: »

Not sure that's true, particularly in Tralee. We'd usually go out to Fenit or Banna 2 or 3 evenings a week and it's always busy with people walking. Really going to miss it over the next 6 weeks. Went back to Fenit Wednesday evening before the lockdown restrictions kicked in and there were dolphins out swimming in the sea! It was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Not sure that's true, particularly in Tralee. We'd usually go out to Fenit or Banna 2 or 3 evenings a week and it's always busy with people walking. Really going to miss it over the next 6 weeks. Went back to Fenit Wednesday evening before the lockdown restrictions kicked in and there were dolphins out swimming in the sea! It was class.

Realistically driving out for a walk with social distancing in a safe walking area is safe, obviously the problem is where do you draw the line which leads to one rule for all then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Don't think anyone is going to catch covid walking out in fenit. Don't see why we can't go to outdoor areas with plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Realistically driving out for a walk with social distancing in a safe walking area is safe, obviously the problem is where do you draw the line which leads to one rule for all then

I would agree, but the problem I think is that when everything else closes, going out for a walk on the beach where there is often lots of space is probably next in line for a lot of people, so you could find them busier than usual. And it's more the meeting people while you're out there and having a catchup that is the problem - if everyone kept to themselves there shouldn't be an issue.

Dunnes are totally rearranging the drapery section. they have a lot of the clothing blocked off and are bringing forward food items (lots of tins of biscuits!). The Alcohol section has been moved all the way over to where the cleaning products were in NCR Dunnes. I don't think this is anything to do with current lockdown though and more to do with them having to have a separate section for alcohol for new alcohol separation law, which has to be done by all supermarkets and small convenience stores by November. They are basically moving it back to where the off-licence section used to be years ago.

I see that retail Ireland are calling for non-essential items to be banned from sale during lockdown. Clothing has apparently isn't allowed to be sold in supermarkets in Wales during their 2 week lockdown. I am not sure if that includes kids clothes as I would always need bits and pieces for my 4 year old as he's growing out of a lot and he's in preschool so needs new clothes regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Dunnes are totally rearranging the drapery section. they have a lot of the clothing blocked off and are bringing forward food items (lots of tins of biscuits!). The Alcohol section has been moved all the way over to where the cleaning products were in NCR Dunnes. I don't think this is anything to do with current lockdown though and more to do with them having to have a separate section for alcohol for new alcohol separation law, which has to be done by all supermarkets and small convenience stores by November. They are basically moving it back to where the off-licence section used to be years ago.

I see that retail Ireland are calling for non-essential items to be banned from sale during lockdown. Clothing has apparently isn't allowed to be sold in supermarkets in Wales during their 2 week lockdown. I am not sure if that includes kids clothes as I would always need bits and pieces for my 4 year old as he's growing out of a lot and he's in preschool so needs new clothes regularly!

I was told by a friend who was in the Childers Rd Dunnes in Limerick (her son was in UL today for lab work and as she had to wait for him she did her big shop at the same time) that they are closing off the drapery section during lockdown.

She did say they may be leaving some children’s clothes on sale but that pressure was being put on them not to profit from other outlets being closed. I would have been lost without them during the previous lockdown as we needed socks, underwear and shorts as the weather was so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Yup, was in Dunnes Horan Centre and was told the same thing by the manager there.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Was surprised (although really shouldn't have been with Dunnes) that they've waited until the last minute to get their off-licence areas compliant with the new law. Tesco did all this months ago!

No sign of Aldi or Lidl doing anything yet, although I suppose all they really need are barriers at either end of the alcohol aisles.

Was surprised (although really shouldn't have been with Dunnes) that they've waited until the last minute to get their off-licence areas compliant with the new law. Tesco did all this months ago!

No sign of Aldi or Lidl doing anything yet, although I suppose all they really need are barriers at either end of the alcohol aisles.

They can do barriers, but they have to be quite high and not see through! At least in Dunnes in the Horan centre they have had a separate section for years! I think they have to close it off though. Smaller shops like Gala or Spar will have more to do to separate it.

• Advertisement

Another shop is vacating a unit in Russel street! This time Effigy are leaving. They haven’t said where they are moving to but that they are relocating. That whole strip is almost empty now and on into bridge street. It looks awful. It will be so hard to fill all the empty units around there, especially with all this uncertainty.

Does anyone remember the article in the local papers over a year ago with Tralee chamber alliance telling us that there were big business names looking to open here! JYSK was one of them. Nothing said about it since and no one has opened!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Another shop is vacating a unit in Russel street! This time Effigy are leaving. They haven’t said where they are moving to but that they are relocating. That whole strip is almost empty now and on into bridge street. It looks awful. It will be so hard to fill all the empty units around there, especially with all this uncertainty.

Does anyone remember the article in the local papers over a year ago with Tralee chamber alliance telling us that there were big business names looking to open here! JYSK was one of them. Nothing said about it since and no one has opened!:rolleyes:

Have the Chamber actually never done anything? Other than take credit for others work?

Have a big thing at the moment telling people not to buy from Amazon etc, not a bad thing btw, but a few years ago were all talk about how great Amazon were with the work from home jobs in Kerry!

I'd say the year of roadworks about to get under way on Russel St influenced their decision.

JYSK are waiting on planning permission for the old Carpet Right unit in Manor AFAIK.

The footpaths along there give me the horrors.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The footpaths along there give me the horrors.
    At least after the upgrade, there won't be any kerbs any more.

I'd say the year of roadworks about to get under way on Russel St influenced their decision.

JYSK are waiting on planning permission for the old Carpet Right unit in Manor AFAIK.

Oh that's good! Hopefully that all works out!

At least after the upgrade, there won't be any kerbs any more.

But at points they are so narrow it's like performing a circus balancing act. Very unsafe, especially for older folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm still dubious about the safety aspect of shared space for cars and pedestrians. I wouldn't fancy walking through the narrowest part of Russell St with a twins stroller or wheelchair with cars coming from behind sharing the same flat un-segregated surface as me. Are pedestrians allowed to walk in the centre of the shared space or are they expected to keep to the edges where the footpaths no longer exist? Are cars expected to yield to pedestrians along the street? Will speed limits be introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm still dubious about the safety aspect of shared space for cars and pedestrians. I wouldn't fancy walking through the narrowest part of Russell St with a twins stroller or wheelchair with cars coming from behind sharing the same flat un-segregated surface as me. Are pedestrians allowed to walk in the centre of the shared space or are they expected to keep to the edges where the footpaths no longer exist? Are cars expected to yield to pedestrians along the street? Will speed limits be introduced?

You got it intuitively right. It scares people and that's the whole point. You don't feel safe in the shared space (neither do drivers) and that makes you behave accordingly. It is actually very safe because people move a lot more carefully than they otherwise would, it really works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think they want to stick a Mezzanine floor in the unit, so that they can have two floors.

Advertisement